Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saturn Vue Real World MPG

jclnickjclnick Posts: 7
My Vue is nearly 1 year old. Overall, it's fine. There are a couple of things that are weird, like iron screws that rust and wind noise on the passenger side.

I'm lucky to get 22 MPG! Why the window sticker showed a range from 23 to 29 escapes me. I'm no speed demon, but I'm not a slug either. I recently took two trips to a neighboring state and it was freeway all the way. What gives with the 22 MPG?? It seems the EPA "Estimated Fuel Economy" is completely misrepresented.

Anyone else have this issue?

Comments

• jer78jer78 Posts: 3
    I have the exact same model, but I average from 24 MPG city and 28 MPG highway. I use mid grade level fuel, that seems to help. My friend is a mechanic and said that shouldn't make any difference...but hey, I am getting better gas mileage now. I also put a fuel system cleaner(88 cents @ Wal-mart) every 3000, and occasionally an octane booster (97 cents @ Wal-mart). Hope this helps. Where are the screws rusting at? As far as the wind noise, if you still have warranty, you might want to take it into the dealership, your wind stripping and sealers may be loose or have a leak.
  • jclnickjclnick Posts: 7
    Hi
    Thanks for the reply. I tend to run 87 octane. I'll give the mid-grade a try. I do also run the occasional fuel system cleaner in. Guess I'll try octane booster also! The screws are on the mud flaps. I fail to understand why any car manufacturer would use any material that would rust. I was told by Saturn that they are iron screws. A couple had fallen out and they were replaced. I'll take my vehicle in and have the wind noise looked at. I can't believe you get 24 to 28 MPG!! Another friend suggested using a K & N air filter. His mileage increased by 2 MPG by doing that and nothing else.

Thanks for your reply. :-)

Loriann
  • While I don't have a VUE (maybe in two years my wife will) I found that putting a K&N filter increased mileage in both our 2001 L200 and LW300 about 1.5 to 2 mpg in combined driving.
    Thanks for the info on the K&N. As soon as I get over the wicked cold from hell, I'm buying one!
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,914
    You may be interested in the K&N Air Filters, bolt-on power? discussion too.

Steve, Host
  • uga91uga91 Metro AtlantaPosts: 1,065
    I also have a 2005 4 cylinder 5 speed VUE and I also get 22-23 mpg in town. The window sticker estimates are usually high, anyway. There was a big deal in the news about how the government is changing the way they rate mpg because the current way is not realistic at all. The hybrids are expected to lose the biggest chunk of their mileage estimates. Compared to the 14 mpg my F-150 SuperCrew gets, I'm very pleased with 22-23 in my VUE!
    Hi Steve:
    Yeah, I guess you're faring far better with the Vue vs. the F150! I'm just glad I don't have to pay CA prices anymore. The hybrids will surely take a beating with the ratings MPG, but then again, it should have been an honest estimate anyhow! Can't trust the G-Men!
  • Since GM has performed a 3000 mile real world driving test on the VUE Hybrid, I'm more inclined to buy it. The EPA runs a car on a conveyer style system. There is no way you can get real information that way. I saw a special report recently the even the Prius's numbers were false positive, losing about 30 to 40% of the estimates from EPA's mpg. GM said the VUE averaged around 31.9 mpg in their real world test. I'm all about that! :shades:
  • pisulinopisulino Posts: 78
    I was able to put 50MPG with my last tank......

I had to push it for 30 miles and got the other 20 when the engine was still running !

;)
  • brlatmbrlatm Posts: 1
    I bought a 2006 Vue 4cyl 5 speed Fwd in Feb. I now have 9000 miles on it and I get 22.3 mpg. I took it back to the dealership and they ran a diagnostic on it and said that I was wrong that it gets 30 mpg. They have then accused me of not doing math right, buying bad gas, too much wind, bad driver habits, etc... I travel 140 miles roundtrip to work and it is all Interstate driving with no traffic. I set the cruise control at 75 and sit back. This is my 3rd Saturn and the first time that I have ever had a problem. Anyone else have a similar problem???
  • waiwai Posts: 327
    Your highway speed of 75 miles ate more gas than at 60 miles. In my case my average speed of 80 miles give me only 20.5 miles/Gallon but is a 2.8L V6 engine.
  • Purchased V6 Vue in January. Wish we never had. Paid 28,000 but the vehicle is cheaply made and has very little storage. Sticker said 20/28 (avg 17-23/23-33). Getting 14.4 / 22.3 Just returned from dealer who said nothing wrong and the numbers on sticker are approximate. Also noticed tailpipe is getting rusty after 3 months (car has the whole chrome package so why not chrome the one tailpipe). And when you open the 2 back windows you get a wind tunnel noise and can't hear the radio. Know this is supposed to be about MPG so thanks for letting me vent about crappy Saturn. My previous wonderful 1994 Chrysler V6 250hp got 29mpg at 75mph (too bad it had an engine fire).
  • ocmike3ocmike3 Posts: 232
    I just filled my first full tank. I have the FWD V6 w/auto and I got 21+mpg in mixed driving (mostly city/side roads). I am pretty happy with that and the Vue isn't anywhere close to being broken in.
    Yeah, I'm with you. I'm the original poster regarding gas mileage. I fail to understand why the Feds allow misrepresentation of gas mileage info- particularly with the price of gas climbing. I agree with you about your Vue, overall. I find it cheaply made also and will not be buying another. I'm told that using mid-grade gas along with a K&N filter will show improvement. That's my next step. I leased this sucker for 3 years with 2 to go. On the upside- I can stand my bicycle up on it's fork mounted bike rack without trouble and it hasn't broken down on me. I'm totally against using iron screws for mudflaps and other parts of the car because they RUST! I also notice the rust underneath the back part of the vehicle.. gast tank area I suppose. Ahh well, an affordable vehicle with some design issues I guess. It serves me well, but I won't re-buy unless huge changes are made!
  • 68mpolo68mpolo Posts: 21
    i have the V6 FWD...i get at best 25 mpg highway and around 18-20 mpg town. I was pretty upset at first but I figured EPA overestimates anyway...plus nowadays higher mpg's helps sell cars. Haven't changed my filter yet but I will soon and then I'll repost.
    I totally agree with some of you with regards to this SUV's shortcomings. I can honestly say that I will not buy another Saturn. On a positive note though, I like the direction the company's going with it's future model.
    A K&N filter is a waste of time and money. A complete set up will run you about $300 and you will see about 5 extra horsepower and gain a mile or two in mileage. Running higher grade fuel is a waste as any gain in mpg is negated by the extra money you spend on gas.

If any of you were serious about gas mileage, you would not have bought the VUE with the V6 engine--you would have bought one with the 4 cylinder. Or, you would have bought an economy car. But, since you post you do 75 mph on the highway, you announce you crave speed over conservation.

To brltam, if you get 22 mpg on the road, something is wrong. I get 21-22 mpg in the city in my 2005 4 cylinder 5 speed VUE.

To jclnick, huge changes are on the way. The next VUE will be smaller and a lot different from the current VUE. This is due to the larger Outlook that is on the way.
  • sparky20sparky20 Posts: 8
    I totally disagree with your sentiment.

I believe it is foolish not to buy the honda V6. First it is a far superior engine and transmission than the 4 cyl. Plus, I get 28 mpg hwy and 20 straight city. Mixed driving nets about 25 mpg. About the same mpg as the 4 cyl. Plus, I get way more power for towing and a much more fun vehicle.

Anybody, who doesn't spend the extra $1,500 to get the Honda engine and transmission, is truly missing out on the Vue experience. What a vehicle the Vue V6 is.
    You may be right. However, that is not what this thread is about. This thread is about "Why is VUE mileage so terrible? I got one with a V6 and I run 75 mph and my mileage is terrible. I will never buy another Saturn again as long as they make such horrible mileage vehicles." I am reminding them that they did not buy economy cars and they do run them economically.
  • sparky20sparky20 Posts: 8
    Just figured out my long term mileage on my V6 VUE. The mileage came in at just above 25 mpg, with 50% city and 50% hwy. I am absolutely elated with this gas mileage.

Why would anyone not by the V6 is beyond me. What a great performing vehicle, great mpg, with absolutely incredible performance for an SUV.
  • ocmike3ocmike3 Posts: 232
    hmmmm.... I thought the topic was "Saturn Vue: MPG-Real World Numbers" I didn't quite translate to your version.
    My third tank was 20.8mpg which was mostly city, "Spirited" driving, I thought was pretty good. I'd be lucky to get 14-15mopg driving like in my GXP or the Canyon I traded for the Vue.
    I think the V6 is fun - it is a totally different driving experience than the 4 cyl. I tried.