Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac G6: Real World MPG

I have been looking at the G6 4cyl base model. What kind of real world
city and highway gas mileage can I expect? Does the 4 have adequate
power? Thanks :D

Comments

• vanman1vanman1 Posts: 1,397
    My buddy has a base G6. He told me highway mileage is bang on EPA and city has been 1 or 2 MPG worse.

I have driven the car and power is more than sufficient, it's quite peppy. The 2.4L is very modern with VVT.
  • I test drove a base model 4-cylinder a few months ago, and it compared very favorably to my wife's 2003 Accord 4-cylinder (both automatics). I honestly don't know how the horsepower ratings compare between the two, but the Pontiac seemed move lively than the Accord - to me the Accord feels heavy and sluggish; the G6 didn't.
  • does anyone know if you can get a 4 cyl with leather?
  • Doesn't look like it from using the "build your own" option at pontiac.com.
  • Exact same situation. Leased a 2006 Honda Accord LX Special ed in November for my wife. I had a GM card with $2000 on it and a Volvo that I was upside down on. Last week I traded the Volvo for a new base G6 lease. The G6 is very similar to the Accord in terms of horsepower and to me seems a bit more peppy than the accord but, the Accord does seem "richer" than the G6. Better standard features (ABS) on the Accord and just a more hearty feeling all around on the Accord. That said, I'm extremely happy with the G6. The car is good looking, handles pretty well and apparently gets great gas milage ( hasn't broken in yet). Well done GM! Keep it up!
  • Also interesting to compare the dimensions of the G6 to the Accord - I don't remember how they compared interior-wise, but on the exterior they're almost exactly the same size.
  • spsmithspsmith Posts: 3
    Help! I am frustrated with the gas mileage I am getting with my 2006 G6. I average about 22-23 with mostly highway miles (70/30). The car has about 4500 total miles with one oil change, 17" wheels and automatic. The axle ratio is 3.05.

Can anyone tell me if the mileage improves? The best I got one time from a road trip was 25.

I like the car otherwise, our fifth Pontiac.
  • do you have anything in ur car? maybe u have weights in the trunk u forgot about for ur new workout center? that could bring it down... put ur car in drive on a flat surface and see if it rolls. maybe there is something in the rotors that is preventing it from moving so u r using more gas to power it... look at ur wheels is there any rust anywheres on ur rotors? when ur driving r u gunning it or r u using the car sparingly? whats ur highway speed? u can go 90 in the G6 and have about a 28mpg... also check ur oil is it clean? is it full? try these things and tell me what happens
  • spsmithspsmith Posts: 3
    thank u. ur very helpful. good day.
  • hofhof Posts: 15
    I just rented a G6 base model with the 2.4 liter engine and 4 speed auto tranny. I found that the car had plenty of power. It cruised quietly at 80 when I thought I was going about 60. going into a 20 MPH headwind at 70 mph (90 mph wind speed), it was still easy to hear the stereo.

Driving about 700 miles, mostly highway, I got 30 MPG one way and 32 MPG the other way.

It was a while before I realized the trip computer was in the stereo. Once I found it, I was able to do some quick checking in the brief amount of city driving that I did. It appeared to be 22-24 mpg in fairly heavy traffic.

Based upon this trip, I would not hesitate to recommend the G6 to someone looking for a fairly inexpensive car. I don't see any reason to pay for any more engine than the 2.4.

Overall, I was impressed by the G6. My only significant complaint was that the stereo had no minijack input or cassette deck, so I had to play my XM Roady radio through the FM transmitter, and there was a lot of interference from other people doing the same thing.
  • I bought my 2006 G6 coupe in August. Has 1,800 miles on it. I feel like I am forever filling up with gas. Looks like I'm only getting about 240 miles per tank. Used to have the Acura 3.2TL and could get over 300. What mileage are you getting?

Love the remote starter however just recently the air conditioner acts up when starting remotely like its trying to do blow air but doesn't. Only happens on remote start.

Otherwise, great car. I'm pleased.
  • e2helpere2helper Posts: 1,002
    If you have auto climate control system you have to leave it in AUTO mode for it to function during remote start
  • jack15jack15 Posts: 25
    I've got the 07 convertible and so far it looks like 12.5 MPG and 240 mile range MAX.
  • I have a 2005 G6 GT and I normally get 27-28 mpg.

This is mainly highway driving, but I have gotten better than 30 on long trips. Given the size of the car and the power put out from the V6 engine I am very satisfied with my gas mileage.
  • I just discovered this forum today and I am trying to figure out why some of you are experiencing such dismal fuel economy. :confuse: In May 2006, my partner and I rented a G6 with the V6 in it and drove from Southwest Louisiana all the way to Ft. Lauderdale, FL, and back. It was about 2,500 miles altogether. We kept an eye on the trip computer on the open highway going about 75-80mph, we experienced over 32 mpg. The average mpg for the total trip was about 28 mpg, which included some in-town driving. We didn't "feather foot" the accelerator either...we drove the heck out of that car. It was very comfortable for us, and I am debating on trading my Passat for one. :shades:
  • ajay5ajay5 Posts: 10
    I have a 2006 GT coupe. 16,000 miles so far. On long trips I get 33 hwy. My local ranges from 22-24. Great for a 6 cylinder.
  • mearlymearly Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 GTP sedan with the 3.6L V6 and six speed automatic. It has 400 miles on it so the engine is still in the "break in" period. I've gotten between 26-30 mpg on the highway and 18-20 mpg with careful driving in town. It was rated at 20/28 in 2007, and only 17/26 for the new adjusted 2008 EPA scale, so I feel I'm doing pretty well. Not bad for an American car with 252hp and 251 #ft torque. Hopefully this will even improve a little with time.
  • I have an 06 GTP sedan and I get 24-25 in town and 27-28 on the highway, I drive conservatively.
  • I am looking at getting a new car, and really want to get a stick shift. I had been looking at getting a G6 for the longest time, and was excited to see you could get a 2007 in a standard. However, when I looked at the MPG at fueleconomy.gov, I was appalled to read that the only G6 you can get in a manual, the 3.9L 6-speed, gets 16 MPG city and 25 MPG highway. Does anyone own this car, and actually get this low gas mileage? Or is the website HEAVILY over-compensating?
  • Mine is a 2005 sedan V-6 auto. The dash has an electronic mileage counter. This car regularly gets 35 to 37 MPG on the PA Turnpike. However, in constant stop and go traffic, it's tough to get it over 20. 17 to 18 is the norm. Again, I am referring to constant stop light, stop sign traffic, no boulevard curising mixed in.