Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Ram Real World MPG Numbers

Comments

• I Love This Truck!!
    It is very nimble in traffic and has tons of power. I was getting 15-16 mpg in a small town stop and go. I change my oil at 2400 and went on a 400 mile trip avg speed 70 mph with an avg mpg of 18. I pulled a Tacoma 4X4 on a tandem trailer for 75 miles and avg. 16 mpg. This past week I went on a trip of 580 miles all on the interstate avg speed 75-80 mph, (I set my cruise at 75-78) and left it alone as much as possible. I had 3200 miles on the truck and I filled the tank until I could see the fuel about 2" from the edge of the fill nozzle. I averaged 20.8 mpg. I couldn't believe it.

I have been very happy so far. I plan to continue my "break in period" and then I have been considering a programmer, AFE air filter and +/- dual exhaust. Any thoughts out there?
  • zeniffzeniff Posts: 7
    Doesn't all this worry about gas mileage and owning a Dodge Ram seem like an oxymoron? If you wanted optimal gas mileage, you should have purchased a truck from a company that cared a little about those things -- gas mileage, pollution, etc. Check out these articles on Daimler Chrysler's thoughts along these lines:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=119166

http://www.inform.kz/showarticle.php?lang=eng&id=147616

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6247371.stm?ls
  • i am looking into the 2500 like a 03-05 with the hemi, 4 door and 4 wheel drive i would like to know the mpg on this truck only. THanks
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    ...Dodge Ram MPG-Real World Values discussion.

kcram - Pickups Host

Need help navigating? kcram@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• hey numb nuts:

I get ~10mpg with my new '07 and smile every time I fill this fine machine. Please, go jump off of a melting ice berg will ya?
    Not necessary. You can disagree without the name calling.

kcram - Pickups Host

Need help navigating? kcram@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• jjn3jjn3 Posts: 2
    I have an '06 2500 Cummins 4wd with the 6 speed manual transmission. This is the third new truck with the Cummins I have had since my first '01 model. My '01 and '03 models were automatics and got great mileage on the highway while not towing. I am not happy with the rpm's my '06 turns at highway speeds. I generally drive 75 to 80 when not towing and this thing is turning upwards of 2400 rpm. It does best around 1900 rpm but that means I have to drive at 65 mph. I don't mind doing that when I am towing but it is a pain when empty. Does anyone know of a solution to this besides changing ring gears? If I do change the ring gears, what all is involved?
  • dustykdustyk Posts: 2,926
    Looking through your past posts the anti-Chrysler bias is clearly evident. Besides the cooments on the Smart Car, I could not help but notice that in the one article it was stated that, "Niether Ford's chief economist Ellen Hughes-Cromwick, nor, General Motors' chief economist Moustafa Mohatarem....questioned [Jolissaint's] assertions." Yet your criticism was leveled only at Chrysler.

Mr. Jolissaint's comments aside, it is a fact that the issue of global warming as well as the cause has not reached a consensus across the scientific community. And for good reason. The global warming alarmists have based their predictions on a modeling that has too many inconclusive or incorrect assumptions. In my opinion, global warming alarmism has reached the pious stature of a religion.

Since Chrysler, like any other automobile manufacturer, must play in the field of the free market system, as a company it cannot ignore the market forces that affect sales. All companies have had to respond to the pressure of increased economy. The fact that Chrysler makes a Mega Cab is not a neceesary indicator that they have no respect for the earth, as you submit.

It is also curious to note that the Mega Cab consumes no more fuel than 3/4 or 1 ton light duty pickup. In reality the Mega Cab brings more room to a light duty pickup configuration than any 3/4 or 1 ton version from Ford or GM, which I might add, will outsell the Mega Cab hundreds of times over, yet get gas mileage in the same range. Like many of those that hate the SUV, this leaves me with the impression that maybe what offends you so much with the Mega Cab is based on class envy more than any supposed concern about the earth.

Dusty
  • Lets start with saying i pick up my 2500 hemi 4x4 slt 4.10 on thursday with 200 miles on it. I was told that the 2006 hemi had the (mds) system in it to get better fuel mpg. Well just found out that the 2500 doesnt come with this option. Any of you guys help me out on giving me any idea what kind of mpg i will get without any type of load on it? nobody seems to be able to give me a reasonable figure. Thanks for your time

dave P.s any mega owners be able to tell me first hand?
    The problem is the gearing on the new 6-speed manual (G56). Overdrive is a rather short 0.79:1 - by comparison, the 48RE automatic is 0.69:1. There's no factory changes you can make to improve your mpg - the rumor mill said AAM was working on a 3.42 diff for Dodge, but so far, no dice.

kcram - Pickups Host

My experience with 3/4 ton RAMs and Hemi engine is any where from 10.5 to 14 MPG in varied driving.

I've also found 3/4 ton trucks from other manufacturers are in the same exact range, except for the really big GM 6.2 engines, which can get even lower.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • jjn3jjn3 Posts: 2
    What is AAM? Is that an aftermarket manufacturer?
    AAM is American Axle and Manufacturing. You probably know them better as the old GM Axle division - they were spun off as an independent some years back.

...yes, and I wish Dodge would find another supplier.

Dusty
  • i got a 06 1500 with 3.73 gears my mileage rihgt now doing a 60/40 split freeway/city with 3000 on the odometer is right at 14 mpg up from 12 mpg when new the 1500 is basicly a 2500 so hope you do as good
  • nj123nj123 Posts: 3
    would a power wagon with 4.56 gearing beat most other 5.7's or is it far to heavy to compete??
    Hard to say. Keep in mind that the Power Wagon with 4.56s gets a much larger diameter tire, compensating for that low numerical gearing.

Bests,
    Dusty
  • nj123nj123 Posts: 3
    I want to know the real mileage of the 2007 5.7 V8 2500 with MDS. Does the engine need to run on 91 or can it do with 89?
    Thanks
  • i own a 2006 megacab 2500 4x4 with the hemi and 410 rear end. I do not have the Mds system and from what i hear only the 1500 on the 2007 trucks have the mds and people are not to happy with the performance. I just hit the 1000 mile mark and average overall about 14.5 mpg split highway/city. you can run the 87 fuel the owner manuel says but they recomend on this engne the 89 fuel