Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura TL Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• My 2005 TL shudders while in park and I hold the RPM between 1000-1500. I do not experience the shudder or vibration when the car is moving. The car also has a rough idle when cold. The service rep stated that this is normal for Acura. Any other 2004 or 2005 owners experience a shudder or rough idle ?
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    Mine doesn't shudder. It's a bit of a lumpy idle. Overall the TL does not idle as smoothly as, say, the Nissan/Infiniti VQ motors.
  • Well, despite all of the comments listed in this forum, I decided to buy an 05' TL Navi auto (supposedly the good tires). Have around 900 miles on it and guess what....I have the vibration. Had good luck with 2 previous acuras so I thought maybe the defect was a fluke or some owners being over critical. I would ask all 04 and 05 owners to pay close attention when slowly accelerating in 5th gear past 45-55 mph. The vibration is not overwhelming, the steering wheel does not shake, but it is not a smooth ride. I did try down shifting (auto stick) into 4th and I believe the vibration goes away. I tried to ignore this problem when I first experienced it, but its definitely there. I don't understand how it could be the tires if it happens with multiple brands. Went back to the dealership and tested my salesmans tl, it had the vibration also. He "hadn't noticed it". I guess you won't sell many cars if you tell people it has a defect. If enough people complain (call acura customer service) they will eventually do something. Have an 04 MDX with the infamous "muffler resonance" which was fixed by removing one of the muffler hangers. I'll admit it's not the perfect solution (exhaust system missing a support) but it fixed the problem and acura will cover any consequences should they occur. Do manual tranny owners have this problem or is it just the autos?
    If downshifting via SS but maintaining same speed eliminates the vibration, then for sure it can't be the tires.
  • tedescm1tedescm1 Posts: 309
    That's great!

It's a real issue in a 35k car!
    Yes...the vibration is due to the drive train and is aggravated by poor tires...

I'll never buy another car in its first year of production ....I've learned my lesson...

I've also filed a lemon lawsuit against Acura.

I contacted Acura to see if they would like to resolve this issue without lawyers and they did not even return my calls………really tough people to deal with…they just do not care!
  • igibanigiban Posts: 530
    "I would ask all 04 and 05 owners to pay close attention when slowly accelerating in 5th gear past 45-55 mph. The vibration is not overwhelming, the steering wheel does not shake, but it is not a smooth ride."

I've not noticed any unusual vibration but then again I might have stayed at 50 mph too often. Does it have to be 45-55 mph? What about 70 mph? The vibration is mainly felt from your body with seat contact and not from steering wheel? Can you hear the vibration too?
  • revrasrevras Posts: 59
    Pro's- nice engine, nice style, great stereo. Con's - terrible rear and side visibility from drivers seat, rough ride, hard cheap leather seats, vibrates going over 55 mph. Not a luxury car by any means.
    To Igiban,

I'm not sure if this affects all 04 models.

Mine starts to vibrate at 45 miles per hour just as the transmission shifts into 5th gear. It continues to vibrate until about 60 mph. You can get rid of the vibration by downshifting to 4th gear.

An acura should not do this...

The Acura case manager told me that the vibration has been corrected in the 05 model.

Can someone with a 05 TL please confirm that this problem has been corrected in the 05?
  • Can anyone in the Chicago area tell me what kind of milage they have been getting on the 04/05 TLs? I do mostly short suburban trips and tend not to drive the car too hard.
    To Danny1878:

I stand corrected...{by 3 mph}...It shifts into 5th gear at 48 mph not 45 mph.

The point is .....it shifts too early and lugs and therefore causes a vibration. The Acura case manager said they are trying to develop a fix by changing the transmission shift point.

By the way... Acura acknowledges the vibration but will not admit it's a problem. They call it a harmonic vibration… They are trying to fix it but its not a problem.........…go figure!

I'm glad yours does not vibrate...
  • I've been getting 17 mpg consistently with mostly city driving. What are you and others getting milage wise?
  • tpacar79tpacar79 Posts: 23
    UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE to my posted message #1719

I had my hearing earlier this month. After my defense and a test drive the arbitrator ruled in my favor and awarded me a replacement or repurchase. Please review my previous not to see the description of my problems but ultimately the days out of service (30) and numerous repair attempts substanially impaired the use of the vehicle. The poor quality leather grade, phone being inoperable (it did not work on the test drive from land line or cell phones) and the paint issue substanially devalued the car. The power window impaired the safety as it went down by itself... the dealer did not have an answer for the phone said well aah we will need to look into the window going down by itself and offered to repaint the bumper... the vibrations could not be duplicated but it was noted the car was dealer serviced the the tire (crappy bridgestones) were severely balding and prematurely wearing... All this yielded the arbitrator to agree with me.

Despite me getting a repurchase, i like the TL but am changing my approach.. I will be using my refund and i will be getting an 2005 Acura TL A SPEC automatic w/navi(the full complete a spec kit tops out at 6k added) The car will now feature ground effects, a wing spoiler, 18in chrome rims on yokomana tires, brembo brakes/calipers, a sport wheel, A SPEC badging plus i am getting back up sensors....

Why u say did I choose this? well the TL offers the best overall value in its class and i believ some of the biggest problems on this car are the first year jitters plus I got an amazing deal on the TL aspec MSRP 42,988 as stated above. I am paying 39k...Audi and Beamer can't touch that not even lexus and with the car kit and it being under the factory warranty I was sold.

Nonetheless my biggest concerns were the paint lthr seats tires/vibrations and phone. In 2005 the bridgestone tires r dropped in place of michelins..regardless ia m getting a modified suspenion 18in tires and performance tires so I hope this problem is nullifed....Those of you that have the never failing bubbling leather seats? 2004 look at 05 models...they added the stitching to prevent this...guess acura was tired of bitchy people like me! hehe Phone I pray i have better luck. Nontheless Now i am proud to say I will have the sharpest TL on the road and it will be lowered and areo'd out and all under the factory warranty...cross your fingers for me!
    You will need to go to arbitration, acura and honda is one of the worst to deal with as they firmly believe their cars dont break...unless its ordered by a arbitrator you r screwed the case managers dont do jack...if u get a good acura u will never need one if u get a bad one its a long journey and a tedius process but with the proper education, documentation and processes followed u will be victorious.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,591
    I've had my '05 non-Nav/auto TL with the Bridgestones for about 8 weeks, 1900 miles. No vibration at any speed that I'm aware of. Smooth, quiet ride. I do believe the Bridgestone's flatspot (and are POOR in the snow), however.

During my weekly commute of 50/50 highway/local road driving, I'm averaging 20-21mpg using 93 octane. On my last mostly highway trip (180 miles @ ~80% highway) I averaged 27mpg @ average of 54mph.

So far, I believe this to be a great car and value. Long term tests I've read (this month's Motor Trend, an '04 model, for example) back this up. Hopefully, I'll feel this way in two or three years! I feel for those that didn't get a better example of the Honda/Acura marque.

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

Glad to hear you won. Hope you have better luck with the '05 TL.
  • igibanigiban Posts: 530
    On my way home tonight I intentionally stayed around 50 mph more than usual and I really could not feel any more vibration than other speeds. I think my 05 really does not have that problem.
    UPDATE ON VIBRATION...

2005 models have modified shift points this is to correct the vibration issue...early 05 models may not have the modified shift points...ask the dealer for more info...I have become the guru on this cars quirks but the few big common ones on the 2004 models have been mainly cured on the 2005 model, guess acura listened to complaints however do little for those ginea pigs...i would avoid 2004 models at all costs unless u can live with such flaws that become annoying in due time.
    I would try and mix up the octane on the car as the engine might be running "too rich" whereby causing a less efficent mpg. The engine calls for 91 I flip (as 91 is hard to come by) from 93 and 89 and i have excellent mpg, seemlingly better than the manufactuers ratings usually unless my trip computer is lying to me.
    To Tpacar79:

Thank you for the words of encouragement. I did have an arbitration hearing scheduled but cancelled the hearing in favor of a private attorney. About a week ago channel six did a piece on arbitration hearings and said they were bias against the consumer so I opted for an attorney.

I agree with you, most Acura’s are great cars but when you get a bad one the company just has a bad attitude.