Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2007+ Toyota Camry Seats

Comments

• andie4andie4 Posts: 12
    Did you get your Camry seat fixed? It must have been made so comfortable that you are driving all around town and haven't looked back to this site. Please let me know what happened. I am tired of a tired tail bone!
  • gailalonggailalong Posts: 12
    I hope we hear back from you Logan on the fix for your car seat. I drove a xle last weekend. I loved the JBL sound system, but did not like at all not having a car key. Lots of stuff to lose or break; $300 if one of those keyless remote things get lost. Still worried about the seat, although I did okay after about a 30 minute test drive. I may go with an Altima.
  • logan88logan88 Posts: 4
    Sorry for the long delay on getting back to you, this has been a very brutal experience. I have been trying several things to fix this seat. The upholster that I went to had someone else who just bought a Camry with seat comfort issues and they added an inch of medium density foam and they were happy with it. I did not like the ride being that high up and ended up trading my camry in for a Honda Accord. After driving 900 miles in the Accord now I am having the same issue with this car too. I think I am close to resolving the issue. I have tried several different things but I tried something this past week by removing a spring bracket and it seems to be working. The spring layout in my accord is similar to that of the Camry. I will let you know how it goes. I wish there was a way to talk directly to tell you everything that I have done. This has been a long road.
  • gailalonggailalong Posts: 12
    Thanks so much for the report. I am not frozen in my process of buying a car because I do not want to make a terrible mistake. I hate buying cars.
    I think there is a way to communicate through email. You have to opt to be notified on the car space sign up. I have selected to have an email address on the site so every time you post, it also goes to my email.
    I would love to be able to talk directly to someone who has the same experience with their car that I am having with my car. If I had any idea there would be so much trouble with the seat, I would have bought a Prius, or maybe a even gone to a different car maker!!! The only thing great about the car is the gas milage, but maybe that is because I hardly ever drive anywhere!
  • logan88logan88 Posts: 4
    I do not think there is a way to email you directly without it showing in the blog. You can reach me at loganxx@ymail.com. email me there with your phone number and I will call. I will respond back to you.
  • djm2djm2 Posts: 705
    Hi All:
    I own a 2007 V6 Camry XLE with about 43,000 miles, and I do not have any problems with this vehicle.
    Because I am in sales, I do an extensive amount of highway driving for long periods of time. The drivers seat is very comfortable. I always get 30+ mpg on the highway.
    Prior to purchasing the Camry, I owned a 2003 4 cylinder Honda Accord. The seats in the Honda were VERY HARD and they "killed my back" on long road trips.

Best regards. ----- Dwyane :shades: ;) :)
    Good for you for having a comfortable seat! A few of us have seats that have a real problem. In my 2009 Camry Hybrid, the length of the seat from the front under the knees running back in the center to the back of the seat along the seam, there is a rod like feeling. The seam is bunched up at the back just where my tail bone meats the seat. When I took my car back to the dealer where I bought the car, they said they would take the cover off and trim the seam. When I asked to see the seat while it was apart, I was physically guided away and told that I wouldn't want to see it all messed up. I really do not think anything was opened up or uncovered or trimmed. I am not talking about the leather being stiff, I am talking about what is under the leather. I think it is safe to say this is a real pain in the butt!!
    Hi andie4
    You might want to consider taking your vehicle to another dealer!

Best regards! ------------ Dwayne :shades: ;) :) :confuse:
  • rocky74rocky74 Posts: 15
    I am having a miserable time in my 2009 Toyota Camry LE. The seat cushion is just too hard (it's cloth), it feels like the padding doesn't go all the way to the back of the seat, and I get pains either in my hips or my lower back when I drive it more than 15 or 20 minutes. Also, my right upper thigh bone hurts where it hits the seat when I drive for a while. I also don't feel properly balanced or supported on long drives. I bought a soft chair cushion (like for a patio or dining room chair) on sale for $4.99 at Sears and it helps cushion enough so that I can drive a few minutes without being in pain, but I'm hoping to go on vacation for a couple of weeks, and I can't imagine doing the 100 mile drive in this car. Before driving this car, I rented Camrys for a while, but they felt different.

Deflating the lumbar support all the way does improve the balance issue a bit, but then the head support hits me while I'm driving. Also, I'm accustomed to having more lateral support in a car. (My old car, a Pontiac Bonneville, had plenty of support.) In this car, I have to sit upright and keep my hands on the wheel at 10 and 2. It is not a relaxing ride, and it's a shame because it's an attractive car and brand new.

I'm wondering if I should go to an upholsterer and get extra foam put in. Did anyone have good results with that?
  • drdanadrdana Posts: 1
    I have never found a car seat that is comfortable so I am a dedicated Obus Forme user. There is one that has a back and seat rest. It is not a perfect solution as the rest does move a bit when getting in and out and you have to lean forward to position it perfectly but I do lots of long driving and once in place with the lumbar support in the right position, I have no discomfort at all. Once you have one for a while, you can get in and out of the car with no trouble at all. I love mine and it has made the car much more comfortable for me.
    Finally, someone who seems to understand the problem! I ordered my Obus seat cushion on Sunday evening, soon after I read your post and the comment from the Prius driver on the Obus site. I didn't order the back rest part but am considering doing that today. I think part of the problem I am having is in the design of the leather seat. The stitching direction runs from the steering wheel back, (instead of across the seat as from the door toward the other door), and the stitching is thick and bunched up right where it hits my tail bone. There are also heating elements, up and down controls and who knows what else built in to the seat?! I am so sad and unhappy about this problem that I am looking around to find a different car. It wasn't a problem when I test drove the car and I have talked to others and sat in other cars exactly like mine but they do not have the problem. Maybe my car seat was made on a Monday. :confuse:
  • smarty666smarty666 Posts: 1,503
    I am thinking of getting a 2010 Camry within the next few weeks. I was hoping I could get opinions from current generation Camry owners (2007-2010) what seats in the camry are the most comfortable in their opinion? Is it the cloth seats in the LE or XLE, bucket leather seats of the SE, or the soft leather seats of the XLE? I am interested in if they are supportive on long trips or that they are not to firm, things of that nature. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    Cloth LE seats have been fine for our family for 40K miles. Mostly suburban/rural driving, usually a 8-10 hour trip once or twice a year.
  • What do you not like about Hondas? They have illustrious reliablity from what I know. My Dad has had 3 Honda accords with in the past 20 years, he's a devoted Honda lover.
  • mwhitworthmwhitworth Posts: 14
    I had a car with leather one time that was had a rough feeling on my back, so I went and bought a cheap seat cover that i put over just the seat back part and just tucked the bottom part under the seat. It did make the back part more comfortable.
  • berriberri Posts: 4,189
    Sometimes I think the simpler the seat, the better. Too often its hard to get the seat comfortable on those that have all these different adjustments. I've yet to experience a lumbar adjustment that works really well.
    I bought the 2009 Camry Hybrid with leather seats because it had a GPS and the Camrys with cloth seats didn't have a GPS at the time. I have since found a great auto upholsterer who took the seat cover off, removed 2 metal rods that ran down the middle of the seat (from steering wheel to the back), and then added a bit more padding. The rods were like coat hanger wire only much thicker and each had a loop on the end to connect to the fabric which ended at the middle back of the seat bottom. Very uncomfortable! The rods were only used in the seat design and removing them did not change the seat other than the comfort. This was not the seat back or lumbar support This was where we sit! As soon as I drove away from the upholsterers, I knew the problem was solved. The guys at the Toyota dealership as well as the Toyota factory rep said there wasn't anything wrong. So much for making their customers satisfied! Remember when they used to say, "Get your hands on a Toyota, you'll never let go! ?" Well, not anymore.
    Thanks for sharing this info and congratulations on the fix. I'm a little more used to my Camry, but the seats are still to hard to take on long trips. I'm wondering if all '09's have this construction, or just the ones with leather seats. (I have cloth.) My seat feels hard, but I can't feel rods under the foam. Did you feel them under you when you were sitting?

Also, where were they in the seat -- can you feel them if you put your hand underneath the seat bottom or are they just inside the the seat? I'd like to know the details before I have my driver's seat taken apart. Btw, it would be even better if I could talk to your upholstery guy so I could tell mine how to do this. Thanks!
  • I purchased my 2007 Camry XLE in November of 2010 . I love everthing about my car except I have been experiencingSevere Low Back Pain and went to several doctors trying to figure out what's going on and have thought back to when my pain started was after the purchase of my car.. I now ride with a pillow for support for my lower back which is helping some.. I had a Honda Accord EX for 5 years before purchasing the 2007 Camry and never had this problem before.. I'm glad I found this site to let me know I'm not going crazy after all..
    Hi All:

I improved my seat comfort in my 2007 V6 XLE Camry. ------- I purchased two pieces of 2" foam, (cut to fit the size of the base of the front bucket seats), and I covered them with gray toweling. I now sit on these cushions, and it makes the seat vey comfortable on long drives. ------ Something that you might want to consider. ------- Best regards! ------- Dwayne :shades: ;) :)
  • skyfan1skyfan1 Posts: 37
    What is gray toweling and where do you get it? Thanks!
    Hi Skyfan1:
    I just went to a "Bath Store" and purchased two large bath towels that matched the interior of the car. I folded the towel around the foam, and made it into cushion. It works! ----------- Dwayne :shades: ;) :)
  • gord0ngord0n Posts: 2
    Rocky74, did you resolve your upper-thigh bone pain in your Camry? I experience identical symptoms in my 2010 Camry: right upper thigh pain as well as a sense of imbalance--like my right side is not as well supported as my left.

Thank you for any advice on strategies to remedy this.
    edited October 2011
    What I did was buy a 2 or 3 inch thick soft square seat cushion like for an indoor chair (only $4.95 in a sale bin at Sears in their house goods dept.), and place that on the driver's seat. It has a pillowy feel to it and takes care of the pressure point under my right thigh, making the seat a little easier to bear. This cushion works better than the 4 or 5 more expensive ones that I bought at various automotive supply and Better Back stores. It's softer than the cushions that are sold to go over car seats. You really have to experiment with what works for you... too hard and it's not helpful, too soft it squishes too easily, too buoyant you could bounce around too much while driving, which could cause other problems. The seat back could be a little softer, also, and sometimes I put something in back of me. That helps the overall feel.

Even with the pillow, I'm still not 100% crazy about the seat, but I'm hesitant to have it taken apart and rebuilt because I know from experience with other cars that that doesn't always come out right. When my Pontiac seat had to be rebuilt, it took 3 or 4 tries, and I was in agony before they got the right foam and feel.

Another important thing is to be conscious of the fact that Camry seats are made to sit in firmly like on a chair, rather than the way I learned to sit in my cushier former cars. Sit up straight, legs in front of you, like you're at a desk, and that helps.

The other major thing that I did to improve the ride is reduce my commute to work from 15 miles to 6. It's easier to stand the Camry for 10 minutes at a time as opposed to 25. For longer rides, I still have my '97 Pontiac Bonneville that, thank goodness, I didn't trade in. Hope that helps.
    I had a huge problem with my tail bone and car seat. I have an '08 Camry Hybrid with leather seats. I always felt like there was something in the seat that didn't belong there! The dealer didn't care/couldn't see or feel anything and even said they took apart the seat but I didn't believe that. I took my car to an auto upholstery business in town that has a great reputation and has been in business for 30+ years. The guys took apart the seat and removed 2 metal rods that ran the length of the seat,(the part we sit on, not the back). The rods were like thick wire coat hangers and, according to my upholsterer, were there to somehow make the leather fabric look good but really didn't need to be in the seat. Ta da! No more pain and the cost was small compared to the discomfort. I have to say that, other than easily cleaning the seats, the leather from Toyota isn't worth much and the seats aren't as soft as the test drive car. Still getting great gas mileage!
  • Thank you for the information. I am a bit disappointed that it appears from your reply and many others that the solution is mine to find, not the manufacturer's. I assumed that a new Camry would have comfortable seats based on my experience with a 2000 model that has very comfy front seats. Something changed between 2000 and 2010 in their seat design or fabrication.

I commute 130 miles often, so comfort is important. So, I'll look into an add-on cushion. That seems to be the best option short of re-upholstering, which as you note, is not a sure thing.
  • I have a 2008 Toyota Camry SE with the 2.4 engine and auto trans. If I'm stopped and in drive the engine feels as if it's going to stall, the entire car "shutters". The tach reads between 700 & 800 but if I place the gear selector into either neutral or park it becomes "glass" smooth, I even have to look at the tach to see if the engine is still running! In neutral or park the tach still reads 700-800 rpm and the A/C is always switched off.
    I've had it to 2 different Toyota dealers and yesterday to my regular mechanic. 1st dealer said to disconnect the battery and bring everything back to default positions...no difference, battery was off for 35 minutes. 2nd dealer said to have the throttle body cleaned, which I did...no difference. A bit of background with the vehicle, I've had it since new, I drive 170 hiway miles per day, I use Shell branded fuel, oil changes always at 5,000 miles, dealer serviced since new.
    So yeaterday my mechanic checked everything, engine mounts (OK), any error codes (none) cylinder compression (all within spec) spark plugs (OK except for 1 so I asked hime to change them all), he installed 4 NGK iridium plugs and guess what...it still shutters & vibrates!!
    Anyone out the have any suggestions?
    I also spent $ online finding a cushion I thought would solve the seat issue. It did not...best bet, an auto upholstery shop that knows what they are doing. The rods running the length of the seat are the problem. Once removed, the leather seat was more comfortable but not as soft and comfortable as the test drive car. The rods were like very thick coat hanger wire...not something you want to be sitting on for any commute whether 3 or 130 miles :/
  • Once the rods are removed, does the seat still have support? I have cloth seats. Wonder if the same rods are there. I may still take this car to an upholstery shop. I've had it almost 3 years, and it still hurts to drive it. Only thing I'm worried about is that they'll make it worse. Last 2 cars I took to an upholstery shop, I ended up with a multi-visit ordeal. Glad you solved your problem. I'm wondering why your car is different from the car you test drove.