Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Towing Impressions - 2015 Chevrolet Colorado Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited February 2015 in Chevrolet
imageTowing Impressions - 2015 Chevrolet Colorado Long-Term Road Test

I recently used our 2015 Chevrolet Colorado to tow a Mercedes-Benz B-Class. Here are some impressions.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    grijongrijon Member Posts: 147
    Great post, thank you.
  • Options
    allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    "In tow-haul mode the transmission likes to downshift,"

That's what tow/haul mode is supposed to do. It basically tells the computer that you want power not fuel economy and aggressive engine braking. You were going uphill in tow'haul mode and increasing throttle input. The truck downshifts to give you maximum power and you're surprised so you lift completely off the accelerator then surprised again that you're only going 25 MPH. So you do what the truck already did a few seconds ago and floor it to downshift for maximum power. The truck knew what it was doing the driver didn't. Towing 6,167 pounds plus the driver's weight and the weight of any other equipment or passengers (BTW that's 7,000-weight of passengers and cargo so you probably maxed out the truck's tow capacity) will significantly slow acceleration. This is why the transmission aggressively downshifts with the slightest increase in throttle. Sounds like the Colorado has excellent transmission programming.
  • Options
    gslippygslippy Member Posts: 514
    I think you're making excuses. The RAM EcoDiesel tows much better - no drama or learning curve.
  • Options
    gravediggeregravediggere Member Posts: 1
    gslippy, the RamEcoDiesel is a FULL SIZE truck and is rated to tow over 9000lbs. Of course it would tow the same load better. What is your point? The Colorado is a midsize.
  • Options
    miami823miami823 Member Posts: 3
    I think it would do better with the 4.3 Liter engine!