Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2006 Outlander, Cols. OH winter MPG goes from 24 to 17 MPG. Same application. Any ideas?

neznonameneznoname Member Posts: 1
edited October 2015 in Mitsubishi
I have a 2006 Mitsubishi Outlander with 96,000 miles, winter MPG drops from 24 to 17 MPG. What can I do to maintain the 24 MPG in the winter., the application does not change winter or summer. I maintain the vehicle properly. Is the MPG decrease related to a misinterpretation of the computer's ambient temperature? I do not buy the argument regarding winter vs. summer fuel, idle n winter to heat the vehicle I do not do this more than a few minutes. Unemployment causes us to reevaluate this issue. I appreciate any viable ideas!
Respectfully submitted;
[Email removed]

Answers

• Options
    93tracker5spd93tracker5spd Member Posts: 194
    Hello! first, if this vehicle is equipped with all wheel drive, that alone will decrease winter fuel mileage a great deal. In winter most roadways are wet if not snowy, this causes the vehicle to sense low traction because of the partial hydroplaning condition, and engage AWD more often. Cold dense air causes higher rolling resistance for tires, this alone will decrease MPG, and if you are running winter tread, there is even more rolling resistance. The condition that the engine must operate in breathing dense cold air, it must there-fore use more fuel to maintain that smooth idle. The engine does not get quite as warm, and cools off much faster in winter, so that rich running condition is maintained more often. If the battery is not quite up to snuff, this will cause the alternator to engage more, putting more load on the engine to maintain the battery. Most vehicles experience an overall loss of MPG in winter of (and this only an average), about 1 to 2.5 MPG. Your loss of roughly 6 mile per gallon does sound a bit high. It might be worth the investment to have an engine analysis done by a reputable dealer shop to pin-point the extra fuel usage. It could pay for itself in one winter. But before going to a dealer, do your home work, make sure that dealer is one who cares about it's reputation and customers. It's sad to admit, but some shops only care about getting your money, or do not have the best trained mechanics.
    Good luck to you.