Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2010 and 2011 Ford Escape RV towing problem with transmission problem.

tjmarkle42tjmarkle42 Member Posts: 1
edited November 2016 in Ford
I have towed my 2010 and 2011 Escape AWD behind my motorhome. Both transmission failed while being towed. I lemon lawed the 2010 and won then moved to the 2011 as I was told the transmission had been successfully modified. My 2011 transmission failed in July 2016 and I've filed a complaint with the Michigan Better Business Bureau against Ford Motor Co. I have seen other blogs about the same problem I have and want to connect with other RV owners who tow an Escape AWD. Is this possible here?

Answers

• Options
    thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    edited November 2016
    Not sure who told you the transmission was modified but that is not the case. Without the engine running the transmission pump isn't running so there is no lubrication. There are aftermarket pumps that can be installed to circulate the transmission fluid when it is being towed, without that I would expect the transmission to fail if the vehicle is flat towed routinely. FWIW I have a 2010 Escape (not towed) that will be over 180K by the end of this week and have no transmission issues.
  • Options
    bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    You should not flat tow an automatic Escape. The transmission is not designed for this type of towing. I am surprised that Ford replaced a transmission for you under warranty. Did they know you towed the vehicle? If they did, you sure were lucky to get it replaced.