Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Service department tried to blackmail me into buying a part

godsmiraclegodsmiracle Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Dodge

Not sure if you could call it blackmail or extortion. At any rate they tried to pull a fast one on me and the battle is not over. I brought my van in for the Catalytic converter to be replaced. It is still under warranty. I had already been to my 2 private mechanics and they both concurred it was the CC. I tell this to the guy at Bergeron Chrysler. He calls me next day to inform me that the EGR valve is bad and it's $487. I told him I don't have $487 to please just do the warranted work. He then tells me "you have to buy the EGR because I won't do the warranted work unless you do." Then his exact words to me were "you really don't have a choice." He went on to tell me the EGR is what he "thought" caused the CC to go out and he didn't want me to come back in a few months and need another CC. I called him back later to give myself a period of time to calm down and do my own research. My private mechanic told me a friend of his at another Dodge dealership would be happy to replace the warranted part and if it is found that I still need at EGR I can bring it to him to do for $234. When I call the service manager back and tell him this he tells me I still have to pay the $135 for the diagnostics. Since it was obvious I was talking to a professional scammer, I was not going to waste another breath on his ignorant conversation. So I paid the diagnostic fee and picked up my van. I will get my money refunded from them, but I'm here tonight to ask, has anyone ever had a service manager use this kind of intimidation and refuse to cover a warranted repair unless you purchased another part? I've been around a while and this is a first for me. I must say it's the lowest I've ever seen a service manager go to make a buck. Thank you