Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda CX-7

Comments

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Mazda Has 4,700 Vehicles on Tipped Ship Off Alaska (Bloomberg)

"About 60 percent of the vehicles are Mazda3 small cars and 25 percent are CX-7 sport-utility wagons, said Amestoy, who didn't know the shipment's value or Mazda's insurer for the cargo. The 4,700 autos would be worth $117.5 million, based on an average retail price of more than $25,000 each."

May be a shortage at the dealers soon unless they can recover the ship.
  • Options
    astegmanastegman Member Posts: 171
    My heart is in my throat reading this...I am sure my car is on that boat. I closed the deal on my CX-7 three weeks ago, having been told that the car was coming from Japan by boat and would be arriving the 2nd week of August. I'm going to call the dealer right now to see if they can tell if my car is on this shipment. I'm freaking out because I have to surrender my leased Lexus on August 24th, and will be left without a car.

It's bizarre, because when we were at the dealer signing off on all the paperwork, I mentioned that about 20 years ago, I never received a shipment of Danish furniture I'd purchased; the boat sank in the Atlantic and all cargo was lost (luckily, all crew members were saved). So we all laughed and said that was a once in a lifetime event, and that surely nothing would happen to my car. Well, I guess lightening can indeed strike twice. :cry::cry::cry:
  • Options
    vbbuiltvbbuilt Member Posts: 498
    That is indeed, unfortunate, but take heart...you're not culpable, you don't owe any money on the CX7. Maybe the dealership can track down an alternate in stock somewhere else? Failing that, maybe that can provide a loaner until something suitable comes in?

Vince.
  • Options
    Interim update:

Just got off the phone with my salesperson. He was not aware of this boat situation, so I faxed him a hard copy of the Bloomberg article. He said he would do his best to try to find out if my car is on that boat.

Normally, he informed me, the cars sold from this dealership (located in Danbury, Connecticut) come in to Port Newark (New Jersey), and not from the west coast. So I'm clinging to that bit of hope. Also, my husband was noodling around the internet and found something that said that it's possible that much of that boat's cargo was intended for the Vancouver market. That hasn't been confirmed, but it also gives me a bit more hope.

In any event - the salesman said he'd keep me posted. By the by, he's been great all the way (I've been reading the "Stories from the Sales Front" thread, and figured a positive comment would be a refreshing change!). I'll update again once I hear more!! Keeping my fingers crossed...

Oh, and if worse comes to worse, I figure I can rent a car if need be; that would likely be less than my monthly payment anyway. But let's hope it doesn't come to that! :D
  • Options
    Me again, but this time with GOOD news! My car is NOT on that boat, hallelujah. It's on a different boat and will end up at Port Newark. The salesman said it takes those ships a good 3-4 weeks to arrive from Japan, since they make many stops along the way. He also confirmed that the cars on the boat in question are indeed intended for the Vancouver market and surrounding areas. So...they'll have to wait and see if the cars can be recovered and if so, what shape they're in (the boat tipped 90 degrees!!).

In any event, I am relieved...the salesman said he'd call me the moment my car arrives, but I'll be mentally holding my breath til then! :)
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Is it too soon for jokes? :P

Now all CX7 turbos are water-cooled.

Mazda launches a new line of amphicars.

Alaskan King Crabs find nice, new homes.

I'm here all week, folks, don't forget to tip your waiters and waitresses! :D

-juice
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Good to hear.

The news coverage is pretty skimpy.

"The shipment aboard the Cougar Ace was bound for Vancouver, British Columbia, Tacoma, Washington, and then Port Hueneme near Ventura, California, said Mazda spokesman Jeremy Barnes." Reuters

"Still unknown was the fate of the nearly 5,000 cars, mostly Mazdas, secured in compartments with heavy chains inside the vessel. Watertight compartments and doors in the ship could be contributing to the ship's buoyancy, Beuerman said." Anchorage Daily News (registration may be required).
  • Options
    maximafanmaximafan Member Posts: 592
    (LOL!!!)
  • Options
    I posted this several days ago under CX-7 Problems and Solutions, but I haven't received an answer, so I'll post it here under the general CX-7 discussion.

This applies to model's with the Tech Package.

The owner's manual seems to indicate that the Voice Command can be suspended. Sometimes, I want to use the steering column's MUTE button for just that...mute. However, with Nav installed, the mute button activates Voice Command. The owner's manual indicates that if I press the Voice Command button aka Mute for .7 seconds continually, then Voice Command is suspended. No such luck. The audio system is still broadcasting music. If I press the Voice Command button again, the audio goes mute for a few seconds, but the NAV system interprets the silence as an unrecognized command.

The owner's manual is clearly wrong or poorly written or I'm just flat-out doing something wrong.

Any thoughts?

Vince.
  • Options
    varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    It is very possible there's a misprint in the manual. If your dealer doesn't have an answer, see if they will give you a contact number for the Mazda Zone office. This sport of thing isn't their typically cup of tea, but they will have better connections with Mazda Corporate and may be able to assist.
  • Options
    speedsecspeedsec Member Posts: 9
    FYI everybody, I had questioned in this forum the capability of the air conditioning when I first bought the car almost two months ago. So I thought I'd give a quick update. After taking the car back to the dealer and complaining, they checked it out and told me it came back within specification. Interestingly, they gave me a CX-7 loaner car for the day. Its A/C was much colder. The service rep checked out both cars side-by-side, and indeed, the air blowing out of the vents in my car was a full 5 to 7 degrees warmer than in the loaner. Back to the shop it went. They evacuated the system and recharged it, and it worked significantly better. It seems there was too much humidity in the system, which keeps it from cooling as well. The specifications don't always matter. Furthermore, he said that he noticed that on some of the other loaner cars, they were warm too. So it was not an isolated problem.

Heads up to anyone who isn't certain the A/C is being all it can be, and to anyone who's told something's "within specifications," and still isn't satisfied!
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Please check the Mazda CX-7 folder for specific issues you wish to discuss. You may "Add a Discussion" using the link at the top of the page to create a new discussion if your issue isn't already listed.

tidester, host
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Enjoy!

tidester, host
  • Options
    OK, I'll be the first to post in this re-opened thread.

I picked up my CX-7 on August 12th. Since then, I have seen exactly THREE other CX-7s. I live in the NY/CT metro area and drive 60 miles round trip to work every day, not to mention trips into the city, and the like, so I'd have thought by now I'd be seeing more CX-7s. In some ways, it's great! I love having what appears to be a completely unique vehicle. On the other hand...is it not selling well? Is there a reason I'm not seeing the car on the road? Makes me curious.

What is everyone else's experience? Do you see other CX-7s around on a regular basis? Do tell!
  • Options
    carlitos92carlitos92 Member Posts: 458
    It's been almost 4 months for me. Live in D/FW. I've seen a copper one a few times, that someone around where I work owns. Looks great; if I didn't always drive like I was on a bank job getaway, I could DO that color. (Mine's a more discreet Galaxy Gray)

Almost ran INTO a black one at Wal-Mart yesterday. I've had a recurring white one pop up on my commute as well.

All in all, I think in almost 4 months, I've seen only 4 distinct CX-7s on the road.
  • Options
    CX-7s are popping up everywhere, here in northern VA. I went to a Harley Davidson dealer this weekend, shopped, and was shocked to find an identical Copper Mica parked next to mine! The nerve of the guy! How dare he, to buy something I already owned! He could've at least picked a different color!!! :P

Vince.
  • Options
    I've seen a few more than that. One of the parents with a kid in the local school has one so I see it almost every day.

It's not selling as quickly as the Honda CR-V, but it should be beating the RD-X. I've seen ever fewer of those Acuras.

-juice
  • Options
    driverdmdriverdm Member Posts: 505
    There's a saying that success breeds success. As more people buy, more people will take a look. People will see their neighbor with one and their co-worker. The car business is a word of mouth industry so the more you talk, the more people will buy. Just wait a little. Numbers month over month are getting better and better.
  • Options
    sssfegysssfegy Member Posts: 132
    Just got the numbers from Mazda USA, the CX7 out sold all the Mazda6 line up by over 100 units! 400 more units over last month.
  • Options
    That's great to hear! I guess none of those were sold in Connecticut, though! ;)
  • Options
    fonefixerfonefixer Member Posts: 247
    I picked up a Copper Red CX-7 AWD GT w/ the compass mirror, trailer hitch hookup, rear bumper guard, and rear rubber tray carpet protector for $28,350.00 +TT+L on October 24th.Paid $1350.00 extra for the MAZDA "total care" 3yr/50,000 extended warranty w/$100 deductible per service visit.

Experiencing 17~19 MPG on premium 91 octane fuel during the first 1500 miles of driving. Live in Minneapolis/St. Paul and besides the Mazda dealer lot, have yet to see a single CX-7 on the road.

Check engine light came on 2 days after purchase, but a replacement gas cap that obviously fits better has solved that problem. Enjoy driving the vehicle, it really has the get up and go! 80 mph at about 2500 rpm in 6 th gear and the Cx-7 is hardly working at all. This vehicle does not have to be revved much to make it move. Like the braking, cornering, feel of the steering wheel and especially the heating system. The cabin just warms up w/o the constant blowing of hot air on the driver/passenger.

This is my first experience with Mazda, hopefully I will be a stranger to the service department.
  • Options
    Just like Subaru, some areas of the country just don't the same appeal I guess. But good for you, you must feel very special out there! :P Hope you enjoy your CX7.
  • Options
    Thanks! I must say, I do get a lot of curious looks, and more than once, have come out of a store only to find someone standing there inspecting the car. I've had some great conversations about it with these folks...maybe Mazda should pay me some commission!
  • Options
    In their review of the Edge, one editor points to the CX7 as the smarter choice. That won't hurt.

And those sales are high despite that ship that damaged all those CX7s on board. Imagine when supply is ramped up again.

-juice
  • Options
    aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    Yeah, I saw that. He was rather blunt in saying his opinion was the CX-7 was superior to the Edge in almost every driving category.
  • Options
    topgun7topgun7 Member Posts: 412
    I am interested in a CX-7. There are some reviews mentioning turbo lag and torque steer under heavy throttle. Does anyone experience that? I am interested in a GT with Tech and Nav. Can someone compare the nav in CX-7 to Honda or Toyota's nav? thanks.
  • Options
    carlitos92carlitos92 Member Posts: 458
    Well, the RAV-4 does not offer nav at all, and any larger Toyota product probably does not compete with the CX-7. The '07 CR-V offers nav but since I just got my CX-7 (no nav) I probably will not be looking further into the Honda.

Your perception of turbo lag might depend on what kind of car you are coming from. Compared to a small four-cylinder engine (say, a Honda Civic), the engine response in the Mazda is not bad at all. Compared to a whomping American V-8, I would say you have to plan pulling out across a busy intersection a bit differently.

As for torque steer, I have the AWD model and have no complaints at all. To even get the stability control to engage, I really have to hammer the thing around a wet intersection. Good times... :shades:

-c92
  • Options
    I only drove one for about 4 laps at the Zoom Zoom Live event, but I did notice some lag. Thing is, the course was tight and not really set up to allow the turbo to spool up.

Try it out. I felt it was adequate off boost, then quick once boost built up.

-juice
  • Options
    tmanmiatatmanmiata Member Posts: 79
    Like juice, I drove a CX-7 at Zoom Zoom Live and felt the turbo lag. I agree it has more to do with the course. Just as the turbo about to kick in, I had to brake already. There was a short straight that the turbo kicked in. I definitely felt the surge but it was not too abrupt.
  • Options
    Volvo hosted an event at the same site and the S40 T5 didn't feel any quicker than the base S40 for the same reason - no long straight aways for the turbo to spool up.

-juice
  • Options
    cocoagyrl77cocoagyrl77 Member Posts: 4
    First, I want to say that I cam glad you guys are out there discussing your CX-7's. I am excited to be joining you all as a CX-7 owner on Monday. I hope I love it as much as all of you. I have been wanting this vehicle for a while and have become a CX-7 junkie looking for information on it. :D
  • Options
    Like everything else in life, you learn to deal with it. The turbo lag was disconcerting at first, but now I anticipate when I'll need the surge. The only time turbo lag is a problem is when those totally unexpected situations pop up where you need to punch the accelerator or get nailed by an 18 wheeler!
  • Options
    I really only see turbo lag from a dead stop. The turbo is in full boost at 2,500 RPM's. Usually is every other driving situations, the transmission will shift to keep in boost, so you will usually benefit from all the power the engine can provide.

On a long drive, you will not notice any turbo lag.
  • Options
    topgun7topgun7 Member Posts: 412
    Thanks for all the response for turbo lag and torque steer. Anyone has nav and how would you rate the operation of the Nav?
  • Options
    The NAV is barely adequate. I make that judgement as I have an Eclipse AVN 2454 DVD Nav in my Santa Fe. Side-by-side comparisons yields some significant differences.

1. Points of Interest (POI) data base is sparse. As an example, the 2454 shows shopping centers, stores, etc. The Mazda unit has NONE.

2. The 2454 plays DVD movies, the Mazda unit does not.

3. The 2454 can change it's display modes easily whereas the Mazda unit, one has to navigate a series menus to get to the choices.

There are other examples, but the point is that Mazda did this cheap.

Vince.
  • Options
    calessicalessi Member Posts: 7
    There is what appears to be a sensor in the front center area of the headliner on my Grand Touring CX-7. It emits a blue light, and looks an awful lot like a bluetooth tranceiver. But the vehicle has no built-in bluetooth capability to my knowledge. Does anyone know what this sensor is?
  • Options
    pctechpctech Member Posts: 43
    It's not a sensor. It's just a blue "spotlight" that matches the blue instrument lights and shines on the shifter. I think the nighttime interior lighting in this car are very cool!
  • Options
    drootdroot Member Posts: 1
    My owners manual says that the clock is set by satilite. How do I compensate for day light saving time.
  • Options
    greg8888greg8888 Member Posts: 5
    Off-Road Capabilities?

I am looking for something to replace my Passat and a Cx-7 AWD is the prime candidate right now. I like most things about it but I am worried about its off-road capabilities. Does it really have the basic ones? I am not looking for a cross-country vehicle. I just need something that manages well on the highway most of the time but that can go thru unpaved and dirt roads without having to worry about it. I almost get stuck while parking on the dirt once with the FWD passat and that is one of the main reasons wanting a replacement.
  • Options
    Most experts have stated that the CX-7 isn't designed for extensive, rugged, off-road use. With that being said, the CX-7 does have a high clearance, AWD, TCS, and large tires. So, you can take it off-road occasionally, but let common sense be your guide.

Vince.
  • Options
    Thanks for your answer, Vince.

Do you then think that driving extensively thru bumpy unpaved roads may be a problem for this car?

Change the tires to all terrain tires will be really needed for that use?
  • Options
    According to Edmunds.com, the CX-7 did great in off-road situations. They did a comparison between the new RAV4, Santa Fe. The CX-7 came in first
  • Options
    cxrabbitcxrabbit Member Posts: 134
    "My owners manual says that the clock is set by satilite. How do I compensate for day light saving time."

Page 49 in the navigation portion of your Owner's Manual.

It's under Menu -> Nav Setup -> Calibration -> Set Clock.
  • Options
    I suppose if you want a dirty CX-7 all the time, then go ahead. Perhaps dings from thrown rocks :P

Me? I'd opt for a Jeep Wrangler - something designed for true off-road use.

My CX-7 is strictly for paved roads.

Vince.
  • Options
    johnny__rfjohnny__rf Member Posts: 83
    Just did a 3 year lease on an awd/gt/with tech. Driving it now for 3 days and I absolutely love this car. I traded in a 2003 CRV and what an improvement all around. I shopped extensively. Didn't like the new CRV, new Rav4 had that same side hinged rear door that the CRV had that I hated, RDX was $4K more than the CX-7 and Acura dealers are sparse up here in New England......
    Just read the Consumer Reports that did nto give CX-7 great marks. Absolutley diagree with them on their "findings". After 200 miles, no problems to report.

Yippee!!!!
  • Options
    I suppose if you want a dirty CX-7 all the time, then go ahead. Perhaps dings from thrown rocks

My father-in-law feels the same way. He keeps his CX-7 in pristine condition, always garaged.
  • Options
    ""Just read the Consumer Reports that did nto give CX-7 great marks. Absolutley diagree with them on their "findings".

Makes you wonder what planet CR comes from. They poo-poo the car, yet Road & Track, Car & Driver, Edmunds, and many others rave about it.

Vince.
  • Options
    Being in a Mazda and a Toyota dealership, we sold over 40 CX7's, and more than 120 Rav's, the CX7 had NO issues other than the gas cap! The Rav had a much wider range of quality issues...but I'm sure C.R being more involved they get different results! They love the "Best average cars!" :confuse:
  • Options
    No, like I said, I will drive ON highways most of the time. What I meant is that if I want to drive thru 30 miles of unpaved road to a campsite (not really offroading) should I be worried about with this vehicle?

Using other tires does not seems an option, since I didn't found any vendor that supplies all-terrain tires with that specifications.
  • Options
    Thanks aviboy97,

I suppose that somehow answers my question to Vince.

However, in absence of specific manufacturer recomendations about what kind of pavements this vehicle will manage ok, I will love to hear people's experiences when driving it thru, for example, unpaved roads.