Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

"Real" mpg for 2015 Hyundai Sonata?

saamlee92saamlee92 Member Posts: 4
edited December 2014 in Hyundai
Hi. It's my very first post here :smile: I have a very good offer for a Sonata lease but I would like to know the real mpg I would get. Obviously it depends on many facts but any information you have is valuable. I will be driving about 40 miles, four days a week. It's gonna be mainly on highway of course.
Number two on my list is the Mazda 3 which has more mpg but I didnt get a good offer yet. Thanks

Answers

• Options
    rhinestonefuserhinestonefuse Member Posts: 76
    edited December 2014
    I would trust that Hyundai's MPG claims are 100% accurate, in fact I bet they are probably even lower than actual.

Why? Because they got busted, big time:

= = = = =

WASHINGTON -- Hyundai and Kia have agreed to a settlement worth more than $350 million to end the government’s two-year investigation into the inflated fuel economy ratings of some 1.2 million Hyundai and Kia vehicles.

The EPA and Department of Justice announced the settlement deal at a press conference here today.

Under the settlement, Hyundai and Kia will pay a $100 million civil penalty, spend $50 million to establish an independent fuel economy certification group and forfeit some 4.75 million greenhouse gas emission credits the companies have banked under the EPA’s tailpipe emissions regulations -- estimated to be worth more than $200 million, according to a joint statement by the Justice Department and EPA.
  • Options
    cluwalcluwal Member Posts: 3
    Hyundai is still at the EPA fraud.

I bought a new 2015 Sonata Sport. EPA rating for city is 24 mpg. I'm getting 10.8 mpg calculated, 45% less than EPA. How pathetic. Car is 1.5 months old.
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    what are you doing with it, idling at the curb all day? I don't think a NYC cab could get mileage that low!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    2015 Sonata Sport: MPG is pathetic. Just put in my first tank of gas. Car has an 18.5 gallon tank. Driving pattern is city. On the full tank of gas I got from the dealer I got 195 miles. When the low fuel light came on, I put in 14.668 gallons. Dividing 195 by 14.668, that gives me 13.29 mpg. EPA rating for city is 24.

Complaining to Hyundai will accomplish nothing. I need to find another class action or find an attorney.
  • Options
    Follow up to above post: I'm getting 48% below the EPA rating of 24 mpg.