Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Riding Low to Oregon - 2015 Kia K900 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited January 2015 in Kia
imageRiding Low to Oregon - 2015 Kia K900 Long-Term Road Test

Our 2015 Kia K900 has a soft-riding suspension, but it turned out to be too soft for the sinuous highways in Northern California and Oregon.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    grijongrijon Member Posts: 147
    edited January 2015
    Excellent post; this is the journalism that keeps me coming to Edmunds.com.
  • Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    Hyundai/Kia: just give up already and hire some ride/handling folks from Germany or Britain.

This is comical...can anyone here remember a Korean model that did NOT have these issues?
  • Options
    vvkvvk Member Posts: 196
    It is not just Koreans who have this issue. American and Japanese cars are the same way. I often see cars with people in the back seat that are practically touching the pavement with their mufflers.
  • Options
    ahightowerahightower Member Posts: 539
    Our new Pathfinder appeared to have a slightly saggy butt with the five of us and our stuff headed to the Big Mouse last summer. But it didn't seem to affect the handling or acceleration much at all. But many of the CUVs and minivans we saw along the highways seemed to be struggling and sagging. Things that are meant to handle a lot of people and wimp out with more than 2 on board. I'd be really disappointed.
  • Options
    misterfusionmisterfusion Member Posts: 471
    Agree with fordson1, this is getting ridiculous. The best I've ever seen a reviewer come up with in regard to a Korean car's ride is, "It's an improvement over its predecessor". How hard can it be to make a decent suspension? I know it's "hard" compared to what I do for a living, but if your JOB is a suspension engineer, then how hard could it be to at least rise to the mediocre level of, say, the Camry?

@vvk, I've owned plenty of Japanese and American nameplates, and never experienced the peculiar suspension issues described in almost every Korean car review.
  • Options
    gslippygslippy Member Posts: 514
    My former 98 Grand Caravan came fitted with rear shocks made by Sachs call "Nivomat". They were awesome at keeping the van level at all times, and they had good damping.
    I'm a huge fan of this system, and wish my Kia Sedona had it.

http://www.zf.com/corporate/en/products/product_range/cars/cars_nivomat.shtml
  • Options
    allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    No excuse on a car like this. How hard or more expensive would it be to equip rear automatic level control on it? My grandma's Chrysler New Yorker had rear level control because the rear would sink like this car with the slightest weight in the back seat or trunk. That was over 20 years ago.