Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Is CVT still problematic in '14'/15 Rogue. Thinking of buying-having 2nd thoughts

everfebeverfeb Member Posts: 115
edited March 2015 in Nissan
Hi. First time here. Was reading the "CVT fight for the recall" thread and it's not real current. Am wondering, is the CVT still an issue in new '14/'15 Rogues. I'm in Canada. Reading parts of that thread has me nervous.

Comments

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited March 2015
    My "gut" feeling, simply from skimming the posts here, is that the Nissan CVTs are a lot better than they were just a few years ago.

The fact that the "recall" thread is getting stale is a good sign too.

That said, sometimes it takes several years for a transmission or engine issue to surface. The 5/60 warranty helps.

The other wrinkle is that people who have zero issues typically don't take the time to post that their Rogue is running fine.
  • Options
    everfebeverfeb Member Posts: 115
    Thanks for taking the time to reply guys. Appreciate it.
  • Options
    carolinabobcarolinabob Member Posts: 576
    Have a 2014 and no problems with CVT. Also, no noise, "gear" searching or other issues. Runs smooth and quite. Goes up hills with no problems. See my review in that section.
  • Options
    eieretereiereter Member Posts: 12
    Just got a 2015 AWD leased, no noise or gear searching. However noticed that i could not accelerate fast enough. Was going on historic route 66 in Illinois, tried to overtake a car that was going at 55 mph. Had a good mile before the oncoming car on the other lane. No luck. Had to break and move back to let the oncoming car pass. I did not associate this with cvt then - thought i did not gas enough. Until reading the forums about this " feature". I remember vividly i could easily do it on a rental chevrolet captiva, that was also 4 cylinder 2,5 liter engine. I was driving in ECO mode btw ( as i was on captiva).
    But i almost never overtake, so no biggie so far. I hope it would not stall when entering highway, though :0 that would be a disaster and immediate "give me my money back" lawsuit.
  • Options
    danpf1danpf1 Member Posts: 89
    Nissan says not to pass or climb hills in ECO mode. Just a reminder.
  • Options
    eieretereiereter Member Posts: 12
    danpf1 said:

Nissan says not to pass or climb hills in ECO mode. Just a reminder.

No, he does not say that in my manual. it says depress accelerator pedal fully OR turn off eco mode when driving up steep hill or fully loaded. Nothing about overtaking. Can you point where nissan actually says that?

So it should detect pedal to the metal and react accordingly. Chevrolet did, also in eco mode. Is chevrolet smarter than nissan?

• Options
    I have never tried to pass in ECO mode because of the lower RPM and torque required to maintain fuel economy, not to say you can't do it. Also found that hill climbing to be adversely affected even when pedal to metal is activated while in ECO mode. I found it better to turn off ECO mode when passing or hill climbing. Very seldom had to use pedal to metal to pass or hill climb with ECO mode off.
  • Options
    I have a question, my 2015 rogue manual, in one section says to torque wheel nuts to 83Ft pounds in the section on wheels and tires 98Ft pounds. What is the right wheel nut torque?