Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Ford Escape Mazda Tribute Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    tim274tim274 Member Posts: 3
    Nearly. All but 3% since the problem occurred for the first time at around 3,000 miles.
  • Options
    walkercmwalkercm Member Posts: 11
    Reply to #1050:
    Tim274:
    Good for you! How did you file for arbitration with ford? I'm having the same stalling problem on my 2001 w/17,000 miles. Started happening about a month ago. I just contacted a lemon law layer and they filed something with ford. Did you use a lawyer or file directly?
    -walkercm
    --------
    For anyone:
    Can anyone tell me WHY ford has NOT sent a letter to owners warning them of this MAJOR problem? Do we all have to find out the "hard" way?
  • Options
    achin1achin1 Member Posts: 3
    Hi!

I too am having the stalling problem. I have a Mazda Tribute with about 3,000 miles on it. Can you please let us know how you got the arbitration process started. Did your lawyer start the process or did Mazda? Does Mazda pick up the lawyer and other fees?

Thanks!
  • Options
    bri66bri66 Member Posts: 220
    Every state has different laws on consumer rights on vehicles purchased new and used. I live in Mass and was turned down on my arbitration request after Ford had placed three engines in my 2000 Explorer. The reason my request was rejected is the mileage was over the 15,000 mile limit. In Mass a dealer has three attempts to correct a problem and then the manufacturer has the right to make a final attempt. If during all these repair attempts the mileage goes over 15,000 miles your SOL in Mass. My suggestion, if you have a dealer who cares about the product they sell they want to keep you as a customer and keep you satisfied. They will work with the regional reps and manufacturer to keep your business. If not you need to find a dealer who will. I was asked to leave by the dealership I bought my 2000 Explorer from and asked to leave a local dealer that I had purchased two other new Fords from. I found a dealer out of my area who stands behind not only vehicles he sells, but also by the product he sells. As a result Ford re purchased my Explorer at .10 per mile versus .25 per mile useage fee's had I gone through the lemon law's in my state. I now own a 2001 Escape that I love, stayed in the same original 60 month loan that I had on the Explorer. They credited the difference on MSRP's. The dealer that took the time and worked with me and Ford now has a new loyal customer from now on. Good luck
  • Options
    tincup47tincup47 Member Posts: 1,508
    Here is a link that has all 50 states lemon laws

http://www.autopedia.com/html/HotLinks_Lemon.html

• Options
    bob360bob360 Member Posts: 5
    Well , I didn't think it was going to happen to me having just had my Escape XLT serviced and having done over 16500 klms without once stalling . bri66 # 1056 , don't fool your self like I did into thinking this is a problem that is affecting only a handful of people . I wish we could get everyone who has bought one of these vehicles to visit this site - it may save a life or two. I certainly benefited from the knowledge and fortunately had the presence of mind to quickly put the vehicle into neutral , restart , back into drive and back in control of the vehicle . My wife will now not drive this vehicle.I had the vehicle re-checked on Saturday by Ford and they could not find anything wrong and were aware of the so called fixes mentioned above. The dealer in an effort to make me feel that at least he was attempting to do something , said that he will be calling Ford technicians today. I wonder how Ford will respond if someone dies as a result of Triscape stalling ? To date there answer seems to be, install a new CEO ,impose quality standards on suppliers - nothing for the present customer who they will VERY MUCH need as they go into the new year.
    So maybe sometime down the road, QUALITY will be # 1 and we should NOT EXPECT MORE, at least for NOW , but we know nothing lasts FOREVER.
  • Options
    bri66bri66 Member Posts: 220
    ..........with your presence of mind Bob maybe you should apply at Ford and straighten 'em right out. Just kidding, sorry. All I meant in my note was to inform owners that are having problems they may want to see if they can work with their dealer before looking into hiring a lawyer or seeking lemon law protection. It's not always the best route to take unless you have no choice. I'm quite concerned reading these posts myself about the stalling problems. It is a very serious issue.
  • Options
    jeff_campbjeff_campb Member Posts: 1
    I also have a similar problem with my Tribute. I was just told that I need to have the O rings in the manifold replaced and that I also have a cracked gas tank. I am not much of a mechanic but but in speaking with quite a few mechanics I have found out that replacing the 0-rings is a serious defect/problem as well your cracked manifold. Have you considered taking any action against Mazda? and if so any information on how to get results would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    rep62arrep62ar Member Posts: 9
    Wow. How surprised am I to find this board and that so many are having the same problem that I had this weekend. While driving at 35 mph on a sunny road with my 14 month old in the backseat, my 2001 Tribute (14k miles,previously major problem free)suddenly died. I was able to pull over and luckily avoided an accident. However, Mazda reviewed my car the last 2 days and said they didn't find anything but they weren't surprised to hear of the problem. I called another Tribue owner to tell her to watch out and found that the same thing had happened to her. I have scanned a few messages but without reading all 1,060 (very limited time with aforementioned 14 month old!) have most people had much luck getting assistance from Mazda? I am very concerned about driving my daughter in this vehicle! Thank you.
  • Options
    varmitvarmit Member Posts: 1,125
    This Edmunds news story illustrates Ford's past woes with ignition systems and stalling vehicles. Anyone know if this is the same technology used in the Escape?
  • Options
    odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    Has anyone else noticed that on some moderately sloped hills or roads with lights/stops, that the escape drifts back like it was a stick shift? My '01 Escape XLT 4x4 drift's back abit whether it is full or empty. I'm thinking of finding a bumper sticker that says " BEWARE VEHICLE DRIFTS BACK " (LoL)

Odie
  • Options
    mrbumblemrbumble Member Posts: 3
    Two tips!

One:

A few weeks ago as I was opening my moonroof I was startled by a loud S-P-R-O-I-N-G! It sounded like someone had plunked the spring on an old screen door. I instantly believed that my moonroof was toast!

Good News and Bottom Line:

The noise came from a flaw in a burned CD that I was listening to at the time. Relief! I didn't listen to that particular CD often and it has now moved on to its just reward!

Two:

This week as I was driving I was ticked off by an intermittent and annoying tap-tap-tap. Something must be lose under the dash I thought. Darn!

Good News and Bottom Line:

The noise came from my key fob tapping on the dash!

Live and learn!

Mr. B.
  • Options
    carachocaracho Member Posts: 2
    My 2001 Tribute ES got sandblast stoneflying damage on lower side plastic, but no mudflap from Mazda available, Escape mudflap does not fit.
    Running boards for hundreds of dollars offered.
    Did you inspect your plastic?
    How to solve this problem finally?
    Any after market solution?
    I tried many, but no answers ...no solution!
  • Options
    peskypesky Member Posts: 1
    This is an ongoing problem since we've got this car, we really like the truck but this appears to be a major safety hazard. Last week, it happened again after it stopped for about three months. The good news is that Mazda is aware of it, and the dealer has our truck overnight because Mazda instructed them to run specific test which they sent to Mazda and are waiting the results.

Do you guys feel we should file a law suit under the lemon law, and what is the process? It first started abot 1k miles. It just turned 15k today while we took it to the dealer.

Have you guys noticed that the overhead panel is coming off in top back of the truck, they have ordered the parts ( on back order) and apparently a few other people have the same problem, so I would check.
    One other problem is when I've stopped the truck seems to want to move it's self into drive, and makes this amazing load noise with the truck jerking, very scary actually. I've had to shut the engine off, and restart. Has anyone had this problem? Thanks
  • Options
    milesclark2milesclark2 Member Posts: 1
    WE purchased a 2001 Mazda Tribute in May. At 500 miles we had an oil leak in the block, which Mazda Replaced the engine. Since that time we have a problem with loose stearing and tension pops in the chassy. We are currently filing for arbitration with Kentucky. Does anyone have any information on this topic?

M and M
  • Options
    stormnstormn Member Posts: 3
    While reviewing the NHTSA site on the web I found two TSBs that I'm curious about (because I change my own oil on my Escape). The FORD item #'s are SB618610 & SB620419. They both are under the category of ENGINE and one refers directly to "information on recommended 5w-20w motor oil". 5w-20w motor oil in my area is not as available as other multi-weight blends and I have wondered if using this weight oil is only a FORD answer to wringing out some more mileage/gallon. My dealer service department is unable to give me this information. Does anyone know what thee are about?
  • Options
    sfergie1sfergie1 Member Posts: 10
    My husband and I thought we had researched the appropriate sources before purchasing our 2002 Mazda Tribute. It was not until after our Tribute stalled 2 times (the 1st after only having it 48 hours) did we find this thread. We live in Georgia and the lemon law here is a joke. In essence, our defect is significant enough that we only have to give the dealership 2 times to kill or maim us and give the factory a 3rd opportunity. That's better than 4 times total for other defects. We are amazed at the fact that you can return a big screen TV because the picture is poor but we are left with a vehicle that we no longer feel safe driving. Forget shopping it to trade it in, we stand to lose the entire $6,000 cash we put down.

I am on a mission to change Georgia's lemon law statute. HOWEVER, I also want to encourage any Tribute owners with the stalling problem to contact the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration and report your stalling problem. You can accomplish this by completing the form on-line at www.nhtsa.dot.gov/hotline or by calling 888-DASH-2-DOT. I just got my confirmation report in the mail. If enough reports are generated, it is my understanding that this increases the likelihood of an external investigation by NHTSA.

FYI: Our dealership and Mazda Corp have refused to give us any certification or guarantee that the "repairs" performed last week are the permanent fix. I shutter to think what might happen if my Tribute stalls in rush-hour traffic or when we are making an otherwise safe turn in front of on-coming traffic.
  • Options
    suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    I heard the stalling problems are probably related to a faulty module (forget the module name).

Does anyone know if the 'fix' is just to replace the module with an indentical one? Seems like that was a mighty big bad batch of faulty modules.

Or is there a new, improved module?
  • Options
    kelso13kelso13 Member Posts: 4
    Yesterday I picked up my refund check for my 2001 Tribute ES-V6. Like many others, it stalled twice and I refused to drive it again. Even though I was not yet covered by my state's lemon laws--they had one more chance--I sent in the paperwork to Mazda Customer Compliance anyway. They wanted to fix it, but I persisted stating that a recall was necessary if a perm fix had been found as they claimed. Don't give up....I really believe they know they have a problem. I got all of my money back except for a small allowance for mileage and am picking up my new Toyota later in the week. Hopefully this will get fixed before someone is injured.
  • Options
    kelso13: How did you accomplish the refund? Both the dealership and Mazda Corp have refused my request for re-purchase. Where do I get this paperwork?

suvshopper4: I hate to sound pessimistic but if this problem has been going on for over a year and the 2002s are having the same problem, then it seems doubtful to me that the problem has been resolved. Plus, the service manager at my dealership told me they would repair it by boring out intake valves but told my husband it was a simple computer fix. According to a programmer friend, a computer fix is not simple if the problem originated with a hardcoded chip.
  • Options
    Yesterday I picked up my refund check for my 2001 Tribute ES-V6. Like many others, it stalled twice and I refused to drive it again. Even though I was not yet covered by my state's lemon laws--they had one more chance--I sent in the paperwork to Mazda Customer Compliance anyway. They wanted to fix it, but I persisted stating that a recall was necessary if a perm fix had been found as they claimed. Don't give up....I really believe they know they have a problem. I got all of my money back except for a small allowance for mileage and am picking up my new Toyota later in the week. Hopefully this will get fixed before someone is injured.
  • Options
    I following the instructions in the separate warranty book that list the rules for each state. My dealer's service manager also sent in my service records. I sent a certified letter questioning the safety of the vehicle. I gave them a week to reply then called and asked for the status of my request. I had an answer within several days after that. You may also want to consult an attorney. I did and it was very helpful. Good luck!
  • Options
    kelso13: Thanks for the info. Sounds like you followed the lemon law specific to your state. Unfortunately, I have consulted with the premiere lemon law attorney via a recommendation from an attorney friend, and he told me that there is absolutely nothing that he can do for me until I go through the GA lemon law process----2 dealer chances and 1 factory chance.

One more question though, when you say you sent a certified letter, who did you send it to, Mazda? if Mazda Corp, what address did you use?
  • Options
    jetmommyjetmommy Member Posts: 6
    I too am receiving a full refund from Mazda less a small amount for mileage on my Tribute that I purchased in July 2001. And I'm happy to say that I picked up my 2002 Toyota Camry last Friday.
  • Options
    jetmommy: Would you mind telling me how you went about getting a refund from Mazda? What state are you in? Thanks.
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    stergie,

According to a programmer friend, a computer fix is not simple if the problem originated with a hardcoded chip.

It's as simple as tracking down the bug, burning in computer chips with the new code then replacing the defective ones. One only needs the determination to do it. Considering what is at stake, the resolve should be forthcoming, IMHO.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • Options
    tidester: Thanks for your comments. Are you a programmer or engineer? Not sure what you mean in your last 2 statements. Considering the number of posts on this thread, one would assume that Mazda would have already found a solution, IMHO. All of that would be well and good, except the service manager is giving conflicting repair information to me and my husband. Easy to have confidence in your statement, not so easy considering our experiences combined with your statement.
  • Options
    sfergie,

Not sure what you mean in your last 2 statements.

The computer chips are programmed by people who have the code (computer program). They would need to find the "bug" in their program and fix it which simply means they rewrite the relevant portions of their computer program. These programs are then fed into or "burned into" the computer control chips and then installed in the vehicle.

It's not a simple as an oil change but Mazda certainly has the resources to get the job done and it isn't all that hard to do.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs

P.S. Since you ask, my background is physics but there is no need to make that public! ;-)
  • Options
    drone1225drone1225 Member Posts: 2
    I picked up my Tribute about a month ago. Notice just the other night that only the driver-side window control is lit. None of the other window controls are lit, nor are the door lock or the window control master switch.

Can someone tell me if this is normal? I think not, but I wanted to find out before dealing with the dealer service department.

Thanks!
  • Options
    drone1225: Driver-side window control is also the only switch lit on my '01 RAV4's door.
    I think it is just to give you a reference point in the dark. Once you have that, you can feel around pretty easily. Maybe the Trib is different, but it could be intentional that just one switch is lit.
  • Options
    winbrowinbro Member Posts: 235
    if the problem is a faulty module, why is there not a massive recall for this VERY serious problem. my guess is they still dont know what it is yet.
  • Options
    tidester: You seem to have overlooked my question. Are you a programmer or an engineer? If not, I am curious where/what resource this information was obtained from.

winbro: I agree completely! That is why I am encouraging everyone to contact NHTSA to report their Tribute stalling problem. 888-DASH-2-DOT or on-line at www.nhtsa.gov/hotline.
  • Options
    sfergie,

tidester: You seem to have overlooked my question.

I did answer your question! :-)

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • Options
    tidester: Is this how you treat all your guests? If your last response means that the content or perceived value of your original answer SHOULD have answered my question to whether or not you are a programmer or an engineer...well it does not. If you would prefer not to answer my question, then just say so. Don't offer coy responses.

I recognize you are the host; however, if this is how you always respond, then I would simply ask that you not respond to my posts. I would much rather the other participants offer me information.
  • Options
    canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    in small print at the bottom of his post. He just wants to be discreet about his qualifications. ( I think you owe him an apology for jumping all over him :)
  • Options
    marthafmarthaf Member Posts: 4
    I had a stalling 2001 Escape and I am in GA, too. I didn't have to go the Lemon Law route; after 2 repair attempts I made it clear to Ford Customer service that I was ready to send them a certified letter for one last repair attempt. They told me to see the dealer the next day. My Escape was 2 months old and had 1,024 miles (I was afraid to drive it and put no more miles on it than I could avoid). They offered to save me "8 months of headache" by swapping for another vehicle of my choice. I got a 2002 Sport Trac that costs $2000 more than the Escape and it costs me nothing. No more stalls for me.

My sympathy goes to the person who buys that low-mileage Escape, they'll have a warranty but no Lemon Law recourse (law applies only to original owner). I hope, for the sake of everyone with this very dangerous problem, that Ford will find the real problem behind the stalling. BTW, I posted a complaint on NHTSA's web site. It is vital that all be reported for something will have to be done. I have a text file of all that I could find between the Escape and Tribute, which is around 100 vehicles with the stall problem, and that was very helpful in getting this issue resolved.
  • Options
    canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    They gave you a more expensive car at no extra cost? You should have asked for the Expedition, or the new T-bird!
  • Options
    I'm sure the dealer would have wanted a good deal more money if I had picked an Expedition! I stayed with the budget I had when shopping for the Escape but I'll admit that 0% financing made "trading up" mighty tempting. I had paid cash for the Escape ($24,700)which I compared to Edmund's Fair Market Value on the 2002 Sport Trac, then I applied the $500 customer cash-back. They actually gave me a refund of $123.

BTW I refused to take a 2002 Escape because I don't think they are anywhere near finding the solution to the problem. I picked the Sport Trac not just on price but because it has been out for about the same length of time as the Escape/Tribute but has only 3 complaints on the NHTSA web site while the Escape has 225 and the Tribute has 162 complaints. This gives the impression of a huge difference in build-quality/parts-quality. I wish I had known all this before shopping for an Escape. I was lucky, but having a good, customer-oriented dealer helped a lot. I shudder to think if I had bought elsewhere to get a "better deal."
  • Options
    scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    is dominated by a certain group...
    I have over 4K on my 2001 Escape XLT V6 AWD and not ONE problem... please explain how this is??
    Also, please visit the Yahoo Escape room. You will find many more, MANY more people in there with no problems with their Escapes/Tributes.
    Now, I am not saying the Escape/Tribute is perfect. I am fully aware of the INITIAL production problems. This board makes it sound the every Escape/Tribute is going to be a lemon....
  • Options
    tronsr1tronsr1 Member Posts: 149
    I, also, belong to the Ford EscapeYahoo Club and believe me, I have had a 2001 Escape XLT V/6 since last November, however; there are many many posts with Escape problems...especially stalling. I have had to have mine back twice for recalls...the windshield wiper recall and the "famous fuel smell" recall.
    Don't get me wrong...I really enjoy and like my Escape....but there have been numerous problems in that 2001 year.
    I purchased mine under the X-Plan, plus had 1400.00 credit with my Ford VISA card points, si I really got one he-- of a deal, but it was not fun having to return to the dealers for the recalls. TRON
  • Options
    My problem Escape was hardly in the catagory of INITIAL production problems. It's build date was July of 2001, just before the model year changeover. Someone has already posted a stalling problem for a 2002 Escape on NHTSA.

This board was created for Ford Escape/Mazda Tribute Problems so naturally it tends to be dominated by people who have had problems with them. I consider a vehicle that shuts off at 45 mph more than a minor problem (and one that has no official fix) and that is why I no longer have one.
  • Options
    odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    Well I finally hit 7500 miles in just over 4months of having my '01 Escape XLT. I have yet to have any problems with my Escape. Mine was built last week of June and I took delivery of it on 7/11/01. So I think those with the last run of the Escapes may just have gotten one's with alot of the bugs worked out. Remember the 6 recalls were for the '01 Escapes that were built in 2000 not 2001. I'm having so much fun with my Escape I'm glad I havn't had any problems. Best of luck to all who have some and hope the problems you are having (if any) get fixed soon.

Odie
  • Options
    planetmaryplanetmary Member Posts: 1
    I have a problem with my 2001 XLT and the dealer claims that Ford has no knowledge of fuel smell problems with the Escape. Has there been a recall? mary
  • Options
    ver2us1ver2us1 Member Posts: 36
    I have had my 2002 XLT V6 (built August 1st, 2001)for 3 months and I am very happy with it! I have to admit I was worried after reading about the stalling problems, but it was a small percentage compared to the total built and sold, and I went ahead with the order. It is an absolute blast to drive and I am glad I didn't let myself be scared off. I'm sure I would be singing a different tune if I had any serious problems but if you get a good one (and the vast majority are) there is nothing as much fun to drive!
  • Options
    canadiancl: Thank you for pointing out the message in small print. You are absolutely right he did answer my question. He is neither.

tidester: My apology. I overlooked your response.

Let me close this issue by stating, I do think that the stalling problem poses a significant safety threat (and it appears that several others agree). My only concern with tidester's response is that it seems to offer some type of reassurance that this issue is easily resolved, when based on my review of this thread (beginning to end) it is not. I simply would hate for a potential buyer to end up in the situation that many of us have ended up in with the Tribute. But then again, most of us have to learn from our own mistakes not others'.
  • Options
    tronsr1tronsr1 Member Posts: 149
    Yes, there is a TSB {technical service bulletin} that calls for replacing the manifold gaskets with the "newer type' manifold gaskets and then the proper {retorque}of the manifold bolts. I no longer have the TSB number...BUT...there is one and you go back to that dealer and tell him to "recheck" the TSB's for the Ford Escape and don't let him tell you there isn't one!!!
    TRON
  • Options
    Try this alldata site to search for a Tech Service Bulletin.

http://www.alldata.com/vehicle_owner/index.html

• Options
    canadatwocanadatwo Member Posts: 198
    even if there are only 200 out 200,000 Escapes are having the stalling problem that is too much!

Check the several hundred other boards on Edmunds and see how many other vehicles have a stalling problem to the same extent

Ford need to address this pronto.
  • Options
    Please, if you have either of these SUVs and you have experienced the stalling problem just once, please contact the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration and report your problem. It only takes a minute. (on-line www.nhtsa.gov/hotline ) It may do all of us some good in the long-run.
  • Options
    docjeffdocjeff Member Posts: 1
    I thought that I was the only one experiencing stalling problems with my 2001 Escape purchased 9/00. It has locked up three times on me while driving slowly on a highway. The first time it started right back up; not so easily the other two times. My first stall happened one month after purchase and I brought it in the next day. They found nothing wrong and told me to purchase cheap gas instead of the mid-octane stuff I was using. I will now go after them vigorously.

This is truly the WORST car that I have ever purchased. The dealership admitted that the paint job was defective, but they keep putting me off on a remedy. The anti-lock brakes went during the first 6 months and a small fender bender accident took nearly two months to repair because Ford could not supply the parts to the body shop.

My dealer is unresponsive to problems and Ford Motor Co doesn't respond to letters. I would rather have a root canal than buy another Ford. This is what I get for supporting an American company against the advice of everyone who told me to buy a foreign car. It won't happen again.