Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra - Owners hangout

Comments

• Options
    am70043am70043 Member Posts: 22
    BRAND NEW 2002 SILVERADO 1500 LS EXT.CAB PEWTER OUTSIDE TAN INSIDE COLTH SEATS---OPTIONS---4.8L ALUM.RIMS DEEP TINT WINDOWS. PRICE IS $20,550.00 PLUS TTL. DOES THIS SOUND GOOD. STICKER PRICE IS $26,811.00. JUST WONDERING WHAT OTHERS ARE PAYING AT END OF YEAR PRICES.
  • Options
    woolybackwoolyback Member Posts: 45
    I agree Dave I've been impressed myself with distance factor but like you I've had problems with it at times. When I go to the local supermarket and park in the spaces close to the store my keyless entry will not work but if I park a few spaces farther away it works fine.
  • Options
    tafostertafoster Member Posts: 13
    Anyone know a good place to get replacement shocks for my Silverado? I live in Carson CA (South Bay area). I'm tired of the feel of the original shocks. Would like something a little stiffer. Just not sure what to get, been following the posts and seems like Bilsteins are the way to go. BUt need a good shop to buy and install. Also thinking about getting rid of the General tires but 1 thing at a time.
  • Options
    mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    The price sounds good to me. Especially considering I thing the 2003's are too ugly to drive.

23% discount is pretty good.

Mike L
  • Options
    cowboyjohn1cowboyjohn1 Member Posts: 125
    Try B&D Alignment, 15812 Lakewood Blvd, Bellflower CA. They are on the corner of Lakewood and Alondra, just off the 91 Freeway. They have been there for 35 years and do all kinds of front ends, brakes, and specialty work.
    cowboyjohn
  • Options
    gmengineman1gmengineman1 Member Posts: 32
    To Dreyfuss: The 4-L-80-E tranny has lost at least the rear pump and probably several valves have overheated and now comes the sad news. The transmission is due for a rebuild! Hopefully the case is at least good for a core charge. I would suggest you stay away from the dealership shops and ask your local sources of information for references to an independent locally owned transmission shop. Get an estimate. They'll want to tear it down and there will be a charge. Do it though and have them rebuild it with an RV shift programming kit, external cooler (after market item) and replace the torque converter. You should then be good for another 200,000 miles. That is really good for the 4-L-80-E! Good luck!
  • Options
    jimmymac69jimmymac69 Member Posts: 1
    I have a '96 Sierra with a 4.3l and a 5 speed manual. Recently my 'Service engine soon' light came on. I had it scanned and got codes P0153 and P1153. Both refer to the 'Bank 2, Sensor 1'. Looking under the truck, there are four sensors. One after each manifold, one before the cat converter, and one after the converter. I have an OEM service manual, but there is not a diagram that shows or calls out the individual sensors. The manual refers to them as 'Bank1,Sensor1','Bank2,Sensor1','Bank1,Sensor2','Bank1,Sensor3'......I just need to know which one is which when I'm looking under my truck. Anyone know where 'Bank 2, Sensor 1' is?
  • Options
    nobitenobite Member Posts: 3
    Hey, guys, I'm looking at the above truck from a private owner. $24,000 asking price. Truck has 45,000 miles. Gentleman's son can no longer make payments. Truck appears to be in good condition. Does this seem like a fair price? Anything I should know about problems with this year and make?

Thanks!
  • Options
    Price seems a little steep to me. I bought a 2000 2500 (new style) LS 4x4 for $24,000 new.

But, it doesn't matter what I think. The only thing that matters is what you think.

Have you looked at the Edmunds True Market Value or Kelly Blue Book?

Mike L
  • Options
    nobitenobite Member Posts: 3
    Yeah, I checked out Edmunds. My mistake on the exact model. The 2000 Silverado did not come with a 454. This is a 2000 2500 Fleetside with the 454 and several options. Based on what I found in Edmunds, the price does seem to be a bit high. I was mainly wondering if there was any word out on this model and year of truck having problems. I haven't begun to negotiate the price yet.

Thanks.
  • Options
    That's the old body style and old drivetrains. They've been pretty well sorted out over the last dozen years. I wouldn't expect too many problems to exist in that vintage truck.

Mike L
  • Options
    My first problem with a 2001 LT with On-Star and the ElectroChromic mirror. The temperature gauge and compass suddenly decided to quit. Anyone have any idea what could have caused this? And how to fix it? I have the complete shop manuals and found nothing.
    cowboyjohn
  • Options
    gator36gator36 Member Posts: 294
    I would check at the connector to the mirrror to see if there is power. Otherwise it would be replaced as a unit under warranty.
  • Options
    blackmax200blackmax200 Member Posts: 255
    I believe Bank 2 Sensor 1 is the right side before the cat.

hope this helps
    matthew
  • Options
    allchevyallchevy Member Posts: 28
    I understand the set of manuals for a 2001 Silverado from Helms are about $170.00
    Are they informative and worth the cost?
  • Options
    Are they worth the cost?

To a mechanic - yes!
    To my sister - no!
    To me - yes.

Kind of depends if you need them, or are going to use them.

I've found mine invaluable for making minor wiring changes - running a non-factory foglight switch without running any new wires through the firewall; wiring up driving lights, again without any new wiring; locating fuses and connectors; changing fuel filter; adjusting the parking brake; etc.

Mike L
  • Options
    ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    i thought they were $120 not $170
  • Options
    blackmax200blackmax200 Member Posts: 255
    Yes, they have significant value to help anyone that wants to know more about their vehicle. If you are the least bit mechanicaly inclined and work on vehicles that you own, the set is worth it.

matthew
  • Options
    allchevyallchevy Member Posts: 28
    Thanks for the reviews-they definitely seem to be useful and $120.00 makes it easier too!
    Is it true the 2002 manuals are only availible on disk??
  • Options
    tapper99tapper99 Member Posts: 10
    I've read through numerous posts dealing with aftermarket exhaust. I had pretty much decided on Borla after reading as much as I could find on the message board. However, after doing some checking I haven't been able to find an aftermarket system of any sort. Gibson may have a single side exhaust option-but that isn't an option in my book. Has anybody bought a system for a 2002 2500 HD 6.0??
  • Options
    noobie1noobie1 Member Posts: 326
    If you haven't already, my first look would be the fuses. I checked the owner's manual, but couldn't find it listed individually so it's apparently grouped with something else. OnStar? Is the OnStar display still lighted? Or, is anything else electrical not working?

-David
  • Options
    tafostertafoster Member Posts: 13
    I read a post on another thread about it being dangerous to have ABS brakes on your tow vehicle and have surge brakes on your trailer. Why? My horse trailer has surge brakes; 2001 Silverado ABS. Trailer with 2 horses is around 4,500 lbs. Should I be worried?
  • Options
    I put a set of LTX A/T's on my truck just before we left on vacation. 7 weeks and 10,000 miles later, I can give you my impressions.

The tires I took off were Firestone SteelTex A/T 245/75-16 LR'E's with about 24K on them. Plenty of tread left (I put them on my other truck), reasonable traction, quiet, comfortable, with a small vibration that would come and go.

The Michelin's are 235/85-16 LR'E's. I chose this size for a couple of reasons: first, they are 5%taller than the stock tires, but still recommeded for fitment on the stock 6.5" wheels. They have the same load capacity as the stock tires (3042 lbs @ 80psi). They are slighter narrower, but don't look skinny on the truck. The added height is noticable (same height as a 265/75-16), but not objectionable. A narrower tire works well in snow, surface mud and hard surfaces. And a narrow wheel/tire has less side to side balance problems than a wider set does.

When the tires were installed, I was disappointed with the amount of balance weights needed - I always thought Michelins were quality tires and needed very little weight. The tires took 0.5, 5.5, 6.0, and 7.5 ounces to balance. Seems like a lot of weight to me. The F'stones took 3.5 oz max to balance.

On the road, the tires are smoother riding than the F'stones were. The slight periodic vibration I had noticed before was gone. The tires are slightly noiser, but only slightly. The tread is quite tough. Several hundred miles of poor dirt and gravel roads in Labrador did not cause any chunking or chipping of the tread, unlike the Firestones that chunked quite a bit going up the Dalton Highway in Alaska.

All in all, I like these tires. The Michelins run about $50/tire more than some other well known brands, but I am happy the purchase and would do it again.

Mike L
  • Options
    noobie1noobie1 Member Posts: 326
    To add to post #2122, after numerous trial and error removals, the fuse of interest is labeled IGN 1 (10 amp) and is located in the fuse panel on the driver's side of the dash. You'll find it illustrated on page #6-78 of your owner's manual. As you probably know, there are a variety of spares located in the fuse panels.

-David

Mike; Sounds like a dream vacation to me.
  • Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    I recently purchased my second set of Michelins. Costco had balanced the tires and I noticed one tire with a 5 oz. weight. I asked if they could remount the tire. After the remount/balance, new weight was 2 oz. Course they were more than willing to do it for me cause the first time around, they forgot to balance the tires and the second time ended with the 5 oz. weight. Imagine driving on the freeway with four new, unbalanced tires.....oh what a feeling...
  • Options
    gvoigtgvoigt Member Posts: 63
    Got a look at the '03 Silverado at the 2002 Ducks Unlimited Fest in Oshkosh yesterday. Nice looking rig, finally GM got the seats right. The only example they had was a crew cab dually which is what I am after (but a GMC). The rear seats fold down for a large flat storage area. My German Shepard will love it!

But what caught my eye was a sawed off Tahoe that was really trick. It had a rear seat and a convertible bikini top over the rear cargo area. The rear deck opens up like a hatchback and the rear seats fold down. There was no information on display with the vehicle, but one of the reps said it was a concept. This is definite rig for the street scene.

As last year, GM was pushing the Avalanche, but the rest of the mfgs were going after us pickup truck owners and secondly the SUV crowd.

The one nice thing about DU's show is you can drive the vehicles and ATVs you always wanted to on an 'off road' setting. The only thing not permitted on the course was the dually. :(
  • Options
    uncommonmanuncommonman Member Posts: 65
    Two of the local dealers here in Vestal, NY have several of the '03 trucks in stock, without window stickers, of course. Most of them have the controls for the radio on the steering wheel & the knobs at the radio look different than the '02's. Also the AC controls are different, but are in the same location as the '02's. The front end (bumper)is a little different but the truck still has the "bass mouth" look. There also was a 2500 HD Sierra with a new black metallic paint, which looks very, very dark gray with silver metal flakes in it, and a 1500 Sierra with the same non-metallic black as the '02's. The Silverado has bigger changes than the Sierra with all new front fenders and hood, similar the the Avalanche (but nicer looking, IMHO). There was a 2500 HD Silverado truck with those "bubble" taillights that look similar to some of the Japanese cars.
  • Options
    gene593gene593 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2000 LS 2WD 4.8 with 28K miles. The engine knocks & pings, not all of the time, but pretty close to it. It's not the start up knock I've seen some people write about. It does it going down the road, up hills, even cruising on flat road.
    I was wondering if anyone else experienced this problem and if so what fixed it. It has done this since I bought it but it seems every time it gets near the dealer it stops.
  • Options
    lwittorflwittorf Member Posts: 96
    Didn't you have a wright up on changing out the grease fittings on your chevey? I tried to take out the ones that go strength up on the steering arms that are a royal pain to get at with right angle ones and the hex aren't deep enough to get on to un screw them are they threaded or are they press in? Please email me if you can help. lwittorf@hotmail.com thanks
  • Options
    txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    one I haven't heard in awhile. I lived in Marathon. The new tailights look a little like the Trailblazer to me. The front doesn't seem as bad as the Avalanche for some reason. But I still don't see it as an improvement. Best change GM could have made is to put the current Sub/Tahoe grille in the pickups. I do like the addition of the dual range air and the power-folding mirrors. Only way my truck fits in the garage is to fold in the mirrors. (at least one of 'em)
  • Options
    ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    I changed one of mine to a 45 degree zerk. I believe it took a 6mm socket.

Ryan
  • Options
    One of my Silverado's has a tendency to knock and ping. Running premium stops the rattles, and gives me about 10% mileage and more power at the same time.

The truck acts like the timing is 5 degrees too advanced, but it can't be reset (at least not by me).

Mike L
  • Options
    The zerk fittings are threaded (6mm) and take a 10mm socket (11/32" will work). I couldn't get the factory zerk out of one of the tie rod ends on my 99. So, I just fight with it when it comes time to grease it. The other ones came right out easily.

Mike L
  • Options
    bballabballa Member Posts: 56
    Hi, new to this board, though I have read many posts. I have a 2001 Silverado 1500 LS ext-cab 5.3lt.I have been thinking about replacing the factory speakers and living with the factory head unit but I don't know how much power the head unit puts out and if it is capable of driving good after market speakers. Has anyone replaced just the speakers with good results? What brand(s). I like the looks and the functionality of the head unit but would consider replacing it as well.
  • Options
    noobie1 - Thanks for the comeback and research you did. I also looked through my maintenance manuals and the operator's manual and found essentially nothing. I also looked for information on the On-Star which works fine, even tho the compass/temp went out. The manuals have nothing on it, but the operator's manual did provide some information, but on a different system/setup than mine. I presume it was an earlier model. Mine is 2001 LT. Took it to the local dealership (30 miles of an unnecessary round trip for two vehicles), and dropped it off. About an hour later, the technician called and said nothing was wrong with it, that I had turned it off. I asked how I did that. He said that one of the buttons on the mirror next to the On-Star buttons controlled the power to the comp/temp indicators. ( I was glad of that as I was picturing someone tearing out the headliner to get at the problem.) I told him about the manuals, and he said the manuals are always a couple of years behind. So after a second round trip for two vehicles, I decided I am going to send a message to Chev. Customer Service and tell them I want some manual updates to include the correct information on what I bought from them. Probably won't hear anything back. What apparently happened is that I was using the On-Star driving down a country road in Montana and pushed the wrong button. For those of you wondering which button it is, it is the left most button on the mirror, and is a circle with a line through it.

MANUAL COST. I ordered a complete set the same day I ordered the pickup. Got the manuals about a month after I got the pickup and the dealer charged me $129. When I opened the box, there was a charge slip from Helms which indicated $99. They are worth the money - even tho they know nothing about Temp/compass indicators.
    cowboyjohn
  • Options
    jukenmanjukenman Member Posts: 2
    I have a 99 ext-cab ls with the 5.3. I replaced the front speakers with sony xplodes and the rear with rockfords. I also added jenson box speakers under the rear seats. I have 50 watt amp powering the fronts and 100 amp powering the 4 rear speakers. I still have the delco head unit. IMO, I wouldn't bother changing the speakers if I wasn't going to change the head unit and add a couple amps. The head unit is the weakest part of my system. I became a Dad about a year ago so my priorities have changed. Otherwise, I would probably replace the head unit.
  • Options
    lwittorflwittorf Member Posts: 96
    Thank you all for the info will try tomorrow to get that stupid zerk out the one I am having trouble with is the one on the pass side that you have to come in from the top to get I sure don't know why they didn't put a 90 in there in the first place.
  • Options
    sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    HEY uncommon: Syracuse ny here !

TX YANK: HEY !

RAYT2: How was the dog show in Ontario ?
    Guess we couldn't hook up. I had to stay in
    Hannibal all weekend ! Firemans field days
    here....Bar a MAD house But $$$$$$
    See ya in Poughkeepsie Oct 12 at the snow plow
    BBQ! We gotta compare knockers !

Just turned 12k miles on my 01 2500 !
    And just bought a new 2002 Deville too !
    My 96 Caddy had to go !........geo
  • Options
    rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    Tapper, Go to Borla website or call their 800 number for local distributor and ask them if a catback system is available for your truck, I bought mine thru Summit Racing, so you can check their website or call them too. I have the setup on my 2000 Silverado 2500 w/5.3 with the duals coming out behind each rear wheel. My profile has info on truck and a link to pics of my Borla setup. I installed them at 700 miles right after I bought the truck, they sound even better now w33k on them. Gibson's are garbage and are much louder than I wanted IMO.

Sonja, yup missed ya again and will miss ya on 10/12, that's the Burnham Boilers 200 Nascar Busch North series finalle at Limerock Park in Connecticut that weekend. I go every year for past 8-9 years now with the camper and stay the weekend, campings free just gotta buy the event ticket.
    We came back on Monday from Ontario, passed your way around noontime, got off for gas at exit 51 Sunoco then back on the road. The wife now has a new Canadian Champion Siberian Husky and one other who needs a couple more points to get hers, so in all she was very happy with the show and results with her dogs.
    We took the 1 hour boat ride tour of the castle this year, and picked out all the islands we would like to own while we were at it(in another life) LOL. That area of Thoasand Islands never ceases to amaze me every year we go up that way. To see some of the boats and houses on the islands ya gotta wonder how they do it! I see we missed the big poker run scheduled for this weekend on the St. Lawrence River too! Damn! Saw quite a few of those race boats headed that way on our way back. Well sorry we missed ya again but there's always next year.

Ray T.
  • Options
    sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    Man this week is JAMMING ! The Everstart battery
    fishing tourney is in town..Booked solid....

Was at the Chev. dealer getting my FREE oil
    change. Scopeing (spl)out the 2 2003s they had.
    1 base 1500 4x4 ac, plow prep,trailer pkg, cd
    21K with bubble tail lights.
    1 3500 4 door 4x4 dual wheels, dura, allie, loaded
    out 41k.....NO bubble tail lights ! Just the reg.
    ones........Weird huh ?..geo

Ray2.......Darn it I wanted to compare knockers !
  • Options
    uncommonmanuncommonman Member Posts: 65
    Perhaps the reason you haven't heard from Vestal, NY in a while is everyone who could, left town, including all of the good paying employers. Backfill has come with NY City sending their undesireables here because it's cheaper to house them in a depressed area like Broome County. We now have two rival gangs from the city who live here and shoot people. And they cannot pronounce Syracuse. To them it's "Syracuuu". That's the downside. On the upside, there are now PLENTY of Sierras and Silverados to be had here, just lots of local folks can't afford to buy one. If you want a new truck there are plenty of them available in Vestal, NY -- both 02's and 03's..
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Join us NOW for a chat with Brent Romans -- everything trucks! 8 pm ET/5 pm PT.

Click here!

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/townhallchat.html

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    Cortland County isn't much better. But I'm amazed every time I go up at the amount of new Homes I see. (And the new Silverados and Sierras). I don't where the people are working. Most of the small dairy farms are gone.
  • Options
    I think your comments about new people, new housing, etc. is going on all over the country. In Orange Co. CA, a new 1000 house development is going in on top of the sage brush, Stillwater Co. Mont. has got house from one end to the other on the Stillwater River, Douglas Co. Nebr. is eliminating farmland by the thousands of acres for housing, and Benton Co. Wash has no economic downturn at all with 7000 new jobs coming in and contractors who can't build houses fast enough. Yes, txyank, I too wonder where they get the money for all them new houses and all them new cars, Chevy and Ford pickups setting in front. Most of them are not parked in the garage cause the garages are too small.
    cowboyjohn
  • Options
    jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    I need you to perform a test on your trucks. Very simple. When your gas gauge is reading between 1/4 and 3/4 level, and you are driving at any speed between 10 and 45 MPH, shift the automatic tranny to neutral, apply the brakes normally, and observe the fuel gauge. Look for sudden jerky movement toward empty, or completely empty with the "Low Fuel Light" coming on. When putting the truck back in gear, the gauge may or may not return to the correct reading. If it doesn't, turning the vehicle off and back on will reset the problem. While the problem first appeared by shifting to reverse while not moving, the failure will now occur every time the shift lever is moved to neutral with the vehicle moving and the brakes applied. Sounds like an odd set of conditions till you realize how often you slow your truck and shift to reverse (going through neutral to get there) while you are still moving slowly forward. The problem can sometimes occur when the truck is not even moving. Just start, shift to drive and then to neutral and boink, gas gauge reads empty.

This first showed up when I would pull up in front of the house and put the truck into reverse to back into the driveway. Almost every time, the gauge would quit working. The dealer has spent three weeks on the problem, replaced the complete instrument cluster and the sending unit. I have over 20 years in electronic product engineering and I suspect a problem in either the ECM (engine control module) or the BCM (body control module). GMC has decided to not persue the problem any further and has left the dealer hanging out to dry. All agree there is a problem but don't know what to do next. So, I am going to work on the problem and determine what is wrong. The dealer has agreed to supply whatever parts and documentation I need. The purpose of this little exercise I am asking of you brother truck owners is to determine whether I am dealing with a single point failure or a design defect across many vehicles. Either way, when the problem is solved, I will post the fix here. When responding (with or without the failure) please give details as I have on my truck so I can look for trends based on equipment.

Thanks for your time,

Jim Flemmons

2000 Sierra 2500 w/ 6.0L, Auto, 3.73 gears, and 18K miles.
  • Options
    xyz71xyz71 Member Posts: 179
    The guage is set up so it will keep a constant reading as you are going down the road (truck in gear) - so that every little bump or turn does not impact the fuel level reading. If you just give it some time / drive a few miles the guage will adjust itself back to the correct reading.

I park on a hill almost every day - if I am pointed up hill my guage will read that I have 3/4 of a tank - when I really have only 1/2 a tank. If I park on the same hill - but point down it will read only 1/4 tank (even causing the low fuel light to come on - I never saw this as a problem or defect -
  • Options
    b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Thinking of buying either a '03 reg cab SWB or a ext cab SWB with 5.3L and 3.73 rearend.
    This truck will be modified for better handling and performance.
    Do you guys know where I can find the weight of each one of these vehicles, and the weight of the
    stepside version?
    My goal is to get the lightest truck I can find for performance reasons.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    the lightest would be the Reg. Cab SWB with the fewest options. Edmunds lists the weight for most vehicles but I doubt any difference would be noted for Sportside vs Fleetside.
  • Options
    Somebody told me the ext cab was about 200 lbs more.
    I read somewhere that the Sportside bed is made of SMC, which should be lighter.
    Obviously the reg cab is lighter but I need to know the weight. If it is 4400 lbs I might just wait and step down to the new Colorado, or find a pre '99 which weighs less than 4000lbs.
  • Options
    I found it on edmund's.
    They are saying the reg cab is 4142lbs.
    and the Ext. cab is 4555lbs.
    About 400lbs more, which is significant.
    Edmunds is saying this is the V6 model, although i expect it is the v8 model. I doubt seriously that the ext cab model weighs 4700lbs+ if I factor the extra weight of the V8.
This discussion has been closed.