Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Finding a Dimmer Workaround in the Aftermarket Stereo - 2007 Dodge Charger SRT8 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited March 2016 in Dodge
imageFinding a Dimmer Workaround in the Aftermarket Stereo - 2007 Dodge Charger SRT8 Long-Term Road Test

The aftermarket stereo in Edmunds.com's long-term Dodge Charger SRT8 has a workaround for its day and night settings.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    spigspig Member Posts: 3
    There is typically a wire from the head unit that connects to the car's parking / headlight circuit. When you turn on the lights, the unit dims. I would suspect this is yet another failure on the part of the installer.
  • Options
    schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433
    You should really post the name of the stereo installer so locals won't patronize them.
  • Options
    the_big_althe_big_al Member Posts: 1,079
    I have a question on this particular head unit. I have been watching this particular thread on the stereo as I am about to purchase and install a new sound system for a commuter car I picked up. It's wired for amps and subs already and from what I can tell it was done well. The hardware is a decade old however and looks and sounds like it.

My biggest concern with touchscreens like this one is the rocker buttons for volume and such. I much prefer knobs and that is why I am holding off on spending money on something like this. So my question is, how user friendly is the unit and how have the volume buttons been working? How about display when the unit is in off mode or rather when no audio is being played. Is there a clock function that is easily readable both when the unit is off and when it is being used in its various modes? I would be using CarPlay quite a bit so how is the screen responsiveness? Is it capacative or resistive touch? I hate delays of any kind and am quite used to the way iOS devices respond and anything less drives my nuts. How is the display brightness during the day? Does it wash out or is it fairly usable? I know this can also depend on mounting location but in general can it be used most of the time regardless of the sun position?

I'm not too concerned about how the maps interact however I use Pandora quite a bit as well as the Music app to play music from my personal library. How do these apps function? Are they as intuitive as they are on the phone (aside from the Music app which has its own usability issues). Any feedback on this particular unit would be helpful as I have been debating it specifically.
  • Options
    saxdoggsaxdogg Member Posts: 38
    Look behind it and find the wire they didn't hook up. It's probably orange, it's usually in the harness adaptor. Are you going to take it back and ask them about all the probs?
  • Options
    s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    i think i posted about this topic previously as i have an avic 5000nex. mine does not dim automatically either. i did the install myself and know i hooked all the appropriate wires up. gonna have to look again. i usually go into the dimmer settings in the display settings and turn it down if i am driving for a while at night.
  • Options
    markinnaples_markinnaples_ Member Posts: 251
    They have posted the name of the installer multiple times in prior articles. Not the individual of course, the company.