Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Small Engine, Big Fun - 2014 Mini Cooper Hardtop Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited October 2014 in MINI
imageSmall Engine, Big Fun - 2014 Mini Cooper Hardtop Long-Term Road Test

The redesigned 2014 Mini Cooper doesn't have a lot of power, but that doesn't make it any less fun.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    ebeaudoinebeaudoin Member Posts: 509
    6,500 redline? Am I not quite attentive or is that a somewhat low redline?
  • Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    Um, you're comparing a $33k+ MINI to an SFE Fiesta that starts at $17.5K? So well-optioned maybe it's $20k? And you are doing this because both are hatchbacks with FI threes in the nose? The Mitsubishi Mirage comparison is even farther out...

I am thinking that a loaded, $27k Fiesta ST has this MINI covered with a blanket.
  • Options
    darexdarex Member Posts: 187
    fordson1 said:

I am thinking that a loaded, $27k Fiesta ST has this MINI covered with a blanket.

That Fiesta doesn't offer even 20% of the available features the MINI does, not to mention that it's an ergonomic nightmare inside. This is a detail that few seem to ever mention. It may be fun to drive, but it has a cheap, cheap, cheap interior!
  • Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    I believe that when you don't count meaningless items like checkered-flag exterior mirrors and the like, the Fiesta probably has significantly more than 20% of the options available on the MINI.

And while the MINI interior is now sharing the patent on ergonomic-nightmare interiors that it formerly had an exclusive on, it's still pretty bad. As you yourself have admitted already.

For thousands and thousands of dollars less, a Fiesta ST is a much better deal with a larger performance envelope. For similar money, a new, loaded Mk7 GTI is light-years better - and it's an actual car as opposed to an expensive toy.
  • Options
    desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    I'm just waiting for the next reliability issue with the MINI.
    I say it happens before 10K miles. Almost tempted to call it at 7500 miles...
  • Options
    bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    Sounds like the Mini is due for a trip to the dyno to see what the actual power numbers at the wheels are.
  • Options
    duck87duck87 Member Posts: 649
    I don't know how you can heap any praise on that engine. Compared to most 4-bangers the thing has the worst NVH characteristics in the world, an honor it shares with the Fiesta ecoboost 1-liter.

Also:

"The Mini redlines at 6,500 rpm but its sweet spot at about 4k"
    Yeah, this is very diesel-like. Which is fine for daily driving but don't pretend it's a sporty engine by any means.
  • Options
    darexdarex Member Posts: 187
    duck87 said:

I don't know how you can heap any praise on that engine. Compared to most 4-bangers the thing has the worst NVH characteristics in the world,

Sigh. More trolls. Where did you read that? This engine has no noticeable vibration or harshness, and as for the noise, it's artificial, but I like it. The only harshness/vibration occurs when using the auto start-stop system. Mine is off. No more harshness or vibration. This engine is like butter.
  • Options
    dgcamerodgcamero Member Posts: 148
    duck87 said:

I don't know how you can heap any praise on that engine. Compared to most 4-bangers the thing has the worst NVH characteristics in the world, an honor it shares with the Fiesta ecoboost 1-liter.

Also:

"The Mini redlines at 6,500 rpm but its sweet spot at about 4k"
    Yeah, this is very diesel-like. Which is fine for daily driving but don't pretend it's a sporty engine by any means.

The Ford 3-cylinder sounds more like a 6 cylinder than a 3 or 4. Not a bad thing. I don't think the sound is faked on the Fords either. I could be wrong though. Also, basically all turbos are breathless above the 5252 rpm torque / HP crossover point...it definitely makes me miss my 7200 RPM VTEC Civic, until I drive through town and keep up with only 2000 rpm instead of having to wind it out to 5000 and use much less fuel in my considerably heavier, roomier, and safer car...