Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is "White" a manly color for a car?

tangofoxtrottangofoxtrot Posts: 10
edited March 6 in General
I'm about to purchase a new car, an Acura RL. I'm not sure if I want white with black or tan interior. My collegues at work are all telling me only women drive white cars. What do you say guys?

Comments

• bumpybumpy Posts: 4,435
    for a rental car.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,345
    A man who is secure and confident can drive any color he wants to drive. Be yourself, not what you think others want you to be. ;)
  • fintailfintail Posts: 34,310
    I think men who don't care about cars can drive white cars. White doesn't work best on most cars...maybe a GTI or an old Rolls, or a car pressed into commercial service. Come to think of it, it works well on some vintage cars, more than modern cars.

My mother has had several white cars. My father had one, and it was a vintage car.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,942
    I like white cars and probably would have one. But my wife doesn't like them. :sick:

There's a white Z3 in my garage right now and it looks great (my neighbor is remodeling his garage and I'm baby sitting his Bimmer for him). When my wife pulled into the garage and saw it for the first time, I told her I had a big project lined up so I was buying the Z3 and she almost fell for it. :shades:

Come to think of it, the Z3 belongs to my neighbor's wife, but I'd still take it off her hands.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• larsblarsb Posts: 8,204
    I live in Arizona, where about 40% of all the vehicles on the road are white.

You are no more likely to see a man or a woman or a transgender or a eunuch in any of them based on the color of that vehicle.
  • gussguss Posts: 1,181
    White a color? I thought it was the absence of color.

Anyway, I have a white car and as far as I know I am a man. I think white on a car can look good on some cars and bad on some cars. For example my Escape has alot of black trim pieces that offset its whiteness.
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    No... don't get white. You are concerned with not looking like a woman, or you wouldn't have asked the question in the first place.

That said, some off whites can be attractive. Such as a nice "pearl white" perhaps. :blush:
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,748
    some off whites can be attractive. Such as a nice "pearl white" perhaps.

Frigidaire White cars won't make you look like a girl but they'll make you look like an old man.

I used to own a Pearl White metallic Audi A4, it might be the best looking car I've ever owned but the same car in Alpine(snow)White would be boring.

OTOH Ivory or Cream works very well on some cars.

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

• rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    "Frigidaire White cars won't make you look like a girl but they'll make you look like an old man."

Good point. It all depends on the type of white.

Besides, I think the question is ill-phrased: I don't think it's a matter of 'manly' colors vs. 'girly' colors, I think it's a question of conservative/restrained colors vs. colors with some pop. On a more conservative type of automobile (like an Acura RL), a nice conservative color looks appropriate. Like a Pearl White or Silver.

Ivory or Cream? Old man..... ;)
  • au1994au1994 Posts: 813
    As the male drive of a white Dodge Ram, I think its fine.

But seriously, when the guys at work start making the car payment for you, then they get to pick the color.

2013 335i Sport Line Alpine White over Coral Red w/Black Trim

2005 330cic ZHP Monaco Blue over Natural Brown w/Black Trim

• fezofezo Posts: 9,442
    No. No. Absence of color is black. Presence of all colors is white.

I think what looks good in white really depends on the car. My brother had a white Volvo 240 wagon - it looked like a refrigerator on wheels.

I could see where white would be good in Arizona, for the same reason it is good in Florida - reflects the heat. Black, OTOH, while it can look sharp would make the car intolerably hot!
    No. Both white and black are absent of color. Think of matter and anti-matter.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 34,310
    A Porsche 356 looks good in white.

I saw a white W211 E55 AMG today...and that's certainly not an effeminate car...so I guess it depends a lot on the vehicle.
  • rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    "No. Both white and black are absent of color. Think of matter and anti-matter."

Congratulations - I think you just fried my synapses, jipster.

I'm reminded of something a caller said recently to the local afternoon radio talk-show host:

"It's not whether it's right...or whether it's wrong....it's whether it's wrong OR right!"

Sometimes, I think you and that caller speak the same language.... ;)
    LOL. My wife feels the same way.
  • john_324john_324 Posts: 974
    ...that with pretty much any light color, it depends on how much unbroken color there is.

Older cars generally looked better in white, as there was a lot of chrome trim, bumpers, rubber, etc. to break up the field of white.
    Newer cars, with all the body-colored plastic, present much more of an unbroken field of color, and for whatever reason, that doesn't seem to look as good. Esp. with the aero designs of today...you get a sorta space-pod look. :confuse:
    which come s back to color and cars.... I hadn't thought of things like chrome and rubber breaking things up. Good point.
    Different strokes I guess - I'm not usually a big fan of stuff glued on the sides of my cars. My van is pretty clean for a big ol' slab sided artifact. My wagon has cladding that's mostly unobtrusive but I don't care much for it or the pinstriping. The chrome side window glass surrounds on the new breed of curvy CR-V type cars don't appeal to me much either.

Right now all the trim on my house is painted the same color as the house too. ;)

"Right now all the trim on my house is painted the same color as the house too."

Good plan!

Actually both of my vehicles are all a single color with no real chrome or rubber.

I think if the Ody were white it might benefit from something to break up the color to reduce the refrigerator similarities.
    Back to the 60's with the airbrush for you then, LOL.

Oh, good!

You first.....
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Posts: 11,805
    No. Both white and black are absent of color. Think of matter and anti-matter.

Sorry while black is the absence of color white is a combination of all colors. Shine a white light through a prism and it will break up into individual colors.

That being said my very first car back in the late 70's was white. It was a 69 Boss Mustang, now someone try to tell me that wasn't a manly car.

The sign said "No shoes, no shirt, no service", it didn't say anything about no pants.

• andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,748
    Older cars generally looked better in white, as there was a lot of chrome trim, bumpers, rubber, etc. to break up the field of white.

That applies to dark colored cars as well, particularly black ones. I've built a lot of scale models of sports cars and noticed that without a little chrome to frame the design they lose something.

Allow me to illustrate:

1969 Porsche 911S:

1990s Porsche 911:

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

• ghuletghulet Posts: 2,628
    ...I guess it depends on what kind of 'man' you'd like to be. I'm not generally a big fan of white cars, but I do think it looks good on a few, and on larger, more utilitarian vehicles (minivans, maybe). That said, I think it depends on where you live, too. I live in Chicago, we have tons of black cars and very few white; they're both a pain to keep clean, but white in particular looks like crap when it's covered with salt or slush, not to mention rust. I wouldn't want a black car in Texas, Arizona or Florida, but there are tons of white cars out there.
  • cottermcotterm Posts: 14
    I don't see white as either male or female color. Pearl white is a different story though. I get so sick of the stereotypes. I am looking to sell my f150 lariat and go to a smaller SUV or larger sedan. However, seems like all the midsize SUV's are perceived to be womens cars. Had an expedition before, and dont want to go that big. From what I read around here, it seems as though I must go with a black Hummer :)
  • This is the first time I ever submitted a forum question. I was overwhelmed by the number of responses. Thanks so much for all your help. Like one of you suggested, I am a very self confident person. I will drive what I want to drive, so white it is. Thanks again everyone!
  • gussguss Posts: 1,181
    Just don't let it be a pink VW New Beetle , that would be very feminine. :)
  • john_324john_324 Posts: 974
    I think buying a Hummer of any sort says a lot about one's masculinity. But not in the way that their buyers believe. ;)
  • rockyleerockylee Wyoming, MichiganPosts: 13,989
    "Real Men, Wear Black" :shades:

I think the same can be said on cars in most cases unless that color is Cadillac
    "Pearl White Diamond" ;)

Rocky
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,205
    My Cadillac Seville STS is White Diamond and everybody loves the color. One of the best things about white is that it hides scratches better than many colors. I also love red, but it attracts scratches and cops.
This discussion has been closed.