Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Checking the Oil - 2015 Porsche Macan S Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Porsche
imageChecking the Oil - 2015 Porsche Macan S Long-Term Road Test

More and more cars are dumping the tried-and-true dipstick, and our long-term 2015 Porsche Macan S is one of them.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863

So... How does that work when doing an oil change? Do you need to put some in, check the computer, put more in and check it again? Will it show an exact level? Will it show if its over filled?

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

One step closer to welding the hood shut. I like it.

• Options
    schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433

Why not have both? I like the idea of being able to display the oil level from the display, but also the backup of sometimes checking the dip stick in case the oil level electronics have a problem.

• Options
    quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827

@schen72, I agree, nothing wrong with a little redundancy for the critical components.

• Options
    allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878

This is nice but it should supplement not replace the dipstick. Scott says more and more cars are going to this feature but to my knowledge only German manufacturers embrace this technology. I don't know of any American cars without a dipstick. As far as I know the only Japanese car that uses this is the Lexus LFA.

• Options
    grijongrijon Member Posts: 147
    edited September 2014

I would be delighted to have both; if I could only have one, I would prefer the dipstick unless the engine has a lifetime warranty against oil starvation damage - which I don't believe is the case.