Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevy Silverado is fouling out all 4 spark plugs on the right side. Johnsonjay

johnsonjayjohnsonjay Member Posts: 2
edited November 2015 in Chevrolet
My 1997 Chevy Silverado (5.0L Vortec) is fouling out all 4 spark plugs on the right side. I have cleaned the throttle body, replaced rotor, cap and wires, mas, fuel filter. It runs great when i get down on it or pull my boat, but if it idles or kicks into overdrive cruising around 1500 rpm it starts to spit and sputter and miss etc, it also will leave a black soot spot where the exhaust hits when stopped.

Answers

• Options
    rusty_cagerusty_cage Member Posts: 28
    Rings r bad. the reason it runs well when you dog on it or have it under load is the heat burns the oil off and you get a clean fire. when u have low RPM the oils builds up and you have firing problems. Older Chevys seemed to always foul out the back left cylinder after they had about 70K miles. but they would still run for a long time. your Vortex is a good engine in my experience and will probably run a long time like that its just not the perfect senerio.
  • Options
    ANGELTRUCKANGELTRUCK Member Posts: 1
    2007 AVALANCHE 3 DIFFERENT DIAGNOSIS NEW ENGINE TRANSMISSION WATER IN ENGINE I 80 AN WIDOW DONT KNOW WHO TO BELIEVE . ENGINE STABILIZER TIRE LIGHTS ON ONLY JERKS AT A STOP SMOKES SOMETIMES HAS 204000 MI WHAT DO U RECOMMEND? LIVE IN GA