Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

1998 Toyota Camry Egr Valve Issue (P0401 code)

patseekinghelppatseekinghelp Member Posts: 2

I have a 1998 Toyota Camry with a code P0401 that indicates a egr valve. Just replaced the egr valve and after about 60 miles the check engine light comes back up with the same code "P0401". Also my car has failed emission test twice. They said my car has to be driven enough in order for the monitors to reset itself. I have already put 200 miles on and still the monitors have not reset. Any suggestions???

Thanks,
Pat

Comments

• Options
    shopdog97shopdog97 Member Posts: 160

A friend of mine at work had this same code, PO401 which translates into the EGR having a "restricted flow" and he went and changed the EGR valve, the transducer and one other part under the hood, all to no avail. Turns out that some valve or part on or near the gas tank was defective. He did tell me the exact name of this part, but of course I can't remember it now. He had this part changed and was then able to get the car inspected. He told me the total cost with labor was about $130. His Camry is a '96.