Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura TSX Real World MPG Numbers

Comments

• storymanstoryman Posts: 17
    The navigation computer on the TSX is set to reset with every fill-up. I'm wondering how accurate are the numbers provided by the computer. From what the computer says we are getting 32 mpg on the highway with high octane fuel.
  • lmacmillmacmil Posts: 1,756
    Can't speak for the TSX but the trip computer in my wife's Highlander is typically about 1 mpg optimistic. Keep track of the miles driven and gallons used over your next 3 tankfuls and compare to the trip computer readings and let us know.
  • jg88jg88 Posts: 59
    So far, have not been able to discern which gets better highway mileage, the 6sp or auto? Doesn't the auto run at lower rpm's at highway speeds? If so, wouldn't the auto get better mileage in top gear?

As for premium v. regular, my findings suggested to stay with premium. With regular, it appeared the mileage dropped more than the cost difference so it was a losing proposition. Also, the shifting with the automatic was not as smooth, it was much more clunky with regular. Since most modern autos 'retard' the spark plug for an instant to make the shift smooth, I wondered if regular gas somehow messed up the timing for shifting purposes. Am referring to my old RL -- may be getting in the market soon for a new ride and am thinking about getting a TSX for this latest version of my on-going mid-life crisis. Right now I drive a company car and it appears to be going away in October. Bummer, loved the price! (Hate the ride, a stripped Impala but free is free...) Am thinking '04 TSX, certified/used, or going back to an RL vintage '01 or '02.
  • delmar1delmar1 Posts: 744
    You won't have that much of a price savings by going with a 2004 TSX versus dealing for a brand new 2005 TSX during the close-out months.

I understand that the Auto gets better mileage than the manual. Highway gets 32 vs. 29. How counter-intutitive...but the electronics has done the trick.
    Saw an ad in the local paper in Houston for a privately owned TSX auto for 22,500 with less than 20k miles. That seemed to be a pretty fair price. Figure when the 06's come out, the 04's will drop onto the lower 20k range. The Acura website lists certified used cars right on the dealer cost plus range but I would consider those numbers to be highly negotiable.

Am leaning toward the auto because of highway mileage for expressway driving and also because of the manu-matic capability. Seems like the best of both worlds. Reading 30+ mpg commments in here for highway driving is pretty impressive.
  • delmar1delmar1 Posts: 744
    20,500 miles in one year is A LOT of miles....
  • upset5upset5 Posts: 3
    Is there ANYONE who is having problems with getting the indicated MPG on their TSX? I have a 2005 TSX (V4) that I bought because of the sticker indicated 23/32 MPG. I barely break 14 for city and 22 highway and maybe get 180 miles to a tank of gas. (On the rare occasion that empty dot comes on-and it rarely does since I keep the tank above 1/4 full always-I get so nervous because I literally have 15 miles to go). My SUV friends all get better mileage (including the Acura MDX!) Acura Dealerships all give the same excuse:"Independent/Government regulated, not actual numbers. They hand out pieces of paper indicating a 10/22% decrease in the "real world" consumption but even those percentages don't come close. I use premium only, I've had the tires checked, the engine checked. Everyone shrugs their shoulders while I get more and more aggravated every time I'm at the pump.! Any thoughts?
  • stillageekstillageek Posts: 101
    I have a 2005 TSX auto W/Navi. I have found MPG swings GREATLY depending on the right foot. When I have my "foot to the firewall" often I get the low 20's sometimes dipping into the upper teens. If I drive like a sane person, gentle acceleration never speeding I get 28-29 MPG. On the rare occasion my wife drives even in the city she gets 30+ in the city! Her numbers don't count though, her normal car is a 2004 Prius. She drives my car with a very light foot much like the way she drives her car. On long highway trips I get a steady 35 MPG+ going 70-80 MPH.
  • johnny420johnny420 Posts: 473
    I find it hard to believe you only get 180 miles per tankful. That's just unbelievable. I can usually get 350 if I drive conservatively in my '04. Are you calculating the mileage manually or by relying on the navigation system?

BTW, the TSX four-banger is an I4, not a V4.

Also, when the yellow light comes on, you have better than three gallons of fuel left, which will take you closer to 60 miles than 15. The TSX is very conservative in this regard, with the light coming on so soon.

Sorry to hear of your problem, but I've never heard of a TSX getting fuel mileage that poor. Perhaps the motor is not fully broken in. Keep driving it, maybe things will improve. Other than that, I just don't know. Maybe you can look into your local lemon laws.

Remember, if you feel something is truly wrong, don't let the dealer off the hook. Stay after them.

Johnny
  • johnny420johnny420 Posts: 473
    Hey, stillageek, I don't care how heavy one is on the gas, I just can't believe the TSX would ever get only 180 miles on a tankful. That's something like 10.5 MPG on a full 17 gallon tank. That's not poor, that's phenomenally bad.

I drive the wheels off mine all the time, and the warning light doesn't ususually come on until the 320 mile mark or so, indicating I've still got 3+ gallons left.

I suspect we're getting our collective chains yanked, or this person is really bad at math.

Johnny
    I am not heavy footed, I don't drive like a maniac, I don't have the navigation system but I am actually quite good at math. The dealer told me that after 3000 miles, the engine is considered broken in. They don't know where else to look; they just hand me another sheet from Acura explaining how one arrives at the listed MPG.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,599
    Honda engines have a reputation for not achieving the best fuel economy until somewhere aroung 10,000 miles. Give the engine time to fully break in.

Also, what are your driving conditions? Are you doing stop and go, NYC, rush hour traffic or rural/interstate driving? There are so many things that can affect fuel economy.

Good Luck.
  • rko2rko2 Posts: 40
    If you are really driving this car normally....that is driving some highway miles, not idling much, and using premium, there may be something wrong with your setup. I'm assuming the dealer has already done a once over on your engine/fuel system.

A few things to try....
    1. Almost empty the tank and use premium gas from a well known brand (amoco, shell, bp, etc.).
    2. Ask the dealer to change your oil and do the regular checks.
    3. Ask the dealer to check your brakes. It is possible one or more brake pads are misaligned and constantly rubbing the rotor. I would guess this would dramatically reduce gas mileage.
    4. Keep rigorous records of your gas mileage, down the hundreth of a gallon and mile (from the regular odometer, not the trip), and write down the date, time and gas station (keep your receipt). If you have consistent reconds to show the dealer, this will help your case.
    5. If your current dealer still won't listen, go to another dealer.
    6. If you still get nowhere, call Acura and open a file for investigation. Kep asking for the next person's boss if you don't get anywhere. Persistence (in a calm and friendly voice always) is underrated.
    7. If you still don't get anywhere, you can bring up talk of plastering this information on every TSX site and contacting your local better business bureau.

If you numbers are truly that low, I would think you have an easy time claiming that you have a lemon. You should be able to right the situation. Good luck, and let us know what happens.
    Thanks for your advice. I've already done 1-5 including showing all the gas receipts. I did call Acura and all they did was send me the same papers the dealers all gave me. They calimed that no one has complained about this problem. I find it hard to believe that I will have to wait to hit the 10,000 mile mark before the engine breaks in-I'll trade the car in before that). But I will call Acura again and request they open a file for investigation. Thanks you.
  • drewbadrewba Posts: 154
    I've had a 2005 AT TSX for about a month now. In that time, I've averaged 23.7 MPG in a mix of about 90% city (and congested freeway) and 10% open highway. The most recent tank was the best, in spite of me accelerating quite a bit more aggressively now that I'm through the break-in period.
  • frisconickfrisconick Posts: 1,275
    I would check to see if your state has a lemon law. :lemon:
    Getting 23-24 mpg in 90% city driving seems pretty good to me. That's the kind of dricving that usually results in the worst condidtions for gas engines and the best for hybrids.
  • drewbadrewba Posts: 154
    Yeah, it isn't too far off. My previous car (a 1998 Passat) was rated at 21 city/30 highway if I remember correctly and that got me 23-24 MPG for the same type of driving. Thus, I'm hoping to get a little higher for a newer, marginally more efficient car.
  • I have 25K miles on my 2004TSX with automatic. I have been using regular unleaded for the last 10K miles while driving 75% of the time on the interstate in the Phoenix area. I keep track of the mileage at each fill up and have been averaging 31.5 MPG. I have not noticed any decrease in performance or engine noise. I am very satisfied with the vehicle and would certainly consider another TSX for my next purchase.
  • bob78bob78 Posts: 5
    I recently drove 436 (mostly highway) miles on just under 14 gallons of gas, that's just over 31 MPG.