Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FAST & FEROCIOUS Pickups -Please list them here,

Comments

• jaijayjaijay Posts: 162
    Here is the original post from 99RedHawk. I think if you read his post it is a little more than just an exhaust and an air filter. With a 1.85 sixty launch and the truck size I think that this is quite commendable.

http://www.ls1tech.com/ubb/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=18&t=000232

• txyank1txyank1 Posts: 1,010
    In my book that doesn't count.
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Posts: 4,162
    I had it on a car once......and it counted all the time I was using it!

LOL

- Tim

...still got the entire system.....I need to unload it some day...
    www.pickuptruck.com/html/stories/gmtoys/toys1.html
  • bamatundrabamatundra Posts: 1,583
    http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/autoshows/sema2001/toyota/sctundra.html

45% increase in horsepower and torque with only 4lb. of boost. That's 345 horses and 470 ft.lb of torque - I gotta have one!

• bigfurbigfur Posts: 649
    GMCs pick-up truck answer to the Typhoon. Same 4.3L twin turbo charged V6 and all wheel drive system. Ill put that truck up against any other stock factory built truck ever made thus far.
  • modvptnlmodvptnl Posts: 1,352
    The Syclone was first, followed by the Typhoon. The 4.3 had a single turbo charger, not a twin turbo.

While running high 13's puts them a red c hair quicker than a current Lightning, there is no comparison in actual function. You can actually use a Lightning as a truck to tow 5000 pounds or carry 800(not that you would) where the Gm's had no ability to work.
    in the bed!!
  • ryanbabryanbab Posts: 7,240
    this past summer i seen a lightning towing a travel trailer. I had to do a double take. Couldnt believe my eyes
  • modvptnlmodvptnl Posts: 1,352
    Actually, after putting two people in the cab(GMC) you might be able to put 100 pounds in the bed!!! (I know, the Lightning doesn't have that much more payload but it will actually tow)

Ryan, if I had one, I wouldn't hesitate to tow the Sea Doos to the lake. Heck, if I was just taking one passenger I'd hook up the boat. I realize that's just me and most owners don't use 'em that way.
  • Check out the Ford Lightnings... 380 HP and 450 lbs torque with 373 gears stock. This thing is fast!
  • ak4x4ak4x4 Posts: 126
    First take a 1 ton with an 8 foot bed. Add one Honda(In the bed) with a annoying 6 inch pipe tip and you have a furious car with one fast and powerful truck.

Take any import truck(non-full size) and add all the mods you can to it to the tune of 3+g's add one annoying exaust and 20 inch rims. What do you have: A furious truck that will get whipped buy every fast tuuck with real power.

Get a real full size truck, with a real engine(Like the Chevy 8100) and now you have fast, but not furious.

The last one: Just buy a lightning, or Dakota R/T and End it all!
    has a short piece on a "PT10" that someone put together. A PT Cruiser, HIGHLY modified, turned into a mini-pickup with a V10 Viper engine! Yowza.
  • ryanbabryanbab Posts: 7,240
    yea jetskis would make sense but this guy had an enclosed travel trailer. The rear of the lightning had a some sag to it in the back.
  • The Lightning is the only current contender. The Syclone, Big-Block El Camino's, SS 454's, 440 Dodge's, etc. are now in the past. I'm aware that some are still around, but there is no current threat to the Lightning. Maybe the SRT-10 will be built, & it may get the V-10 from the Viper's toy box, I doubt it'll get the 6-Speed, (I hope it does), & it may get 400+ hp & 450+ ft/lbs of torque. The fact remains however, until it is produced it isn't a contender. If it is produced, please use the latest pictured 20" wheels, & not those hideous gray 24"ers on the concept truck.
  • kg11kg11 Posts: 530
    The SRT-10 is slated for production.I just heard from a friend,they'll be on the market in the late summer or early fall,500HP 500ft/lb torque,6 spd and it's own suspention!I wonder what they'll give me for the 2500HD.
    kip
  • amoralesamorales Posts: 196
    Wonder what they will give me for MY C2500 spanker.
  • hersbirdhersbird Posts: 323
    I have a factory stock truck and would say it's the fastest naturally aspirated pickup ever. Mine stock will run the 1/4 mile in 14.7 and will pull .88 on the skidpad. I have since now done 1 mod to it and that is a new computer. So now I don't have a speed limiter which I sure makes it faster then I'll ever need to go. I have a 2000 Dakota R/T regular cab. Its the best year for the R/T IMO with out pre cats in the exhaust the 2001 and 2002's got, but with bigger injectors, better cooling, and electric fan the 98 and 99's didn't have. So I have about 350 ft-lbs of torque, 3.92 gears on 28" tall tires, limited slip, and weigh only 3700 pounds. I have no doubt a current generation Lightning would beat me, but I'd be willing to give a stock syclone at try, it would be closer. My truck cost $18,000 new and I'm sure given the price difference between it and anything else put into mods in my truck, I would easilly smoke them. It's better bang for the buck then a Z28 or a Mustang GT. I don't really consider the supercharged Toyotas "factory" trucks but would be willing to beat them anyway. The superchargers are dealer installed. If you allwo that logic I should be able to go into the Mopar Performance catalog and have the dealer install any of that stuff and still call my truck factory. Which means I can just plunk down $4800 for the 425 HP, 406 ci, motor and call it my new factory Dakota 6.7 R/T!
  • saddaddysaddaddy Posts: 566
    a supercharged Yota s-runner. I have no numbers, but I really believe that they run 0-60 a split second faster than the Lightning. Naturally aspirated, your right, you win that one. I find it kinda sorry that Dodge only gets that much performance from such a humongous engine. Don't get me wrong, having something that big under the hood is very brag-worthy, but they need to include a little technology in there too. They should be way more powerful than they are, IMO. Oh, and you CAN consider the s/c'ed s-runner stock b/c it is factory installed and warrantied. Thats a little easier to say about a blower than a new engine. Im sure a blown 4.7 would be a contest for the 6.7 too. Both trucks still "stock" of course.

To all Lightning fans, don't mean to start anything with that earlier comment. The lightning would surely win by some distance in the 1/4, and would definitely win a contest starting at 60 or so. Those blow s-runners will run like a scalded ape. I have seen s-runner time slips that showed 0-60 times that were significantly better than advertised Lightning times, though.
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    Forget yota....Dodge has the viper motor in a truck for a lightning killer 500HP with 500 lb. ft. torque in 2003.

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/automotive/010902_AT_srt10.html

• 2k1trd2k1trd Posts: 301
    I raced a R/T x-cab and pulled away from it with no probs with my S/C Tacoma.
    Yeah, I have seen about those. I was in no way including them in my comparo, hehe. Im not that stupid. They look very killer, all except that awful looking grill (eventhough it looks better on the srt than with all the cheezy chrome). Id never own a dodge, though. Don't worry, man, Im not starting anything, and Im not saying that yota would beat everything on the road (im very level headed). All I meant was for a Yota rep to get a little credit, which it deserves, don't you agree. So please don't FORGET YOTA. :) have a good one.
  • I will have to disagree with you on the origin of the Toyota TRD supercharger. The charger itself is manufactured by an American supplier to TRD specs. If installed by the dealer, the balance of Toyota's warranty is carried over. If installed by the owner, the warranty on the charger is 1 year 12000 miles only. It is not FACTORY installed.

There is so much more to a Lightning than a stock truck with a blower. From the 4 wheel disc brakes to the beefed up Super Duty trans and the Sterling SD rear.

While the Toyota's have a great reputation for their auto trans, the S/C does shorten its life considerably.
    If I said factory, I was wrong. My bad, I wasn't trying to give inaccuracies. Although, I have heard of people having them installed at the halfway place (where they put on cruise, upgrade wheels/tires and that stuff). As far as the Lightning part, if I had the choice between the 2 - sure Id take the Lightning, no decision. Like I said, Im not trying to be stupid here. I was simply adding another truck to the conversation. I have no doubt that the lightning will outhandle/out... other things the s-runner. All I said was that they had better 0-60 times, which, to me, is VERY respectable. But thats about it.

As far as the blower shortening its life -- thats the only place I disagree with you. I beg you to show some backup on this statement that doesn't deal with guys that turned the boost way up and fried their vehicle. I know so many guys with the blower, with all the respect in the world, I doubt its a debate you wanna go down with me. Even if they do shorten longevity, they will still outlast the competition 9 times out of 10.
  • http://www.gadgetonline.com/Super.htm

Click "short commings" and then you'll find the auto trans info.

Where do you get these 0-60 times? 0-60 is such a poor measure of performance I don't know where to start. First of all there are no drag strips that give a 0-60 time, onlt aftermarket performance meters do, and they can gice .3 sec difference on the same tuck with back to back runs easy. If you are talking 0-60 in 5 sec, then that .3 margin of error is pretty significant. So if you want to talk about shorter distances then post some 1/8 mile times. Plus a 0-60 measure is a time to speed measure, with does not indicate which truck is actually leading (or winning I would say) at that 60 MPH point. You have to do a time to distance, not time to speed. This fact is proven every day at every drag strip. Two cars can leave the line with identical reaction times. One car will run a say 15.0 @ 92 MPH and right beside it another car will go 14.8 @ 90 MPH. The first car was faster at the end but still lost the race. Just looking at some direhard Toyota boards they seem to think a "stock" s-runner is mid to high 15's in the 1/4 tops, lots of truly stock R/Ts, even the club cabs, are 15.0 or better. So even using 0-60 I don't think a truck capable of a 13.5 1/4 mile pure stock (the lightning) would be a split second slower 0-60 then a 15.5 sec Toyota, or even a 14.5 sec Dakota. Finally the Mopar parts can be dealer installed with a warranty so make for a "stock" truck just as much as the Toyota does. Even without a complete stroker install there still is about any perfomance part you could think of in that catalog to bolt on a 'old school' small block Mopar. The 5.9 can make a lot more HP but it's set up for torqe as it is first and foremost a truck motor, how many other naturally aspirated, gas motors out there make 345 ft-lbs of torque?
    Good research, but I kinda know that guy and have read a bunch of his stuff. I frequent a message board that he' always at. When someone asks him about the longevity, he says that he truly believed that was a fluke and recommends the blower to everyone that asks. He has said tons of times that if he had it to do over again, he'd buy the blower at twice the price. If I remember, he has the Generation I which did cause a few problems on earlier model trucks. Now there is a Gen II; couple that with some of the changes made to the 3.4 for 2001 models, and you have virtually no trouble. Gadget talked about the necessary Level 10 mod, fewer guys do that to the newer trucks and blowers cuz it just ain't needed.

That doesn't even take into account the guys I know that have had the blower for 70k+ miles with no problems and the ones who didn't put em on until 120k who also have no problems. Sure, it might compromise a little longevity, I said that b4, but they will still outlast others. Who do you know that has tested a blown Lightning for over 100k miles? Once again, I am not trying to compare the lightning to the s-runner as trucks. I know which is better, beyond a shadow of a doubt, but I would imagine that the s-runner would go the usual 200k miles with a heavy duty tranny. Kinda funny that they couldn't just stick with what the f-150 has.
    I realize that isn't a good comparo (did I not already say that?), just one way that a little nothing of a $20k truck beats a special edition $40k truck, that people constantly talk up (not sure on the dollar amount).
    2kitrd, what was your and his time slip? Oh thatts right you didn't get one cause you were on the street. So how do you know he was racing? What distance was the race? Do you have any mods? Was he carring a piano in the back? Sure there will be cases of a "stock" supercharged Toyota beating a stock R/T but generally their times in the 1/4 mile are .5 to 1 seconds slower.
    My point as well about the Dakota! It only costs $18,000 less if you don't want a few other options I got. (actually now there are a few more goodies standard on the 2002's and $19,000 is probably as low as you could order one).
This discussion has been closed.