Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Subaru Impreza Owners - Give Us Your Report!

Comments

• Nope! As a Minnesotan who has has 2 Jeep Wranglers, 1 jeep Grand Cherokee, 1 Pathfinder... the Impreza is the best in the snow of any vehicle I have owned! Even WITH the stock Potenzas. If you don't need to go off road, the Subaru is the best thing out there in the snow.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,680
    No, it will work okay with the stock tires. But, if you want phenomenal performance, put winter tires (Nokians, Blizzaks... good studless winter tires) on it. If you live in an area with a lot of ice (like mine, where we drive on ice for six months), winter tires make a huge difference. There are places the car will not like (or simply will not) to go with the stock tires, but those places are very difficult to find with winter tires. ;)

For occasional winter conditions, dedicated winter tires are difficult to justify.

That said, I have never owned a Subaru with winter tires. I always had all-season (four different types, including the Potenzas) tires and did just fine with them. However, the Potenzas were the worst of the bunch. The best? Goodyear Assurance Tripletred. Those tires were fantastic.
    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
  • janice96janice96 Posts: 19
    No you don't. I use the Potenza tires in winter. If you live in a state that puts gravel out for traction in winter as I do, a winter tread throws the gravel and will chip your paint off the bottom part of front doors and rear panel.In summer I have a set of Legacy GT wheels that has Cooper Zeon 2XS on them.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 31,128
    Mine suck... Do I need snow tires? No.. I grew up driving rear-wheel drive cars with crappy tires...anything better is just a bonus. Do I wish I had snow tires? YOU BET!

Really, it's criminal to put these crappy tires on an AWD car.. and, to top it off, they are lousy in the rain, as well.. It takes all the fun out of it.. :(

Okay... rant over..

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

applause

I need to get to where I can say so much with so little. Well done. :D
    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    With all-seasons my 98 Forester was very good in the snow.

With snow tires, mounted briefly, it was virtually unstoppable.

Caveat - snow tires were actually LESS FUN because it was much harder to begin a slide.

Intentionally, of course.
  • aaykayaaykay Posts: 539
    =====================

I find it intriguing that reports of braking for the 2.5i with rear drums range around 138 feet from 60-0, yet the one report I can find of a 2.5i Premium (tested by Edmunds in fact) with rear discs lists a distance of 122 feet. Can the discs really make that much difference? If so, it would affirm my previous vow not to ever buy another new car with rear drum brakes.

=====================

There are 2 primary factors that aid braking performance:

a) Disc vs Drum brakes: Essentially the efficiency of brakes are dpendent on transferring the frictional energy (during the braking process), into heat energy and dissipating that heat into the atmosphere. The quicker the brakes can dissipate that heat, the longer it retains braking effectiveness. If the heat dissipation capability of the brakes is not very efficient, over time (or during repeated brakings) the heat builds up and you lose braking effectiveness. Disc brakes and well designed drum brakes (especially when the drums are in the less stressed rear of the car) will stop the car, roughly equally, during the first stop. But after that, the Discs (due to their design) are MUCH better at dissipating that heat from braking, into the atmosphere and the follow-on brakings are much better with disc brakes. So if I have a choice, I will go with disc brakes all around.

b) Tires: These are an often ignored part of the braking process. A tire with very little grip, will of course not brake as well as tires that can grip better. Tires work hand-in-hand with the brakes in stopping the car. Many a time, dramatic braking improvements can be seen when the OEM tires are replaced with grippier tires (with a proportional hit on MPG :shades: ).
  • Hi everyone. I just bought my first Subaru and I'm loving it. I went in thinking it was going to be the 2010 Forester but, after test driving it, I wasn't convinced. So, I went with choice number two the Impreza Outback Sport. This is a great vehicle and really handles well. Its a sharp looking car and I look forward to enjoying it for many years to come.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,695
    So I'm curious - what made you reject the Forester and go with the OBS (Outback Sport)? I knew going in I wanted the smaller car and never wavered, but was there one major turn-off for you with the Forester or was it just lots of little things?

I'm loving my OBS so far. It's the perfect road trip car for two or three people, spacewise and powerwise. It's so much fun to drive and no matter how you throw it around it just seems to go right on sticking to the pavement like glue. :-)

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• Well, when I had narrowed my search down to getting a Subaru, I thought since I had a truck prior that I would want something where I sat higher up. However, your last point nailed it. The OBS seemed to hug the road and just felt like it handled better. Along with that it was around 2k less, I got more with the OBS than what I could get with the Forester. I got the premium all weather package in the OBS. I test drove a Premium Forester and I don't think my mind would have been changed even if it was a Limited. I was just really impressed with how the OBS handled. I think you have to go to a Limited Forester to get fog lights as well. One last thing...can you tell me where to get seat covers for my OBS that don't break the bank? Thanks!
  • I just wanted to clarify a point I made. I got more with the price I paid in the OBS than I could have gotten with the Forester in my price range.
  • saedavesaedave Chicago, ILPosts: 685
    One last thing...can you tell me where to get seat covers for my OBS that don't break the bank?

Are there not side air bags in the seats? Check your owner's manual. Covering up air bags could result in disaster.
    We walked by a blue one yesterday and my wife really liked it. She was disappointed that they don't sell a "Limited" model loaded up with leather (not a WRX, she doesn't want a turbo).

We talked about it a bit and she thinks the Forester is more approriately sized for her needs, but it was the styling that drew her to the sedan, interestingly.
    The days of bug eyes and odd bulges are definitely over for Impreza, that's for sure. I do think it's a little silly that they have gone to calling the 5-door a wagon instead of a hatchback, as it looks more like a hatchback now, with the more raked rear glass, than it did before.

While it was in large part the interior improvements that motivated me to buy my second-ever OBS this year, the much-improved exterior styling had something to do with it too. :-)

One improvement I would like to see: all the other Subaru models with this powertrain are PZEV-rated, but Subaru doesn't go the distance to achieve the same rating with the Impreza. They ought to get that done. In the Impreza it is only LEV-rated? (or average to above-average emissions, in other words)

And the PZEV is not only cleaner, but also 5hp more powerful.
  • I am a first time Subaru owner and really like the car so far….can’t wait to see how it does this winter. I have a regular Impreza..not WRX or GT model. It has about 6,500 Miles on it.

I am having some concerns over a vibration that is coming, I think, from the engine. At happens between 1500 and 2000 RPM. It mostly happens after I try to accelerate after driving at about 35 mph for a short while but has happened at higher speeds. It acts as if it should be downshifting from 3rd or 4th but seems stuck and I get a real nasty vibrating noise. It’s like up-shifting a standard car too soon or not downshifting for more power. From inside the car, it sounds like I have one of those mufflers attatchments that kids put on their cars to make them sound like a V8. Eventually the car will go strait to passing gear at about 40 or so.

I am going to call the dealer and have them look at it.

In the meantime, has anyone else experienced anything like this? I was really surprised by how loud it can be at times since Subaru made changes to reduce engine vibration.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
    I am liking the hill holder feature more and more all the time, and it works a lot more smoothly than the one the old Subes from the 80s had. I know, because I had one! Those were the days of broken clutch chains - a far cry from today.

I am not a fan in general of added junk to do what the driver should be able to do themself, but this one is really a convenience and never hangs me up.

I am more in love with my new OBS now than 6 months ago when I bought it. :-) For me, that's really saying something, as I am always on the lookout for my next new car.

I would be curious to know if anyone out there has taken a non-WRX Impreza, and added the rear sway from the WRX. If so, did you need to change out any of the rest of the suspension or the front sway, and did the dealer make a fuss about it for any reason?

Oh, and marti875: nope, no weird vibrations in mine like the ones you describe. But mine is not an automatic, and it sounds like yours should be downshifting and isn't?

• Thanks, that is what I was thinking also. I drove it in sport mode over the weekend and I had no problems.
    And how is your mileage doing? I pulled 28.9 driving my new '10 Forester (MT) home from Seattle. Best tank was 30.66; I was hoping for better, but was not driving to maximize fuel economy (covered the 2150 miles home in 49 hours) and the car is still new.

27.5 is my latest single tank reading - filled up today. After my disappointing results recently, I decided what the hey, I would stop focusing so much on saving gas and start having more fun with the car (!!), and I was surprised to find that the fuel economy reading dropped very little.

For the first 5000 miles I have averaged 28 mpg right on the nose.

'09 OBS 5-speed.

Oops! Wrong thread; consider this one answered! :blush:
  • Hey Marti875,

Yes! I am leasing a 5-door Impreza that I got only 3 months ago and it also rattles going into 3rd gear. Most of the time this happens while going up hill or accelerating on an on-ramp. It's as if the car shifts too soon into 3rd and the car makes a low rattle and there is no power. If I give it more gas it'll downshift and be fine.

My old car was a stick and it sounds and feels just like it did when I would be in too high of a gear.

Any way to fix this problem? I may take it back to the dealership to see what they say.

Oh, another problem I have is that the interior rattles in different spots when I go over bumps. Like the driver door handle and left pillar by the windshield. It's really annoying. I'm starting to think Subarus are low quality (this is my first).

If anyone has any advice....thanks.
    I have no rattles or squeaks in my OBS (now 6 months old). If I did, I would head to the dealer and ask them to fix them.

• Have the same, or similar, problem with my 2008 Impreza 2.5i auto transmission. After it has moved into 3rd or 4th gear, really have to gas it to get it to downshift - and until it gets around to downshifting, there's a lot of vibration - and engine pinging. I've had the transmission "relearned" twice at the dealership - with no luck. I think it must be a design problem with these models - the shifting is unpredictable. I've had a bit of luck with tapping the accelerator to get it to downshift when I need power - but it's really annoying to have to do this. If anyone has any luck getting this fixed - please post the specifics here, I'd like to hear more.
  • Hi, I have exactly the same problem. A vibration sound when accelerating up a slight incline at around 40mph. Sounds like it's it too low a gear and needs to shift up quicker. Also does it when on on-ramps joining highways. Was really quite loud and was doing it a lot. Took it to dealer who replicated the problem. The mechanic couldn't find anything wrong and then took the loaner car out, which made the same noise. So they then said it was 'normal' to make this noise as the loaner car was doing it as well. Think the mechanic reset the memory and it does make it less now, but I think it's coming back more. This was 8 weeks ago. Had the car 6 months now. It's a 2009 Impreza automatic.
    I traded in a 2003 Impreza outback sport that also made the same noise, very loudly. It didn't start to make this noise until a few years old though, and I didn't expect the brand new car to start having problems.
    Did you take it to the dealer - What did your dealer say?
  • Yes, I took it to the dealer this morning. I had recorded the sound on a hand recorder, which we listened to before the drive. I took the tech for a drive and reproduced the sound at about 1500 rpm and around 40 mph. He did something to a heat shield, which he said was touching an exhaust pipe where it shouldn’t. He also said there was something in the Subaru system about the air box causing noises so he worked on it too. It didn’t make the noise on the way from the dealer to work this morning. We’ll see how it does over the next week. They said to bring to bring it back if it's still making the noise and they will keep it and give me a loaner. I don't have the fail codes with me that the tech entered into the Subaru system with me. If you need them, I can post them.
  • The fail code that the Tech entered was EYA85 and a note that the exhaust heat sheilds were readjusted. It was considerably quieter this morning on the way to work. It still has a bit of a low vibration/growl if I coast into a low grade and put a load on the engine. So the shifting is not what I would want...it should downshift sooner...but the vibration is much lower. I am guessing that the only true fix is for Subaru to put a 5 or 6 speed auto in the car instead of the 4 speed auto. I am going to unplug the battery, which I think should reset the CPU. I think that is what the Techs are doing when they say that they relearned the computer. My tech had never heard of it.
    has come at 6 months/5000 miles: the other night the cruise wouldn't set. The dash light was coming on as if it was setting but the speed just kept dropping when I let off the gas. Sigh. I hope this doesn't become a chronic problem with this car, as I use cruise a lot.

Turning the whole system off, waiting, then turning it back on cured the problem that time. Hopefully it was a one-time glitch.

Keep us posted.

That is odd though. Noone else has reported an issue like that on the current Impreza/WRX/OBS/Forester platform.

No other electrical symptoms at all? Does the battery struggle to start the car?
    Nope, the battery does not struggle at all! ;-)

No repeats since then, it has worked just right every other time I have turned it on.

• oh hi everybody. I had forgotten to check back at this forum about the problems with my Impreza. Well part of me is glad that I'm not the only one having this problem. For a moment I thought maybe I was being a little too picky about the car. But since many people are having the same problem it sounds like a design flaw. I'm taking my car to the dealership tomorrow to get it checked out. My fear is that they will say this is "normal," which they might. The other problems I'm having is that there are rattles coming from the driver side door, driver side pillar and various places along the front dash board when I go over any sort of bump. I may be being too picky about that but I definitely can stop the rattling if I hold the plastic with my hand. It's really annoying. Anyone else have THIS problem too?
    Interior rattles are pretty typical these past few years. I would take it in to have the rattles addressed as they will only get worse.