Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

A Touchscreen That's Not Always A Touchscreen-2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited July 2016 in Mazda
imageA Touchscreen That's Not Always A Touchscreen - 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Long-Term Road Test

There are two ways to interact with the optional infotainment system in the 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata. But only one works while you're driving

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    longtimelurkerlongtimelurker Member Posts: 455
    Totally not getting how much they nick you for, for this interface, and then it doesn't even work most of the time...
  • Options
    kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    I HATE the whole "oh, you can't do this while driving". Is it a law that enforces this or just some concerns about liability? Its crazy. On the new Civic in Android Auto with Spotify, you can't even browse all of your PLAYLISTS while driving, so on our shared account when my kids listen to music, that goes to the top and I can't access my music. Its absurd. Using voice doesn't seem to be able to access them that way.
  • Options
    moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
  • Options
    barich1barich1 Member Posts: 143
    I find Mazda Connect to be by far the easiest to operate infotainment system I've used (including Cadillac's CUE, whatever VW has in the 2016 Golf, and My Ford Touch). I can see how the touch screen being disabled when in motion might frustrate you if you're used to cars that don't do that, but having gotten used to the system in my own car, using the commander knob is far superior to trying to stab my finger at relatively small touch targets while the car is moving. I have memorized how many turns/pushes it takes to switch to frequently used items so I can, say, open the fuel economy monitor without even looking at the screen. I definitely feel safer using that than a touch screen while driving.
  • Options
    bromansbromans Member Posts: 17
    @barich1 That is a worthwhile point about the system overall. I actually like Mazda's infotainment interface. It works well in the Mazda 3, for example. But I'm curious -- do you own a Miata? The controller's odd location on the console makes it less usable in my opinion, thereby highlighting the non-operating aspect of the touchscreen -- Brent
  • Options
    legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599
    It's easy to knock them for this but I'd bet this is a bigger contributor to safety than airbags or crash test results or all the electronic nannies that correct your bad driving. I'll poke at a touchscreen when I'm driving but it's much harder to do it accurately than when working with physical controls.
  • Options
    schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433
    I don't really like touchscreens in cars because my OCD flares up when I see fingerprints all over the screen. In my new Acura with the dual screen setup, I actually never use the lower touchscreen. All the functions can be controlled via the controller knob on the upper screen. Our litigious society is the reason for functionality lock-out when the car is moving. This is why we can't have nice things.
  • Options
    nsbio1nsbio1 Member Posts: 75
    I try to avoid any car that gives me lawyer's talk every single time I start it up. There is too much spam around as it is. The last thing I need is more spam. Doesn't Sport trim come without this?
  • Options
    desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    Anyone know if the gear shift knob from the 2016 Miata fits on the previous generation?
  • Options
    barich1barich1 Member Posts: 143
    bromans said:

@barich1 That is a worthwhile point about the system overall. I actually like Mazda's infotainment interface. It works well in the Mazda 3, for example. But I'm curious -- do you own a Miata? The controller's odd location on the console makes it less usable in my opinion, thereby highlighting the non-operating aspect of the touchscreen -- Brent

Nah, I've got a 6. Haven't sat in a new Miata, but if the controller placement is poor I can see how that would be an issue.
  • Options
    pauljaypauljay Member Posts: 19
    I bought a "sport" so I don't have any of these infotainment issues. All I needed was a radio, CD player and a GPS receptacle...and that's what I have, although they're not all in the most ideal locations.