Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Cougar Support Group - Bigger & Better

Comments

• Options
    stageleftstageleft Member Posts: 391
    Enjoy, Dgemini!
  • Options
    badulahbadulah Member Posts: 961
    I have never raced a TT, but I have heard the original one was not much of a match for the Cat. I would love to drive the 225hp version with an MTX. That's a sweet ride.

I only did 145mph once and I have no intentions of ever doing it again. I had to test out the chip manufacturers claim of raising the top speed for my review. It was all for the good of the CSG.. Yeah yeah, that's it!
  • Options
    All:
    Just wanted to post one last time before I split. I hope all of you have a GREAT and safe weekend. Enjoy your time off and enjoy your holiday!! I'll check in from time to time over the next two weeks!!

-Rob
  • Options
    camelardcamelard Member Posts: 171
    To my Canadian Kitty Compatriots Happy 1st of July.

To my American Cat Lover Friends Happy 4th of July.

Nimmue, Spook and I will be happily celebrating both with a 4 day weekend. Drive on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Scenario 1:

Scene:

Wedding reception. The happy couple are heading off for their honeymoon. The bride's proud parents walk them to the car.

Caption: THE YOUNGEST HAS FINALLY LEFT THE NEST.

The newly married walk to the curb and climb into their Toyota Corolla and wave as they drive away.

The bride's parents wave back as they walk to their Intrepid parked just ahead of where the Corolla was. Something catches their attention as it passes their parked Intrepid going in the opposite direction. Their gaze follows it to the left..............

Skip ahead: The bride's parents are anxiously waiting for the light to turn green as they sit in their new Cougar.

Closing caption: A REAL CAR FOR REAL PEOPLE.

Scenario 2 to follow.
  • Options
    fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    While washing my car this morning I noticed something really odd. I noticed some slight fungus build up starting at the left and right front crease(right behind the front wheels) and going towards the back of the car about 10 inches. I wash my Cat at least once a week and towel dry it after. I'm not sure if the fungus appeared this week since it rained in the beginning of the week or what. It took some real elbow grease to get the crap off. I just wanted to bring it up so you all could check your cars. Weird!!!!

I hope everyone is having a great holiday and being safe.
  • Options
    I just reread my post and I never said where the fungus build up was. It is actually in the crease itself. Right on the line.
  • Options
    coolchickcoolchick Member Posts: 174
    I've been dinged!!!

Some slimy mutant pinged my poor Adelaide in the passenger side door. :(

I was hoping for more than four months of ding-free driving. Too much to hope for in this town, I suppose.
  • Options
    jayhawk5jayhawk5 Member Posts: 70
    Sorry about your ding. Yes, having a nice car in DC is counterproductive. If the potholes don't get you the other drivers will. At least you have it out of the way now.
  • Options
    pattepatte Member Posts: 35
    We too got a new ding this week and coolchick's waaaaaahhhhhh is in harmony to my arrrrgggggghh.
    Some stinking SUV type high monster just banged the hell out of passenger side front fender, down to the bone. I cannot BELIEVE people can possibly be so oblivious to how hard they slam open their doors. May a herd of pigeons roost above his vehicle forever and ever. Amen. (She says gritting her teeth and holding back the choice words she wishes to say...)
  • Options
    daexpertdaexpert Member Posts: 140
    Dings are even worst when the paint of the car is dark. Mine is black and I can see EVERY little ding on that car. I work in Rosslyn (close to DC) and the parking there and the potholes are not car friendly at all. I washed my car today and I find new dings and scratches all over the place. =(..
  • Options
    Coolchick & Patte:

Welcome to the club. I've got several, and everytime I walk up to the Cat, they scream out at me, even when I'm trying not to notice them. I'm thinking about calling one of those paint-safe, dent repair places soon. When I do, I'll let you know how much it costs, and for how many.

But, knowing the area like Jayhawk and Daexpert, it probably wouldn't be dent-free for long. I really hate inconsiderate people sometimes. Maybe their Modus Operandi is one of transportation from point A to point B, but I know all of us CSGer's strive for the best ownership experience possible, and we love our cars.

The only tip I have is this: If possible, park next to more expensive cars than yours. And never park next to someone who has nothing to lose, if you know what I mean.

Good luck, take care, and everyone have a happy 4th!
  • Options
    halo_1halo_1 Member Posts: 27
    Hi my name is halo_1 and I got dinged about two weeks ago too...

I feel better now that I got that off my chest.
  • Options
    We're here for you Halo ... we know what you're going through ...

:^)
  • Options
    coolchickcoolchick Member Posts: 174
    lefty

When I parked, there was a cherry classic MG on one side and 15 empty spaces on the other.

When I returned, there was an empty space where the sportscar had been and a behemoth Caddy boxcar where the empty spots had been. And I should mention there were LOTS of empty spaces before you reached the MG.

In some ways, I kinda wish it had happened on the door that needs some warranty work so I could try to work it into a package deal somehow.
  • Options
    I must admit that, due to fear of dings, I switched my parking arrangements when I got the Cat. I now park at a Catholic church down town, right next to the rectory. I have to walk three times as far, but it is worth it to have the angels watching out for Nimmue. I know Ottawa is a far cry from DC but if there are any church's nearby try them. It never hurts to ask.
  • Options
    Actually, a friend of mine's parents parked their car in their Church's parking lot while they went on a one-week vacation. They came back to no car. It was stolen, so be careful -- even when angels are watching your Cat.

So has anyone read the August (I think) Sport Compact Car? There's a tremendous article in there about the factory supercharged Cougar Eliminator. I seriously want one. 257HP at the wheels, and 265 ft. lb. torque. Also, .90g skidpad for all that power!

If they release this car for public consumption, I'll stand in line.
  • Options
    All:
    Just thought I would check in with all of you this morning and see how everyone is doing.

I to have a single ding and as StageLeft says, it screams out at me every time I look at the Car.

My friend from England is staying with me and he is VERY IMPRESSED with the Cat. In England the Cat is considered to be a wealthy persons car, and is also considered a big sports car.

The first time we took a ride in her I took her out on the highway and opened up the engine, he let out a "YES!!!!" when he heard the KKM growl. "What an absolutely brilliant sound this car makes" were his exact words. While cruising down Route 287 a Race Boy in his ZX2 wanted to race, so I down shifted to third and beat the snot out of him. John said "Nicely done Mate, good show!" The Kitty is an international hit with him.

Well I have to get back to vacationing, but I will try and check in with all of you before I leave for Delaware this Saturday.

Later All!!!
    -Rob
  • Options
    burnsmr4burnsmr4 Member Posts: 318
    OK, folks -- time for a couple-o-gripes!

Baseball parking lot encounter - Saw the Atlanta Braves play a great game last night against the Expos, followed by terrific fireworks. It was my 4-year anniversary gift to my girlfriend. She loves the Braves games, and she wanted to see fireworks, so I delivered. I have to do a fancy dinner later this week, ladies, so don't go off on me about the sports theme here.

ANYWAY, when we get out to my '99 Cougar V-6 to sit for the inevitabel traffic jam, my lady bangs some piece-o-**EXPLETIVE** Nissan Altima with that door cladding strippy thingy. No biggie, except the raunchy **EXPLETIVE** in the NISSAN got out, yelled at my girlfriend, and hit my car with her fist before I had time to look up from my fiddling with the stereo to see what was going on.

Talk about ruining an evening. Girlfriend upset. Myself angry. Plus, the **EXPLETIVE** still whining in the driver's seat of her Nissan piece-o-**EXPLETIVE** while her drunk husband wallows in his own sweaty filth in the passenger seat. Japanese car owners are just TOO uptight, I think. If it had been a Honda, the woman would have keeled over in screaming agony. Wussies. Dents = character. Dents also = poor parking job on your part. Morons!

H20 shortages - Raise your hands if you've been barred from washing your Cougar because of watering bans in your city and/or state. OK...put your hands down, as some of you think that watering ban applies to bathing as well. PU! :-)

Seriously, I'm hating not having access to my apartment complex' LOVELY car wash station. I got serious about washing and waxing my Cougar myself this weekend, and I spent $50.00 on supplies to get the job done. Granted, I'm not going to get real anal with detailing, but I did want to shine the Cougar up nicely for my anniversary date last night.

WRONG! Post Properties has discontinued car wash station use until further notice in the state of Georgia due to the water bans. I can't win for losing! ARRRGGGHHH!!! If anyone lives within 2-3 hours drive of Atlanta and is willing to donate some driveway/gardening hose time, I'd appreciate it!

Later,
    burnsmr4
  • Options
    dasaint1dasaint1 Member Posts: 230
    It never occurred to me to ask God to keep on an eye on my car while parked. Hope He's got time on His busy schedule to keep an eye on all CSG members Cats and especially '00 Silver Frost in the Bronx.
  • Options
    dasaint1dasaint1 Member Posts: 230
    Just got my latest copy of Consumer Reports. In it, they tested 2 sports cars and 2 sporty cars. They tested the Honda S2000 and Toyota MR2, nice cars, and Toyota Celica and Mitsubishi Eclipse. They had good things to say about all the cars except for the Eclipse--which they said didn't feel very sporty and was Eclipsed in what counts the most.

What was missing in their report is the Cougar!! The Celica was described as stylish and fun with a modicum of practicality. Had the Cougar been included in the review--CR would've reported it as more stylish, more fun and screaming with practicality.

How disappointing?!? Mercury doesn't advertise the Cat. CR doesn't review it. What else is new!?!
  • Options
    Ford doesn't advertise it and CR doesn't review it because it is too practical to be a sports or sporty car so they don't know who to market it to. So let's tell them. Remember my 3 CD's on a desert island question. Look at the responses. We have every age group, both sexes and nearly every life stage represented. So let's pick their market for them. Ford won't want to steal customers from it's own product lines, so we suggest alternatives.

I know no one was thrilled with my first ad suggestion but let me update it a bit and see what you think.

Scenario 1:

Scene:

Wedding reception. The happy couple are heading
    off for their honeymoon. The bride's proud parents walk them to the car.

Caption: THE YOUNGEST HAS FINALLY LEFT THE NEST.

The newly married walk to the curb and climb into
    their Ford Focus and wave as they drive away.

The bride's parents wave back as they walk to
    their CHRYSLER INTREPID parked just ahead of where the Focus was. Something catches their attention as it passes their parked Intrepid going in the opposite direction. Their gaze follows it to the left..............

Skip ahead: The bride's parents are anxiously
    waiting for the light to turn green as they sit in
    their new Cougar. When the light changes they zoom off with streamers flying from the rear and the sign on the bumper says "Free at Last."

Voice Over: Who needs four doors as long as you have room for the luggage and the power to enjoy the drive.

Closing caption: A REAL CAR FOR REAL PEOPLE.
  • Options
    rickelrickel Member Posts: 34
    I heard a radio ad for Mercury that heavily emphasized the Cougar today...it stressed that the $1,000 rebate (which I got in March!) is about to run out, and to rush right in and take a look at this sporty car.

I was pleased to hear it...it appears that FoMoCo is listening to us, after all.

Rick
  • Options
    fredlyfredly Member Posts: 201
    Burns,
    I know you'd probably want to do it yourself
    but there is a place in Downtown Atlanta
    Called Executive Clean Car.. I trained here
    for some extra detailing stuff. They do great work
    might be a gift to yourself for the anniversary too.

http://www.executivecleancar.com/
  • Options
    jjmorrisjjmorris Member Posts: 13
    CR compared the Cougar to the Camry Solara and Accord Coupe over a year ago. It came in second, behind the Solara. It probably wasn't included in the latest group of sporty cars because it's not brand new anymore. Also it was designed with a little more all-around practicality in mind than the four recently reviewed, two of which are two-seaters (and the Celica might as well be).
  • Options
    daexpertdaexpert Member Posts: 140
    I've noticed recently that my brakes have not been working too well in my car. Sometimes they seem to stop right away and other times it just seems like I have to push the brake pedal all the way down to get the kitty to stop. It just feels like the brakes were stopping the car a lot sooner when it was brand new. Any of you guys have had any problems with your brakes yet? If not, then it's probably just me being weird about the brakes. = ) Thanks.
  • Options
    jdicejdice Member Posts: 24
    Hi all,
    I've had my new kitty for about a week, and I've put 700+ miles on it, so I'm not out of the 1k corral yet. I've been keeping it under 5k RPM, and trying not to brake too hard, but on the other hand I've routinely been going at 85+ on the freeway in 5th. Is that something that might screw the cat up if I'm going fast (but not hard) during the break-in period?
  • Options
    gustafscgustafsc Member Posts: 361
    Sounds like you're doing just fine!!!

Get over 1-1.5K miles, get the oil&filter changes, and then have fun.

Skip G.
  • Options
    I live in Powder Springs and you are more than welcome to come to my house and use my hose. Obvious;y it has to be before 10am on an even day. I don't know if I could survive without a hose at my house.
  • Options
    blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    Has anyone replaced their 37.5? or 50? or 55? Watt
    fog light bulbs with 100 Watt bulbs? I've bought
    them, but I'm concerned about the additional heat
    melting the plastic lens housing.

Sorry for the double post, but the stock bulbs are just too dim.
  • Options
    lmigliorelmigliore Member Posts: 148
    Do you have 4-wheel discs? Then they should stop the car quite strongly every time, no low pedal or anything. If they're really doing that, have them checked.

The brakes are one of the best things about my Cougar, especially in the traffic I drive in.
  • Options
    Ford doesn't want to advertise the Cougar and yet.....when you go to their Canadian web site and choose cars.....the Cougar is the feature vehicle. Seems odd since the only vehicles we can order online are the Focus and Windstar. http://www.ford.ca/fordFlash.html
  • Options
    Daexpert:

If you're concerned at all about your brakes, swing by your dealership and have them take a look at them. The pedal feel should be rather consistent, except I've noticed under hard braking conditions (i.e., 60-0). I can attest to the awesome braking power of the Cat, and although I've never laid a measuring tape out, I'm a firm believer that it can and will stop in 125 feet or less from 60.

Lmigliore:

I agree. The brakes are definately an integral part of the performance of the Cougar.

Blane:

I think if you're worried about the heat generated by a 100 watt bulb, perhaps you can ask a local shop or maybe even contact FMC. I know they have a customer support line, and they typically will answer questions about their products. I believe you can find this number on Ford's web site (www.ford.com).

Burnsmr4:

Sorry about that water regulation, I hope you can find a place that can cater to your washing/waxing needs. I'm planning on washing my Cat this weekend (after almost three weeks of rain here and there), but I'm not rubbing it in, I'll be thinking about ya! ;^)

All:

Just wanted to say hi to everyone, and I hope your 4th vacations have each gone respectably well. I look forward to hearing vacation stories over in the meet the members section, but I have to vacation vicariously through you all because I didn't get to take one myself. Take care everybody, and have a GREAT weekend!
  • Options
    malibumalibu Member Posts: 155
    Happy Friday to all! My Kitty is 5 weeks old today! and we're taking our first trip, 6 hr. drive to Palm Springs for the girls weekend! Just Max and I, 2 new CD's and 100 degree weather! I can't wait to leave here at noon. I turned 2000 miles today so I feel comfortable driving in LA traffic...well as comfortable as one can about driving with a bunch of idiots. I plan on taking my time and enjoying the drive.

Coolchick: too bad your not closer, I'd take you with me. We'd have soooo much fun! 5 girls, are going this year...no men, no kids! (sorry guys).

Well I'll report back next week and let you know how the car did on the long trip. Have a great and safe weekend all.
  • Options
    dgeminidgemini Member Posts: 161
    My console is broken! I noticed it the other day a couple of days after getting home from Nevada.

I don't know if it was done by my fiancee when I was gone, or by me.

All I know is that after getting home I noticed my console was overfull, and I pressed down on it to close the lid.

Could that have broken it? I really don't know. I didn't want to blame my fincee if it could have been my fault. Know I just wonder if I can get it fixed.

It was something that shouldn't have broken normally, I could also just leave it alone. I mean the console already rocked like crazy, and looking at it from the outside you can't tell anything is busted.
  • Options
    It should be covered under warrantee, and the less the dealer knows about how it broke, the more inclined they will be to fix it. Try going in and telling them that the darn thing just fell apart, and that you want them to replace it under warrantee, because it should never have broken in the first place. There may have been a "weak spot" in the mould ... ;^)

Good luck!
  • Options
    halo_1halo_1 Member Posts: 27
    I am thinking of changing dealers for servicing of my CAT. My original dealer didn't do anything wrong, they are to far away and their service hours stink. The L/M dealer around my way is only 10 blocks away, and even works on Saturdays. I checked the BBB to see if the dealer has had any complaints, apparently only 1 in the last 36 mths. It also received a satisfactory rating from the BBB. What do you guys/gals think I should do? Is it wise to switch dealers for servicing? Granted this is my second servicing of the CAT since I bought it. Any suggestions will be welcomed...
  • Options
    Try them out on an easy task like oil changes or something. If they do a good job for you, then continue to use them.

Good luck!
  • Options
    giddeup_50giddeup_50 Member Posts: 27
    I agree with the above post... I had no choice to buy from a Merc dealer for the Cougar but always had my cars serviced at a local reputable Ford dealership when I lived in Southeastern PA.
  • Options
    blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    halo_1:

There's no reason to be loyal to any one dealer unless they are just superb. Do what makes sense for you (convenience, cost, satisfaction). You might want to follow Lincolns or Mercurys with that close-by dealer's sticker on the back. Strike up a conversation asking about their experience with the shop. They'll probably call a cop to chase this crazy woman away, but it may be worth it.
  • Options
    Halo_1:

I agree with Stageleft. Try them out on an oil change and see how it goes. As far as the L/M vs Ford it shouldn't be an issue. In Canada they are slowly phasing out the L/M dealerships/service and replacing them with Ford-Lincoln. I think the Cougar and the Grand Marquis are the only cars here still sold under the Mercury label. Sable and Mystique seem to have gone the way of the dodo bird
  • Options
    benisembenisem Member Posts: 30
    Well, I have had my cougar for 3 days. On the first day, I had my check engine light come on. I am waiting patiently for my light to go out. I have tightened the gas cap, which was loose. How long should I wait before I go crazy at the dealer? By the way, I love my cougar....
  • Options
    willhh3willhh3 Member Posts: 3
    Just wanted say hi to everyone. I'm in the process of negotiating my 2000 "Kitty" V6. Dealer is giving me an excellent price...but we can't find one in the area with everything I want (color, packages, etc). Should know tomorrow. He has a line on a spruce green with the v6 conv. and sport package. If all works out should have it by Friday. Keep your fingers crossed.

Happy Cougaring!!
    willhh3
  • Options
    Thanks,

I will go to them and try to get it replaced when I get some free time.
  • Options
    Hope everything goes alright for you and your car.
    Make sure you check out your console!
  • Options
    I would go straight to the dealer and have them look at your car. The check engine light should not be coming on. Also, since your car is only a few days old I would demand they give you a loaner if they need to keep your car for any length of time. The dealer does not have to give you a loaner, but should. The light came on for some reason and you should NOT wait for it to go out. That will only make the car worse off if it is serious. If you continue driving it with the light on and are hopeing the light will go off by itself the dealer may say you were negligent in not bringing the car in soon enough. Dealers will try anything to blame someone else for the cars problem.
  • Options
    I keep seeing this Silver Frost Cat on Greenbank Road in the Trend-Arlington/Craig Henry area just North of Hunt Club. That wouldn't per chance be you would it. It has a personalised plate but I haven't gotten close enough to make it out.
  • Options
    jimbo_gjimbo_g Member Posts: 53
    ....you mentioned the gas cap was loose. 99% of the time a loose gas cap can through the check light on todays car's. It's an Emissions evap. thing. Most likely that was the culprit and you'll just have to have the dealer re set the computer so the light goes off. I can't possibly begin to tell you how often this happens at the dealership that i work at. (Chrysler)

Any way point is get it to the dealer...just to be on the safe side. But if the car is running normally it's likely it was just the gas cap.
  • Options
    Definitely get it checked by the dealer. The final insult when the engine blew in my ZX2 was that right after the engine cut out and smoke started pouring from the engine compartment, the "Check Engine" light came on.

I know this sounds extreme but trust me. Get thee and kitty to a dealership pronto!
  • Options
    Are you taking good care of that Cat of your's. Don't worry too much if your boyfriend doesn't like the ATX. That just means he won't be pestering you to let him drive your Kitty. My guess is he wants to drive her regardless. By the way, have you named her yet?
This discussion has been closed.