Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Impressive Four-Cylinder Power - 2014 BMW 328i xDrive Gran Turismo Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited June 2014 in BMW
imageImpressive Four-Cylinder Power - 2014 BMW 328i xDrive Gran Turismo Long-Term Road Test

If you think a 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine sounds too small for a sizable sport wagon, the BMW 328i GT will surprise you with its level of performance.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    darthbimmerdarthbimmer Member Posts: 606

@Ed-- When I test drove a 328 I came away with the impression that the car's powertrain preferred sedate driving and that to access real performance you had to almost floor the pedal. I figure that's just throttle tuning, but it turned me off. Do you find the same thing?

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited June 2014

From BMW:

"Whether driving in city traffic or coming out of a curve at speed: Adaptive Transmission Management (ATM) recognizes your individual driving style and automatically selects the right gear at the right moment, eliminating unnecessary shifts."

Maybe your test drive wasn't long enough for the ATM to adapt to your style?

• Options
    s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486

we get a (non-sport) f30 loaner when we take our e90 to the dealer to get an oil change. my wife and i also came away with the impression that the car is lackadaisical in normal driving (and cheaper feeling inside). however, i finally figured out that there is a sport button that definitely livens things up. (i don't think a bmw should need a sport button.) the acceleration is there though, if you stomp on it. instant torque vs. the linear power delivery of the NA inline 6.

@darthbimmer said:
    Ed-- When I test drove a 328 I came away with the impression that the car's powertrain preferred sedate driving and that to access real performance you had to almost floor the pedal. I figure that's just throttle tuning, but it turned me off. Do you find the same thing?

• Options
    vvkvvk Member Posts: 196

There is no way this engine makes only 240 hp. More like 300. It is way more powerful than the N52.

• Options
    vvkvvk Member Posts: 196

@darthbimmer said:
    Ed-- When I test drove a 328 I came away with the impression that the car's powertrain preferred sedate driving and that to access real performance you had to almost floor the pedal. I figure that's just throttle tuning, but it turned me off. Do you find the same thing?

Hit the Sport button and you will be driving sideways in no time.

In Sport mode the car is amazing.

• Options
    miata52miata52 Member Posts: 114

My parents X3 has this engine. You're right...smooth and plenty of power. Only thing I don't care for is the injector noise at idle: it really sounds like a diesel.

• Options
    north52north52 Member Posts: 11

Today we see so many engines with turbochargers. I have a concern about durability of today's turbos - a decade or more in the past many of the carmakers admitted that the turbo was"an expendible item bolted to the engine", and it would probably need occasional replacement. Turbochargers are a relatively expensive item. My question is: Does this statement still apply today? Are turbos any more reliable today? So, it might be more prudent to opt for the 3.0 liter six in this BMW!