Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2014 Cadillac ELR First Drive

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Cadillac

image2014 Cadillac ELR First Drive

The 2014 Cadillac ELR is an eye-catching and luxurious plug-in hybrid that makes it a great commuter car, but its price makes it a bad value.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    shatnershatner Member Posts: 176
    I don't like the dash at all, it is too old school caddy and does not look sporty at all like the exterior. It is amazing that they have extra cost options at this price at all. Over 80 grand buys a dream car for some people, this car is nobody's dream.
  • Options
    ed341ed341 Member Posts: 0
    I honestly can't tell the difference between this and the CTS Coupe, or see what parts of it justify the price. Yes, it's "nice" but it seems like Cadillac wanted it to compete with the Tesla S by pricing it high, not by actually making it competitive. It's a Volt with leather. Welcome to the new GM, the same as the old, just a lot nicer.
  • Options
    kryptokatkryptokat Member Posts: 7
    Bonkers pricing strategy, Caddy obviously doesn't want this car to sell.

That may not be a bad thing judging by the reviewer's comment on tepid performance characteristics.

Would have been nice to put this exteriorl on the ATS underpinnings.
  • Options
    pommahpommah Member Posts: 71
    This is the kind of behavior that drove GM into bankruptcy. Just when you think they seem to be getting the hang of being a modern car company, they go back to old-school GM think, and with the brand they've done the most work with to save.

Anyone who buys one of these turds instead of a Tesla needs to have their heads examined.
  • Options
    loseitloseit Member Posts: 7
    Couldn't agree with the above comments more.

I was wondering what they would do about the motor....apparently nothing. I don't know how many times I have said that if you are selling luxury it has to be "special". That X factor has to be there. And it has to be perfect right from the start.

I can see an argument for 50K. I would consider buying one for my commute. 80K, forget it....i am looking for something with some serious snob value.

I really hope that they can somehow kill the old GM that keeps rearing it's head at the wrong times.
  • Options
    jeffinohjeffinoh Member Posts: 156
    GM loves to miss the mark, and then bemoan the low sales. I love, like, or would tolerate every aspect of this car except one- price is just too high. So is this car cool enough for celebs and athletes? I don't see regular folks paying the premium.
  • Options
    mrrytemrryte Member Posts: 28
    The ELR has got to be the biggest head-scratcher GM has ever produced. To put such great stying over a laughably underpowered (217hp) yet outrageously overweight (curb 4050 lbs) vehicle defies all common sense. And for them to offer this at $75k makes me wonder if they're trying to play some automotive joke on the public.
  • Options
    rock2155rock2155 Member Posts: 20
    Wow... I think its a competitor for the Volt but that's about it. No power, heavy, expensive and not much room... Oh and no room under the hood, just old and oily deprecated hardware...
  • Options
    lions208487lions208487 Member Posts: 240
    Nice interior/ exterior, but since the performance doesn't justify the price I'll pass. If this was GM's first luxury FCV, then the price would justify the technology.
  • Options
    themandarinthemandarin Member Posts: 436
    ELR = Extra Lame Ride
  • Options
    bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    The car looks beautiful, but otherwise finds its [non-permissible content removed] completely kicked by a $30k Honda. Way to go GM.
  • Options
    darthbimmerdarthbimmer Member Posts: 606
    An overpriced, badge engineered Chevy masquerading as a Caddy. It's the Cimarron of the 21st century!
  • Options
    rcb268rcb268 Member Posts: 1
    A good read! Thanks, Dan. Have to agree with you on the topic of "Breathtaking Price" ... can hardly wait to see how 'that' is going to work out...
  • Options
    carmageddoncarmageddon Member Posts: 11
    I'm the guy who may actually get one of these. I saw the Converj at Pebble Beach when it was there a few years ago and considered it absolutely jaw dropping. And word is that the ELR looks even better.

What I need the car for is simple: access to the HOV lane. Driving solo where carpools were meant to roam will cut my Silicon Valley commute by 20-30 minutes each way. The absence of power means little; my goal is to be able to hit 20 mph when everyone else is doing 5. But I need the range for the occasional longer trip, so the pure electric econoboxes are out.

Why not get a Tesla? Well, hard as it may be to believe if you don't live here, in the Valley Tesla's are a dime a dozen. Likewise Volts. The ELR's ultra-low production numbers mean it will stand out.

And the Tesla is likely way more expensive than the ELR. How's that you ask when their "purchase prices" are nearly identical? A Tesla with 260 mile range and leather costs $1200/month and Tesla will buy it back after three years for par, which is their effective version of a lease. If the $40K Volt and Fusion Energi lease for $300-400/month (and they do), I'm guessing that the purported $75K ELR leases for $600-$700/month. Which is not bad for an absolutely stunning automobile. And let's face it; leasing is the way to go with all of these cars, which are sure to be technologically obsolete in 2 to 3 years.

As to that power deficit? Well my weekend toy car is a 911.
  • Options
    gwoffreymgwoffreym Member Posts: 0
    This costs more than my CTS-V Sport Wagon! Absurd considering its Volt genesis. I've owned 3 Cadillacs but would never consider the ELR at this price. Maybe at $47,000.....
  • Options
    redxsageredxsage Member Posts: 21
    Man, it's really weird. Every time I look at a really nice, American, German, or Japanese internal combustion engine car... I imagine it reconfigured with the Tesla Motors platform instead. I can't get over how much better they would be...

The Cadillac ELR for instance, wouldn't have that huge barrier dividing the cabin in half longitudinally. The short deck rear overhang would be of no consequence, because it's 'frunk' would be cavernous.
  • Options
    penguinrobpenguinrob Member Posts: 1
    I currently drive a 2012 Volt that is coming off lease in a few months. I would defiantly consider the ELR if the price was closer to $50K. Sadly, it looks its another Volt for me.