Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2006 Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• Options
    nifty56nifty56 Member Posts: 279
    I thought the battery was in the engine compartment? When I looked at the car when it first came out but noticed it was in an awkard place. Front passenger side and had a bar over top of it making it hard to get at to change. As you can tell I do not own the car but am considering it, so Iam sure those who do own one will fill us in....
  • Options
    quietproquietpro Member Posts: 702
    The '06 Impala's battery is in the conventional position, under the hood behind the headlight on the passenger side. Also, it does have the bar over top of it. Hopefully, batteries won't be an issue.

I was assuming the question came up over a different Chevy model or possibly some info on the '09 model.
  • Options
    xscoutxscout Member Posts: 141
    It's been a few years since I had to buy locking lug nuts, but one of the best used to be McGard. They were hardened, triple plated, and guaranteed to never rust or corrode.
  • Options
    quigquig Member Posts: 16
    I just bought a new 06 Impala had paint protection put on it how long do I have to wait before I can wax my car, I heard 60 days from the time you buy it, I live in Florida where the sun can be a real killer. And can anyone recommend a good wax for my car where I live.

Thanks
    Quig
  • Options
    gparisgparis Member Posts: 6
    What is the TSB number for the remote/tire monitor system problems?
  • Options
    balichbalich Member Posts: 62
    Impala owners:

Thoughts on the following: Front seats:

Bucket seat ?
    or
    Bench seat ?

What did you pick and Why ?

Thanks!
  • Options
    Something I hadn't thought of...if your battery is in the rear, are there posts under the hood that would allow you to jump start the car from either the front or the rear?

In Charger/300, there are posts for jump starting under the hood. Since they thought of it, I would hope all others who follow will at least match the features of the cars they're trying to upstage. :)
  • Options
    I have always loved bucket seats and a center console. In the Impala SS, the bucket seats don't offer as much support as I have become accustomed to so I won't list that as a reason.

Bench seats are great for squeezing a sixth person into the car or for increased leg room for the folks with REALLY long legs.

One other thing, with the bench seat, you won't have a center console and that will move the shifter to the steering column. I've heard that it's hard to see the stereo display with the car in drive. ;)
  • Options
    nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    I concur with the column shifter blocking part of the stereo display (I own a 2000 Impala, but rented a 2006 LT a month ago for about a 1,500 mile "test drive" :D ). It wasn't that big of a deal, but I did think it was one of those little things that somehow got overlooked.

One other benefit to the bench seat, my garage is VERY snug on the passenger side, so having a bench seat allows my wife to slide in from the driver's side. If I had buckets/console, I'd have to back out first and then wait on her to get in (and I'd be outside in the weather at that point). Also nice to be able to parallel park and slide across to exit on the passenger side instead of opening your door and stepping out into traffic.
  • Options
    dispencer1dispencer1 Member Posts: 489
    I've always used Nu-Finish. It is available at supermarkets as well as auto supply stores and it works great. It can even be applied in the sun.
  • Options
    dispencer1dispencer1 Member Posts: 489
    I ordered bucket seats in the 2LT because I sat in both bench and bucket seats and felt that bucket seats were more comfortable. The car also looks a lot better with bucket seats. If you require six passenger seating for some reason then it is no contest. Sit in both of them before you make a choice.
  • Options
    rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    My GXP experience (again mechanically very similar to the Impala SS) is much like yours. And I am not complaining either. (If I wanted better highway MPG, I’d buy a Corvette. Seriously!)

I will add that “City Driving” does not necessarily = “City Driving”.
    Meaning:
    In highway driving, the variables are somewhat more limited. Speed, hills, headwind, traffic forcing speed variations, primarily.

City Driving variables include (but are not limited to) number of stops per mile, actual wait time at stop signs \ lights (and this can vary a lot), whether or not you (ever) achieve TCC lockup (in third or fourth) between stops \ slows, how quickly you accelerate when the opportunity presents, etc. Small differences in these aspects of “City Driving” can result in large differences in MPG result.

My “City Driving” is actually not what kills (so to speak) my MPG. It is the Interstate. Specifically: The portion of I85 between ‘spaghetti junction’ (I85 & I285 NE of Atlanta) and where I exit. In the typical afternoon commute, that portion is typically stop \ go \ slow \ go (top speed often 15 mph or so) for that entire 7 mile stretch. Annoying. Any I can watch my AVG MPG drop on the DIC display. Oh, well . . .

- Ray
    Fascinated by MPG – but not obsessed (?)
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    zjimzjim Member Posts: 51
    I'm sorry, but I didn't get the number. I will tell you though, when I described the problem, the service writer at my dealer went to his computer and almost immediately pulled it up on the screen. I read some of it myself. I'm sure that if he found it so fast, it's out there at all dealers to find just as easily. If they can't find it, get back to me and I'll get it for you. The solution solved both the tire pressure and remote problems. They work fine now. :D
  • Options
    venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    The situation with the imports, including both the Japanese and the German, is that now that they have captured market share their quality is falling and they have become apathetic.

I wouldn't say the Japanese have become apathetic. Try telling that to any GM executive. It's a case of growing too fast. Even so, Honda and Toyota easily win the quality game especially if take into consideration the full spectrum of quality, not just reliability.

The domestics may be a better buy for you but not for me. My values differ from you. To say the foreign makes are in the same predicament as the domestics were 20-30 years ago is absurd.
  • Options
    Took it to 2 different dealerships. They have both looked at me like they knew nothing about it.
  • Options
    I'll contact my service advisor at Holz Motors in Milwaukee, WI (Hales Corners) next week and get back to you. They had my car and another Impala with the same problems in the shop at the same time. The repair fixed both cars.
  • Options
    nifty56nifty56 Member Posts: 279
    Tested a 2006 Impala, V6, and paid attention to the A/C performance. It has been mentioned here by a few who feel the A/C maybe a little weak? The outside temp was at about 30C and the car was sun soaked. Turned the A/C on high. Didn't bother lowering the windows etc. In slow moving traffic for about 15 minutes the A/C was struggling to cool the car. Once up to highway speed the A/C was very good, cold, and acceptable, no complaints.
    Going to do a longer test drive again when the weather gets hot again.
  • Options
    jz68jz68 Member Posts: 61
    I've had differing opinions now from three different shops. I would like to have an add on system put on my car that would include shock and motion sensors. Has anyone here added to their alarm system or had another one installed without it interfering with the factory alarm and remote start? :confuse:
  • Options
    edwin10edwin10 Member Posts: 32
    I travel a bit, and I rent a different car each time, so
    I can see how they do. Two trips ago I rented an Impala
    2006 model, and was pleased with it. A/C worked good,
    got good mileage, and had good acceleration, no squeaks
    or rattles, and fit finish was good. The trunk was
    huge, much like a full size car. This last trip I
    rented a Suzuki ( small SUV ), and it was BAD. No
    acceleration, bad fuel economy ( because I had to keep
    my foot in it to go ), A/C poor until on the road 30 mph
    or better, then it was fine. It also had all of these
    chimes to tell driver and passenger to buckle up, close door chimed way to much.
  • Options
    prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    Honda and Toyota easily win the quality game

Is that a fact? Go spend some time on the Acura TL and Toyota Avalon and Lexus ES boards and enlighten yourself about the many quality issues there extant before so adamantly jumping to their defense.

To say the foreign makes are in the same predicament as the domestics were 20-30 years ago is absurd

Once again, the many complaints about quality and reliability as posted on their respective boards, particularly the cars of Teutonic origin, belie your opinion.

The domestics may be a better buy for you but not for me.

Is the diminishing quality of the imports a "better buy" for anyone? The quality of the domestics is rising substantially as evidenced by the SS.

My values differ from you.

On that we agree.
  • Options
    no one makes the perfect car. i get it.

the boards are useful for someone who does have a problem and they wanted to see how others have dealt with it. or something to that effect. however, these boards are not useful for determining the overall reliability of a model.
  • Options
    togadelictogadelic Member Posts: 21
    can you get the SS with bench seats?
  • Options
    charts2charts2 Member Posts: 618
    The benchseat can be ordered in all Impala models except the SS for 2006.
  • Options
    togadelictogadelic Member Posts: 21
    that is lame

i am a die hard ford guy that has gone to honda and now is looking for something with some power that i can fit in besides a truck

thought the impala ss might be it

are there ANY new sedans out there with a bench seat?
  • Options
    jntjnt Member Posts: 316
    venus537,

No one is perfect.

That is why when we buy vehicles, we need to research to make sure the candidate is not problem prone vehicle. Another thing, the old wisdom of avoiding car of first year production is still true regardless of the car makers. For example, some new 07 Camrys have transmission problem; Nissan Titan, Quest were at the bottom of its quality category for the first production year in the US. Likewise, the Chevy Equinox, Chevy Highlander were no winners either in their first year of introduction.

Having say that, the Impala (at least the old model) has been very well respected in First Time Quality and Reliability studies. The Oshawa plant in Canada that cranks out all GM midsize vehicles has been on the top on the quality and productivity charts for many years now. Too bad GM styling on these cars are not head turners like those Chrysler LH RWD vehicles.

jt
  • Options
    unless a car is just wretched in reliability, i'm not going to make it a top priority. almost all cars are pretty good these days in this regard. of course i might be singing a different tune if i ever got stuck with a lemon.

i'm going to get the car that will give me the most enjoyment day in and day out yet be practical for driving on a daily basis. and, oh yes, it's probably a good idea for the car to be affordable.

i'm fine with the impala's styling, but powerful V8 cars should be RWD.
  • Options
    jz68jz68 Member Posts: 61
    Come on, you can't tell me that nobody has added on to their factory security and remote start. I'm dying over here :confuse:
  • Options
    i'm fine with the impala's styling, but powerful V8 cars should be RWD.

The SS handles perfectly well with FWD unless you're planning on taking it to the race track. Besides, FWD is much better in snow and on wet road surfaces, considerations which far outweigh the relevance of its race track capabilities.
  • Options
    Obviously, you haven't driven a car with traction problems. FWD is horrible if/when it loses traction. At least with RWD, you can still steer. Once FWD lets go, you have no input whatsoever; you're just along for the ride. :)
  • Options
    gparis:

I talked to my service advisor today. (Holz Chevrolet in Hales Corners, WI) Here goes:
    The information is in 2 separate "PI's" (Preliminary Information). For problems with the remote not having the proper range the number is PIC4026. The tire pressure monitoring system problem is covered in PI3764F. My advisor says he has had several Impalas with these problems that were corrected using this information. He says the information is easy to obtain on Chevrolets dealer website.

Both systems in my car are now operating properly after using the procedures in this PI's. Good luck!
  • Options
    Do you have a before and after report on the FOB range? How bad was it before and how improved is it after? I'm pretty sure mine has that issue now. Such little annoyances...hardly worth the trip.

Thanks!
  • Options
    Thanks I will have them check it out. :)
  • Options
    When the car was new the range was about 200 feet, sometimes farther. Suddenly, I had to be within 6 feet of the car to open the doors! After the repair, I'd say it's almost as good as new. The range is somewhere between 150 to 200 feet now. The tire pressure monitoring system started acting up at the same time that the remote malfunctioned. I got a "service tire pressure monitoring system" message on the dash and the pressures would not always display when requested. The system now works like new. Hope this helps you and others out there with the same problems.
  • Options
    That was a great help, thanks. I just wanted to get a good idea of the difference.
  • Options
    06fasst06fasst Member Posts: 48
    everything was finnally done to my car today and i must say the stereo kicks [non-permissible content removed] now, on the other hand i had the keyfobs issue redone and i am not getting 200 feet out of my remotes what exactlly was done per your service invoice, or what does it say, because i am wondering if i have another issue!
  • Options
    Obviously, you haven't driven a car with traction problems.

That is what traction control is for.

I will take FWD any day over RWD unless I am going to be at the track.
  • Options
    That is what traction control is for.

Nice thinking but unfortunately, traction control doesn't improve the characteristics of tire size or composition. A car with no traction will not GAIN traction with traction control. Remember when ABS first showed up on Caprice Classics? Do you also remember how many stories there were of cops running into things and even dying because they thought traction control for stopping (ABS) would magically stop their cars in unrealistically short distances? TC is an aid, not a cure.
  • Options
    As I said, they used the PI's I referenced in the earlier post. There wasn't anything specific on the repair order, but the advisor said that, among other things, that they replaced the frequency receiver and re-grounded the dash. With all the experience my dealership had with these problems, I'm sure that your dealer could give their technical support at Chevrolet a call to get the specifics, if the PI's don't do it.
  • Options
    gened1gened1 Member Posts: 256
    Quietpro weren't those Caprice Classics RWD and who EVER thought that traction control for stopping was called ABS??? At the most ABS allows the front wheels to steer and not lock up when the brakes are applied so that a driver might be able to steer around a problem without skidding into it. RWD and AWD as well as FWD cars all can loose traction. All vehicles have to adhear to the laws of physics. True traction control uses a computer to detect certain parameters and adjust the engine output, and brakes to try to prevent accidents. It takes into consideration wheels, tires, road surface yaw rates etc. and adjusts the car likewise.
    Gene
  • Options
    I never wrote that traction control for stopping was called ABS. What I wrote was that ABS is basically traction control used for stopping. Of course ABS is simpler since it only uses braking to alter wheel speed.

I think YOU'RE confusing traction control with STABILITY control. Traction control reduces wheel spin, period. Wheel speed is monitored and when one is spinning faster than the rest, engine power is reduced through throttle control (and I think timing on some vehicles). If that isn't enough to rectify the condition, then the brakes are applied to the offending wheel(s). Traction control doesn't prevent accidents; it is only an aid that will make it easier for a driver to avoid them.

Stability control is the next step beyond ABS and traction control. It's the aid you're referring to that monitors numberous inputs and helps control the vehicle through various means (braking, throttle, power distribution, etc).

Finally, back to the Caprice. Are you actually implying that RWD increases braking distance? If so, you should probably steer clear of the track. Unless, of course, you're referring to the go-carts at the local amusement park. :P
  • Options
    mjb56mjb56 Member Posts: 170
    Has anyone heard if GM will be offering stability control on the 07 Impala? The unavailability of this option is probably the one thing that keeps me from considering it. The wife has it on her Vibe and it's a must have in snow country.
  • Options
    hmm well that sounds like it worked, the pi information was in reference to toher issues being reprogrammed and not related to the distace issue, my dealership is sometimes a bunch of morons so i will take this issue to them and hopefully they can do the same thing, other than that you all should hear this bose system i swear it is a million times better than before and there is no hisssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
  • Options
    howlong did it take for them to fix that issue as well as get that frequency reciever part in?
  • Options
    gened1gened1 Member Posts: 256
    Quietpro
    Huh?? go back and reread your first sentence in post # 1878.
    I think you either don't proof read or not understand what you are posting. I stated "TRUE traction control" meaning exactly what I said it to mean. Do many cars have that adaptive ability even at the high end price point? Not as of yet but they will as it will be more cost effective for the car makers to put it in some form into more vehicles.

Why do you keep referring to cars on tracks? How many people take their cars on tracks? I refer to real world driving. You know - where a driver tries to keep the car somewhere between the ditches?
    Gene
  • Options
    quigquig Member Posts: 16
    I just bought a 06 LT 1 after driving it for awhile, I decided that I want to put a power seat on the passenger side, is that going to be hard for a dealer to get that done. With out calling a dealer first what do you think the cost will be.

Thanks
    Quig
  • Options
    charts2charts2 Member Posts: 618
    Enough arguing already about FWD/RWD. Move on! Next generation Impala will be RWD like it or not.
  • Options
    wremotewremote Member Posts: 2
    I have a 06 Impala LS with cloth seats. I usually get a static electricity shock when I get out of the car. I have installed a ground strap (didn't improve the problem). The Dealer said it is me not the car. Thats el toro poo poo. I have owned over 50 vehicles over my 50 years of car ownership and never had this problem (consistent shocking).

Does anyone else have this problem?
  • Options
    raym0016raym0016 Member Posts: 7
    I don't have that problem in my impala (LTZ with Leather) but I did in my trailblazer in the winter time. Too dry and lots of clothes on with cloth seats. That will get you static every time. Especially if you are wearing wool or cotton.
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,155
    My cloth seats on an older car tended to do that. I would wear polyester pants or a "nylon" polyester jacket and sliding on the seat causes the static to be generated. I sprayed the seats with the anticling spray for you clothes. It does something to dissipate the static.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    traction control doesn't improve the characteristics of tire size or composition

I did not say that it did. It is an aid, not a panacea. I would, however, rather have it than not.