Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Acura MDX (pre-2007)

Comments

• Options
    msu79gt82msu79gt82 Member Posts: 541
    I couldn't wait a year for a vehicle and refused to even think twice about over invoice so the discussion more or less ended. Not sure just what they were selling immediately for well over invoice. Seems that there may have been some talk of low mileage used ones, but my memory is fuzzy on that point.
  • Options
    boe_dboe_d Member Posts: 66
    Hello,

I was hoping to wait for next years model but I can't wait - my car was just totalled. I would like to know if anyone knows where I can immediately get an MDX w/NAV, in black or silver. Touring would be preferred. I can't wait the 2 1/2 months some dealers are claiming. Please e-mail me at boe_d@hotmail.com.

Thanks!
  • Options
    wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    Here is a thread on www.acuramdx.org that has some comments on this, including a potential fix that an owner's service department made. Your mileage may vary, I'm not sure if it'll resolve your particular mirror problem:

http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=352

• Options
    Try www.acuramdx.org, there are folks there who may also know of places that can deliver quickly, albeit for a price. If not, there are other excellent SUV's out there ...
  • Options
    Wow, that's as thorough as any review I've seen. Still misses a thing or two, but catches some good points (talks about the wide track benefits), some bad (e.g. lack of stability control). Surprised it didn't give the MB ML320's 4Matic the edge in drive systems, though, I would have.
  • Options
    It is very difficult to predict when discounts on MDX's will be available. There are too many variables involved. My own opinion is that there won't be much discounting through the end of the first model year, and certainly NOT at the very beginning of the 2002 model year. But that's just my opinion.

I base it on the usual early-model-year frenzy, as folks who have been delaying buying waiting for potential 2002 features, or just a newer model, get cleared out. That of course would put us out into October, November, or December for possible discounts. And I doubt if the discounts will be substantial; you will NOT be able to walk into an Acura dealer and offer $500 over invoice. I think you're more likely to see $500 off of invoice, maybe $1,000. But I doubt if it'll be until deeper into the 2002 model year.

One variable on this is when Honda's new plants come online, and how much is dedicated to Odyssey production.

All this is sheer speculation and you'll have to decide which way you want to go. I

Personally, I wouldn't try to save an additional $200 by going to an auto broker instead of a dealership. Why add complexity to an order that can be fraught with ugliness?

What I mean by that is that a 5/6 month wait is a really, really long time. If your order is a firm one (e.g. you cannot change your mind), that is a LONG time to be locked into getting a vehicle.

What happens if it goes LONGER than 5/6 months? What happens if the news on the upcoming VW SUV turns out to be really good? What if MB offers another $2,000 incentive to clear out 2001 ML320's around September or October (though this may be out of your timeframe) (they've done this in years past, and maybe that'll help make the cost more palatable). What if, by the summer, great news (better than expected) comes out on the 2002 ML320 and you'll want that one? Or if initial reports on Explorer quality are glowing (doubt it, but heck, you never know)?

One danger in ordering that far in advance is the ugly behavior on the part of some Acura dealerships. They have been selling out vehicles from underneath people. E.g. they get their waiting lists at MSRP, but if the vehicle gets close to being delivered, but they find someone willing to pay about MSRP, they sell it to the MSRP+ person, and tell the other person they're just having more delays. Beware! I'd imagine that 5/6 months gives the dealership plenty of time to play games.

Perhaps you should try www.acuramdx.org, if you haven't already. They have a dealer rating system, and a lot of folks there on waiting lists. Good luck!
  • Options
    I'll probably never even consider a MB again.

No doubt that the MB dealership was shady in its dealings for you. But, as you know, there are also plenty of shady Acura dealerships out there. E.g. tacking on $6k worth of overpriced options and asking for ridiculous premiums. If I had to pay a $6k premium for an MDX I'd buy something else.
  • Options
    boe_dboe_d Member Posts: 66
  • Options
    cpmurphyboycpmurphyboy Member Posts: 1
    I put my deposit down on a Black/saddle/touring/nav in October. At the time, I was told the car would be here late January or early February. I was only third on the list for my exact specs. I've now been first on the list for my exact specs since December but still no MDX!! My dealer (Courtesy Acura in Denver) says he doesn't have an allocation for it in March even. Plus, he says once he gets the allocation, we're still looking at 30-60 days after that! So, at the earliest, I will have my MDX in May. That is nearly a 7 month waiting list and 3 months longer than they originally told me. I feel sorry for the people behind me!!

Is anyone else experiencing this? They tell me it's the nav system that's holding up the order. Is this true? I didn't mind the original wait but this is getting ridiculous!!!
  • Options
    There are folks at www.acuramdx.org who have similar complaints and waiting times. Not sure if the nav is a key factor. Not to make you paranoid, but there is always the chance your dealership is selling MDX's out from under you (e.g. to someone that is willing to pay more for it).

It is ridiculous, and you have my sympathies.
  • Options
    ptruong99ptruong99 Member Posts: 8
    You mind if i ask you how much did you pay for your mdx and where?
    cos i was gona get mind at thomas acura in west covina.
    guy offer me $500 off the add on accesory, ofcourse at msrp price + roughly 3k mark up.. and the darn guy kept on calling day after day for me to come in and sign paper.. blahhh. i turn that jerk down..
  • Options
    I am afraid I can't help you much with finding a dealer, though perhaps others here can (and have), as well as on www.acuramdx.org.

We purchased our MDX at Acura of Bellevue (Washington) at MSRP. However, we had put down a (fully-refundable, first refusal) deposit back in May when I thought the MDX would be an interesting choice. I was the first customer to take delivery of an MDX from them, after an extensive test drive.

Unfortunately, since the launch, they've now upped to $2k above MSRP, with a wait. Some folks have given them credit for being very up-front about it (you wonder about that ...), and the dealership claims they will not sell the vehicle out from under.

Still, I don't think the MDX at $2k above MSRP is a very good value at all. If that was the case when I purchased, I would have bought the 2000 ML320 with the subsequent dealer incentives on it. (I had been comparing it against the 2000 ML320. We had time pressure working on us because we didn't want to keep putting a two week old baby in the back of an Integra, heh -- the MDX had been delayed from early September so baby came first.)

If one can do without the third row seat, the RX becomes a significantly better buy, even though it's a couple of years (?) from being replaced by a new model. And at $2k above MSRP, the MB ML320 becomes more of a factor price-wise, and it can be bought with a third-row seat. And on the full-sized end, there's the Sequoia, which should be, if anything, reliable. On the low-end, there's the
  • Options
    It has been discussed numerous times here, but for newbies not inclined to read back through hundreds of posts -- sometimes the only way to find an MDX at MSRP is to call outside your area. E.g. a neighboring state, or somewhere that's close enough that you might consider flying to as part of a short trip (and driving back, a nice way to get used to the vehicle). You can still get the vehicle serviced at your local dealership.

Some folks have discussed buying the vehicle cross-country and paying the shipping charge, which is less than the $2k premiums many dealerships are asking.

E.g. some folks in the Seattle area have had some luck with Acura of Portland (ptruong99, that just occurred to me as a possible option for you, though I DO remember hearing of some California dealers selling at MSRP, albeit with a wait).

Unfortunately, chances are low in getting an MDX at MSRP without some kind of wait. There are reports of some dealerships that have decided to go on a first-come, first serve basis, and sometimes people luck out on a cancellation. I'd advise folks to post here asking if anyone has info, as well as on www.acuramdx.org.
  • Options
    i went to almost all the dealers in the LA. area
    and look at all the mdx.. every single one of them that they have it on the lot has a mark up from 3k up to 5k. and we all know those add on accessory doesnt cost that much.. and i try ordering one the way i want it at mrsp price. they dont even take my deposit cos they dont know when they expecting one in the way i wanted.. heh. all i want was one with the nav. and touring thats it. just that simple. Too stressful.. plus i blew the engine off my honda.. unbelievable.. huge hole !!!
  • Options
    saurabh1saurabh1 Member Posts: 3
    Hello:
    Got a MDX Tour/ Nav last week and already have aprox 400 miles on it. Love it so far. I noticed some threads appearing in the heated front seats from between the pores in the seats. Is this normal?
    We haven't used the passenger side seat at all yet so I can not compare the two sides.
  • Options
    There was a discussion about this in the MDX website: www.acuramdx.org

The condition seems to be temporary, in that the fuzzy threads will eventually wear away.
  • Options
    jans4jans4 Member Posts: 7
    I purchased a base MDX at Cerritos Acura for MSRP. The only required add-ons were mud guards and wheel locks (minimal cost). It is there policy to charge MSRP, no higher. Was originally told I would have an eight week wait, but was called in four weeks with my second color choice. They will also suggest the roof rack. The price (for the roof rack)is high, especially compared to what the same dealership will charge if you purchase one in their parts department and then have their service department do the installation.
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Excuse the interruption, but thought I would stop by and announce the new addition in the Edmunds.com Owner's Clubs.

Acura MDX Owners

Please stop by, say hello in Meet the Members, and let me know what discussions you would like to see in your club folder.

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs

• Options
    ccouperccouper Member Posts: 24
    Yes: Welcome to the club. On Oct 7th I put in for a GG/Tour/Nav. Dealer got two in since Oct and one was kept by them and the other ? I do have a VIN now (for 10 days) so mine should be here any day now.
  • Options
    grathkegrathke Member Posts: 3
    I put a refundable depost down an an MDX on December 21, touring, non Nav and took delivery on February 8th from Arlington Acura.

Some accessories were required, but didn't bother me too much, because I wanted the tow package installed anyway. Other than that I got the mud flaps

All other accessories have been purchased from HondaAcuraWorld.

grathke
  • Options
    albert123albert123 Member Posts: 71
    Ard, thanks for the useful tips! Now my search/shopping starts...
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Don't forget, 5-6pm Pacific tonight! Hope to see some of you there!

http://www.edmunds.com/chat/cartalk022001.html?id=hphall2.cartalk2
  • Options
    epoeepoe Member Posts: 56
    Hi, has anyone bought the Nav for the Palm ? There's a Magellan add on for $150. Just wondering if ANYONE's explored this? ;)
    There are about 3 GPS systems for the Palm / Handspring etc.
  • Options
    smithdusmithdu Member Posts: 3
    I went to Flatirons Acura in Boulder, CO and they said Touring with Nav in Black is now running into June or July. I liked Flatirons Acura better than the Denver dealers (Courtesy). Courtesy didn't seem like they wanted to sell anything. Apparently, the nighthawk black pearl is harder to come by than the other colors. The one thing I am curious about is that they are already pushing orders back into summer. The 2002's will be out in Sept-Oct, which means the 2001's will be already a year old the time most people get their 2001's.
  • Options
    petruskypetrusky Member Posts: 9
    If you do not mind going down to the North Bay area (Sacramento), try calling either Niello Acura or Prestige Accura (Santa Rosa). These two dealers do not require you to pay any unwanted add-on. I put my name down at Niello (no deposit), during the past 4 months, I got at least two calls from them with an offer to buy MDX at MSRP. I did not take the offer since I already bought one.
  • Options
    2k1odyssey2k1odyssey Member Posts: 68
    To Cotmc

Did a careful review of the MDX glove box on the weekend and have some clarifications. It is a door-on-frame design with a strike plate. On one vehicle there was more play on the left (latch)side. The door stops at the moulded dash frame. The door hinges are on vertical supports. The hinges and latch permit little to no adjustment. There was no rattle when the door was dropped tward on its hinges. If the latch spring is broken, the door can be latched, but can be jerked out if driven over a rut. However, you can check if the spring is broken, as mentioned in my earlier post.

Two suggestions offered by my dealer tech. If rattle is caused by play in the latching mechanism, wrap the striker with two or three rounds of transparent scotch tape. Alternatively,
    get some self-adhesive rubberised window liner auto weather stripping), cut a couple of one centimeter square pieces, and place them in the left cornermost point of the dash (not the door) where the door comes into contact with the dash. Apply pieces one over another till the door sits even and there is enough pressure on the latch to prevent movement.

If this does not solve your problem your dealer tech will have to do one or both of the following:
    -Get in under and behind the glove box and make sure nothing is coming into contact with the box due to vibration. (A Nav/phone accessory could possibly be a culprit.) I noticed a couple of things that could do with better fixation.
    -Completely remove the glove box and drive the vehicle without it on rough terrain. Shake the box vigourously in various positions to check box/door.

Failing which (and confirmed by the sales and service managers) a new glove box/door should
    be put in under warranty. I might just be a fit and finish problem.

The above notes may seem too extensive for such a small problem. But unwanted noise can be quite a pain to live with.

Hope you find a solution. Good luck and keep us posted on developments.
  • Options
    a2esqa2esq Member Posts: 26
    I am considering the V6 AWD Toyota Highlander, the MDX (base model) or a Pathfinder AWD LE (if the incentives are right). I don't like the backseat of the Pathfinder but the options, off-road capability and price seem attractive. I like the HL but I cannot get the options I want (leather, VSC, moonroof) without spending around $32-33k. I also am a bit unclear on the HL's snow/mud capabilities. For a bit more the MDX gives all the options, but I cannot test drive one due to demand. Any ideas? A two month wait is OK with me. I may just go with less options on the HL and live with it.
  • Options
    Hey a2esq: Is off-road capability a desire or a necessity? Do you or have you seriously off-roaded in the past? I suspect that you have not. If I am wrong then I apologize.

But if you plan on off-roading on any type of regular basis then I would not even consider the HL or the MDX. There are many other good off-roading choices besides the PF (eg. the 4Runner).

If you have not off-roaded in the past (and 95+% of SUVs have not!) then do what I do and admit that the modern SUV ancronym should be a Street Utility Vehicle. In which case the MDX in my opinion is one of the best, if not the best, choices available right now. I have said many times on this and other forums that the $34K to $35K a fully-loaded HL sells for is way over priced. For that price I urge you to consider the MDX. Call around, perhaps there is one available to test drive within a couple of hours drive - make a day of it, you'll be glad you did.
  • Options
    ukkonen7ukkonen7 Member Posts: 22
    Thank you for your focus on the "Ticking Noise" problem. I suspect there are several out there that are experiencing this nusense. The door seal stuff, with the adhesive backing might just work.

I noticed my glove box door is also looser in the upper left corner. The sound goes away if I put pressure on it. I'll give the adhesive pieces a try.

Ref: post #1631
  • Options
    qguqgu Member Posts: 93
    I just got my MDX a few days ago. Bought at MSRP with no unwanted stuff. After a few days behind the wheel, I started to notice sound of fuel rock'n roll inside the gas tank. Anybody has the same experience? All my previous vehicles have no such problems. Should I worry about it and have it checked?

Thank you in advance for opinions.

By the way, I got the vehicle because I repeatly told my dealer that I would switch to a Highlander once its price drops. I think the dealer wanted to keep me, a first time Acura customer.
  • Options
    Congratulations on your new MDX. Unfortunately, that fuel tank noise seems to be an Odyssey-related thing, as there have been numerous gripes about it on the Odyssey board. The noise will vary based on how much gas you have in the tank. However, I haven't really noticed it, but I usually drive with the stereo on.

However, if you are concerned about it (e.g. think the sound is more unusual than what Odyssey owners have complained about), don't hestitate to mention it to your dealer's service department.
  • Options
    Unfortunately, depending on your area, a 2-month wait may not be sufficient to get an MDX. It depends on your trim level and color preferences, and your geographic area. The only way to find out is to check with your area dealers.

That might make the MDX a non-viable option for you. msu79gt82 has already commented on the offroading issue. My only concern with the Pathfinder is its "marginal" crash test scores in the IIHS test. Not that the MDX or Highlander have been tested, but they are both based on vehicles that have done very well in the same test, and are expected to do better.

Please note that the Highlander's VSC does not have an "off" button which, for certain off-road maneuvers, may present a problem.
  • Options
    cotmccotmc Member Posts: 1,081
    Thanks again for the information! I'll have the MDX to myself this weekend, and so I will have the opportunity to try your ideas.

It's an interesting phenomenon, because I could not hear any noise from the glove box area the last time I drove it. My wife says she hasn't heard any noises from it the past few days, either. Just two weeks ago it was ticking quite frequently! Oh, well... Thanks for the good ideas. I'm definitely going to save your info!
  • Options
    I noticed, after having my head in the sand for a couple days, that there have been a couple posts complaining about the front seats. Well, tonight on Post #1639, I'd like to counter-point that issue. My wife and I drove over 1000 miles from North Scottsdale, Arizona to northeast Dallas (each way) during the Christmas holidays. Keep in mind we've also driven in BMW's, the Audi A6, and a Lexus ES300. Hence, we do have some standards that we are expecting from these seats. We thought the front seats in the MDX were very comfortable for the entire trip! They are a bit firm, but I much prefer that over seats that give too much. We never had a sore back, sore thighs, or any irritation. We reflected only positively toward our front seat comfort. I'm 6'0" and my wife is 5'7".

I would consider the back seat to maybe be a different story. Plenty of legroom and shoulder room, but I think the bottom cushion of the back seat might be a little short.

Stay tuned for my next counter-point this Sunday evening regarding wind noise complaints. Here's a preview: it might be due to the roof rack! My neighbor and I are planning to ride in each other's MDX, and we will compare my base model against his Touring model. Preliminary findings are that he complains about wind noise at 70mph, but not at 50mph. On the other hand, I have no real complaints with wind noise at any speed. Well, I can't quite say that... I haven't taken it above 88mph yet! ;-)
  • Options
    One of the major transition points in going from a relatively small vehicle (in our case, an Integra) to an SUV like the MDX is some of the noises. Not that the Integra is a quiet vehicle by any stretch of the imagination. The MDX presents a different set, but not necessarily from the standpoint of defects.

Rather, there's just all the junk that seems to gather when you have a larger vehicle. We keep a bag in the back with emergency stuff, as well as our baby's stroller. That can have a tendency to shift around and make noises. I put some stuff in the bind behind the third row seat, but neglected to pad it, and it rattled around a bit. Then our baby's car seat touches the driver's seat slightly, and can rub against it, making some more noises.

So after a while, I just get worried if the noise I'm hearing is a legitimate defect, or something I've done! One source of noise, as I've mentioned before, is the cargo cover in its retracted position. The end can flap around a bit, making a rather irritating noise as the metal housing contacts the plastic clip. The solution is to keep the cover deployed when possible.

The other source of noise seems to be the seats rubbing against each other, something that's been well-documented (e.g. the split seats rubbing their sides against each other). A vinyl cleaner can usually provide enough lubrication to cut that down.

Finally, the other place is the third-row seatbelts, which should be unclipped from the third row when not in use, and clipped against itself, but in such a way that the buckle doesn't contact the side of the vehicle during driving.

I have noticed wind noise, but have chalked it up to the sheer size of the vehicle cutting through the air. I'd imagine some is from the roof rack but I think some of it is from the windshield too. I wouldn't be surprised if the roof rack is contributing, though -- after all, it's just another obstacle to air flow. Also, I notice some decent noise when there are strong crosswinds, but I've noticed that in other vehicles too.
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    I'm curious as to why you'd use a vinyl cleaner to slightly lubricate the sides of the seats. Why not a leather cleaner? That is, unless you're referring to the 3rd row seats (are you?).

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
  • Options
    ccouperccouper Member Posts: 24
    I have had my VIN number for two weeks now. Called the Acura CS rep the other day and they said the car left the factory on 2/17. How long should it take to get to North Calif? Is there much of delay in some clearing center or such before it is sent to the dealer?

Chris
    Potential GG/Tour/Navi ordered on Oct 7th :-(.
  • Options
    The 60/40 seat is a bit unusual, at least from what I'm familiar with. The 60-portion has vinyl (I'm think it's vinyl) on the normally-not-visible side (the leather seating surface ends and the seam transitions to leather; not a big deal since you can't even see it with the 40 portion up).

The 40-portion has its sides (seatback, and the seat cushion) covered with some kind of felt. I assume that's to help prevent some of the squeaking in the first place, and to let the 60-40 pieces fit together pretty tightly (there's very little gap).

Nevertheless, even with the felt, some rubbing noise can still occur. Some of it is due (I think) to that tightness of vinyl against the felt, so I figured that cleaning it would make it slicker and reduce such contact noise.
  • Options
    I'm buying the mdx in other area rather than locally, roughly 3 hours from my home. I'm wondering if i would still get the service at any Acura dealership in my home area if there 's problem with my mdx down the line.? Or do i have to drive back to the dealership where i got the truck from to have them check out..?

Thanks for all your help guys, for all the useful infos i gather from here to help me purchase, finally MDX at mrsp price w/out any unbelieveable add on accessory prices. Thank you!!
  • Options
    As long as they're bought and serviced in the same country, the Acura warranty is good with any Acura dealership. So you will be able to get your vehicle serviced at the local dealership of your choosing.

The only time it may ever become an issue is if your local dealership extends any special benefits to purchasers from that dealership. E.g. it is not a national policy for Acura dealerships to provide service loaners. Some don't provide many, some provide them all the time. Some will provide loaners only to purchasers from that dealership. This, unfortunately, is a dealer-by-dealer decision and will depend on your local dealerships.

E.g. my father-in-law bought his Integra at Acura of Southcenter, but then began getting it serviced at Acura of Bellevue. However, Acura of Bellevue wouldn't provide a loaner because he did not purchase there -- with a couple of exceptions (one time it was for a very extensive service, the other, I think my wife scheduled and brought it in, and they know her there from our own Acura).

Good luck!
  • Options
    thewormtheworm Member Posts: 80
    Mine took exactly 2 weeks from factory ship to hitting the dealer's lot. They end up in Benecia at the port before being sent to your dealer. Mine was there for 2 additional days before it was on the truck to the dealer.

Weather is a factor, too.
  • Options
    kinmanckinmanc Member Posts: 8
    on your getting your MDX soon! You've sure waited a long time for your MDX, but you are at last at the end of the wait. I have mine (the exact same MDX) for almost 3 months now and love it. I am sure you'll love yours too! Just in time for some skiing trips to Tahoe! :)
  • Options
    For those not wanting to wait, but willing to travel, I recently talked to the Internet Sales director at Beaudry Motors in Tucson, Arizona, and they still have these MDX's available very soon. This is a direct copy of an email I received from her today:

- silver base available this month
    - mesa beige touring end of March
    - silver touring mid March
    - granite green touring nav mid March

Since I have now purchased 2 vehicles from her in the past 6 months (I recently purchased an A4), she keeps me in the loop!

No charges above MSRP, and no unwanted accessories. I believe their accessory prices are a little more reasonable than most other dealers, but I would still recommend Tim at Hondacuraworld for accessories that are easy to install yourself.

Beaudry Acura is located over 2 hours from me, but I'm happy to have given them my business.

By the way, the MDX has 50 states emissions, and I've already seen at least one post from a California resident who bought his MDX in Arizona. According to him, everything went very smoothly.

Also, there should NEVER be any concern about taking the MDX to a different Acura dealer than where it was purchased, as long as it stays in the U.S., as William also stated. I have my MDX serviced at a different Acura dealer, and they are still very happy to earn my money and my warranty work! They have provided me with a loaner car for two different service visits. The only difference I've seen, thus far, is that I had to pay for my first VTM fluid change, whereas buyers at that dealership receive a coupon for a free VTM fluid change. Basically, this cost me about $50, give or take...

- Rob
  • Options
    ispsxc1ispsxc1 Member Posts: 12
    Good Day,

Sold our 93 Lexus EX and got the silver base MDX on November. Has 5,700 miles on it and would like to share some experience/thoughts.

Price: MSRP with $600 options. MSRP of options was a bit more than 1K but got $400+ discount.

Dealer: Thomas Acura. Very professional but is not up to Lexus standard. Note: Try to sell the old car by yourself. The dealer offered $5,200 for trade-in and we sold it for $9,700.

The car...

Pros: Powerful yet smooth; Spacious; Solid and high building quality; Secure handling; Acceptable mileage; Easy to operate

Cons: Road noise

Minor irritations:

1. 2nd/3rd row seats are not very comfortable -- should have more adjustments.

2. Cargo door opens up high (very high)-- might be scratched by overhung objects.

3. Doors trap too much water -- carefully hand wash/dry it every week but see drip-drop (not a lot)even 10 hours later.

4. No trash tray for 2nd/3rd row seats. The only trash tray on dashboard can't be removed (to be emptied) if the shifter is in parking position.

5. Sun visor is only one piece -- should be the two piece type found in most minivan/suv so you can block sunbeam more effectively.

6. FM sensitivity is below par.

Observations:

1. Trouble free and no rattle up to this point.

2. Set cruise control at 68 mph yields 24+ mpg

3. Drove through snow/ice, mud, and knee-deep water with 4WD locked and amazed by its composure.

4. Just go to HomeDepot with 2nd/3rd-row seat flat and see how much you can haul.

5. Carry a short wave radio and do not rely on the car's radio if you plan to go deep into mountain/dessert.

This is not a perfect but very well balanced car. It will not score 1st in each individual category when doing side by side comparison with RX300, X5, QX4, GC,and ML320. However, the overall score will be the highest since it addresses (at least attempts to) almost all shortcomings discovered from the other five. You have to use it more to love it more.

Cheers,

Steve
  • Options
    jordekiddjordekidd Member Posts: 5
    Can I get feedback from people on average gas milage. I am hoping it gets what it is rated, average of 20. Please let me know.

Thanks
  • Options
    It varies wildly based on the way you drive and the conditions you drive under. There are some reports on www.acuramdx.org of folks getting 20mpg combined driving or better, but there are also reports of folks getting much lower, like 14-17 combined.

And there are a few folks who admit they push their vehicles very hard who have gotten 10 mpg!

A lot of folks haven't had enough mileage to break in their engine yet, and most get a small increase in mpg. Also, some are computing mileage from the trip computer, which tends to understate the mileage (lower than what it's really getting by anywhere from fractions of a mile to close to 2 mpg).

There's no getting around that it's a heavy vehicle with a pretty powerful engine. Pushing that engine will really make mileage suffer. BTW premium fuel is recommended.

Here is an active thread on www.acuramdx.org on owner experiences with mileage:

http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=732

• Options
    verlaqueusaverlaqueusa Member Posts: 12
    Ordered from Acura Prestige in Santa Rosa, CA at list price in November, promised for April, delivered mid February. Got hammered on the trade-in, but difficult to do otherwise with a 2000 Toyota Siena XLE. At least I did not pay a premium to MSRP.

My wife took it to and from Lake Tahoe through a snow storm and came back very satisfied.

Only pet-peeve at this point: the trunk door does seem to require a lot of strength to close, more than normal. Has anybody had the same kind of problem, and what did you do about it?
  • Options
    From what I've read and experienced myself, the struts for the rear door do get a bit less stiff after some time of usage, thus making the door easier to close. It may not end up being as easy as to your liking, because it's a pretty big door and there's plenty of air resistance. Getting the proper leverage is the key.

If it requires a totally inordinate amount of force to do it, your dealer can probably adjust it.
  • Options
    julieintexasjulieintexas Member Posts: 4
    Dealer wants to add this $450 fee to lease. Who's paying this and why? Also wondering how to avoid property tax on a leased vehicle. How does Honda sneak it into the contract to make lessee pay it even though Honda owns the car? This is not the sales tax, I know that has to be paid by lessee. In Texas we have to pay the entire sales tax as if we owned the vehicle. Is there a sight that contains a Honda lease contract?
  • Options
    thewormtheworm Member Posts: 80
    We discussed this issue a few weeks back ago. The door does, indeed, require the definitive "shove" to close all the way -- and it's due to the air compression/resistance wmquan mentions. The experiment suggested to me was to leave a window or door open, then close the hatch -- it's effortless when you do that, indicating that the air compression/resistance is the culprit rather than a bad door.

It has loosened up a bit after the first month of ownership, tho.
This discussion has been closed.