Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Kia Optima 2006.5-2008

Comments

• Options
    joe131joe131 Member Posts: 998
    For 2007, the interior sizes of the 3 are actually all different from one another, but the Elantra and Spectra are very close, while the Optima is significantly larger for passengers.

EPA lists volume in cubic feet for passengers/cargo:
    Elantra........98/14
    Optima.......104/14
    Spectra........97/12

Manufacturer lists passenger/cargo volume:
    Elantra........97.9/14.2
    Optima.......104.2/14.8
    Spectra........97.0/12.2
  • Options
    csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    http://newcartestdrive.com/

"Ride quality varied between the cars we drove, with the LX wearing the Kumho tires on 16-inch wheels the less compliant, although by no means rough or bumpy. This surprised us, as generally the taller a tire's sidewall, the more give and the better the ride, and on the Optima, the 17-inch wheels wear the lower-profile Michelin tires with shorter sidewalls. On the other hand, and probably because of the sidewall height, the EX delivered the crisper, more responsive handling. This isn't to imply the EX is a sports sedan, given its forward-weight bias and comfort-oriented suspension settings, but merely that it's the more enjoyable of the two models."

Looks like the 60 series Kumho tires are actually stiffer than the sporty Michelins. When they wear out you might want to change tires. Kumhos usually score pretty high with TireRack.com's user ratings. This might be a unique tire-- OEM tires are sometimes cheaper.
  • Options
    mickeyrommickeyrom Member Posts: 936
    Its not so much a complaint ,as an observation.My car originally came with Michellins,but they seemed to be out of round,so they just switched the wheels with another Optima.Before I bought this car I drove an Optima with the appearance package,which includes the 17 in. rims.This one was definitely a harder ride than the 16 inchers.Matter of fact I found it so hard that I had almost decided to forget about the Optima altogether.A loaded Sonata Ltd. would have cost me only around a thousand more after the discounts.The only reason I went to the KIa was for the alleged better mileage.34 v 30 MPG on the top of the line car.You might not know,that there is no Sonata with leather available with a 4 cyl.
  • Options
    Look back at my earlier post about add-on leather (not you, others-- too late for you unless you buy a Hyundai). Dealer only charged me $500 charge. Actually looks as good as factory leather to my untrained eye.
  • Options
    Yes,I saw that post.I also wanted a power seat and that required a LTD.
  • Options
    My base (LS in 2005) Malibu Maxx had a 2 way power seat. Not as upscale as an 8 way but a lot handier than the lever on the side of the Optima. Not bad for a sixteen thousand dollar car.

Yet, the Malibu boards had someone complaining about that--wanted an eight way seat on every car. I guess everyone's expectations change over time. I bought my last new car without air conditioning in 1980.
  • Options
    Let me see...my first new car was a Plymouth Belvedere II with no radio,with automatic transmission,and a vinyl interior.I thought it was wonderful.Oh,it also had whitewall tires and full hub-caps.Wow!!!!(MSRP-$2650)
    The first car I bought with air was a 70 Ford LTD.It was a gorgeous car,but it didnt have any power equipment.In 1980 I bought a new 1980 Toyota Corolla station wagon,and the only extra was the automatic transmission.It cost, $6000.00
    BTW the 67 Plym and 80 Toyota got almost the same mileage,although the Plym had a slant 6 and the Toyota a 1.8 4 cylinder engine.Not only that,but the Plym. was much heavier.Didnt make much sense to me.
  • Options
    Only averaged 21 mpg. Roughly 5 mpg less than what I would have averaged with the 'BuMaxx V-6. Not real good for a four but I do know Hyundai engines are really stiff when new and it has been extremely (for Missouri) cold.
  • Options
    Just got my latest issue of Consumer Reports.Optima was rated 5th among "family" sedans,yet didnt get a red check mark of approval.Neither did the cars rated #1 and #2.Pretty weird.It also says that real word MPG in the city is 16 and HWY 34.
    I can live with my MPG,25.5 after 3000 miles,but my Huyndai averaged 3 more MPG,which doesnt make sense.
  • Options
    CR would want more consumer feedback before awarding the check. 15 city and 30 hwy (new engine) would have averaged 22.5 mpg-- roughly what I got and less than you've been averaging-- tight engine I'd think. Your car should continue to improve up to about 5000 miles.

An average of 28.5 is really outstanding for a mid-sized car. Is this from actual computations or does the Sonata compute mpg in its drivers information computer?
  • Options
    All my estimates are all done by dividing miles by gallons.The computer on the Sonata was pretty accurate,but the Optima doesnt have this feature on its computer.(a big DUH for KIA for that)
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    A couple of weeks ago we had Kia Marketing VP Ian Beavis in for a chat with members and guests. Click here to read the transcript. Enjoy!
  • Options
    imacheapsk8imacheapsk8 Member Posts: 31
    Just a follow up on my 2006.5 Optima...

I now have 4k trouble free miles on my Optima, and can honestly say i'm so glad i saved my money and bought this rather than a Camry. The build quality, and refinement continue to amaze me!
  • Options
    njresidentnjresident Member Posts: 6
    I took my 2006.5 Kia Optima to the dealership for 7,500 Mile Service. They did the service/discovered a problem. They gave me the codes as B1365 & B1368. Something to do with the Pretensioner. What is this and how much does it cost to fix?
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Nothing! The car is still under full warranty.
  • Options
    liking this car more and more. Engine seems to be loosening up a bit now that it's out of the break in mode.
  • Options
    What exactly is a 7500 mile service for,if you dont mind me asking. :confuse:
  • Options
    The KIA tech "re flashed"something and so far so-good.The warning light has been as it's supposed to be.On when the seat is empty and off with an adult passenger.Too bad it took over 3 months to fix.That amounts to a waste of 500 miles off my warranty, and approx two tanks of gas.(I live 50 miles from the dealer) :mad:
  • Options
    orbit9090orbit9090 Member Posts: 116
    >> Re: The new Elantra is about like the Spectra in size, not Optima.

The new Elantra and old Spectra are different platforms, however they do share the same motor.

Amazingly, the new 2007 Elantra feels as roomy to me as the "larger" Optima and Sonata, its just smaller on the outside.

2007 Hyundai Elantra
    Height 58.3"
    Headroom 40"
    Legroom 43.5"

2007 Kia Optima\Hyundai Sonata
    Height 58.3"
    Headroom 39.8"
    Legroom 43.7"
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Based on interior volumes, the Elantra is considerably smaller inside than either the Optima or Sonata. I think the main difference is in the back seat, where the Optima and Sonata have noticeably more leg room.
  • Options
    And we must remember that the Sonata and Optima are different platforms too. The Elantra is closer to the Optima in interior volume, as they are both classified as mid-size by the EPA. The Sonata is in the large car category.
  • Options
    Nope. The Elantra and Spectra are closer in size than Elantra and Optima

EPA figures (passenger/cargo volume in cubic feet):
    2007 Elantra 97/12
    2007 Spectra 98/14
    2007 Optima 104/14

All 3 are EPA mid-size cars.
  • Options
    #357 of 378 Elantra/Optima/Spectra by joe131 Jan 23, 2007 (10:50 pm)
    Bookmark | Reply | E-mail Msg
    For 2007, the interior sizes of the 3 are actually all different from one another, but the Elantra and Spectra are very close, while the Optima is significantly larger for passengers.

EPA lists volume in cubic feet for passengers/cargo:
    Elantra........98/14
    Optima.......104/14
    Spectra........97/12

Manufacturer lists passenger/cargo volume:
    Elantra........97.9/14.2
    Optima.......104.2/14.8
    Spectra........97.0/12.2
  • Options
    Doesn't contradict what I wrote. The Elantra has a total of 102 cubic feet and the Optima has 118. Both fall within the midsize 100 to 120 range. The Spectra just misses being considered midsize and the Optima is one of the roomiest midsizers, just missing being full-size like the Sonata.

I do think people could conceivably cross-shop the Elantra and the Optima 4 cylinder. The Elantra is very roomy for its exterior size. It is after all in the same size category as the Bentley Continental Flying Spur sedan as well as the Bentley Arnage.
  • Options
    Ok. I may have misunderstood you, thinking that you were saying the Elantra was closer to the Optima's size than the Elantra was to Spectra's size.
    My original post was stating Elantra and Spectra are very close in size and it seemed to me you were contradicting that idea. If not, nevermind.
    (the thread goes way back past posts #354 and #356 stating the new elantra was just like the optima inside)

And the Elantra is 112 cu.ft. not 102, right? A typo?
  • Options
    Yep. I can't win for losing!
  • Options
    I'm not sure what the definition of "platform" is any more. I remember a lot of discussion about the 04+ Spectra being on a new or old Elantra platform. In reality I'm sure that things changed a bit for the new Spectra over the 01 Elantra and changed again when the new Elantra came out.

By comparing it to the Elantra, not the Sonata, I was referring to the fact that the front end has simpler struts like the Elantra, not links like the Sonata. I'm sure both cars aren't parts interchangeable.

The Sonata has one additional cubic foot of interior space and two more of trunk than the Optima. The Elantra is six cubic feet under the Optima. So in truth the Optima is closer in size to the Sonata, it just comes in slightly smaller and misses the cut-off point for full-sized.

Didn't even drive the new Elantra as I was turned off by its external looks and the Optima seemed like more car for slightly more money. The new Elantra certainly seems bigger than the last one (I owned an 01).

I find our Optima to seem considerably smaller than our Malibu Maxx. The Optima is slightly wider (European platform of the 'Bu) and seems considerably higher (even though it doesn't show as that big a difference in height). I'm 6'4 and have a great deal more room over my head in the Optima but whether or not you have two or four inches up there really makes little if any difference in the real world.
  • Options
    Its not a big deal...but it's Sonata.
  • Options
    It's not a big deal, but no, it ain't a Sonata anymore, like the previous Optima. Different platform.

Similar equipment, 4 cylinder engines, etc. But the inner structure is no longer shared between the two. Don't know why, as it would have made more sense to share...but they didn't for the latest versions.
  • Options
    I know that.I was simply correcting the spelling.This guy kept calling it a SENATA.Sorry,I know its not my job,but I thought he should know.No big deal,but if I kept calling my car an Aptima I would hope :blush: someone would point out to me that it was an Optima.
  • Options
    Yes, well, I should read previous posts more carefully. Never mind.
  • Options
    ...add some padding to the front seats,add MPG metering to the trip computer,add a compass, and find a way of correcting the very strange and annoying shapes projected by the headlights.Oh yes, improve the MPG too.Otherwise,its a really cool car. :shades:
  • Options
    I agree with you on every point other than the headlights (which I haven't noticed).

Just wound up paying over $800 for an oil change and steering column replacement on my 05 Maxx. This, plus constant (uncalled for by the manual) solicitations to get my transmission fluids changed, combustion chamber cleaned, and god knows what else kind of pyssed me off. In true GM fashion this one seems to have a rock steady power train but complaints about suspension and steering are starting to take over their boards. I guess every brand has their weak points.

I always thought that GM had a better dealer network than Honda/Kia but I'm beginning to wonder. At least the Chevy folks were polite and professional appearing (no experience with Kia at all other than my original delivery).
  • Options
    Watch the lights when you're going downhill,or agaisnt your garage door before it opens.I complained about it,but it seems there is nothing they can do.Im just trying to ignore it.
  • Options
    Mickeyrom--

You seem to be running a bit hot and cold on the Optima. I thought you were unhappy with the mileage. Have things improved there a bit or is it still getting l2+ in town? I assume the air bag sensor is fixed for good.

I don't blame you for being frustrated on that one. Multiple attempts at safety is major IMHO. I still like the Optima a lot but my wife's been sick and since it's her car, it hasn't picked up much mileage as of this point. Planning a late month trip to Atlanta, I'll know better then.

As for my Malibu Maxx, laying out $800+ for a steering column is a bit much. Some people have complained of doing that similar repair four or five times. Hopefully the new parts are better but if I have repeat $800 expenses that WILL sour me on that car. Also a bit ticked at the dealer trying to foist unnecessary services off on me-- the one thing that I thought GM had going for it was a better, more humble dealer corps.

If I had to replace it, the Rondo might be on my short list. Liked that car a lot and if I needed the storage, and the present discounts were on in December, we might have sprung for it.
  • Options
    You seemed to have ducked out of these boards in the last few weeks. Is a new Kia still on your short list or have you gone Suzuki on us? Know the Malibu didn't make the cut because of the lack of a manual transmission.
  • Options
    iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    I have gone bonkers over the new 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer. I want to get a '08 Lancer GTS model in 5-speeds and either Rally Red or Electric Blue. I am leaning towards the Electric Blue.

I am going to order one with the optional Sun and Sound Package(it's $1,500 and includes a 650-watt Rockford Fosgate stereo, 6-CD changer and 9 speakers nicely-placed throughout the cabin AND a sunroof). The sunroof will be nice here in sunny Arizona. There are a lot of places I want to go see here in the Southwest.

The Lancer GTS I am describing will set me back $19,615, which includes the destination charge but does not include tax and license.

The car has too many engineering pluses to mention but suffice to say the ABS w/EBD and 4-wheel disc brakes all around will be nice and safe and it has a driver's knee airbag, airbags up to my eyeballs and all around me, and a Tire Pressure Monitoring system. It will have a trip computer and a mpg-an-o-meter. Oh, it has a nice tachometer built in as well, which I tend to take rather seriously and highly value having.

Mitsubishi engineers are using the 2.0L 4 cyl MIVEC motor that was developed with DCX and Hyundai. It will produce 152 hp and 143 ft-lbs of torque to the wheels. The GTS will have a leather-wrapped steering wheel and leather-wrapped stick shift. Mitsu engineers developed a new exhaust for the '08 Lancer that directs towards the rear(earlier Lancer's strangely had their exhaust directed towards the front of the Lancer)and this has made possible being able to put a new torsional enforcement bar horizontally. This enables the '08 Lancer better handling up front. The GTS has a strut bar up front and back to help with handling.

I have looked at the '08 Lancer interior and it looks smart and neat. I can not find fault with it, at least from internet pictures of it.

I like the new wedge shape of the 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer. I love the rear end taillight design.

I love the 10-spoke wheels, too. This car is so cool looking that I simply must have one. I will strongely convince my wife that I must have one and that we need to be covered by the car's 10-year and 100,000 mile Warranty. I have bought one Kia(our 2001 Kia Sportge 4x4 now has 126,954 miles on it and is still running great...a good candidate to trade in while it still is running like a top)with the Kia Long-Haul Warranty(our '99 Kia Sephia had the then standard 5-year and 60,000 mile Kia Warranty)and it is the best Warranty in the car business.

I think that Mitsubishi's engineering team is very good and Mitsubishi sorely needs to succeed with the new Outlander SUV and the new Lancer. So we will be getting cars with lots of thought and lots of features in them for the money. That is something that I highly value, indeed.

So that's where I've been. I have decided on a '08 Lancer and I'm not researching other cars much at all now. ;)

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• Options
    Hot and cold...well,at times I do like it.The heated seats,the power and leather are all good.I love having tape as well as CD on the stereo,but the gas mileage is pretty bad.My last 4 fill ups: 12.2,20.7,20.4,27.4.The last one all highway, and the ones in the low 20s 80 to 90% highway.The air bag issue seems solved,but why did it take 3 months?I have talked to KIA rep,and they say that it should never get such bad mileage.I will keep you posted.My next fill up will be straight city driving.It is sopposed to be an economy car after all. :lemon:
  • Options
    gy563gy563 Member Posts: 44
    I'm looking to buy Ex I4 with apperance Package (or without one)
    what would be the good price to pay for?
    and how do I make a deal to lower price? (this will be my first time purchasing new car)
    looking for some help guys!
  • Options
    First, compare financing deals you are eligible for with banks and credit unions or family members. You'll need to know what you can get on your own so you can compare it to anything a dealer offers.
    Then, look up MSRP and invoice prices on Edmunds for each car you select as a possible purchase. Also find out what rebates you are eligible for as well as any incentives to the dealer you can find out about.
    Subtract the rebates and incentives from invoice price, then subtract another 1% from the remainder.
    That is your firm offer to buy today. Make the offer in writing at every dealership you visit. If the dealer rejects your offer, drive away to the next dealer.
    If you don't start driving away then you probably will not get to buy for your price.
    If no dealer sells to you, then start over adding that last 1% deduction back into your offer at every dealership. If necessary go back and do it all over again adding another 1%. The only leverage you have in this type of negotiation is driving away after they initially refuse your offer.
    Oh, and if you have a trade-in, don't. Sell it privately instead.
    Be nice and good luck.
  • Options
    gy563...

I always look for "Ad Cars"... for example, if you look back at my earlier posts; you'll see that I paid only $11,000 for my Optima (sticker was ~$18,000). This is the current ad from my local dealer (http://home.quirkcars.com/wtf/k03-05h.jpg). I walked in and got all the rebates I was eligible for plus a "dealer" discount bringing the car down to $11,495. Ad cars are meant to bring people in to the dealership where savvy salesmen talk them into something else, or convince them that the car was a "misprint" or comes with dealer installed options not mentioned in the ad. Don't fall for this!!! Stay focused about only buying the "Ad Car". Currently Kia is offering a $2,000 instant rebate on 2006.5 optimas (same as 2007 model), a $400 recent grad rebate, and competitive edge rebate of $1,000. Use these to your advantage and make sure they are deducted from the bottom line. Also... Don't buy any extended warranties, LoJack, or anything aftermarket.

Settle for nothing less than 3.5k off the 2006.5 optima right now. Hurry up... they're going fast!

Hope this helps:)
  • Options
    Excellent advice! That's how I do it too.
    But if a shopper does not have an ad like that to use the other method will get him a good deal too.
  • Options
    I completely agree... walking out on an offer is a powerful tool, It works like a charm!!! :)
  • Options
    Thanks for the great advice!!!
    I apprecicate it! ;)
  • Options
    Hey guys thanks for the great tip!
    I got another (and last) question.
    just in case I get LX if I change the audio system (since I definitly need mp3 and aux jack) and let the bestbuy or circuit city people install it. would I still be able to use steering wheel audio control?
  • Options
    I seriously doubt that but I guess its possible.Why not just get a car that comes with those features already?
  • Options
    I don't think that will work, but don't worry... I have the best solution. I almost didn't buy the Optima because of the lack of an aux jack... And, I didn't want to get an aftermarket stereo either. So, I overcame this by getting the "Sportster 4" Sirius receiver as it has an aux jack built in to the dock! The receiver fits perfectly in the tray directly in front of the shifter. Now I have Sirius, and an ipod adapter without having to rip out the factory system. It sounds and looks great! iPod integrates perfectly!

It's kind of funny, because I thought I couldn't live without my ipod, but now I find myself listening to "Left of Center" (the BEST Indie station) on Sirius all the time:)

Hope this helps!
    -Z
  • Options
    Hey Mickeyrom....

What did the dealership do to fix your passenger airbag light? My light now stays on after somebody gets in.
  • Options
    The term the tech used was "re flash".It was done at O'Brien KIA in Galesburg IL,but not by their regular mechanics.Evidently it requires a special tool and only the "area" KIA tech has one.Good luck.
  • Options
    Thanks... I'll have to look into this.