Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Drive by Numbers - Tesla Model S is the vehicle of choice in many of America's wealthiest zip codes

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Tesla

imageDrive by Numbers - Tesla Model S is the vehicle of choice in many of America's wealthiest zip codes

Elon Musk's creation has an impressive showing among those living in Forbes magazines'

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    tubybntztubybntz Member Posts: 11
    This is a great article, Jessica. Those graphs are very well done too! Only problem is that the Industry Center analysis articles are hard to find on edmunds.com. West Coast is the best coast.
  • Options
    brianfh1brianfh1 Member Posts: 1
    You seem to be ignoring "propinquity". Tesla's home market, closest to HQ, is CA. Since it does not advertise, and is running flat-out to keep up with demand, markets open and explode by "word of mouth" and invaluable free publicity, which other makers would die for.
  • Options
    raytsengraytseng Member Posts: 1
    the "numbers" here are weak.

If you want to see where Tesla is the vehicle of choice, then you should be ordering by highest market share. Then have homeprice be the 2nd statistic. Then you'll likely see all Silicon valley, then extended california.

If that's what you wanted to confirm, just confirm it that way.

Then it is just Correlation that CA and tech people are also really rich.
  • Options
    fengshuifengshui Member Posts: 5
    Model X is going to do great for Tesla. Look at how well the M-B GL-Class does in those markets. Model X is targeted directly at them.
  • Options
    smingers3smingers3 Member Posts: 1
    I'm not sure how I stumbled on the article seeing as it was published some time ago, but a few things jumped out at me as curious. Although the same conclusion can still be drawn - California is the attractive market for Tesla - I'm not sure the correlation between wealth is a direct one. Or I should say, it may be more direct than the article is concluding with the data provided. Especially taking into consideration the regional data, and which cars are most popular. In NY, the most popular were Mercedes, but the flawed conclusion is that the car preference is simply based on wealth. I think its clear that the car of preference in NY has 4 wheel drive, which is a regional necessity.