Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Engine Light Appears - 2 mins engine died - Full engine replace - 1 week Engine light again!

lnolenlnolen Member Posts: 2
edited February 2015 in GMC
My dad bought this vehicle from the dealer with approximately 9000 miles on it (previously leased vehicle) and it now has just under 50k. I took off in it one evening to pick up take out and drove maybe 1.5 miles when the Engine Malfunction light popped on. Traffic light turned green and I accelerated up hill to turn left and the engine would barely pull 25 feet through the intersection. Less than 20 feet further and the engine was dead. Dad says no other warnings displayed prior. My dad is religious about maintenance and upkeep and always uses the dealer. After having it towed to the dealer and leaving it with them for three days the only thing the mechanic could come up with is 2 plugs and plug wires needed to be replaced (just under $500.00 for that!?) They made the changes and the engine still didn't work. Two more days and he received a call from an excited mechanic - Yes! I've found the problem! You have a bad catalytic converter! (Another $1800.) When asked why needed a new catalytic converter they explained that it had melted. Melted? (Seems the "extreme heat" issues are a running theme for this engine.) Two more days on the rack and my dad receives a call that they've ordered an entire new engine from GM. Hmmmmm They say, "Not to worry it's covered under warranty!" Okay, okay.. fix the engine. Dad receives the vehicle back but notices his dashboard defrost isn't working. We went to dinner last night. I took a left turn on a yellow light and as I accelerated it bogged and chugged (nearly causing an accident) and the Engine Malfunction light popped on once again same as it had before!!! Dad took it to the dealer first thing this morning and came back with a quote of over $1,200. for the defrost and something else that didn't work properly after the engine replacement install. Dealer mechanic tells my dad, "It won't hurt anything for that light to burn." (Really??? After just replacing the entire engine because it melted down??) Dad- dumfounded and quite ready to explode - asked, "If the light is left to burn how will I know when there is an actual Engine issue?" Dad told them to find out what GM will give him on a buy back. Stay tuned for further.

Comments

• Options
    dheyobdheyob Member Posts: 1
    What ever happened with the buy back and what year Acadia do you have? I am having the same issues with my 2011 and the dealer keeps giving us a bunch of BS.