Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Can't seem to get 07 GMC Envoy into program mode.

traysertrayser Member Posts: 5
edited September 2014 in GMC

Ordered a new key fob for this vehicle and have to program it. Problem is I can't get the vehicle into program mode. I come close to it but I can't seem to get the lock/unlock cycle to occur AFTER releasing the unlock button on the door panel. It seems to cycle just when I'm turning the ignition key to the off position the second time that it cycles and the unlock button is still depressed. At this point, the vehicle is not in program mode. Numerous attempts to get into programming mode had the same results. Maybe the fact that I bought this vehicle from a private owner that had done some mods such as an upgraded sound system with Bluetooth and a speed chip. I don't know if these would affect the programming but thought I'd mention it. I would appreciate any ideas on this. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited September 2014

@trayser said:
    Maybe the fact that I bought this vehicle from a private owner that had done some mods such as an upgraded sound system with Bluetooth and a speed chip.

I suppose aftermarket stuff (especially that chip) could be messing with the ECU. Is your process similar to this one?

Assuming your system requires one working fob in order to program a new one, make sure the battery in your existing fob is fresh enough.

Any owners done this?

• Options
    traysertrayser Member Posts: 5

Yes, that's the exact same procedure that I tried.
    (Assuming your system requires one working fob in order to program a new one, make sure the battery in your existing fob is fresh enough.)..... Can u please explain what is meant in parentheses. I do have one working fob, but can't see how this matters.

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited September 2014

Shouldn't matter, but I'm trying to rule out simple issues (ie, cheap stuff to check). The battery in the fob may be fine for opening the door but not "fresh" enough to do the coding procedure. So what the hey, try swapping the fob batteries in the remotes with each other.

(I just fixed my old cell phone by removing the battery several times and pushing on the antenna and circuit board with the cover off. I'm a big believer in that kind of dumb stuff, and "sleep" engineering. Sometimes stuff just works after dinking around with it, even though you have no idea why it starts working.)