Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick LeSabre Heating / Cooling

Comments

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,682
    Go above the driver's accelerator and see if the blue line gets vacuum when the unit is set for AC and the motor is running to provide vacuum. If you do get vacuum there the motor that moves the vane might be leaking through its diaphragm or the rotating parts might be jammed inside the heater.

I actually took another color tube off over there and applied it to the AC vanes instead of the blue to be sure they moved.

I believe the blue line is the right one. I can't check right now. It goes to a vane which has an axis of rotation parallel to the dashboard an horizontal. It blocks the movement of air going upward to the defrosters and forces it out.

imageSee more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com

imageSee more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com

The cover for the programmer box unsnaps on one side and can be removed without removing the programmer. The plastic connector slips out of the corner of the box. You CAN cut one one inside and outside and just connect it (both blue in this case) and apply vacuum directly without going through the connector where the black nipples inside closeup with age and heat. Connect using a piece of aquarium tubing or gas line (1/8 inch internal diameter worked for me free from NAPA junk box since I needed only 5 inches... I used about 1 inch long piece.).

This message has been approved.

• tlamantlaman Posts: 1
    When I set climate control to have A/C on, the air that comes out of the vents is not cold. It is slightly warm. Under the hood, the compressor and lines are very cold. I thnk the problem is with the vent control. When this first happened, I could adjust the passenger heat/cold delta control to cooler and the air out of the passenger vent gets slightly cooler than the driver side. Now, I can't tell if there is a difference. Any ideas on what might be wrong and ow to troubleshoot/fix problem?
    The 2002 unit is operated by electric actuators. I believe the passenger actuator is on the right side and the whole unit actuator is on the driver's side. I have picked this up from reading.

I suggest searching further on the net. Also spend some quality time with the hush panels off under the dash and watch the actuators move when you operate the AC control unit to determine which one and where does what... At least you can do this with the key ON and don't have to have the motor running like the 92-99 system which used engine vacuum to operate motors to move vanes and had two actuators for the blend doors (driver and passenger).

• keacokeaco Posts: 3
    The automatic climate system is blowing out hot air on the drivers side and cold air on the passenger side during air conditioning when first started. After a half hour or so the system appears to operate normal. Any ideas what the problem could be?
    First check freon level. Lots of folk have found that a low level keeps the part of the evaporator cold that the air that ends up on the passenger side goes through while the part supplying air to the driver is warmer than it should be. '

Second is that there is an actuator that affects the blend door from what posters have said. It is the one on the driver's side. You may have to take off the hush panels under the dash to see. You should be able to move things by adjusting the settings while the key is in the ON position.

• towneytowney Posts: 1
    2000 Le Sabre with just the passenger side AC blowing cold air. It seems when the AC is first turned on the the drivers side starts to blow cold but turns to warm air. I have read here about thew acuators but for the life of me i can't seem to find what I am looking for. Any suggestions on a fix
    FYI this has seperate warm or colder control on the passenger side located on door panel. Freon level is normal.
  • Thanks for the heads up on the low freon charge. I did not even consider that as the problem, I recharged the system and it works like a champ. Thanks again!
  • I was experiencing the same issue. Cold on passenger side and hot on the drivers side with the dual climate control system. Thanks to the suggestion of one the on-liners, my problem has been resolved. The AC compressor was not short cycling like they normally do on a low charge, but was running continuously. I had used only the low pressure gauge on my manifold set and it appeared to be normal between 40 to 45 psig, but then after a second look I hooked up both guages and found the freon charge was low and almost flat. I weighed in the correct amount of freon and that has taken care of the problem. I hope this helps you solve your problem!
    Thanks for coming back and letting other users know what worked on your car. It will help others.

• I have a 2003 Buick LeSabre with an air conditioner problem that the dealer has not been able to repair.

The air conditioner blower rarely comes on when the car is started but after several minutes, sometimes nearly an hour it will began to work.

On other times when it is not working I can make a sharp turn either clockwise or counter clockwise and the blower will begin to work.

When the blower is not working and I drive over a rough stretch of road it will begin to work.

When the blower is working and I stop the car, the blower will slow down almost to the point of stopping.

When driving and the blower is working, it surges, i.e. varies rpm for no apparent reason.

Once the blower begins to work, it will continue to work until I turn the car off.

Any ideas on how I can get the air conditioner repaired?
    Has the blower motor been replaced? Otherwise it sounds like a contact in a connector somewhere along the line. That would require tracing and checking them all.

I recall someone who had an erratic blower motor on the same type car after 2000+
    and he tookthe motor apart and found a contact was not quite long enough inside the motor. He rebuilt the contact and it worked happily ever after. He felt the motor itself was poorly engineered and that led to the contact wearing too much too early.

He hiimself is an engineer.

That story is why I asked if you had replaced the blower motor. It's inside the car and removed from under the passenger side of the dash. If I recall it has 5 or so screws holding it in place and comes out with a tight fit but is doable.

• No, the blower motor has not been replaced.

I'm disappointed that the Buick technicians have not been able to repair the problem.

Is there some place I can check to see if other owners have the same problem?
  • 1994 Buick LeSabre Custom AC/Heater Fan will not work.Manual control system. We took out the inside control the fan will not work. Mechanic had an old one from junk yard the fan worked but no other buttons worked on that unit, I bought a new fan control switch we put that in and it still did not work! All the lights light up on the control except the fan control. What can the problem be???
  • taa36taa36 Posts: 1
    I changed my battery then my heater quit working on my 98 buick lesaber, the heater display flashes and no heat comes out, fan still works but dose not blow through vents. Can anyone help??? thanks
    Is the air coming out the defroster vents?

That would indicate there's a vacuum problem. When there's no vacuum the default is defrost for safety to be able to clear the windshield.

You can check the vacuum line (black plastic, 1/4 in) that goes to the vacuum tank in front of the right front wheel behind the headlights. You have to be on the gound looking up to find it. With the motor on or just turned off pulling off the connector should give a whoosh as air rushes in. It should hold vacuum for 30 seconds after motor is off (or more).

You should be able to switch buttons on the controls inside with the motor running and hear the vanes inside the box move; same if motor just turned off so it's easier to hear the movement noises.

The flashing is most likely because you didn't turn off the heater controls with the switch ON before you disconnected the battery. The unit does a check for positions of the vanes and it probably cracked the actuator gears as it went full off and then full on.

BUT first find the vacuum. The source is next to the big hose that goes to the brake booster on the firewall; the big hose connects to the intake manifold on the backside and if I recall the little tube connects beside it. Follow that black plastic vacuum tube to the Y connector next to the AC dryer. You may have to take off the cover over the relay center that has a couple of clips holding it; it covers the area you want to look at. The vacuum line runs through bundles with the electrical wires so you can't see it all.

The Y sends the line to the vacuum storage up front and the other side goes to the inside of the car. Most likely your problem is in the front of the car, not inside.

I'd need to check a factory service manual but there is a relay on the firewall for the high speed only power to the blower fan. There is a relay for the interior, lower three speeds--I believe, don't hold me to that.

You really need to see a factory service manual.

If you have a library that's part of a fairly good one, call to see if they have AllData on their library computers. Our county-wide system does, but it's not accessible from home computers like most of the databases and info services. I have to go to the local branch and use their terminal. I can save pages and pictures onto my USB memory stick. I can print out things there if I want.

You can buy factory service manuals used that are authentic Helm GM manuals on Ebay, but you need to do some comparisons from year to year and seller to determine what's the real appearance of the Helm manual for that year.

They are available new form helminc.com for about $125.

You need to find out where power for the buttons is supplied through what fuses and relays.

• Hi,

This past summer I had to replace the manual AC/Heater Control Unit C-60 with rear window defogger switch. I found a used one on ebay. I finally had AC but now I find that the defrost isn't that strong or hot and the defogger switch doesn't work.
    My heat works fine.

I know that the control panel only controls the fan, but did the mechanic do something with the temperature or is it just an old car wearing down?

I am having a hard time finding info and was told that I can replace just the defogger switch and that it plugs into the new controls. Is this correct and do you have a part number or photo? Or do I have to replace the whole thing again?

Since the parts are no longer available, no one seems to be able to find part numbers on computers. Hope you can help me.

Thanks.
  • I have been having heating problems all winter with the heater. It will blow hot air when it wonts to then right back to cold and back and forth.My heater fan is fine. I have flushed to heater core, put new thermostat in changed the coolant nothing helps. My ignition switch was acting up the car wouldn't start some times ma by take 50 trys and then start. I instiled new crank sensor not the problem. So I had a new key made $21.45 so that fixed the cranking problem.

I cant figure out the heating problem. I have worked on my on cars all my life 35 years now days thy are getting complicated.
    How many miles on the car?
    Which HVAC system does it have?
    Has the water pump been replaced?
    Which type of coolant has been in it?
    When it's running and the fan is on HIGH, and you touch both heater hoses next tot he firewall, are they nearly the same temperature or is one noticeably cooler?