Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Toyota Highlander

Comments

• pabloxpablox Posts: 92
    I noticed on the Toyota manual site, it states that the HL with rear AC controls uses more antifreeze than the one without. This tells me there's a rear heater core (and probably a rear condensor). If you don't order rear AC controls there may well be vents but I doubt they'll work as well. That's not a direct answer but I'd recommend ordering the rear controls.
  • drfilldrfill Posts: 2,484
    The '07 had a seperate rear heater, but no A/C.

DrFill
  • microbustmicrobust Posts: 56
    It seems to me that it would be a good idea to have A/C vents for each of the 3 rows--much like central air. I took a look around the Toyota lot yesterday and the 2007 Highlander only had vents in front, while the 4 Runner model had vents for its 2 rows, and the Sequoia and Sienna had vents for all 3 rows. If anyone has access to a new Highlander, it would be great if you could check if 3 row vents are standard or must be an option. Thanks.
  • chiefychiefy Posts: 1
    Will satellite radio be offered in the HL?
  • scottgbwiscottgbwi Posts: 85
    Hey Shimmmer, If you are still interested, the one I test drove is still sitting on the lot w/a sold sign. They must be just keeping it sold and on display. Not sure if they allow test drives once it's sold. Noticed it when I picked up the Highlander brochure.
  • shimmer11shimmer11 Posts: 28
    Sounds good Scottgbwi. I would not want someone to drive my SOLD vehicle! Oh well, the dealers around here (S. WI) should be getting them in tomorrow. I had a brochure on Saturday when I went to another dealer, and they did not even have it!

-Andy
  • secondrigsecondrig Posts: 21
    Well, they said today was the launch, and it seems to have started with a commercial. On GMA, Toyota ran a pretty cute ad highlighting the back-up camera as a parking tool. I really like the look of the new front and rear, but from the side it sure does look like a minivan.
    Very nice secondrig.

When will the toyota.com web page be updated? I thought today was the day? Oh well.

-Andy
  • twinpowertwinpower Posts: 8
    Do all trim levels of the new Highlander have a 1 piece 3rd row? Or is their a split seat available? It seems as though nearly all of the competition has a split 3rd row... and I think it gives a lot more versatility.

Thanks - Mike
    it's always a one piece. Personally, I'm tempted to get the 3rd row delete.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    ..'Limited' SPORT 2WD $35270 iirc

Leather, heated seats, Power lift gate, moonroof, JBL 440 wt + BT, 19" wheels. It's a lot wider, my 2004 HL happened to be next to it and it looks like a RAV compared to the new HL. The new model also looks to sit lower to the ground but I think that's an optical illusion because it's wider.
    I noticed just now that the front page of toyota.com has changed. Hopefully the new build and price of the '08 will be updated soon!

-Andy
  • mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    Salsa red Sport with cloth, didn't notice if 2wd or 4wd but the sticker was $31k and some change. I'm off today but came in to search for a Sienna for my doctor.
    :)
    Mackabee
    For 19", power tailgate, moonroof, and JBL.

The larger wheels probably help the vehicle look lower.

I don't think the styling is good or bad. It looks like a Rav4 V6 with chassis reinforcements.

DrFill
    Looks like everything is live except for build and price.

-Andy
  • mmccloskeymmccloskey Posts: 168
    Greetings:

I stopped by the Toyota dealership today and picked up a 2008 Highlander brochure. It mentions tilt/telescope steering wheel and 4-way adjustable headrests on the Limited/HH Limited w/leather. The Toyota site only mentions tilt wheel and 2-way adjustable headrests. I'm guessing the printed matter may not be as up-to-date as the web site. The site may still be evolving in regards to the details and prices. The outgoing Highlander had color-keyed splash guards and roof cross bars as standard on the Limited line but they are now listed as optional accessories.

Regards - M. J. McCloskey
  • Hi,
    I called two local dealerships (in Massachusetts) and asked whether they'd received any 2008 Highlanders in the showroom yet. They both told me that they weren't being released until September for the gas model, and one said November for the hybrid and the other said FEBRUARY! What gives? Are they totally out of it, or is the Northeast not going to get them until much later? Thanks for any insights into this...

- Charlie M
    The gassers were released today nationwide hybrids are 60 days leter.. go somewhere else.
  • tinatinatinatina Posts: 388
    The build and price function worked for me at the Toyota website (I'm near San Francisco). I do like the pearl white color btw.

There were some glitches with the site, but a base AWD with an A Package in that color's total price was $30,115.
  • scottgbwiscottgbwi Posts: 85
    Looks like toyota website is up to date for building a 2008 highlander now.
    Just got back from test driving the 2wd Sport we got. First my overall impression of this vehicle. Keeping with a trend Toyota started with the 05 Avalon is the use of cheaper materials. The plastic door panels look like the ones on the new Tundra. Same goes for the cloth interior. The panels are not fitted as we expect from Toyota and there are a lot of gaps. This model also has the new door lock buttons that are used in the Camry, RAV4, and Yaris. They are very small and hard to find when not looking directly at them. Having said that, it will still sell in bunches because of the logo that's on the hood. :)

Driving impression: We set out at first with me as a passenger and one of my colleagues as the driver. We also had another passenger in the middle seat. The driver complained of sluggish performance although I thought it was adequate. I told him to put it in the sequential mode and see if he could feel the difference. It was quite an improvement. The ride was very quiet and smooth. Quite quieter than the model it replaces. We switched seats and I got on the drivers side. I went strictly sequential and it was nice. I took the first exit ramp towards the expressway and just shifted gears to my hearts content. The shifting was very smooth, up and down, no hesitation. The power from the 3.5L V6 was there when you wanted it. We came back to the boulevard and I decided to make a U turn to test the VSC. Works as advertised. I gunned the accelerator and through my peripheral vision saw the VSC indicator flashing. Back at the dealership I backed it up onto the ramp and the back up camera came on. The screen is about the size as the one on Tundra and good for backing out of a driveway to make sure you don't run over the kids bikes or the kids! ;) I can't wait to get my hands on a Limited and feel the difference in the ride. I hope the fit and finish of the interior is corrected otherwise it will show up as squeaks and rattles later on.
    Mackabee
    From Toyota's "Customer First" quality initiative.

One problem with Toyotas is people definitely walk in and expect Ergonomics, seats, panels, materials are expected to be two steps above the competition. Usually they aren't disappointed, it's just a matter of which dealer the purchase will be made from.

DrFill
    They better start putting their money where their mouth is then. Like I said before the quality of materials they are using lately is not up to par.
    Mackabee
  • jpetercjpeterc Posts: 1
    I just got back from the local dealer and I was thinking about ordering a '08. It will be a loaded one with a model # of 6956A. Has almost all the options except running boards and tow package. Dealer said boards aren't available yet. I wanted the exterior color to be Barcelona Red but I was told the only red is Salsa red. The base price is $34150 with $4395 in options and $645 for destination charges which comes to $39190 and roughly another 10 percent for tax and license. My questions are does this vehicle only come in Salsa Red and is it really worth $43000? Comments?????
    I think even though it's just been released, you can do better than MSRP.
    The 'Limited' SPORT we received is worlds better than the current '04 Highlander my wife and I drive. The new model is more attractive, with far more features and better ergonomics than my current one.

The ride in both is very quiet and very smooth. The new model is far more powerful though. The new model is much bigger so it may appeal to a different buyer than a two adult family.
  • cubssoxscubssoxs Posts: 139
    The dealers around the chicagoland area have not recieved any 2008 highlanders yet. They probably should recieve them any day now.
  • jathreyajathreya Posts: 4
    I saw a Salsa Red Highlander Limited with Nav being prepped at Toyota of Fremont, California. The sales consultant pointed to the window sticker and said, "Oh right. They've added Xzilon protection too". Guess what this Permaplate of the 21st century will set you back by? How about $2500? A nice little dealer markup. Caveat emptor.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    on toyota.com, and it seems like a lot of vehicle for the money;

38K for a LOADED model with leather, moonroof, tow pkg, NAV, cold weather pkg, Bluetooth, dual digi climate, ski/snow crossbars.

Give me a winning lottery ticket and sign me up
    ;)
  • lablover2lablover2 Posts: 106
    i was with on a test drive last night in a suburb of chicago so yes they are here! it seemed like a very nice ride to me-i like the look of it also. the person i was with did not buy it but plans on doing so when more colors are available. they had 4 on their lot-2 white a silver and a dark grey. it was orland toyota