Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Dakota General Operating Questions

followed all the directions in manual to disable horn honk when locking doors with key fob ...BUT doesnt do it??? its a 06 C.C...Help???.Poppa

Comments

• I love my 97 dodge dakota, and I want to keep it as long as I can. However lately it's been giving me TONS of problems.

Recently however I have a couple of problems I need to fix. One is due to the cold weather and in the morning it will start fine, however as soon as I kick it into drive it just turns off.

The second problem is I was driving it yesterday, and when I get out of the car I see some white smoke/steam coming from the radiator.

I'm not big into cars and don't know much about them so dont kill me for posting these questions, I'm sure I could have posted this on any car forum but I figures I'd do it on a forum where people know the car I am talking about.

My best guess is I need an oil change and maybe need some new coolant? Please help me out with these questions, this car has been driving me nuts with problems!
  • KCRam@EdmundsKCRam@Edmunds Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,495
    You may have to have the dealer do that. This is also an issue on 07 Rams.

kcram - Pickups Host

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Moderator

• aggravating when your tring to be quiet, for the neighbors at 2AM
  • I've disabled it on my 2005 Dakota, which is essentially the same as the '06. I'll go back and play with mine, to see if I have any pointers.
  • Yeah, I was able to stop the honk on alarming on my 05" Dak...But for some reason it wont do it on My 06"...Thanks ...Poppa
  • dustykdustyk Posts: 2,931
    The stalling problem could be caused by a miriad of items, including those related to routine maintenance, such as air filter, spark plugs, spark plug wires, and PCV valve. For that year of vehicle it is very likely to experience a vacuum leak from deteriorated rubber hoses. Or its possible that the throttlebody needs to be cleaned.

If you can provide more information perhaps I can help.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • trk37trk37 Posts: 3
    Looking for ideas, the problem is eratic it will run fine for a few days and then start to back fire or run like a carborated veh with a closed choke. To get through the moment I put it in nutrial and give it a gas and it will spit through it and run fine and do it again after another mile or so. This has been going on for about a year. I had PCM replaced , wires cap , rotor , plugs, ignition coil,throttle position sensor,and 2 other sensors on throttle body , oxygen sensors, catalytic converter. The veh has 93,000 miles when its having a good day its got pep runs great . Any ideas dont have to much confidence in dodge boys anymore its been to them 3 times .
    Need more information: year, engine, transmission, mileage, some history of repairs and maintenance.

Regards,
    Dusty
    Hello thanks for your time. 97 Dodge Dakota SLT, 6 cyl 3.9 auto trans ,93000 miles. Got veh used from Dodge in 2002 with 43000 miles .
    I do 10,000 miles per year regular maint.History of repairs started with the current problem when I drove into Dodge with curent problem spitting , backfire I was told catalictic converter was clogged i told them to run diagnostic test anyway, told it was fine. @ 2 weeks later same problem I was told PCM was bad , it ran good for about a month same problem , I replaced the parts from first post .Its eratic cant put my finger on it.
    Thanks trk37
  • No problem disabling the honk on my '05. Just followed the instructions in the owners manual.

Ignition System - Cross Fire/Ignition Wire

Problem solved had to reroute ignition coil wire and put conduit on coil and spark plug wires. I found it in a Service Bulliten on Edmunds for 97 Dakota. Basicly the ignition coil wire cant be with-in 1 inch of the spark plug wires . Maybe the Dodge Boys should use Edmunds.Com.
  • gtownguygtownguy Posts: 73
    Hi Guys, I have a 01 QC 4x4 4.7l auto, I recently hit 80k miles and had to replace the drivers side front wheel bearing. Other than that, just regular maintainence. issues, and small problems (knock on wood). My question is, and I would like responses from people with actual experience, not heard of, or how to, with other vehicles etc., what issues should I expect if I want to keep this vehicle for another 6+ years and another 100+k miles. Another words drive it into the ground as it is a second vehicle. Are there any common issues I should prepare for? Does this engine have a certain lifespan in miles? (previously I had a truck that did), Is the tranmission only good for certain miles? Axles? I know of many Tacomas that go 100-300k miles with just maintainence. stuff so long as the bodies are kept up.
    I do know that with some vehicles you are better off getting rid of them as inherent problems make them not cost efficient.
    Thanks for any info.

Tom.
    Some of the more common long term potential issues for '01 with high mileage are as follows:

*Heater core
    *AC Condenser
    *Clocksprings
    *Lower & Upper Ball Joints
    *Throttle Position Sensor
    *Distance Sensor
    *Differential noise & failure (AAM axles)
    *Shift problems caused by poor electrical connections at the transmission (42RE, 46RE)
    *Intake manifold gasket (3.9 Magnum motor only)

Both the 3.9 and 4.7 engines are bulletproof. If you have a 4.7 engine the automatic is the 545RFE. This transmission is very tough and reliable and among the best on the market. Chances are you'll have trouble with the transfer first.

Unlike the Tacomas of the same vintage, Dakotas metal and anti-corrosion protection is superior.

Of course maintenance quality means a lot when determining long term reliablility.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • Hey yall I got a question. Any one know the difference between a Sport and not? I have an 02 Dak Sport with the magnum 6 and 4x4. Is it body or suspension or both? Thanks to all who reply.
  • ssteveksstevek Posts: 45
    Anyone know how to remove the blades on a '95 Dakota? It doesn't seem to be like every other vehicle I've done, the plastic piece connected to the metal arm seems like it's on permanently.
  • ktownjeepktownjeep Posts: 1
    Is there anywhere online where you can download a free manual.
    I have an 88 Dodge Dakota.
    If my memory serves me correctly, the 2003 Sport had larger tires and wider, styled wheels, heavier rated suspension, and the 9 1/4 rear axle. There were some cosmetic differences but that varies by year. I have a Sport Plus. There are no tape graphics on the sides as in previous years and no where on the vehicle does it say "Sport."

There may have been other equipment differences as well.

Regards,
    Dusty
    Typical of Dodge trucks, there is likely a bolt holding the arm on to the wiper pivot shaft. Look closely at the cover that goes over the wiper arm at the pivot end. My guess is that it needs to be removed.

Regards,
    Dusty