Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Crew - Modifications

Comments

• Options
    bigelmbigelm Member Posts: 995
    Is it me, or is there anybody out there that thinks chroming the MY00RS rims is not a bad idea. How much are we talking about, to make the dull aluminum alloys get some shine? Or is it better just to get some rims, like the ones Rallispec sells/sold???
    By the way Locke2c, I'm looking forward to seeing those tires you bought.
    --I've also purchased through Crutchfield, they are good and their customer service is top notch. No complaints!! I'm saving up to get a Kenwood system package for MY00RS.
    Enjoy your speakers Kens!
  • Options
    ramonramon Member Posts: 825
    Chrome sux! Sorry to be so blunt. They are hard to maintain and are heavier than regular alloys. Yucky. Also it looks kinda tacky. Just my 2 cents.

dave : I would hold off on headers for now as i heard mixe reviews about them. Apparently they rattle or hit the engien bay wall. Dunno I guess it's the Impreza's smaller size.
    Bigger piping is in order over the stock midpipe. Not sure what's the Outback one. But Imprezas come with tiny McDonald Straw like midpipes! a 2.25" is optimum shud you stay N/A. Also your Stromung alone will not yield 5-6hp without the midpipe. In SCC it had the JC Sport 2.5" turbo midpipe on it. however 2.5" was a tad bit too big resulting in loss of torque and the sound was too loud. I say go invest in a good intake system instead.
  • Options
    noclassnoclass Member Posts: 24
    I took a trip to Cherry Hill this week to visit Rallispec. These guys are GOOD ! They know the cars and the products available, or not available.
    website is http://www.rallispec.com the site is not always up to date, so you might want to give them a call if your looking for something special. They even design and build some of their own parts like air intake systems.
  • Options
    locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    Rallispec is a great place. If you live in or near Cherry Hill, NJ (right by SOA headquarters...lol) they have gotten absolutely rave reviews from anyone that's ever had them work on their car.

I'm a long ways from NJ but I've been very happy with my purchases from Rallispec-- adjustable rear sway bar and goodridge braided brake lines.

-Colin
  • Options
    Dave, congrats on the stromung. The boxer sound is addictive and it seems criminal for Subaru to hide it with such quiet OE mufflers.

However, I personally wouldn't touch the Borla headers with a 10' pole. I seriously would resell them if given to me instead of installing them. They are not even close to an equal length design (neither is stock!) but they also don't fit quite right and several owners have complained about welds cracking and needing to be repaired.

I would wait. If I bought a set of headers right now I'd head to a race machinist and have them one-off something for me. It would be cheaper than buying the SYMS or Cusco headers! (big $$$ and require legacy turbo / WRX engine crossmember.)

Have fun!
    -Colin
  • Options
    rochcomrochcom Member Posts: 247
    For those who replaced the Impreza/Forester cup holders: How do you get it out? I want to mount a temperature display in its place, and after removing the two screws in front (and the storage compartment) I can't see what is still holding it in. Any help would be appreciated.
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Dave: I guess "stay tuned" has double-meaning!

bigelm: I'd pass on the chrome plating, and save up for 17" rims. But I'm a form follows function guy.

Hmm, I may have to plan a road trip to SoA headquarters, and pay a visit to rallispec while we're up there. Patti said they have some H6s wandering around :)

rochcom: that would be me! There is a secret, hidden 3rd screw at the bottom middle of the cup holder. You have to pry the center console back a bit to even see it! It's easier if you remove several screws on the console, so you can see what you're doing.

You're in luck. I took photos. Here are full instructions.

Sweet, you got the tires? Still waiting for mine...

Glad to hear it fit with only minor adjustments. Hope mine do too! The tire pro said it would without any changes.

Steering is LIGHTER? I'd have guessed the opposite. And the ride is better? Less tracking with a wider tire? Are we in the Twilight Zone?

Perhaps there's a higher land/sea ratio, and it's a summer tire without the loud all season tread?

This is why no theory can replace practical experience.

-juice

PS Looked closely at my old tires - though the wear indicators show there's some tread left, the outsides are badly worn (too hot around those exit ramps, I guess). This despite running 33psi in them! I'll see if I can get photos side-by-side with the new ones when they arrive.
  • Options
    lucien2lucien2 Member Posts: 2,984
    Those ramps will get you. I have 13K on the Scoob now and already I have noticable wear up front. HSS didn't help, I'm sure. :))

Since I'm still a poor [non-permissible content removed] who can't afford any upgrades thanx, in part, to actually having to pay for the car, I did buy a Scooby Doo sticker for it yesterday.
  • Options
    Well, Lucien, guess it's time to order those rims you're longing for!

Discount Tire Direct has specials on wheels, and every once in a while a few will fit our Soobs. I believe your offsets and such are the same as mine.

The MB Motoring rims I got were just $70 apiece, practically a giveaway. Though they're being discontinued, so keep that in mind (order 5, perhaps). They had a couple of others under $100, and several others for $120 and up.

OK, they're not 8 inch wide magnesium racing rims, but they are alloy (not steel) and at 16"x7" you have more room for serious rubber, plus the offsets allow it. I believe you have 15"x6" alloy now.

Hope they arrive today. You'll see photos for sure.

-juice
  • Options
    Well, they arrived, but wouldn't you know it, Murphy's Law prevails. My dad borrowed the Soob, so I'm only getting it back tonight.

I did get a quick chance to check out the rims, which look SCHWEET I must say. They seem much beefier with the wider tires, too, much more appropriate for the Forester's image. They also seem light, but I'll weigh them to compare when I get the steel wheels off.

I measured the contact patch, and indeed, like Colin mentioned earlier, it's actually 8.5" or so wide, which is about 216mm, not 225. It still looks much, much wider than the stock 205s. I'll measure those later.

So I checked at Tire Rack, and sure enough, the 225 number is the section width. The tread width is usually smaller.

The tires are rated 460AA, vs. 180BB for the comparatively lame light truck OE tires (Bridgestone Desert Deulers). So they should last longer, grip better, and resist heat build up better. That may also be why they're H-rated, vs. the S-rating of the 'stones.

The Nitto NT460 tires I got are M+S rated, which surprised me a bit. Though the tread isn't exactly AutoX material, it should be a better compromise for my uses.

Sorry to bore you guys, this is my biggest purchase since I've owned the Forester, so I'm a bit excited!

-juice
  • Options
    barresa11barresa11 Member Posts: 277
    Hey, I'm excited to see the pictures once you get the new tire/wheels on! I would be just as excited as you if I had made the same purchase.

Stephen
  • Options
    Well, here's what the rims look like.

Though in person, they seem a lot different. They're pretty shiny, and seem more substantial. Probably because the tires are mounted.

Can't wait to try 'em out. Probably not until tomorrow, though. :(

-juice
  • Options
    aling1aling1 Member Posts: 225
    Your URL to the pictures doesn't work.
  • Options
    BTW Juice, are you going to be using a torque wrench to torque the lugs to the correct specifications, or are you just going to estimate it using the tire iron?
  • Options
    miksmimiksmi Member Posts: 1,246
    homepage.com doesn't let you provide direct links (bypassing their advertising). Below is the text of the page that I get when you click on juice's link. Click on juice's like above, then the word "here" (last word of first sentence).

You are unable to access this file directly because we do not allow files to be served to other sites. As a courtesy, we will allow you to retrieve the file by clicking here.

Oh, and nice wheels, juice!

..Mike

..Mike

• Options
    Ya know what's really wierd? I tested it and it worked 5 minutes ago. Now it doesn't.

Guess homepage.com has some sssllooooooww acting secutiry measures! %*}

-juice

PS Close your eyes, imagine 5 spokes, simple design, light looking, grey painted alloys. Or wait for pictures coming soon!
  • Options
    miksmimiksmi Member Posts: 1,246
    juice, the photo at the end of your URL shows a 6-spoke rim, not 5. Don't make me get on Metro (subway for youz beyond the DC Beltway) and smack you. Wrong picture?

..Mike

• Options
    ghotighoti Member Posts: 1
    I am seriously considering a 2000 Legacy GT sedan,
    but the lack of split folding rear seats would
    force me to use a roof rack (don't like hitch
    racks) for bikes, skis, snowboard, etc. Has
    anyone mounted a roof rack on their 2000 legacy
    sedan? If so what brand and how did it work for
    you? My biggest concern is the frameless windows
    on the legacy. The Thule rack on my Ford Probe
    (frameless windows) interferes with the window
    seals causing annoying wind noise through the
    seals. Also the antenna on the GT could be a problem... I understand the GT limited has a integrated window antenna however. Any info would be appreciated.
  • Options
    The problem isn't with your homepage...earlier links in other topics still work fine. It's MB motoring's site that is pitching the fit.
  • Options
    Oops, it's, ah, six spokes. Guess I was confusing it with Subaru's 5 spoke 15" alloy for the Forester.

Got the Soob back last night, finally. It was like waiting for the security blanket in the laundry ;)

-juice

PS Is paisan out there? QSubaru is virtually giving away XT stuff. A set of wheel lip mouldings would set him back a whopping 5 bucks. A set of brand new, blue carpeted floor mats will set him back - call the accountant! - 5 buckaroos.
  • Options
    lambchopslambchops Member Posts: 5
    I am the very proud new owner of a 2000 Outback and want to know if the CD player Subaru makes is worth the money or I should buy one from another store and have it installed. It would be the basic model CD player Subaru offers but I could get a really nice one from an independent store. What are your thoughts?
  • Options
    p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    The time to decide to get the OE CD player is prior to the purchase when you can negotiate with the dealer to get it at invoice. I'm quite satisfied with my CD player but wouldn't be willing to pay retail for it. List price for the singe CD player is $350 while the 6-Disc changer is $510. Face it, you can get a comparable one for a lot less from an independent. Crutchfield.com has a large selection with many available for less than $300. Of course it's always nice to have one that says Subaru on it so you might check and see how much Darlene at qsubaru@aol.com will sell one for. I checked Subaruparts.com and they list them for approx $50 less than retail. Whatever you do don't buy from your dealer.

Frank P.
  • Options
    jurek2jurek2 Member Posts: 10
    I have just installed a K&N air filter into my 2000 Outback. I ordered it at Canadian Tire and it cost $65.99 (Canadian) plus tax. The filter number is 33-2154. I has arrived two days before my departure to Vancouver BC. See You in august !
    jurek
  • Options
    francophilefrancophile Member Posts: 667
    I just drove across the country with a bicycle in the back seat. It was a road bike with fenders, and I want to use floor space behind the front seats for easy-to-reach storage, so to make it all work I removed both wheels and strapped the bike in using bungie cords hooked to the child carrier hooks behind the back seat. I covered the entire seat with an old bedsheet before doing any of it.

I may consider a roof rack for my car so I would appreciate it if you could share whatever you learn in your search. My best source of information in situations like yours is usually to spot a similar car with a rack and accost the owner!

As for the radio antenna: like you, I was under the impression that only the Ltd had the in-window antenna. However my 'standard' GT also has the in-window antenna (which provides acceptable reception btw).

Cheers,
    WDB
  • Options
    kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Just finished installing the dual cup holder on my 98 Forester. Boy, that took some elbow grease!

I bought the unit from QSubaru for $15+change and used juice's instructions as a reference:

http://thejuiceman.homepage.com/cup.html

The tricky part, as juice points out, is getting that bottom-middle screw out. He wasn't kidding. The center console cover needs to be pryed away in order for you to be able to stick a screwdriver in and reach it. I didn't want to scratch the console cover, so in addition to juice's instructions, I also removed the entire console cover using these directions:

http://www.autotoys.com/New_Tech/Cust_Installs/DIN-size_radio_install_guide_f/body_din-size_radio_install_guide_f.htm

It looks like a lot of work, but the three covers come off rather easily. I highly recommend taking this extra step because scratching the plastic right under the cupholder is inevitable. By removing the console cover ahead of time, you only scratch the plastic where it won't be seen once you put it all back together.

I also found that after you remove the console cover, it exposes two screws at the very top corners. By removing these, I found that it allowed for more 'play' and made prying away the plastic below the cup holder a bit easier.

One piece of advice -- be extra careful when you're removing the bottom screw of the cupholder. It's real easy to loose it in the depths of the center console. I almost lost mine but luckily, it landed right on top of the HVAC unit where I could pick it up with a pair of pliers (whew!).

The new cupholder looks great! Although you loose the two-size adjustment of the old model, it's nice to have the extra carrying capacity. Plus, I think the dual cupholder is a little more sturdy.

Ken
  • Options
    There are basically two highly reputable rack makers widely available in the US: Yakima (USA) and Thule (Sweden). Both have good reputations and both have applications for the Legacy sedan. You are probably looking at around 300-$400. I don't know how the mounts will affect your weatherstripping; I think that is probably a matter of comparison shopping and maybe even having a look at the two systems. FWIW, Yakima makes the "Subaru" OE bike and kayak carrier.

Good hunting-

Lucien
  • Options
    I finally found some side-by-side comparison pictures of stock 55w halogen bulbs vs. 55w PIAA Superwhites. These pictures were taken by a BMW M roadster owner who was unhappy with the performance of the stock headlamp bulbs; the pictures have not been altered in any way. I think that all of you will agree that the PIAAs are brighter, whiter and seem to cover a slightly larger area ahead. See, I wasn't exaggerating in my earlier posts! :-) They may be pricey, but definitely worth it, IMHO.

Before After
    imageimage

Drew
  • Options
    bigelmbigelm Member Posts: 995
    Hey guys, chk this out. I finally went to a aftermarket car shop to have my tints put on. Brand:Luminar or Iluminar (something to that effect) anyway, lifetime warranty on the tints by manufacturer. Smoke tint on rear window and side rear windows, Semi-smoke driver and passenger and 1/4 smoke front windshield = $200. All legal, so cops won't have an excuse to stop me. Looks very nice, and the temperature difference in the inside of MY00RS on a sunny day was quickly noticeable.
    Well that wasn't the reason why I wanted to post in the first place but I wanted to share it (I think I got a heck of a deal). I grew interested in a particular stick lever knob. I know that if it's not STi, it's not legit. But I personally liked it. Anyone ever heard of RAZO? It actually has the two dots on the "A" but I can't seem to do it on the post, it's pronounced Ray-zo. I was told it has a very high reputation in Japan for racing gear...
    I couldn't resist so I also purchased the Carbon Fiber racing pedals, also RAZO. But not really for the looks but because I find my foot sometimes slipping off the pedals when I'm driving; and the guy was giving me a good deal, I thought...$100 for both things. Anybody know about this brand, or was the guys just trying to sell. I know it's not STi, but it doesn't mean I won't buy STi. I guess different is the key here.
  • Options
    noclassnoclass Member Posts: 24
    If your looking to really do performance mod's right the 1st time on your Subaru, you really owe it to yourself and your car to check out RalliSpec in NJ. I took my Legacy up there last month for an Underdrive Pulley and meet the owners. I'll have a full write-up on the shop in the next issue of AnyRoad AnyTime.
    http://www.rallispec.com or find them from our links page at www.subaruclub.com
  • Options
    You may want to add a few small pieces of 3M
    traction tape on your pedals so that your foot
    doesn't keep slipping off the pedals. This is also
    a common problem with metal pedals, such as the
    ones that the Mazda RX-7 has. It could be cause for concern if your foot (if wet from rain or snow) starts slipping off the brake pedal.

I've heard of Razo before, and yes, they are indeed quite popular in the Asian countries, though not as much as Momo.
  • Options
    ramonramon Member Posts: 825
    Razo = choice of the economic crowds. I've seen it at many many places. Some non auto places carry them too. They make from pedals to fancy air fresheners to gear knobs. If you like it, buy it. I would definitely not lump it with MOMO or any STi or Mugen products. It's prolly in the same league with Ractive.
  • Options
    Are you using the Unorthodox pulley? If so, are you experiencing any degradation in HVAC during this hot summer week?
  • Options
    dzartmandzartman Member Posts: 112
    Good to hear the K&N is available for MY2000 models, I'll be getting one soon. Any difference that you can feel? I'd buy one just for environmental reasons, if not the +3 hp you get with one.

Both Minnam and Rallispec have some cool stuff coming....turbos, new cams, exhausts. Subie power is growing.

As for me I'd refuse to lose the A/C power using that Unorthodox 'underdrive' design. I'd yank a pulley off a wrecked Subie and send it to Paeco with instructions to make an exact copy in aluminum. (They offer this service). Then you don't lose A/C and alternator power, and any hp loss is minimal as well, seeing as how they say maybe only 5-8 horses with a lighter pulley anyway. Here in SoCal, I'd rather have full A/C, plus knowing that the Alernator is getting full juice. IMHO.
  • Options
    I know, I just hear a lot of different things about pulleys and the effect they really have on other systems. I suppose I should just grab a Stromung muffler from spdusa.com and leave it at that.

BTW, did your wheels ever come?

-Lucien
  • Options
    nematodenematode Member Posts: 448
    I looked into this just in case my Taurus dies and I have to buy a used RS before I can save up and get the Impreza Turbo when it finally gets here.

The one that I found comes as a kit from Rimmer and the link is:

http://www.rimmersuperchargers.com/subaru.html

Under $5000 installed if I have a local guy (an acutal Subaru certified mechanic) do it with the additional fuel controller. It think the base kit was $3250 + shipping.
    You guys probably already knew this but I thought I would post it anyway.
  • Options
    buchignanibuchignani Member Posts: 30
    About two weeks ago I replaced the 12mm rear sway bar on my 2001 (M5)S-Limited with an 18mm one.

I think that this turned out to be a very useful modification. It significantly reduced body roll in turns and the latency between turning the steering wheel and when the Forester actually turns. I figure that I am good for at least an extra 10 kph (6 mph) of comfort level on twisty roads.

It had no observable effect on over or understeer the way I drive. In fact, my partner can't tell *any* kind of difference between before and after. I did a fair amount of driving on fairly good gravel roads, and it does not seem to have in any way degraded the Forester's ability to deal with bumps, etc.

I suspect on theoretical grounds that there might be some degradation of the vehicle's ability to deal with very large bumps and valleys encountered solely on the right or left side, but I have not yet had a chance to test this.

The 'modification' requires little effort: remove four bolts, take out the old bar, put in the new one (with new bushings), replace the four original bolts. It can be done without even jacking up the vehicle.

Norman
  • Options
    kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Norman,

Where did you buy the sway bar? How much did you pay for it?

I'd be interested to hear about any other differences you might feel from the modification.

Ken
  • Options
    buchignanibuchignani Member Posts: 30
    I got it from:

SPD Tuning Service, Inc.
    2415 1/2 Voorhees Avenue
    Redondo Beach CA 90278

web site: www.spdusa.com

e-mail: mshields@pacbell.net
  • Options
    Anybody got one? If so, what are the dimensions? I'm thinking about getting one but saw a post a while back that they somewhat obstruct the view because they are bigger than the stock mirrors. Also, is it possible to install myself or do I need to use the dealer? I've got a 01 Forester so it should be pre-wired?

Frank P.
  • Options
    I have the one installed by Subaru. It's great and I really love the electronic compass. The problem is that is seems to be wider than the std mirror and the passenger visor hits it when it's fully extended towards the windshield. I always have to remind my passengers, otherwise I am constantly re-adjusting my mirror. Drives me foolish!

Stephen
  • Options
    FYI, Rallispec sells an adjustable rear sway bar. It's 20mm but by decreasing or increasing the lever arm length it achieves rigidity roughly equal to 18-22mm.

It's about the same price as the (usually) used 18mm bars SPD sells and is brand new.

-Colin
  • Options
    Click on my Subie site below for the link to photos of my new Stromung exhaust on my 2000 Outback wagon.

http://www.wave.net/diveguy/Dave/
  • Options
    kewl...time to start saving my pennies
  • Options
    I tweaked the res on the pics; they're correct now.

http://www.wave.net/diveguy/Dave/Muffler/
  • Options
    Stephen,

I don't supose I could impose upon you to measure your mirror for me and post the height and width? For comparison purposes, the stock mirror is 2.5 by 8.5 inches.

Frank
  • Options
    Not a problem. I'll measure it tonight when I get home.

Stephen
  • Options
    Folks, please share prices! Love to hear about the mods, but also what they'd cost.

Speaking of prices, I helped Darlene put up a simple site with price lists, check it out. QSubaru finally has a web presense!

There are samples of prices for popular models, specials, and portions of the SPT catalog.

I worked a deal where she'll send me some free accessories, and I'll be her "guinea pig" test guy. That's good for everybody if you think about it. I'll post full details on my site for each accessory I get.

Now it's time to lobby SoA to add forced induction to the SPT catalog. PLEASE!

-juice
  • Options
    amishraamishra Member Posts: 367
    Does anyone know anything about the Subaru subwoofer?

Is it installed under the driver or passenger seat?
    Is it self powered, and share leads off the front r/l speakers?

I've got an aftermarket head unit, so I'm wondering if the Subaru sub will still work if I install it.

Thanks, ash
  • Options
    I hope it's not the same as the Impreza sub, which I have seen out of the car and heard when installed. The Impreza sub is a little piece of junk with perhaps a 6" driver in a plastic enclosure. To say it sounds unimpressive would be polite.

-Colin
  • Options
    francophilefrancophile Member Posts: 667
    In the Legacy/OB's it mounts under the passenger seat. I don't know if it will work with aftermarket heads - it would depend on stuff like whether it uses speaker-level input - and I don't know the answer to that. Note that it is a subwoofer/amplifier so that means the wiring harness carries 12 volts.

As for its looks and function, Colin, your description sounds about right for the one in my '00 Legacy GT. It makes a significant difference, filling in the bottom very impressively and with sufficient subtlety for my admittedly non-audiophile tastes. It won't make the windows bulge out, but I don't need that! But then these comments come from a fellow who bought plastic-housed surround speakers for his home video rig after listening to many brands and styles and comparing many prices. They were hands down the best value for the money; kind of like my Subaru ;-)

Cheers,
    WDB
This discussion has been closed.