Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2006 Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,699
    I heard that Honda has found a way to improve the reliability of their transmission failure prone trucks and cars: they're putting a spare transmission in the trunk. Can't get better than the ingenuity of those foreign companies at building reliable cars, right!

This message has been approved.

• fredvhfredvh Posts: 853
    Does anyone here have the new 2006 Impala and how do they like it? Please advise which engine you have. I am particularly interested in the base 6(3.6) engine. Thanks
  • vanman1vanman1 Posts: 1,397
    Base engine is a 3.5L rated at 211hp. It's slightly differnet and newer than the 3.5L in the Malibu / G6. Good engine from what have read, I think all the owners here have 3.9s and V8s. I tested only the 3.9L.
    I have heard there is a 6-speed on the way. I thought it was next year though?
  • meybe,

The only problem is, that the new 6 speed in the taho and GMC, while having the tap up tap down shifting, i heard its by buttons on the shifter. That sucks. They are making it like in the malibu. How many people in the Malibu use this feature? Its a waste of money unless they make it tap up / tap down. This way its fun and exiting to change gears.

I really hope GM does it like they did in their G6, with the tap up tap down operation.

Also, i heard on the SUV's, that the 6 speed transmission has 2 overdrive gears. Can someone please explain what this is and if it helps/hurts the parts involved?

I though all transmissions had 1 overdrive gear for emergencies. Thanks.
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,476
    “Also, i heard on the SUV's, that the 6 speed transmission has 2 overdrive gears. Can someone please explain what this is and if it helps/hurts the parts involved?

I though all transmissions had 1 overdrive gear for emergencies.”

The current (just becoming available on the 2006 C6 Corvette and will be in the 2006 Caddy STS-v) 6 speed automatic trans. for GM rear wheel drive vehicles has 2 overdrive ratios. And no ‘direct’ (1:1) ratio. I believe that this is the same trans. being used in some GM 2006 SUVs.

Most 4 or 5 speed automatics that I have seen (and \ or owned) have 1 overdrive and 1 ‘direct’ ratio. Most 5 speed manuals that I have seen have 1 OD gear – and most 6 speeds have 2.

In the case of overdrive ratios in a street vehicle, the intent is (almost) always to provide reduced noise & wear at cruise – and to achieve better highway fuel mileage.

I am aware of no case where the overdrive ratio(s) have anything to do with ‘emergencies’. But I am willing to learn.

Anyone?

- Ray
    No trans. engineer, but . .

Transmission General Specifications
    Name 6L80
    RPO Code MYC

1st Gear Ratio 4.027
    2nd Gear Ratio 2.364
    3rd Gear Ratio 1.532
    4th Gear Ratio 1.152
    5th Gear Ratio 0.852
    6th Gear Ratio 0.667
    Reverse Ratio 3.064

Current STS V8 automatic trans ratios:
    3.42, 2.21, 1.60, 1.00, 0.76
  • charts2charts2 Posts: 618
    More results......2005 Michigan state police test of 2006 vehicles:

0-80 mph Charger 3.5 14.6 seconds..(Hemi) 10.8 seconds....Impala 14.3 Ford 14.4

0-100 MPH..... Dodge Charger 3.5 24.6 seconds....HEMI CHARGER 16.5 seconds......Impala 3.9 23.6 seconds......Ford CV 24.1 seconds.....

Braking test (both) CHARGERS 60-0 mph 130 feet
    IMPALA 60-0 mph 151 feet (terrible!!)
    FORD CV 60-0 mph 143 feet

I thought the 2006, 3.9 Impala would have done better with all the tests

The RWD Chargers and Fords are several hundred pounds heavier then the Impala. I thought that the 06 Impala would have faired better in the braking test

The 00-05 Police Impala did much better with the braking tests then this current model.....Braking carries a lot of weight in the testing results of these vehicles. Police departments that read these results often base their purchases on this testing.... 151 feet for the Impala could mean the difference of stopping in time or an accident.....a few years back when the Intrepid was tested the front brakes caught on fire....very few police Intrepids were sold as a result.
    I see no indication from GM that they are using any 6 speed automatics in their SUVs. I see 4Lxx, and 5Lxx indications here:

http://media.gm.com/us/powertrain/en/product_services/r_cars/truck%20eng%20trans.html

The 2 page review that I see in the current MT specifically refers to a 4 speed automatic in the Trailblazer SS. Not 5 or 6 speeds . .??

Where have you seen indications that GM SUVs will have a 6 speed automatic?

Thanks,
    - Ray
    Knowing that Ford & Mercury have released their 4.6L V8 with 6 speed automatic, but . .
    "a few years back when the Intrepid was tested the front brakes caught on fire....very few police Intrepids were sold as a result. "

But officer, I was only (speeding away) trying to avoid being consumed by the flames erupting from the front of your vehicle!

- Ray
    Unable to resist . .
    My understanding was that the new 6 speed coming to the FWD cars of GM were only capable of handling up to 250 hp.......that would leave out the Impala SS and Grand Prix 5.3......and other GM cars above 250 hp.
    The new 6 speed (manual) available on the G6 3.9L:

http://media.gm.com/us/powertrain/en/product_services/Spec Sheets/Transmissions/2006 M- anuals/2006%20F40%20(MT2).pdf
  • deminindeminin Posts: 214
    We bought an '06 LTZ a couple of weeks ago. We haven't had it long enough to really wring it out, but so far it is an excellent car. The ride and handling are great, it has plenty of power with the 3.9 engine, and it is a very quiet car on the highway. The Bose radio is great, and the fit and finish are all first rate. The first 2 tanks of gas are showing 27.6 MPG...75% highway...and the engine/transmission are smooth as butter. The seats are quite comfortable, and the power adjustments allow good position for both of us...the wife is only 5'1". We also like the dual climate controls, since Momma is always chilly, and I'm roasting. If you are looking at the base models, I would recomment that you check out the LTZ. There are very few options on the LTZ...leather, sunroof and 6 disk CD, and by the time you add any real options to the more inexpensive models, you are very near the price of an LTZ. I think the jury is still out on these DOD V8's. That idea has been tried before, and resulted in some major repair/reliability issues. I'll pop in here from time to time, and pass on any real world experiences we have with this car.
  • hammen2hammen2 Posts: 1,313
    I think the jury is still out on these DOD V8's. That idea has been tried before, and resulted in some major repair/reliability issues

You are right that it was tried before, but that was in the early 80's. I think it's safe to say that computing technology has improved significantly in the last 25 years... and the current GM DoD was developed at least 3-4 years ago and tested significantly - why it's taken so long for these engines to come to market...

--Robert
    “I see no indication from GM that they are using any 6 speed automatics in their SUVs.” – me

I now see that the ** 2007 ** ( ! ? ! ? ) GM SUV information recently released does show that the largest (6.2L) V8 will receive a version of the 6L80 six speed automatic.

In any case, this is a RWD only trans. and will not fit the FWD Impala SS or my GP GXP.

I’d love to see a six speed automatic released for the V8 versions of these cars, but it looks unlikely in the near future.

- Ray
    Quite content with 4 forward speeds and great steaming piles of torque . . .
  • mikalmikal Posts: 3
    Ford's new fusion will have the new 6-speed developed by ford and gm.why doesn't
    chevy have access to this tranny?the 07 tahoe/yukon will be out early next year,I
    think they will have new tranny.the pics of the new interior are very nice.
    Not sure that Ford's 6-speed is from the GM/Ford JV. It may be a 3rd party tranny.
  • white6white6 Posts: 588
    Great power, decent ride, adequate sound deadening, good brake modulation, responsive tranny, nicely weighted steering.
    Dislikes:
    Tiny mirrors, low-rent gauge cluster, flat seats, obvious "torque management" on heavy-throttle 1-2 shift, tight back seat.
    Overall, a HUGE improvement over 05 Impala, but not what I would call a home-run. It will be considered when we replace the wifes' Olds Intrigue this time next year.
    BTW, the 6-speed auto in the Fusion is the same tranny that Mazda starting installing in the Mazda6 last year. It is not the new joint-venture 6-speed auto.
    I thought it was too soon for the GM / Ford trannies.

Mite want to try a 3.9L instead of the V8. That will solve the torque steer issues. You will also find new seats in later manufactured Impalas.
  • white6white6 Posts: 588
    I didn't mention torque steer, cause I felt it was dealt with pretty well. Nothing like the 1996 STS I drove several years ago; that sucker changed lanes all by itself! The car we drove had been on the lot less than two weeks; did they change the seat design in these cars already?
    The first 5 week run of the new Impalas had a faulty lumbar support in the drivers seat.....Impalas manufactured from August 1 onward have this problem rectified. Early purhasers were complaining of uncomfortable drivers seat (back) on long drives.