Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

It Feels Heavy Cargo - 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited July 2015 in Jeep
imageIt Feels Heavy Cargo - 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited Long-Term Road Test

There's plenty of cargo room available in our 2014 Jeep Cherokee, but you have to be careful what you put back there. Too much weight will put a damper on its driving characteristics.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    Could you give us a weight approximation for all of that stuff?
  • Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    Can't tell what is in all those boxes...so tough to say, but I would doubt it's 350 lbs., like a rear seat full of passengers would be. The thing is that when you have a couple of people in the back seat, they are within the wheelbase, not a foot or so from the hatch. Not the same thing.
  • Options
    bc1960bc1960 Member Posts: 171
    It's not unusual to see vehicles that have been loaded by available volume without regard to weight. And the rated payload of many crossovers is surprisingly low, little more than a similarly-sized sedan. It really is just a specialized hatchback, with flexible exchange of passengers for cargo, but not necessarily both.
  • Options
    quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    fordson1 said:

The thing is that when you have a couple of people in the back seat, they are within the wheelbase, not a foot or so from the hatch. Not the same thing.

Yeah, I kn... Wait, you're banned?!

Well [non-permissible content removed].

I'll miss your input, buddy. Darn fly just flew into my eye, I'm not crying.

I swear.

• Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    The old XJ Cherokee had an 1,100 pound payload. This new one is a bit under that I believe. I wonder if the beefed up Trailhawk can handle heavier loads better?