Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Ford Mustang Lease Questions

Comments

• josh89josh89 Member Posts: 1
    I am planning to lease Mustang 2007 GT Premium. TOTAL MSRP quoted by the local dealer here in Cleveland is $29,225 with 24 month lease and 10,500 miles per year. BTW, its auto, I requested the quote for manual too, I guess the quote was close to this one.

Let me know what would be monthly payment for the car....

Thanks,
    Josh.
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    Josh,

When Carman said the lease program is bad on the GT, he means that the lease payment will be almost the same as a finance payment.

While the residual will be 69% for 24 months, 10,500 miles, there is no rebate and the lease interest rate is 7.75%!!!! You are going to easily be over $500 a month probably close to $600 after taxes and MV fees.

Mark.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi Josh. You never mentioned the selling price of the car that you are interested in leasing. This is an important number for you as a consumer to know for two reasons. First, the selling prices of leased vehicles can be negotiated, just as if you were paying cash for them. Without knowing the price of the car that you want to lease you don't know how good a price you are getting it for. The second reason is that one needs the selling price of a vehicle that they want to lease is that it is necessary to calculate its lease payment. I would be more than happy to work up a sample lease payment on the car that you are interested in for you if you let me know what its selling price is.

For now I can tell you that the Mustang GT's lease program is not very attractive.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • smithlewsmithlew Member Posts: 1
    Due to a money crunch and probable blown head gasket/cracked head on a '98 Outback w/140k I am going to sign for a lease on a '07 'stang on thursday (2/15). There is a lot of emotion in this decision as I have wanted a Mustang since I was 14, and am 41 now.

The work sheet for purchasing the car is easy to follow and understand, but i am never comfortable following the numbers on a lease work sheet. Here is the information right off the lease worksheet. MSRP-24,850 LEV (residual - 54%) 13,419. Term 36mo, rate 6%. Cash down $2,000 (to help get monthly where i need it to be) rebate $1,000 Trade $3,500, total Working Cash $5,500. Selling Price $23,319.45, Capped adds (told was acquisition fee) $595, Cash Cap reduction $1,449.19, Total Cap reduction $5,949.19, Adjusted Cap Cost $18,722.63, Base monthly rental $227.32, total monthly payment $241.31, sales tax $1261.01 Upfrt Annual fees 39.50, Upfrt initial fees 20.00 security deposit $250.00, Amount due at start $5,500. Mileage is 12k.

If i buy the car at the end of the lease, my total outlay will be about $27,500 with property taxes included in the payments. My plan is to keep the car for a long time. Due to amount of cash needed up front for an affordable finance payment at this point in time a lease is looking to be my only option. I can get 5.56% from my credit union but would have to pay for 6 years and come up with $2,000 more for a downpayment than i will with a lease. The total monthly payments would be about $15 more a month, and the total over 6 years is close to the same, but i would have to pay the tax seperate. The sales rep is one of my clients and i trust him. I don't know if I trust the sales manager as he is the one that runs the numbers, and I don't know him. I don't know if he is taking advantage of all the hidden treasures in a lease for them to play with. Am I getting hosed on this lease???

Thanks for your help. I am supposed to sign the papers and pick up the car in 2 days.
    Also, there is about 50 different ways leases are calculated...one for each state. What state do you live in? What is your zip code?

First, one of the things that people do not realize with leaseing is that cap cost reduction gives you no benefit. When you finance a car, every dollar you use as a down payment saves you money in the long run because you pay less interest.

In a lease, the interest is considered the "rental fee" The amount of interest you pay is calculated BEFORE down payments are subtracted. The downpayment comes off of the total Your cap cost reduction of $6,000 is basically just paying your monthly payments ahead of time. BUT IT DOES NOT lower the amounth of interest you pay.

Most people lease with little or no Cap Cost reduction. Obviously this would put the payment up, but you would have a substantial sum of money in the bank to draw from to meet those higher payments.

Most people DO NOT buy their leased vehicle at the end of the lease unless they have no choice due to huge overmilage charges that they can't afford.

Your lease end value is probably much higher than the street value of the car at turnin. Accordingly, do not assume that you are going to buy the car at the end of the lease, this just may not make sense.

The selling price of the car is negotiable. Use Edmunds TMV to make sure you are getting a good deal.

If you finance, at the end of the 6 years, you'll have a car that you own. If you lease, at the end of 36 months, you have nothing. Most importantly, you do not have $3,500 in trade equity.

Mark.

PS You are kind of screwing yourself for your next purchase when the lease is over. Assuming you do not win the lottery, you are not going to have a $3,500 trade for your next vehicle. This trade is probably saving you $100 a month. Which means in 3 years you are not going to get the same car for the same payment.
  • seanwestseanwest Member Posts: 6
    Car Man,
    Could you tell me the current residual and money factors for the Mustang GT Deluxe Coupe w/automatic? 12k, 36mo.
    I know they usually are poor on this type of car.
    Thanks,
    Sean
    North east region:

First the Good news. A GT has a residule of 58%!!! for 36 mo/12kmiles/yr.

PLUS there is $995 rebate or "free auto trans".

Now that bad news. Money factor is 7%!

for comparison, the MF on a 39mo Fusion AWD is 1.25%!

Accordinly, the Mustang GT is not a very good lease.

Mark
    Hello Sean. You;re right, Ford's lease program for the Mustang is not very attractive right now. Here's the information that you're looking for. Ford Credit's current base lease rate and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2007 Ford Mustang GT Coupe with an automatic transmission with 12,000 miles per year are 6.5% and 57%, respectively. As you can see, Ford Credit publishes lease rates instead of money factors for the vehicles that it leases. You can convert its published lease rates into approximate money factor equivalents by dividing them by 2400.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • gtucker4gtucker4 Member Posts: 8
    Hey CarMan,

I'm looking at leasing/ballooning a Mustang V6 right now. I'm in Little Rock, AR, but I've got an address in South Carolina I would use to register the car, because they get an extra $995 in customer cash. I'm going to switch the tags over after registration is complete, so for now, I'll use 29118 as the zip to do the deal. I'm only looking to keep the vehicle for 24 months, until the 2010 model comes out. I'm currently balloon financing both mine and my wife's 2006 Honda Accords, due to the tax laws regarding leasing here in AR. I've already negociated the price of the new cars down to the point where the negative equity added would still make the total sale price of the new cars less than the payoffs of both Hondas, so I'm thinking I should be able to get a manageable payment, but I know that depends on rates and money factors. Another site lists the V6 coupe as having a 63% ALG residual for 24 months, and 52% for 36 months. Total price for the one I'm trading for my use will be $22,025 with all rebates factored in, as well as what I'm upside down in the Honda for. The payoff for 30 Apr 07 on the Honda is $22,090 and I have exactly 23 payments on it totalling $8446 until the balloon is due, which I have no intentions on paying. I'm wondering what my payments would be like on a 24 month balloon or lease, and I'm also curious about the 36 month term as well. The dealership kept asking me who I was financed through for my Hondas, guess they were trying to get an idea about my credit rating. AHFC all the way, and I didn't think the 5.14% is that bad, considering I didn't even have a job at the time, because I had just come back from overseas a few months prior to that. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
  • gforce11gforce11 Member Posts: 225
    Carman,
    I am contemplating a lease end of the month for a 07 GT. I was wondering if the MF and Residual have/will changed from April's 6.5%, 57%. Any ideas?

Thanks.
    Hey gtucker4. I do not personally keep tabs on manufacturers' balloon note programs, but I would be happy to give you an idea of what Ford's current lease program for this car is like. Ford's lease program for the Mustang varies by trim level. A base 2007 Mustang Coupe's current 24 month, 15,000 mile per year base lease rate and residual value are 7.25% and 62%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical 36 month lease are 6.5% and 51%. If you provide me with the full MSRP and selling price of the car that you are interested in, I will be happy to use the above lease programs to estimate what your monthly payment should be.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Here's the latest info, gforce11. Ford Credit's current base lease rate and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2007 Ford Mustang GT Coupe with 15,000 miles per year are 6.5% and 55%, respectively. Its 12,000 mile per year residual value is 2% higher.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Thanks Car_Man, I was wondering if I'd ever hear back from ya... :D The most expensive one I'm looking at is $24,420 after taking all rebates and negative equity into account. I don't plan on putting any money down unless I have to, so you can work the numbers with $0 down. Please let me know how each $1000 down would affect the monthly payment at 24 and 36 months, I'm just curious to know how things would change. Thanks again!
  • gforce11gforce11 Member Posts: 225
    Thanks Carman! So far, the Ford folks have not been jerking me around on the MF and the residual. However, I was wondering if anyone knew whether the rebates applies to the leases ($1995 or $1645). I was told that the $1000 cash back doesn't apply to leases. But the $645 (or $995) does. Anyone have any ideas whether this is true?
    No problem, gtucker4. Is $24,420 this car's MSRP or selling price? I need both to estimate what its lease payment should be.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    You're very welcome, gforce11. What you were told is correct. The $1,000 customer cash that Ford is providing on the 2007 Mustang is not available on leases of it through Ford Credit, but the $995 and $645 bonus cash is.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • toto88toto88 Member Posts: 7
    Car_man - I am stuck. I have been looking at 2007 Mustang Convertible with a V6, but after looking at the numbers from May it looks like leasing a GT might be about the same price. Are the rates (money factors and residuals) still the same in August?
    Hi toto88. Ford's lease program for the Mustang is definitely different now than it was back in May. Ford Credit's current base lease rate and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2007 Mustang Convertible V6 with 12,000 miles per year are 7.25% and 56%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of an '07 Mustang Convertible GT are 7.25% and 58%.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    Hi CarMan,

Been a while since I last checked in. Right now, I'm looking at a V6 deluxe coup with an MSRP of $22,300. Right now, Ford's got $3000 in rebates, plus $500 in College cash off. Also, on FordDirect.com, under incentives for 72118, they seem to list a discount of $705 for the SAB and Active Anti Theft together as the Safety discount. All the other discounts are Premium trim specific, but the Safety one just says V6 Mustang, so I assume it's for Deluxe as well. This is all for '07 models by the way, and it seems like they don't care about marking down the GT's anymore, because there are no more advertised discounts on the '07s. Anyway, most dealers here have been stating how they'll match the factory discount, which if I purchased the vehicle, would be a grand total of $7205 off sticker, not bad! I'm just curios about the dealer holdback on these cars, and what my payment should be if I decided to lease the car instead. I know I wouldn't get the $3000 in rebates, but I think you still get $1000 off? That, plus the difference between MSRP and Invoice, and also the dealer holdback, would be what you may want to work the lease numbers at, for 24 and 36 months, respectively. Thanks again as always, and sorry for info dumping. I'll try to post smaller, and more regularly from now on... :P
  • cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    Has any dealer actually offered to sell you one for $15,095 or is this just a calculation you've made?
    It's just a logical calculation based off of the current incentives, and what certain dealers have been advertising. I was just using the rebates for the dealer match, could have been more unrealistic and factored in them matching the college discount AND the saftety discount. Had similar negociations to this last year with a Mazdaspeed6, and actually got ready to sign, before the wacky lease complications here in AR came to pass. Also keep in mine, the car I'm number crunching on is basically a bare 5spd V6, except for the SAB, ABS/TC, Alarm, and IUP.
    1. Must car dealer ads newspapers are so full of fineprint BS that IMHO I would not even shop at a dealer that used price or payment advertising on specific models unless the dealer was just repeating national ads from Ford.

2. That airbag/alarm discount that you saw was a "factory discount" and is only offered on Job 1 builds its not necessarily on ever car out there, or even on the car that you saw. If the car does have this "factory discount" it is already included in the sticker price, so it really doesn't come into play.

3. I couldn't find a Mustang Dlx in my region with an MSRP of $22,300. However I did find one for $22,510. Options are Auto, Pwr Seat, Sd Air Bags, and ABS/TC.
    MSRP $22,510. Invoice is $21,273. Holdback is $653.
    Accordingly, a dealers net net on this car is $20,620.
    Rebates: There are $3,000 in rebates with your $500 college grad rebates. Assuming the dealer will sell you a car for net net, that brings me to $17620.

If you can find a dealer that will sell you a car BELOW his net net cost, then there is going to be a catch, or somethign the dealer isn't disclosing. Like that the car is not new.

In general, If you are considering a new car that has more than a few hundred miles on it you might want to run a Car Fax to deterimine that it is still a new not previously titled vehicle.

Mark.
    IMHO, the Mustang you should buy is a Premium with IUP, Pny Pkg, Sd Air Bags, Sirius, and ABS/TC.

I have 2 on my lot with the "performance package" discount and the MSRP is $23,770. Invoice is $22,399. Hd Bck is $691. Rebates are the same.

For the Extra $1100 you are getting the Pony Pkg, the Interior Upgrade Package and Sirius with the Shker 500.

Thats alot of stuff for not a not that much money.

At my dealer, we only order our V6 Mustangs as Premiums with Pny Pkg, IUP and Sirius. Some have side bags, some have leather etc but none are Dlxes and none do not have the IUP.

If you buy a deluxe, you'll also find that the depreciation is steeper as this is the "rental car" version.

Remember, the Pony Package adds the GT suspension to the V6. Ford doesn't really advertise this cause they don't want to scare the wussies away who are worried that the ride is harsher. However, you can easily look under the back bumper and the rear anti-sway bar is clearly visible on Pny Pkg cars and missing on the non Pny cars.

Also the base car has smaller wheels and crappy tires.

Mark.
    Hi Mark,

The one I'm looking at is a dlx with 5spd, IUP, ABS/TC, SAB, and the Anti-Theft system. The reason I like this, is because the Shaker radio is garbage, and I don't want to pay for something I'll replace anyway. Same goes for the wheels and tires, upgrade would make the Pony Package wheels a waste. This is going to be a project car, so I want to start with as few options as possible, but still want the safety features that SHOULD have come standard in the first place. If you check this link...

http://www86.forddirect.fordvehicles.com/Dispatch.jsp?processZipCode=&__action2=- &.CurrentState=IncentivesGrid&processModel=true&selectModel=2007+Mustang&zipCode- =72118&statetoken=

That job code restriction is not advertised, so you and I both know that if a customer pushes the issue, they'll most likely win. I'm just curious to see what the holdback would be on that car, and if Carman would be able to work a 24-36 month lease on one. On a side note, I think it's lame that AR dealers won't(not can't)balloon finance vehicles, even though Ford offers it as a finance option...
    I forgot that it had power driver's seat as well.

IUP, PDS, SAB, ABS/TC, AAT, 5spd.
    Oh, and the rebates in my region are $2000+$1000 swap cash+ $500 college rebate. That would put the price of that auto you told me about at $17,120.
  • jfgobraves24jfgobraves24 Member Posts: 2
    Can I get the residuals an money factor to lease an 08 mustang conv gt premium.
    36 months both 12k miles and 15k miles
    Info on car
    MSRP $35290
    Selling price $32752
    Tax 6%
    Thanks in advance for the help
    This discount was invoiced by the factory. It is not like a rebate or dealer cash that the dealer can claim.

If the car did not get the discount at invoicing you can never get it on that car.

As for a lease, you really can't mod the car, unless you plan to put everything back to stock at the end of the lease.

Mark.
    Hey Mark,

I'd have to disagree with your assesment of the discounts. A good example would be on the '07 GT. The automatic transmissions were being discounted to free, and still are right now. Some cars had the discount on the sticker, some didn't, but since Ford has advertised it, you get it. You just have to make sure and ask, because we all know most dealers won't tell you how to save money. I'll just mention this when we do the deal for my wife's car this week. That brings me to my next question for CarMan. Can you tell me what the prime and subprime rates are right now on the '07 Mustangs? My wife has bad credit, and I'm trying to have her build it up with this upcoming car loan. When we bought our '06 Accords, Honda was running APR specials to get rid of them. We didn't get the best rate, because her score brought our cumulative score down on the joint credit app, but we got 5.14 APR, and I didn't even have a job at the time because I had just settled down from moving back to the U.S. I guess what I'm asking is, what kind of rate could she expect at 48 and 60 months respectively, taking the low advertised rates into account with her low 500 credit score? I'd just like to know if they start from the low rate, and mark it up, the same way they would do with a regular rate, and go from there. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Hi jfgobraves24. Here's the info that you're looking for. Ford Credit's base lease rate and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2008 Ford Mustang Convertible GT with 15,000 miles per year are 6.5% and 59%, respectively. The residual value for an otherwise identical lease with only 12,000 miles per year would be 2% higher. Ford is currently providing $1,000 bonus cash on this car in most regions and an additional $500 lease cash on it in select areas.

Car_man
    Host
  • waterdrwaterdr Member Posts: 307
    Why would you lease a project car? That makes no sense.
  • geoff11381geoff11381 Member Posts: 1
    Does any one know these numbers or could help me out how to figure them out?
    I have gotten some preliminary #s from a dealer but they seem a bit high.

I am looking at a Mustang GT with MSRP $28465.
    The X-Plan price of this car is: ______________

I have Ford X-Plan. I also have a $1000 certificate from Ford.

I would like to know:
    36 month lease with $0 down at signing
    12k miles/yr : __________
    15k miles/yr : __________

36 month lease with taxes/fees down at signing (what are approx tax/fees $________)
    12k miles/yr : __________
    15k miles/yr : __________

60 month buy using X-plan + $1k certificate and incentive 3.9% financing __________
    60 month buy using X-plan + $1k certificate and incentive $1500 off __________

What is the residual on this car 36 months with 12k: __________, 15k: __________
    Another place I saw 61% and 59% respectively, is this correct?

Anyone who can help me would be greatly appreciated, I really hope to get this car into a range I can afford!!!!
    First, MUSTANG GT forget leaseing there is no incentivised program.

Second, visit www.fordpartner.com and have your company's Partner Code handy.

Mark
  • shebah87shebah87 Member Posts: 2
    I am trying to decide on two types of mustang coupes. One is a 2005 Ford Mustang coupe and the other is a 2008 Ford Mustang coupe. I need help finding out how to figure out the monthly payments on the vehicles and which Mustang is cost-effective. I am also trying figure with the monthly payments would be if there were extra things added to them. I am in need of help on this. This is my first time wanting to buy a car, and I need some advice.

Shebah
    :confuse:
  • shebah87shebah87 Member Posts: 2
    i want to know how to figure out the monthly payments on a 2008 ford mustang and a 2005 ford mustang for future reference. just in case they are needed down the road. can anyone help me with this problem? :confuse:
  • crestonavecrestonave Member Posts: 209
    I'm looking to lease a 2008 Ford Mustang V6 Premium convertible. I believe there's a $500 lease incentive going on right now in my area (Long Island New York). Can someone supply the money factor and residual for this car? Any other incentives available that I'm not aware of? Much appreciated!
    You're comparing apples and oranges. A 2005 is going to be cheaper than a 2008.
    Hi shebah87. I would be happy to help you estimate what the lease payment would be on the 2008 Mustang that you are interested in leasing. However, it will be next to impossible for me to do so without some additional information from you first, including exactly which Mustang model you want, what its MSRP and selling price are, how long you want to lease it for, and how many miles per year you need to be able to drive it. Let me know what these variables are and I will crunch some numbers for you.

Car_man
    Host
    Hello crestonave. Here is the information that you are looking for. You never mentioned how long you want to lease this car for or what mileage allowance you need, so for now I will assume that you are interested in a 36 month lease with 15,000 miles per year. Let me know if you want something different. Ford Credit's current base rate and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2008 Mustang V6 Premium Convertible with 15,000 miles per year are 5.25% and 52%, respectively. As you can see, Ford Credit publishes lease rates instead of money factors for the vehicles that it leases. You can convert its published lease rates into approximate money factor equivalents by dividing them by 2400. When you negotiate your lease on this car, make sure to take the $500 lease cash that is currently available on it into account.

Car_man
    Host
    I have 2008 Mustang coming off lease end of March 2010. It was a two year lease, car is in nice shape, and I'm under mileage. I'm considering buying the car. I stopped to speak with a dealer today who told me that there is no flex in the buy out price - whatever is in the lease is what they'll sell the car for, and that there's no way they'll waive any of the three remaining payments on the car either. Anyone know if this is true? Should I check with another dealer? Thanks!
    Hi crestonave. Unfortunately, more often than not consumers are unable to negotiate the end-of-term purchase prices of their leased vehicles. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't try to do so. I wouldn't bother involving any dealers when trying to negotiate the price of your car, they usually don't have any say in its price. Instead, place a call directly to Ford Credit and speak to them. If your initial contact there is not willing to lower your vehicle's purchase price, you may have better luck if you work your way up the ladder to a manager. Again, there is a good chance that they will not lower your vehicle's price, more often than not they won't, but you don't have anything to lose by asking.

Car_man
    Host
  • billybobjonesbillybobjones Member Posts: 4
    edited April 2010
    I'm interested in a 2011 Mustang GT and a local dealer offered to order one at $500 over invoice. I'm still shopping, but that sounds like a good price.

For business purposes, I'd like to lease. What should I expect for APR/money factor? Any incentives?

3 or 4 years, 12,000 miles/year.

Thanks.
    I recently inquired as to a lease on a 2010 Mustang - my 2008 is coming off lease in a couple of months - and more than one dealer told me that there were no leasing programs available on the Mustang. I would imagine that there wouldn't be any available on a 2011 either. Good luck.
    Hi billybobjones. Ford is not currently providing lease support on the 2011 Mustang. That means that you definitely do not want to lease one right now. Doing so would be very expensive. You would be better off financing one through Ford Credit at 0% for 3 years, 3.9% for 4 years, or 4.9% for 5 years.

Car_man
    Host
    The tax man has very different rules for leasing versus buying.

I found a third-party leasing company that says I can do a lease for between 3% and 5%.

Thanks.
    That's great news, billybobjones. I guess some independent bank out there is stepping up to the plate to fill in the void that Ford has left on this model. Thanks for the info and good luck in your negotiations.

Just be careful to evaluate the excess wear and tear / excess mileage charges and other fees that the bank charges carefully before signing anything. Independent banks don't have the vested interest in keeping you as a happy and hopefully loyal customer that manufacturers' captive finance companies do.

Car_man
    Host
  • craigfordsalescraigfordsales Member Posts: 31
    Hello everyone! Anyone from the Metro Detroit area looking for pricing and other information on the all new 2011 Mustang - I am happy to help!! Craig
  • runnernicrunnernic Member Posts: 15
    hey everyone.... i am interested in leasing the 2011 ford mustang GT premium.... i need 12,000 miles a year adn 36 months... can anyone give me an idea of how much the lease payments would be monthly with no cap cost reduction thank u!
    Hi runnernic. Ford is not currently providing any lease support on the 2011 or 2010 Mustang. As a result, if you were to lease one through Ford Credit right now, you would have to use its standard lease program...which is pretty bad.

If you want to lease, the Mustang probably isn't for you. If I was in the market for one right now, I personally would finance a 2010 Mustang GT through Ford Credit at 0% for 5 to 6 years (the exact term varies by region). You can't beat that rate.

Car_man
    Host
    Local dealer quoted me a money factor of 10.15 which Ford Credit tells me is approximately 10.15%.

Yet they offer 2.9% APR on a purchase. Makes no sense. They could lowball the residual if they were really concerned about downstream liability.