Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

1996 Chevrolet Tahoe Misfire on number two cylinder

jmull2jmull2 Member Posts: 1
edited April 2014 in Chevrolet

My 96 Tahoe 5.7L started missing so i had it put on computer and it showed #2 miss fire so i changed plugs, wires, distributor and rotor. After about an hour of driving it started missing again checked it and #2 miss fire code came up again, replaced plug and ran seafoam through system didnt help it keeps fouling #2 plug. When you pull the plug it is black like it is getting very hot. Checked fuel pressure it is running 55 and holds pressure when you turn key off, checked compression and it is running around 155, went ahead and changed fuel filter. I am at a loss!! any ideas?

Answers

• Options
    Gearjammer1976Gearjammer1976 Member Posts: 10
    sounds like valve seal switch to a hotter plug should fix with out tearing into.But you will have to fix some time
  • Options
    youngheartedyounghearted Member Posts: 2
    jmull2 said:

My 96 Tahoe 5.7L started missing so i had it put on computer and it showed #2 miss fire so i changed plugs, wires, distributor and rotor. After about an hour of driving it started missing again checked it and #2 miss fire code came up again, replaced plug and ran seafoam through system didnt help it keeps fouling #2 plug. When you pull the plug it is black like it is getting very hot. Checked fuel pressure it is running 55 and holds pressure when you turn key off, checked compression and it is running around 155, went ahead and changed fuel filter. I am at a loss!! any ideas?

Did you ever fix the problem? These vortects are known to throw misfire codes because of the spider injection GM used. its a horrible design. The poppet valve design is very susceptible of malfunctioning if the fuel pump pressure is low due to a worn fuel pump, dirty fuel filter, or bad fuel pressure regulator. I have a 96 chevy express and had misfire and went ahead and switched to a different design fuel injection made by Sorensen, it was about $299 back then and never had another misfire again. Not only did my MPG go up, but the engine feels much smoother now and responsive. highly recommend you look into it. On the Tahoe the job is much easier to do since its not cramped like a van.