Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra - Owners hangout

Comments

• Options
    sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    HOLD UP ! On that purchase! GM is sending coupons to GM employee/family purchasers to give to NON GM family that allows them to get the GM employee/family price. Remember GM employees DO NOT pay advertising fees or DOC fees. Employee price is Lower than Supplier price.
    One of the guys on the CTS thread has 2 of them. He is willing to GIVE them away! I will be giving mine away also. Heck when/if they come I will send ya one! He got his Thursday!

Also ya better bust the move with the GM card points! I know GM card is changing the rules on GM card points when used on a employee/supplier in July. Gonna cut your points from 5% to 1% .

If ya need the GM employee price to start the dicker proceess with the dealer e-mail me the VIN#, dealer name and zip code...........geo
  • Options
    noobie1noobie1 Member Posts: 326
    Rough idle: Mine's an 8.1L. This is my first fuel injected vehicle which leaves a question mark because of unfamiliarity. But, I'm guessing mine is ignition related. It feels like one cylinder is misfiring intermittently. I changed the plugs with no difference. It's still under warranty so I'll take it in as soon as I work up the ....
    I know this doesn't help much but at least you know your not alone. Will post if resolved.

-David
  • Options
    ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    Thanks alot I sent you a pm over on the other site haha
  • Options
    bballabballa Member Posts: 56
    I also have a problem with a rough idle. I notice it when I come to a stop or put the trans into park. I have posted this here before and got zero response. I took it in to the dealer to be checked out and they said no codes came up from the computer so there is not an idle problem. Something different I have noticed lately is a large amount of brake dust, only on the left front wheel. The other three are fairly clean. Anyone have some answers, comments, advice?
  • Options
    seeligseelig Member Posts: 590
    came back here to read (and hopefully enjoy) this site again, but just as i was into a thread about a 1500 transmission failure, i see it was "snipped" and suggested to be posted in another topic thread, of which i could find no follow up.
    then i see that 85% of the board is "read only".........makes me wonder where i can post the current problem i'm having with my '00 tranny and what to do about it.
    the truck has 90K on it, and is still under GM's 100K warranty, but where do i post my question?
  • Options
    www.gm-trucks.com

:)
  • Options
    downeast1downeast1 Member Posts: 18
    It appears that chev has not solved the problem of the steering clunk on the intermediate steering shaft. My 03 Z-71 started last week and about drove me crazy, 14500 miles on it. The dealer took it for a couple of hours, told me they could not find any noise and the shaft had plenty of grease.. I got the truck back and it still was making the noise, got it home and looked up the parts in a manual and fiddled with the shaft seeing if anything was loose etc. Well damned if it did not stop making the noise. Only thing I figure is me shaking the shaft and whatever must have worked some grease into the area that was dry. I had the same problem with my 99 GMC Z-71 and the dealer replaced the steering shaft on that one.
  • Options
    fsr224fsr224 Member Posts: 4
    I just traded my 99 Sierra Reg Cab for a 03 Sierra XCab.I notice the radio on my 03 isn't nearly as loud as my 99. Has anybody else noticed this?

Also, I am trying to install my XRadio and I am having a hard time with the wiring. Because everything is turnded on and off by a serial bus, its difficult to find a 12 volt feed that works with the radio(same on/off). Any Ideas?
  • Options
    catamcatam Member Posts: 331
    Anyone know any good places to try to unload the factory stereo/cass. I just bought a 96 1 ton dually and the first order of business was to ungrade to a CD stereo. Thanks.
  • Options
    dp279871dp279871 Member Posts: 4
    Hi,
       I am brand new to the board and am going to purchase a new truck within the next 2 weeks to a month. I am looking at the Silverado, the Tundra and Dodge Rams and Dakotas. I think i am more leaning toward the Silverado or the Tundra. Either truck would be extended cab, 4wd, v8 with a towing and off road package. Without getting into the great American versus [non-permissible content removed] truck debate, could anyone advise me as to any problems they are having with their Silverados or dealership issues? I am currently driving a 13 year old toyota 4wd that has never had any real service issues so long term reliabilty is a concern. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
             Dan
  • Options
    kg11kg11 Member Posts: 530
    About a year ago my 8.1 had a rough idle. I took it to the dealer twice before they found a code.
    Replaced the CAM POSITION SENSOR
    No more prob.

kip
  • Options
    Sorry for the delay......Been bustin' hump all week getting our 1000 Islands motel open by Friday.
    GMC huh?,,,,Had me stumped for a minute!
    GM family first site is down at the moment will try it later today for price!
    Mom, my uncle, or I haven't gotten those coupons yet! Will call GM family hotline today and ask if they sent us any!.............geo
  • Options
    hogboyhogboy Member Posts: 84
    Dan, I presently have a 2000 half ton with the Z71 package. Only problems I have had are the clunking in the steering wheel (lube the intermediate steering shaft) replace the sliding rear window and I think 1 minor factory recall. I've driven Dodge, Ford and Nissan trucks over the past 28 years. If you don't need a full size truck then the Tundra or Dakota will be fine. If you are over 6ft tall then the Silverado or Ram will offer more stretch & comfort. One thing I neglected to get on this truck that I won't in the future is the limited slip rear. I've had good and bad dealers across all of them. The new redesigned Rams with the hemi engine are sweet, especially if you are going to tow or haul heavy things. Diesel engines rule torque, cost more upfront but payoff in the long haul. Drive them all and buy the one that puts the biggest smile on your face. Just MHO. Good luck with your decision.
  • Options
    thanks man i appreciate it.

i may order an 04 will it still apply?
  • Options
    dp279871dp279871 Member Posts: 4
    Hogboy,
    thanks for the response. I agree i do need to drive them all and see what i like best. I think Chevy offers me the best deal for the money. I am going to do their 24 hour test drive. I think my main concern was long term reliability. The toyota i have now has done things i should have never asked the truck to do and has never given me a major problem but they are about 4,000 more than the chevy is and the silverados are a well designed truck it seems. I dont have anything to tow just yet and dont have any place to go offroad anymore but want the flexibility if i decide to. Good point about the limited slip diff. Thanks for the input. i will keep researching and keep you posted.

Dan
  • Options
    Finally got thru...Arrival blue huh?
    GM employee/family deal $18,875 minus rebate, GM card points, etc.....

That program is called GM in the Driveway program.
    Each current GM employee will recieve 2 coupons to give away as they please.
    My uncle and I won't get any.....BUMMER!
    My mom should get hers since she is on disability and is considered current. They were mailed out last week so will be checking the mail and keep ya posted! They DO have a expiration date on them
    tho. Guy on phone didn't know exact date.
    Start with that price I posted and go from there.
    Keep your fingers crossed that mom gets the coupons!
  • Options
    thanks
  • Options
    2timer2timer Member Posts: 27
    I decided to get rid of my 00 sierra xcab and get a new 03 sierra slt carbon metallic extended cab 5.3l with quadrasteer and power everything(still trying to figure out all the buttons).
    After driving a month so far no probs (knock on wood). I think I am in love with this truck. The quadrasteer is Awsome, you really have to try it out if you haven't I still cannot believe how tight you turn! Now I just gotta get some toys to go on it!!
  • Options
    rynobrownrynobrown Member Posts: 2
    I just bought an 02 Silverado with the 5.3 liter. Love the truck. I am about ready to change the oil in the engine. I noticed that the manual said that the oil capacity is 6 liters. Is anyone else putting in that much oil in their engines. My neighbor says that when he puts in that much oil, the pressure will fluctuate with the RPM's between 40 and 60+ psi. Is this normal?

Any help/info would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    the 5.3 takes 6 qts of oil. Have been doing so for 35K miles now
  • Options
    rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    Like Ryan said, 6 qts. oil w/filter change(not liters) on the 5.3 engine. You sure you read that right ?
    I change mine every 5k and use regular 5w30 dino juice, some change @3k intervals and use synthetic oil, your choice and wallet !

Did you get a 02 leftover? Ext. Cab? 2w or 4 wd? Auto or manual trans?

Ray T.
  • Options
    rynobrownrynobrown Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the replys. I actually have had it about a year, but I milked the dealership for three free oil changes when I bought it. This was the first time I had to change the oil myself. You are right, it is 6 quarts and not liters.

It's a charcoal 1500 LS extended cab 4x4. Love the truck. Had a couple of problems with it so far.

1. Body Molding piece came off. (minor)
    2. Needed new speaker in passenger door. (minor)
    3. Transmission was shifting funny when you left from a stand still. It was like it was stuttering when it shifted. It would only happen when you took off kind of slow. If you got on it a little more it would shift just fine. Took it in and the dealer called Chevy directly. Supposedly the problem was with the grounding of the electrical system in the transmission. They re-ground it and it seemed to clear up the issue. It did happen again the other day, but can't get it to repeat.

Overall a pretty good truck though. Wish I had more money to pull some toys behind it!!!

Do any of the rest of you see your oil pressure fluctuate with the RPM's? Is this normal?
  • Options
    Oil pressure fluctuation is normal between idle and applied throttle. At idle mine shows around 40 psi under throttle it's at 60 psi.
    Had same transmission stutter you talk about, went to dealer they reprogrammed trans. It has repeated but I ain't gonna worry about it anymore.

Ray T
  • Options
    Well today i took a trip to cut our grass at our cottage. Left at 9am while driving down the road heard a loud thud. Didnt think anything of it. Leaving the cottage at 3 noticed my windshield looks like it was shot on the outside (quarter size crack) and there is a long crack about 6in and a few smaller 3in cracks also. They all are extending towards where the rearview mirror is attached.

So how much is this gonna set me back? Any of you had to replace the windshield on your truck? Man this sucks. I also broke a window in our trailer at the lake while cutting grass (shot a rock out of the mower). Today was not a good day with me and glass
  • Options
    blackmax200blackmax200 Member Posts: 255
    Hehe...

Sorry to hear about that man... figure on 3 bills if your insurance doesn't cover it.

matthew
  • Options
    gad241gad241 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 02 Silverado LS, 5.3L A/T. When I start forward from a stop with minimum throttle, I feel a rumble from the tranny. Has anybody else notice this? No rumble noticed when more gas is applied. Another problem that I have noticed is a rod knock after the engine has been shut down and restarted. I have heard other Chevy engines (V8)do this too. Dealer told me it was crank shaft back lash.
  • Options
    Are you sitting down? GM pickup windsheild installed almost $700 bucks!.........
    Seen post at PUTC.

GOOD NEWS: A friend of my moms was at our motel this weekend. Bob was saying he got some kind of coupon from GM in the mail Friday. Hes gonna check it closely when he gets home today. If its
    the DEAL ones, he will give them up!
  • Options
    ill find out tomorrow about the window cost. My mom knows a guy who owns a glass shop and my dad had one replaced in his S-10 for like $100
  • Options
    iamgwciamgwc Member Posts: 15
    New to the Silverado board. I searched through the past messages and never really found a complete answer on this .... I recently replaced my '00 Silverado with a '03 - both with the 4800 series engine. Any thoughts on why GM changed the Oil Filter from the PF59 to the PF44? I just changed the oil and had PF59 left over from the '00 - same diameter just longer. I put it on and it seems to work fine. Is there any advantage/disadvantage to using a PF44 vs a PF59?

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    got a price today for $168 :D it pays to know people in high places
  • Options
    uncommonmanuncommonman Member Posts: 65
    One thing to keep in mind is this - if you want it to look exactly like the original, you have to get the same brand windshield. The black perimeter is typically different between brands. A LOF and a PPG will be somewhat different, and a Mexican made windshield will be different still. If it doesn't matter to you, than you're all set. But if it does, you may want to quiz the installer beforehand as to exactly what you're getting. I had this problem with a new Corvette I once had which a cement truck threw a rock at. The PPG windshield they put in did not match the original LOF glass.
  • Options
    sonet1sonet1 Member Posts: 7
    My 2002 GMC Sierra SLE, 5.3L engine, has had a vibration at about 700-800 RPM since new. You can put the transmission in DRIVE and hold the brake and rev it to 700 rpm and it vibrates enough that you can feel it everywhere, it even causes rattles under the dash like crazy. It does it also in PARK but not quite as bad. It seems to be a lot worse when the engine is cold than when hot. The local Service department disabled all accessories and then agreed that it was in the engine. It seems to be the strongest at the rear of the engine. They tried another 2002 vehicle on the lot and it had the same vibration. They then decided that it must be a normal condition and told me that they couldn't fix it. Has anyone else had this problem and if so is there any solution to the problem????? If not then does anyone have any suggestions about where to look for a solution. There is something else about the engine that I've noticed and that is the oil pressure. Don't know whether this would have anything to do with the vibration but when cold the oil pressure will peg at 80psi and when driving it will set on 70psi. This seems a little high to me for a truck engine. Any thoughts on this??? Thanks in advance for any suggestions!!!
  • Options
    bspzbspz Member Posts: 35
    I think the only difference is the length, which will give you more filtering surface area with the longer one.
  • Options
    Could be the cat converter sheild buzzing. My 01 does it sometimes. I have read about the baffels in the muffler going bad also. Get ya a long pry bar and wedge it between the frame/body and cat and/or sheild. Put a little pressure on it. Then check for buzzing. Do the same along the exaust system.
    .........geo
  • Options
    txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    Doesn't the "F" in LOF stand for FORD?? Isn't that Lobby-Owens-Ford? Tell me I'm wrong.
  • Options
    well after about an hr and a half its replaced. Total cost $168.85. Looks exactly like stock. List price on the window was $637 and the adhesive charge of $28 was waived
  • Options
    Who did it? A indy shop or GM ?

YANK: HEY! Hows that AV?
    The dreaded F indeed stands for Ford. Not sure
    if FMC is part of LOF anymore...............geo
  • Options
    southlake glass america did the work
  • Options
    txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    I wish GM would make a Light-Duty 1/2 -ton CC on this Suburban Cassis for those of us who want a nice riding pickup and don't need a workhorse.
  • Options
    dch0300dch0300 Member Posts: 472
    I'm looking to replace the original speakers on my 2001 Silverado ext-cab. Can any of you provide some information on this with regards to good replacement speakers that fit, installation instructions/experience?
  • Options
    bspzbspz Member Posts: 35
    Go to crutchfield.com to start. There you can enter your truck year and style and they will show you everything that will fit and any accessories needed for installation. You can get a good idea of what will work and if you decide not to buy from them, you can use the info to buy locally. If you do buy from them, they provide instructions and sometimes minor parts needed for the install. Good luck!
  • Options
    i got a set of infinitys for the rear about a yr ago. Paid like $45. They sound good enough for me much better than stock and simple to install
  • Options
    jrkracejrkrace Member Posts: 32
    Just put in a set of Alpine component SPR 176 Speakers. Easy install. Door panels come off very easy(none of those pins that break). I just screwed in the mid bass and replaced the factory tweeter with the alpine unit and plugged everything into the factory harness. Just be sure to get the speaker harnesses.Makes life a whole lot easier.
  • Options
    I know you've already fixed the windshield but don't you have full glass coverage with your insurance carrier? I remember in my 88 truck the windshield got wacked and cost $600+ but it was covered in full by my auto insurance policy. Costs me $20 a year for this protection, well worth it.

Ray T.
  • Options
    nope they will fix it for free (if its small) or you have to pay your deductible if it needs to be replaced. I should look into whether or not they have this service (state farm). Deductible was $250 and the window was $168 so it made no sense going through insurance
  • Options
    I also have State Farm, I checked my policy and the glass coverage is covered under the comprehesive fire & theft which has a $200 deductible but glass coverage is free. That costs me $106 a year for comprehesive coverage. Check with your agent on that one.
    My truck has seen very limited use since I bought the Mini Cooper, I only use it once a week now unless we go camping, even then I'm trying to stuff the Cooper into the bed to bring it along hahaha.

Have a great weekend, mine looks like it's gonna be another wet one, darn rain never stops unless I'm at work.

Ray T.
  • Options
    Its smart paying outta your pocket! Darn insurance companies LOVE to jack your rates for any little excuse they can ! Especially you being a guy under 25 !
  • Options
    p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    I had all of my vehicles insured with State Farm Insurance for many years, and also my house. Recently they raised my house insurance by 60% overnight - without any claims ever being submitted. No accidents on vehicles either and the rates keep on climbing by at least 10% a year. I got fed up and looked for insurance elsewhere. It is not my fault that they chose to heavily invest their profits in the stock market and lost. Of course, they never tell you that, it is always high isurance claims that is the reason for jacking up the rates.
  • Options
    cowboyjohn1cowboyjohn1 Member Posts: 125
    I also have State Farm. I also received an average of over 40% increase in policy cost - on 12 policies. I have had no auto claims, but did have an $8500 claim on a rental house. They sent me a letter and said OK, your new deductible in $2000 per event instead of $500. And Oh by the way, here is you jacked up premium (this is before the 40+% jump. I wrote them a letter and told them that I was't buying that and that I had sent them over $35,000 in the last ten years. I asked them if that was not enough profit for them. Their reply - If you don't like our service, then your policy is terminated. Let me know if you find a good insurance company. I am definitely ready to change.
    cowboyjohn
  • Options
    wow my insurance (state farm) actually went down over the past 2 yrs (and that was not only due to me turning 21 a few yrs ago or the good student discount)
This discussion has been closed.