Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Subaru Forester (up to 2005)

Comments

• Options
    canadatwocanadatwo Member Posts: 198
    Was that the AWD version?

Doesn't it only have 122HP or something?
  • Options
    hurler4hurler4 Member Posts: 104
    I test drove the Matrix XR 2WD with the 130-hp engine. I can only imagine how weak the AWD version is, since it's heavier, has 8 less hp, and doesn't have a stick shift.
    It's too bad, because I really LIKE the Matrix. But the Forester and the Mazda Protege5 are more fun to drive.
  • Options
    joseph50joseph50 Member Posts: 235
    A day without any Forester posts is like a day without sunshine.
  • Options
    rsheldon1rsheldon1 Member Posts: 9
    The dealer had the car just a few hours prior to calling me to inform me of their findings. I really don't know how they identified the problem other than when I started the Forester up the mechanic listened for a few minutes and then he indicated he thought it was the timing belt tensioner. They had to order the parts so I have to take it back sometime next week and they indicated it was about a 3 hour repair. I certainly think that this mechanic has seen this type of situation before so that is why he indicated the tensioner. If it is not the solution then they can try again but honestly I hope this is the problem as I am not too excited about somebody putting in a new short block. Sounds good but what if that mechanic is having a bad day then what happens later. At least the factory motor was manufactured under more controlled conditions and processes.
  • Options
    lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    A day without Forester posts means juice is away.

Ed
  • Options
    p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Ed- If Juice had a nickel for every one of his Forester posts, he'd probably have enough to buy a Forester and a WRX!

-Frank P.
  • Options
    storytellerstoryteller Member Posts: 476
    So I'm not the only one who is spooked by the emtpy echo here in the Forester site. I've been reduced to reading posts juice put up two years ago. I 'spose we could create a new folder, "The Best of Juice," but the fact the posts were old would make it feel like watching tapes of the 1988 Super Bowl.
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Here's a link (with specs) on the Japanese-spec models—and yes there is a turbo model.

Bob

http://www.veh-tech.net/
  • Options
    armac13armac13 Member Posts: 1,129
    night. Welcome back Juice.

Ross
  • Options
    kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Thanks to Bob, our faithful SOJ scout, there is updated content on the JDM Forester:

http://www.subaru.co.jp/forester/fascination/index.html

I downloaded the spec sheet and noticed a couple things:

- Three trims: XT (2.0 Turbo), X20 and X (2.0)

- Only the XT gets 16" rims

- VDC is an option on the XT as well as HID lights

- Rear LSD standard on all models

- Dual range 5MT only on X20 and X

- The X looks like a total stripper model that's built only to order

- XT gets EBD

- DVD Navigation system optional on XT and X20

Ken

• Options
    subaru_teamsubaru_team Member Posts: 1,676
    and he didn't go to the Forester board first?

Patti
  • Options
    ckirk4ckirk4 Member Posts: 11
    Wanting to purchase a new SUV by November of 2002. Have already begin the process of researching specifications and past history on the Escape, Tribute, CR-V, RAV-4, and Forester. My impressions are as follows:
    1) Honda CRV, EX seems dependable, roomy, and not as expensive as some of the competitors. However, look does not excite me.
    2) Tribute and Escape have a very appealing look and seem to perform well on the highway but reliability seems to be an important issue for one to contemplate.
    3) RAV-4 is "cute" and looks like it would be fun to drive. However, no side airbags and small engine for an AT.
    4) Subaru Forester has excellent safety rating but somewhat bland in appearance. Also, I have been informed by a co-worker that parts are hard to secure.

Does anyone have information on the 2003 Forester and if so, would it be worth waiting for?
    Also, does anyone have any information on how the 1997-2002 Foresters perform in snow as compared to the others mentioned? My residence if slightly off the main highway and I traverse a steep asphalted hill which may be snow covered.
  • Options
    Patti: maybe juice is looking past the Forester now? ;-)

ckirk4: Go over to Future Models forum as well as scrolling up in this one. The 2003 Forester was introduced to the press on February 6 and has been the subject of much discussion here.

I cannot compare the other models you describe but I can say that my 2000 Forester does very well in snow, even with the OEM tires which are so-so. Dedicated snow tires would make it even better as many here who live in snowier climes than I (I'm in eastern PA) will attest.

Ed
  • Options
    storytellerstoryteller Member Posts: 476
    I've been researching just this kind of purchase for several months. FWIW I've decided that the new CR-V and new Forester are the class of the field . . . by quite a margin. Both have just been redesigned. I like the looks of both of the updates, but that's a personal thing and you might not agree. You should test drive both before buying.
  • Options
    So where did this myth start? I see it mentioned at least a couple times a year and the source is always a 3rd party (co-worker or friend-of-a-friend said...). To the best of my knowledge, Subaru parts are no harder to obtain than any other comparable volume manufacturer. By that I mean I would expect Ford parts (for instance) to be more plentiful but then there are far more Fords on the road (not to mention they break so much more often). However, were I to need a Subaru part (and haven't yet), I'd expect the part to either be in-stock or available in a couple of business days via SOA's parts distribution system.

-Frank P.
  • Options
    kate5000kate5000 Member Posts: 1,271
    usually it's not a problem, especially if you go through the dealer. There are also mail-order discount retailers, if you want to get your own parts.

I'm on my 3rd soob (since 1992), and never had a problem with parts availability. Then again, I did not have much of mechanical problems either...
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    2+ years ago, SOA implemented a new computer system for parts ordering. This led to a long long wait for parts while the system was gotten up to speed in all parts/factories/wharehouses, etc. The problem is long behind them now and ordering is quick and easy for them. But that is where the Myth started.

-mike
  • Options
    beachfishbeachfish Member Posts: 97
    I owned a GL wagon from '86 to 2001 and now have an '02 Forester and I've never heard of this myth. And let me tell you, I tore up some parts from time to time driving the '86 on the beach and in the saltwater.

Oh well. I've been out of touch before.

I did have to buy a front door handle/lock for my '92 Camry last year and it took the dealer almost a week to get one. This belongs in the stupid dealer tricks column, but I told them what I needed done when I made the appt. and when I got there they said I needed a new door handle and they'd order it. Well, duh.

John
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Sorry folks, subscriptions go in alphabetical order so the Crew topics just came up first. Then it took forever to catch up reading all the posts!

I notice the new Forester gets the cool lit key ring from the 2002 Outback, which is cool. Weather band radio, too.

I think Varmint brought up EDB and 4 wheel discs because Honda made those standard on the CR-V LX. Clearly he's a very educated Honda fan, and really knows what to point out in favor of the Honda. Kudos.

But I'm not a whole lot different with Subaru, am I? ;-)

But remember, that Honda does not even have ABS (!) on the LX model, so if you're comparing safety features Subaru wins easy (adding standard side air bags as well, not to mention AWD).

The specific topic was brakes, and I'm pretty sure the Subie would have the edge with 4-channel ABS w/drums vs. rear discs with no ABS at all.

Even if you step up to the EX, where you finally do get ABS, it's still a cheaper 3-channel system, vs. Subaru's 4-sensor 4-channel system. For comparison sake, the Acura TL gets a 3-channel systems, but the Type S gets 4 channels. Heck, even the S2000 only gets a 3 channel system. Honda cuts costs here, big time.

Plus, with 16" wheels and 60 series tires, traction will be much better, to make the best use of the brakes. Take my word for it - I've had both on the same vehicle, and it makes a HUGE difference. Light night and day.

I don't believe the CR-V costs less than a comparably equipped Forester. Once you add a cargo cover, cargo liner, fog lights, mud guards, cross cars, etc. to the Honda, plus installation costs, plus a 5/60 extended warranty, you'll see what I mean.

-juice
  • Options
    Here is a price list just in case you disagree with me (most prices from hondaparts.com):

$465 5/60 powertrain warranty *
    $85.20 keyless
    $85.20 floor mats
    $130.80 cargo cover
    $135.60 cargo liner
    $238.80 fog lights
    $34.80 front mud guards
    $310.80 side cladding
    $178.80 roof rack cross bars

Total is $1665! WOW! That's WAY more than I thought!

Even if you don't want the cladding, you need carpets. The fog lights are a must because there is a cheap-looking plastic plug in their place.

So, Subaru accessorizes your Forester for you. Honda lets dealers charge extra for them.

Look at the site, there are actually several more small items that Subaru includes as standard (ash tray, lighter, etc).

-juice

* from Alton Blakley Honda, an extended warranty wholesaler, basically
  • Options
    juice,

Why don't you post that info over in the CR-V vs. Forester forum> Let's see what the CR-V crew says this time around.

While the CR-V did get improvements, Honda still nickel and dimes you for options. I don't agree with the counterargument that Honda is "letting" customers pick and choose. They're a business and are out to make a buck.

Ken
  • Options
    varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Actually, I brought up rear disks because I thought that the current model had them on all trim levels. Someone corrected me on that. EBD along with ABS isn't a big issue.

As for 3 vs 4 channel... Since the front brakes do 90% of the braking, I suspect that Honda doesn't put it on most models because they haven't found it worth the extra expense. Can anyone seriously complain about the braking of the S2000? Off the top of my head I can't think of any Honda that uses 4 channel without also having VSA (that's VSC to you folks). 4 channel is necessary for VSA so that the system can brake only one rear wheel. As with many things, Honda offer VSA on the JDM CR-V, but not the NA models. :(

Paisan - When my family owned Subarus (late 80's), Subaru had a reputation for protecting their dealerships. They didn't release parts on the open market. This meant that you had to pay the dealer's premium to get many parts when other manufacturers allowed free(r) distribution. That may also be part of the "myth".
  • Options
    ferretboy1ferretboy1 Member Posts: 3
    Hello all, after a long leave from this board I decided to say hello and chime in on the CRV vs. FORESTER thread. In agreement with Juice, I found that a similarly equipped CRV would cost just as much as a Forester and still have less horsepower (at least when I purchased mine)
    ~ferretboy
  • Options
    I know the Type S models (TL and CL) have a 4-channel system (and VSA too). Not sure about the RSX, but I think it's 3 channel even for the RSX-S.

Varmint: you owned Subies way before their prime (which is now). How 'bout a WRX as your next car? ;-)

Indeed, Ken, I moved that discussion over to the "versus" thread.

-juice
  • Options
    jimmyj1945jimmyj1945 Member Posts: 141
    Patti: Hope I am not bugging you...Last week on the Thursday night chat, I asked if you knew if the 2003 Forester would be at the Dallas Auto Show (February 27-March 3). You said you would check and post it on the boards. Either I missed it or you are so busy you forgot or couldn't get to it. I have to drive ~350 miles to Dallas, which now I have already made up my mind to do anyway. However, I would have a much better mind set and the trip would be so much more enjoyable if I knew the new Forester would be there. Again, I know this is not your job and I don't expect you to do this, just reminding you in case you just forgot.

Thanks,

Soon to be Subaru Forester owner, Jim
  • Options
    varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Juice - Nah, I still want a drop top. If Mazda would make the interior of the Miata a bit bigger, I'd be happy with one of those.
  • Options
    Why a weatherband radio?
    Cars have windows for looking outside.
    Mine even has a big sunroof.
    And an exterior temp readout that I think is a total waste. Touch glass - glass hot means it's hot out - glass cold means it's cold out.

I guess I just long for a simpler time :)

John
  • Options
    John- While a weather band radio certainly isn't a necessity, it fits Subaru's "all-weather" image and I can see where it would be useful for warnings about imminent dangerous storm conditions (either blizzard or tornado).

Personally, I love the outside temp gauge and use it daily. Sure you can roughly guess at what the temp is by feeling the glass, but that won't tell you that the temp just dropped to 32 degrees and therefore you need to watch out for ice on bridges and overpasses.

-Frank P.
  • Options
    John - don't you live near the OBX? NOAA radio very helpful for tracking hurricanes and tornadoes. Both the OBs I rented in SC had them; I wish my Forester had one.

Ed
  • Options
    goldencouple1goldencouple1 Member Posts: 209
    I would love weather radio. I've driven through some hairy situations -- thunderstorms spawning tornadoes in Alabama, some snow storms here in NM, where I was glued to the regular radio, shifting through stations trying to find out what the conditions were like ahead so I could decide to stop or keep a-goin'.

And I do love the temp. gauge on our Forester. It has proven useful going skiing: the icy road thing, getting idea how cold it is for choosing which clothes to wear, predicting how much it will warm up. I remember by first trip across Texas in the winter. Wish I'd've had a temp. gauge! I didn't know HOW cold it was until I got out of the car -- yeah, the glass was cold, but hey, the reason I couldn't see out was the ice forming on the side windows...it was 17 F out there! And I might have figured out that that white stuff by the side of road, it wasn't waste-cotton left over from harvest...it was snow.
  • Options
    What about a used Miata with Sparco seats? I've modified the seat track, but some go as far as removing padding from the seat back, and even adjusting the accelerator pedal location.

I sat in an MR2 yesterday, and it ain't much better. It also has less storage space, if that's possible.

Why weatherband? You gotta remember the type of folks that buy Subaru. Not your average folks. Imagine working alone doing winter photography in the snow belt, that type of thing.

Funny thing is I'd rather have it on my Miata vs. my Subie, just to be able to track rain. I once got stuck with the top down and got soaked very quickly. I see clouds, but 9 times out of 10 it doesn't actually rain. This was that 1 time.

An exterior temp readout is useful because you'll know when/if bridges may get icy. With AWD, you may get overconfident. If you know it's 32 or colder, well, it's nice to know.

I guess if the price crept up, I can see how come would object. But it hasn't. The 2002 Forester costs just $300 more than the 1998 model. That's a lot less than inflation over the same period, never mind that they added about a dozen things to it.

-juice
  • Options
    scirocco22scirocco22 Member Posts: 721
    This may sound silly but an ambient temperature gauge was on my list of "must haves" when I was shopping for my last two cars. The first one I had was on an old '89 Ford Probe and it proved invaluable. It was part of the trip computer function and the display flashed "ice" in big letters for about 20 seconds anytime the ambient temperature dropped to 37 degrees F. or below. It impressed many passengers when they observed the display (wich was located in the middle of the dash) do that. In my Audi, when the outside temperature drops to 41 degrees F., a snowflake icon appears adjacent to the readout. I suppose the warnings are activated before the temperature drops to 32 degrees because ice can start forming on bridges, etc. even if the ambient air tempearture is above freezing. The warnings are not really necessary but they are an added frill that I was sort of hoping Subaru would have but I'm just thankful that they have now included the gauge on all their cars.

Any vehicle I purchase in the future will have to have a temperature gauge *tsk* ...pitiful.

--'rocco
  • Options
    canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    IMO, not really that useful. After all, I've driven for over 20 years without one (till now) and have survived nicely. However, they ARE fun to have. Every now and then, you can say "Look, honey, it's down to minus 40" :)
  • Options
    I too had been driving over 25 years when I bought my first car that had one back in '89. Sure, I didn't even think about it then but since then I've grown attached to them. I'm a gadget and information freak so I like things like that in cars ...give me as many gauges as possible! I miss the older cars with their oil pressure gauges, amp gauges, etc. Another thing that I find facinating in cars are the trip computers. Very few Japanese manufacturers offer these ...most (if not all) European manufacturers do. I love monitoring my mpg as I drive along or to see with the flick of a switch or button, what my average mpg or speed has been ...or how many miles I have left before running out of gas, etc. If the new Forester had a trip computer and a full set of gauges, I trade up for one in a second. Like I say, I'm pitiful. :-p

...and I know paisan is going to rebute this with his KISS argument --what can I say *sigh*

--'rocco
  • Options
    Lots of things are like that - you can't imagine needing it until you've had it. Keyless is my best example. I used to think it was the laziest thing, but now that I have a kid I simply would not buy a car without it, no way.

We'd be at 40, though, not minus 40!

I had a cheap stick-on compass on my last car, and while I think it doesn't fit in with the Forester's nicer interior, I do miss it at times. I always know which general direction to head in, just not exactly which turns to take.

Maybe I'd like a Navi system after all, but that's a bit of overkill and big bucks.

-juice
  • Options
    armac13armac13 Member Posts: 1,129
    The nice thing about -40 (there has to be something nice about it) is that it is exactly the same in both Celsius and Faranheit. Your factoid for the day.

Ross
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    <- Loves guages, cause they are USEFUL :)

For instance my '88 XT6 has a trip computer (temp/avg speed/extra odo/alarm clock/countdown milage) and full instruments (Oil Pressure/Water Temp/Volts/Fuel)

The guages are important especially when a car gets older so you can monitor things like the oil pressure.

Suprised yah rocco didn't I :)

-mike
  • Options
    I don't know if you guys in the States have this, but in Canada there is a Forester Sport that is basically an S plus moonroof, spoiler, mono paint, upgraded fabric, mesh grill and a nice auto-dimming mirror with compass.
  • Options
    Yes, we've heard about the Canadian Forester Sport. It looks like a US Forester S with Premium package plus spoiler, mirror and grill minus the leather.

Ken
  • Options
    um, but wouldn't KISS dictate that "idiot lights" are more effeciently useful just because of their simplicity ...if they're "on" you gotta a problem, if they're "off" you can drive like a fool... that sounds pretty "useful" to me!

*tongue-in-cheek*

--'rocco
  • Options
    Mike-- Your XT6 has a trip computer and a full set of gauges??? Wow! Now why did Subaru do away with trip computers? They no longer offer them in any of their cars, right? ...NA versions anyway. As I've said, all European manufacturers offer them either as standard equipment or as an option here in the NA market.

--'rocco
  • Options
    subaru_teamsubaru_team Member Posts: 1,676
    I have been a bit swamped but I did check and forgot to post. I should have a confirmation by tomorrow - but from what I hear it will be there. I just want to make sure before I "put it in writing". Sorry for the delay!

Patti
  • Options
    jimmyj1945jimmyj1945 Member Posts: 141
    I sure hope you are right-Won't hold you to it, just hope you are right. The 350 mile drive will definetly be worth it to get a hands-on look at my next vehicle.

Thanks,

Jim
  • Options
    But I got my driver's license on the day I turned 16 and I'm now 51. You know how to tell when the road is frozen over?

The 2WD cars are sliding off of the road.

And I don't care what the weather is up ahead because I'm not turning back and I have clothes in the back from bathing suits to Thinsulate/Gore-Tex. Drive the road conditions and pray.

I was driving back from Hatteras years ago when a twister went through the Frisco campground and sucked a guy out of his tent and threw him in a ditch 100 yards away. He was okay.

Then there was the day at Rodanthe when a front blew through and our cottage was bracketed by six waterspouts. Luckily, they lose power when they cross land.

And I don't have time for gauges while I'm driving because I'm enjoying the view from the moonroof :)

Seriously though, my '86 GL wagon had oil pressure and volt meters and they ended up being a pain. The last six or seven years(out of 14) the oil was either too high or too low and the volts were either too high or on zero. Worry, worry, worry. I finally put duct tape over them.

Reminds me of an old Datsun with a check engine light that would come back on no matter what the dealer did. I drilled the dash and got the bulb with a very fine bit and never had another problem.

What is it Click and Clack say? "Put it in the self-diagnostic mode. Drive until it breaks and then you know what to fix."

I am now hooked on remote locks. But I want it to open the hatch if I punch it a third time. Not unlock - hands-free power open.

John
  • Options
    you'd know when the road is frozen over when the 4WDs start going into the ditch.
  • Options
    rochcomrochcom Member Posts: 247
    I try not to worry much, but my 98 Forester is in the shop having its THIRD oil leak repaired. First, it was one of the valve cover gaskets, then the rear engine seal. Now, it's the water pump seal. This one would have cost $300 including 3 hours of labor, but fortunately it is still under the about-to-expire warranty. This is on top of fuel sender problems, clutch chatter that required a warranty clutch replacement ($700 otherwise), and an alarm system malfunction.

I didn't believe in extended warranties before, but now I am beginning to wonder if I should have purchased one. According to Consumer Reports, the 98 Forester is above average as far as reliability is concerned. But I wonder if I got a lemon. Anyway, I still love driving it and hate to have it in the shop.
  • Options
    Vue has a six, but vehicle weight brings in down to a power to weight ratio similar to Forester -- just did the math in my spare time.
  • Options
    I knew when:

1. I saw the Bronco II with its backend into the trees by the side
    of the road...

2. And the rear of my 4x4 pickup took off with me and I ended up by the side of the road next to the tracks of the truck that had gone off the road ahead of me...

3. Then a guy came walking up to say that he'd just gone off the road about a half-mile back...

4. And the tribal cop couldn't drive any faster than I could walk beside his car because he kept spinning out on the ice.
  • Options
    gvmelbrtygvmelbrty Member Posts: 64
    Motor Trend has a poll up at the bottom of their home page asking, "What is your favorite 2003 production truck or SUV from Chicago [Auto Show]?"

Forester is dead last at 2.19 percent :(. Looks like it needs our help ;).

http://www.motortrend.com/

-tom
  • Options
    gvmelbrtygvmelbrty Member Posts: 64
    I've put together a 2003 Forester photo album. Most of them are JDM spec Foresters, but interesting to look at none the less. Contains several new pics I haven't seen posted anywhere else. enjoy :).

http://homepage.mac.com/gvmelbrty/

-tom
This discussion has been closed.