Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2004 Sonata HVAC Control Issue

dam263468dam263468 Member Posts: 1
edited June 2015 in Hyundai
I had a remote start installed in my mother’s 2004 Hyundai Sonata a year ago. She and I have noticed the AC shutting off along with the display. Then it would turn on. Then it also would run a maximum rate on its own and we could not disable it. In addition you now need to enable the defrost button to turn on the HVAC system in the car. Before you did not have to perform this function.

Hyundai tech said the reason for these issues was the remote start interfering with the control head operation, that diagnosis cost $225. The vendor (recommended by the Hyundai dealer) that installed the remote start stated that their system is not connected to it and that the control head itself or the wiring is going bad. They and I have seen these symptoms describe in blogs. But Hyundai refuses to confirm this is the issue. They basically are blaming the other.

What is funny is that the car is out of warranty and if they would identify the problem, the cost would go to the owner. I believe it’s a design flaw and Hyundai would rather you buy a new car then address the flaw.

What’s your opinion?

Comments

• Options
    thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    That someone is going to have to spend some time to work through this. Several of the relays that are powered up to operate the engine control system are also involved with the AC system.

This Hyundai AC system does not communicate with a scan tool, so no data or trouble codes can be retrieved. If it did support scan tool usage that could at least help to narrow the focus with the diagnostics a little bit, but it doesn't . With no scan support at all, this has to be done totally by hand. Based on your description it doesn't even have to be just one problem, it could be several and each may have to be worked out in succession.

The main thing is that no-one should try and assume that the problem is anywhere with either system, that is a poor approach. Who-ever sets out to diagnose this issue (these issues) needs to have a symptom occur and prove what is going on with that one issue. Then look to see if it happened to solve any of the others. If several of the issues occur at the same time, the diagnostician has to pick one of them and solve it. Attempting to figure out more than one of them at the same time can lead to confusion and frustration.