Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

How The 35 mpg Law By 2020 Will Affect The Cars We Will Drive

Comments

• Options
    tpetpe Member Posts: 2,342
    Union of Concerned Scientists re-designed a Ford Explorer and showed it would be easy and relatively cheap to move it from a 21 MPG vehicle to a 37 MPG vehicle. See details here:

That article stated an mpg improvement from 21 to 27.8 mpg, not 37 mpg. Still impressive. It also stated that one of the ways this was accomplished was through a better engine. That's kind of vague. The article claimed that this more efficient vehicle had improved hauling capacity. I don't see how you can accomplish this with a less powerful engine. I think the American public would really be interested in this "better engine" if it provided significantly higher mpg with no sacrifice in power.
  • Options
    larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    Look at the last page, the chart for the three vehicles. The XSE has a 36.3 CAFE rating. The original XLT has 21.2 - an increase of of 71 percent.
  • Options
    nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    The 27 mpg Explorer has a 3.1L VTEC V-6. The 4.0 in the real Explorer for so long is a super-low-tech engine by comparison. And I do not believe the 3.1 VTEC would improve hauling-towing capacity. But I do believe it would maintain hp while providing much better gas mileage.

The XSE making 36 mpg in the UCS example was a 4-cylinder engine, wasn't it? I am sure the automakers could achieve huge fuel economy improvements in most vehicles out there, but the vehicles would be a lot slower as a consequence. And in speed-crazy America, it's a hard sell to improve a vehicle but make it slower at the same time....

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    It was a 6-cylinder engine making the exact same 0-60 time as the 4 liter engine in the XLT.

Read the PDF file again and look at the last charts on the last page.
  • Options
    andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,690
    The article claimed that this more efficient vehicle had improved hauling capacity. I don't see how you can accomplish this with a less powerful engine. I think the American public would really be interested in this "better engine" if it provided significantly higher mpg with no sacrifice in power.

Hauling capacity or towing capacity? Hauling capacity, or payload, or whatever you want to call it can be improved by beefing up the body and frame, but doesn't necessarily involve a stronger engine. For example, a 1970's Dodge Dart, with just a 100-110 hp slant six, has more payload capacity than probably any car, and most SUVs built today. The GVWR on something like that was around 4800 pounds, but they only weighed around 3200, so that's a 1600 pound spread. Today, even many full-sized body-on-frame SUVs only have about a 1300 pound spread. My '85 Silverado only has a 1400 pound spread (GVWR 5600 lb, curb weight around 4200)
  • Options
    the XSE uses a 6-speed automatic without torque converter?

And it is unibody, but then of course Ford plans to make the next Explorer unibody anyway.

And of course it has this 2.3L "stoich-GDI" engine, I don't even know what that means, but I do wonder if it will only increase cost by about $3000 as they claim. As for towing, with 40 hp less and much less weight in the towing vehicle itself, you can bet the XSE won't be tow-rated anywhere near what the Explorer is.

And if you are not going to tow, I maintain you have no business buying an Explorer or any BOF SUV in the first place - get an Edge instead! You will save gas, you will have better handling, all the same interior space, and all for less money! Now of course, the Edge is a vehicle that could stand to lose at least half a ton in weight, and probably more. :sick:

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    bumpybumpy Member Posts: 4,425
    "stoich-GDI" engine, I don't even know what that means

Stoichiometric gasoline direct injection. Basically lean burn; good for mileage but not so good for emissions, which is the primary hidden culprit in the cruddy mileage we see today.
  • Options
    tpetpe Member Posts: 2,342
    I revisited that link and it's a completely different article. If I had the inclination I could find the first article you linked to, which talked about a Ford Explorer that was modified for $600, which elevated it's mpg from 21 to 27.8. You clearlly changed the link.
  • Options
    No worries, but I really never did change that link. It was always the PDF. No biggie.
  • Options
    moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    You have something against clean air?

(we have asthma inhalers around this household, and I sort of like the idea of keeping the particulates down to a manageable level).

I have something against flawed environmental policy.

How is this for a true example?

I live in a non-attainment area for pollution levels in the air. In order to improve the air quality the EPA imposes sanctions on industry and transportation sources of pollution in the non-attainment area (where I live).
    Majority of the air pollution in my area has been determined to be from the neighboring state which is NOT subject to the sanctions because the source area of the pollution meets required pollution levels.

So you can pollute and screw up someone elses air and health and it is OK with EPA. Icing on the cake is EPA then punishes the recipients of the pollution instead of the creators of the pollution.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    In that case you have to sue the upstream folks. People die from that stuff. Here's a hot issue Idaho example: link (Google cache in case that link doesn't work).
  • Options
    smithedsmithed Member Posts: 444
    We'll still be driving cars with internal combustion engines of some sort, many as electric hybrids, other small cars with IC engines alone with small displacement engines, many diesels (if trains use diesel electric, why not us?).

Liquid fuel is just too convenient to get away from. I can see it becoming economical to convert coal to liquid fuel. We have plenty of the black rock.

:shades:
  • Options
    we should have been gradually increasing fuel taxes along the way so as to drive consumers to want more fuel-efficient vehicles. I think he has a point.

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080124/FREE/980167430/1023/- - LATESTNEWS

He also says people won't willingly transition in the next decade to the smaller and more fuel-efficient vehicles that the new CAFE law will likely necessitate that the big automakers offer. I DON'T agree with him there. He thinks they will just keep their old cars longer, but I think they will go right on replacing them at the same intervals as they otherwise would have.

And even as Lutz whines, whines, and whines some more, word is they are planning to offer more models with small turbocharged engines, which will go part of the way to helping them comply with 2020 CAFE regs. And the much-reported removal of big new V-8s from future product plans at GM has already been rescinded too, so they must think it's not ALL that hard to meet the new standards and still make vehicles people want.

Oh yeah, and he is still pushing the dead-end E85/ethanol thing as America's best solution to the problem of imported oil. Get off it GM! If you could produce anywhere near enough E85 to make a dent in the problem, you would cost consumers more between their new gas and food prices than they would save if you just built some honest-to-God efficient cars that ran on gas (or diesel) in the first place!

His remarks are in fact quite self-contradictory, as he still states that GM feels the ultimate future of automotive propulsion is electric. So get busy and make that Volt work for the street then! I know they will manage that well before 2020, and the key will be to see if they can then make its powertrain work for other larger models. Toyota will have the same problem with their plug-in Prius.

• Options
    hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    "I DON'T agree with him there. He thinks they will just keep their old cars longer, but I think they will go right on replacing them at the same intervals as they otherwise would have."

Not necessarily; if consumers are not thrilled with the cars that must be produced to meet the CAFE standards, many will simply hold on to the ones they have longer.
  • Options
    dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    I was at the PA Auto Show on Friday and I can tell you the most popular cars were the ones that got over 30 mpg. This car show is more for the consumer to window shop rather then unveiling concept cars (dealership driven rather then manufacturer driven). No one is going to continue to drive an old large SUV or other inefficient vehicle if gas hits $4 a gallon. High fuel costs are the main reason we tinkering with a recession. If gas was at $1.50 like it was in 2000, then I would agree with you.
  • Options
    gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    No one is going to continue to drive an old large SUV or other inefficient vehicle if gas hits $4 a gallon.

I think you are misreading the American car buyer. I know it will not make any difference to me what I drive. Go check out the Toyota Sequoia threads. They are way more active than the Prius or Camry hybrids. Only a few people that should not have bought a large SUV to start with will be getting rid of their big comfortable rides.
  • Options
    to think that people, dissatisfied with what's available, will hold onto their current car longer in the hopes that some great new thing will come over the horizon, but the truth is most consumers aren't even aware of how to look and see what's on the horizon. I am convinced their comfort zone for replacing their ride will be narrowly defined and strongly compelling. GM and everyone else had better be ready. That's why the time is now for them to be planning technology updates and other powertrain details to boost their fuel economy and continue at the same time to offer consumers vehicles they like and want.

• Options
    Most people I know buy another whatever they currently have. Not only the same brand and model. They go back to the same dealer. They have this idea that they can get a better deal where they have shopped before. A friend just bought two new F150s for his pest control business. I asked if he looked at the new GMC or Tundra. "Naw, I always buy from Drew Ford". Then he went on to tell me how they kind of jacked him around on the financing. People are creatures of habit.

I do think a lot more folks are considering mileage when shopping. If Corolla passes the Camry as #1 it should tell the automakers that the CamCord has gotten too big for those midsized sedan shoppers.
  • Options
    1stpik1stpik Member Posts: 495
    "I think you are misreading the American car buyer."

I have to agree. Many SUV owners buy them because they have several kids. They simply can't drive 'em all to school each day in a Prius, or even a Ford Escape Hybrid.

And, of course, pickup trucks are the only vehicles that work for contractors, farmers, and other hard working folks.

That said, I hold U.S. automakers responsible for negligence in NEVER developing an alternative method to power those trucks and SUVs. They've had several decades to do it. And high gas prices are nothing new -- we had a similar warning back in the early 1970s.

We've all been shortchanged on technological advancement.

• Options
    I should have emphasized more the "old" part. Plus large SUV and pickup sales have dipped quite a bit in the last few years. I'm not sure activity on one board or another is a good way of measuring sales and happiness. The Prius outsold the Explorer last year. The American public is looking for more fuel efficient vehicles. We've finally realized that gas is never returning to $1.50/gallon. Of course some folks will continue to hold onto vehicles, judging by some of the posts on the Smart Shopper forums, they should. Some people will have to from a financial POV. Some people will NEED pickups, large SUV, large vans, etc. But you'll see more and more people looking at the smaller cars to save money. Look at any used car lot and what do you see? A ton of SUVs collecting dust. You can get a steal on a 3-4 year old Grand Cherokee or Explorer.

I could be wrong. Won't be the first time, won't be the last.
  • Options
    I agree with you that the demand for the larger SUVs has subsided. I think folks that may have wanted an Explorer settled for an Escape or RAV4 to save on gas. To me it is a case of Americans not really knowing what they wanted in the first place when they bought a big SUV. Following the posts I find the folks buying large SUVs are demanding more luxury, size, power and flexibility. I think you can read the last 100 posts on the 2008 Toyota Sequoia and gas mileage is not an issue. Color schemes and interior quality are the biggest issues. Then power and towing capacity. Most now have a large SUV and are ready to get a new one. I cannot imagine getting rid of my Sequoia and buying say a Camry for traveling around the country. I would like a diesel SUV to get more range out of a tank of fuel. The savings is secondary to only filling once per day out on the road.
  • Options
    One of the main reasons why I think Lutz will be right is that, to comply with the new law, the new small cars will be more expensive than small cars are currently. The last time I dusted off my econ 101 textbook, higher price = reduced demand. The law of supply/demand hasn't been repealed. The question I can't answer is how much lower demand will be, or just how significant it will be; that is, a little or a lot. I don't know, but a certain percentage of people will say, "you know what, instead of trading my class C car (Focus, Corolla, Civic, Cobalt, Sentra, etc.), which I paid ~$17,000 for, and spend a similar amount, adjusted for inflation, for a 2010 direct injection, turbo class B car (Yaris, Versa, Aveo, Verve, etc.), I'll just drive my class C longer." Others will buy the class B car, and justify the purchase with fuel savings, but the first group will decide that the value just isn't there.

What I'm saying is, peoples' perceptions about size and value won't change as quickly as the new cars and pricing will, and during the adjustment period, sales will be adversely affected, by an amount to be determined. Some will look at the '09 1.4L Cobalt and wonder, "sure the power is the same as last year's 2.2 naturally aspirated one, but will the smaller engine last as long? How about maintenance and repair costs? Maybe I should wait, and let someone else be the guinea pig."
  • Options
    kernickkernick Member Posts: 4,072
    If we can just get our bureaucrats to loosen the safety and emission rules in this time of crisis, I suggest we could build a lot of these little cars for very little money. 100mpg, no parking problems, and we could double the number of lanes on any road. :) Watch the video on this link:
    http://gizmodo.com/344941/top-gear-coming-to-nbc-in-remake-form
  • Options
    Why in the name of all that is Automotive would we want to "loosen" safety and emission rules? Ever? EVER?

You do know that they are in place to keep us ALIVE, don't you?

I don't want a small, unsafe, dirty polluting little car under any circumstances, and neither should anyone else.
  • Options
    Right, we want LARGE, unsafe, dirty polluting cars.

Hey, Ford, bring back the Excursion !!

• Options
    I thought you considered CO2 pollution? A car like that puts out less than half of the CO2 as a Prius!

And as far as safety goes, if you have a large breakfast that thing can't go fast enough to hurt anyone too seriously. Even squirrels would be safe. ;) We'd just need to get everyone in that size vehicle, so there wouldn't be large vehicles to squish the little cars.
  • Options
    Based on the 2008 Sequoia i understand your POV. You're right, we don't know what we want. We buy into the marketing and advertising companies do and justify a "want" into a "need". I've said this before, My wife and i bought a 1991 and 1996 Explorer, even though we had no kids at the time. We "needed" that extra space and 4WD, just in case.

I agree diesel and more hybrids in the smaller cars is the short term solution. many people think the Prius is ugly but honestly, over half of us should be driving a vehicle that gets over 40 mpg as our daily commuter. We haven't demanded it in the past which is explains why some manufacturers are lagging. Why make what people aren't buying? There will always be people that need a pick up, SUV, large van, etc. They should have those choices. I don't want to hear someone complain about gas prices who choices to buy one of these vehicles and doesn't need the full capabilities of the vehicle.
  • Options
    >

The additional safety and emissions measures over the years have also cause a rise in car prices. Plus the standard $100 increase every quarter and model year increases.... In other words, the price of cars always goes up for some reason.

The reason I disagree is again at this auto show people were really looking hard at the fuel efficient cars. Plus you are assuming that people already have one of these class C cars. Many people have SUVs and they pale in comparison with regard to fuel efficiency.

There was little incentive for the domestic car manufacturer to invest in making a good small car. The American public did not demand it until a couple of years ago and quite honestly, they were making too much money selling large SUVs and pickup trucks. The Cobalt is very close but it took GM a long time to finally update the Cavalier into something better then a fleet and rental vehicle. I think the Civic, mazda 3, Versa, Yaris, Scion Tc, Corolla, Accord, Altima, Camry (4 cyl for the last 3) are examples of successful fuel efficient vehicles. Appealing and they get bought in bunches. many are more expensive then their GM counterpart. The Cobalt is much much better then the Cavalier. The 2008 Focus looks promising. Auto sales continue to slump each year so I doubt will have much of a hit on sales then what is already going on.

If the turbo direct injection get significantly better gas mileage then the current models, people will buy it esp. if gas stays this high. The key is the car itself must be appealing. We haven't seen that from GM until recently. I do think the turbo direct are a better short term solution then ethanol.
  • Options
    andy82471andy82471 Member Posts: 120
    How will Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Bently, Rolls Royce compete in the US by 2020 ? Not a single car from these makers come anywhere close to 35 mpg ?
  • Options
    How will Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Bently, Rolls Royce compete in the US by 2020 ?

If the new rule is anything like the current, it is not an absolute requirement to meet CAFE. If you don't meet CAFE now, the manufacturer simply pays some sort of fine/fee/whatever.

I don't believe those companies now meet CAFE. I'm sure Ferrari, Aston Martin, Maserati and Lamborghini don't meet our current CAFE rules either.

The cost for not meeting CAFE is simply passed along in the price of the car. If you have $$ you're vehicle choice will not be affected. Nor will how much you drive.
  • Options
    MB, BMW, & Audi have diesels that should easily make the grade. The E320 CDI is very close now.
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,175
    And there will be a S400 bluetec hybrid by 2010, from what I have read. MB can implement such technology across the board (for volume models) by 2020 no problem. Technology is growing.

The only stragglers will be the AMG cars - and the buyers of those can afford the penalties.
  • Options
    "There was little incentive for the domestic car manufacturer to invest in making a good small car. The American public did not demand it until a couple of years ago and quite honestly, they were making too much money selling large SUVs and pickup trucks."

They have done it in the past though. Ford's Escort was a great small car in the early 90s, and the Focus was a great small car in the early 00s. The frustrating thing with the domestics is they have proven they CAN do it, but they don't try hard enough. The Aveo is a surprisingly good (although not great) subcompact from GM. I would say the same of the Cobalt when it debuted. Now, four years down the line, Cobalt doesn't compare quite so favorably, but it could easily be the basis of a great GM compact car for '09. The Astra looks pretty darn good, another great jumping-off point for a great, fuel-sipping, small GM car (and the European Corsa too).

Chrysler is the only one that never seems to be able to do ANYTHING as far as producing a good small car.

I think all the Big 6 automakers grouse WAY more than they ought to regarding the new regs. There are some fairly cheap paths to compliance. GM, with its new idea regarding the use of small turbos, is implementing just one of many possibilities (and of course, if they can make the Volt a reality, they will be well on their way to another).

I have to believe that it wouldn't be too expensive to make Aveo/Cobalt/Focus a lot more fuel-efficient than they are too. And I am hoping that the 2010 Verve from Ford, using Mazda2 mechanicals, will be a real sipper too.

If the major automakers apply some creativity, I don't think it is a mandate that we downsize the fleet drastically to meet the new regs, as some have indicated.

• Options
    "I think all the Big 6 automakers grouse WAY more than they ought to regarding the new regs. There are some fairly cheap paths to compliance."

I agree that it's possible, but I disagree that it's fairly cheap, taken in the total context. That's because, in the short term, at least, consumers won't pay the big premiums that would be required for small cars to be as profitable as the mix of vehicles they sell now. Remember, the Big Three (which, incidentally, aren't so big anymore) are currently losing massive amounts of money in North America, and that's with lots of large vehicles in their sales mix. I think it's unrealistic to think they can improve their margins sufficiently to turn large losses into reasonable profits, all while increasing their mix of fuel efficient small cars. Anything is possible on paper, but in reality I think the domestic manufacturers, in particular, have a huge challenge. I hope they're up to it, because American consumers, not to mention the employees, stand to lose a lot if Detroit goes the way of the British auto industry. Sure, given time, everything can be worked out, but it would take many years for our economy to replace the lost jobs, and for the marketplace to offer the consumer the automotive choices we enjoy today.

Many times in the past, Detroit executives blew smoke or made misguided statements. An example is when Roger Smith answered a reporter's question of what GM's answer to the low cost Japanese imports was, and he answered, "a used Buick." That was laughable, but Bob Lutz is at a point in his life and career where he's proven himself, and can speak the truth. I believe him on this issue of small car demand and profitability.
  • Options
    But Lutz tends to make impulsive comments when things aren't going his way. How can the chief of the company developing the Volt say this new law will kill the auto industry as we know it in the U.S.? If they can get that Volt to 60 mpg (80, 100 mpg?) thay only have to sell 100K per year to offset a WHOLE LOT of gas guzzling pick-ups and SUVs, not to mention a handful of sales of big-block hi-po SS cars. Look how much CAFE credit Toyota gets from the 100-200K sales of Prius each year.

• Options
    avalon02whavalon02wh Member Posts: 785
    Not one bit according to Paul Traub. "Gas prices would have to be $13 a gallon in today's world for consumers to demand a fleet where half the vehicles achieved better than 35 miles per gallon, Chrysler LLC economist Paul Traub said after addressing the Society of Automotive Analysts this month...Americans still want to go to Wally World on the weekends, and we don't want to leave our grandmas and dogs at home, he said." (Autoinsider Tuesday, January 29, 2008) He is right you know, $13 is only about 433 percent more than $3. A 20 gallon fill would cost just $260. Do they really let dogs into Wally World?
  • Options
    I'm happy for this guy Traub. Apparently he's making so much money that $13 gas is his perceived breaking point. But he's WAY out of touch with reality.

The average american makes $30,000 per year. The average family makes less than $50,000 (U.S. census bureau). So $3 gas already cuts into most people's wallets.

The average guy is toughing out the $50 fill-ups. He's cutting back on some unnecessary expenses. But he's quietly simmering, too.

He sees the price of everything creeping up because of transport costs. He's fully expecting another gas hike to $4. He hears the gov't whine that it needs another 40 cents per gallon gas tax. He watches his property taxes go up, even as the value of his house goes down. He's making 3% interest on his savings, and watching his 401K nervously as the stock market stumbles.

He hears daily talk of impending recession, and hopes he can dodge a layoff at work. He watches college tuition skyrocket, and wonders how he'll ever pay for his kid's education.

He's worried about the future and the present. He knows he's getting squeezed. Yet, the wise men in Detroit think he'll keep buying their SUVs, even if gas goes to double-digit prices.

I'd guess that their market research consists of throwing a cocktail party at a lake-front country club, surveying all the luxury vehicles in the parking lot, then proclaiming, "Those are the cars that America wants!"

And they wonder why they're sales are in the toilet.

• Options
    You have just scratched the surface of the problem with oil products rising. I am sure there are many families in the NE that are wondering if they can afford the current doubling in price of heating oil. During the recent cold snap our Propane bill has doubled to about $100 per week. Last Summer I filled our propane tank at $1.69 per gallon. This last week it was $3.28 per gallon. We turn our heat off at night. Most folks in the USA cannot do that and not freeze to death in their beds.

I think there are many like Traub at the top of the food chain in this country that could care less if gas was $13 per gallon. It would be devastating to the bottom 95% of US.
  • Options
    My thoughts exactly. Car companies keep going after a shrinking pool of people that can afford $40k and $50K vehicles. People are resisting. More and more people are going upside down on their car loans. But the bubble is popping.

As Darth Vader once said “ Don't be too proud of this technological vehicle you've constructed. The ability to put a 500 hp motor in a 6,000 pound vehicle is insignificant when compared to the power of higher gasoline prices.”

Over the next ten years or so we will need to buy vehicles similar to what is sold in Europe. I don't think the 35 mpg requirement will change the trend.
  • Options
    andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,690
    at the DC and Philly auto shows, is that the Expedition and Navigator are no longer required to go through EPA testing. It used to be that anything with a GVWR of over 8500 pounds was exempt from EPA testing. So basically, 3/4 and 1-ton trucks and SUVs, full-sized vans, H1s and H2s, that type of stuff was exempt.

However, the GVWR of the Expedition/Navigator is "only" around 7700 pounds, well south of that 8500 lb cutoff. Did the EPA lower the threshold for 2008? Or did Ford find some kind of loophole to get these behemoths exempted?
  • Options
    tkcoloradotkcolorado Member Posts: 39
    Yeah, and most of those families will be stuck with whatever car they currently own because they can't possibly afford a new one. I may be in the minority but I drive cars until they have about 180k miles on them then consider a used replacement. I simply can't afford new ones every 3 to 5 years.
  • Options
    greenponygreenpony Member Posts: 531
    From Ford's website:

"*Due to weight and vehicle classification, Expedition EL versions are not tested in EPA cycle."

Standard-length Expeditions are rated at 12/18 in 2wd form. I guess 4wd is also above the weight threshold.
  • Options
    93gmcdrivermn93gmcdrivermn Member Posts: 24
    Anyone want to tell me there thoughts on how this law will affect the U.S. Auto makers that are already in big trouble? Also, how is this new tech that needs to be invented going to translate into cars people can afford? Ethanol is not the answer when it takes 4gal of water to produce 1gal of ethanol. Not to mention the corn it uses, that is already driving up food prices. Im all for vehicles that get better gas milage and run cleaner. But from what ive seen coming out of Detroit and Japan. I will never buy there ugly little cracker jack boxes! That are nothing more then death mobiles if they happen to tangle with me in my full size truck. (GMC/Sierra) I can not wait to see how the auto makers are going to build a full size truck that gets 35mpg without a big drop in hp for towing. Laws can and have been rewritten people. Once the people of this country stop believing the Dem's scare tactics & bogus data on global warming. We come to our sences, start drilling, stop hurting our economy by staying dependant on the middle east for oil! 'Theres global warming' its called the >Sun< it effects this planet more then man ever could. Besides maybe a nuke hollocaust.
  • Options
    ehaaseehaase Member Posts: 328
    I think some automakers - and this may possibly include some or all of the Detroit 3 - may decide just to build what they want and pay the fines. They'll try to improve fuel efficiency as much it can be done profitably, but they won't give up all of the profitable, less efficient vehicles.
  • Options
    &#147;Anyone want to tell me there thoughts on how this law will affect the U.S. Auto makers that are already in big trouble?&#148;

They will survive. The law will force them to work on something besides cup holders and 500+ hp cars. The law will probably save their bacon. If they continue on their merry way they would be in a heap of trouble when gasoline prices climb and everybody starts buying smaller cars.

&#147;Also, how is this new tech that needs to be invented going to translate into cars people can afford?&#148;

Europe already has a fleet of cars that can meet the 35 mpg rule. GM and Ford make cars in Europe. Its not a problem.

&#147;That are nothing more then death mobiles if they happen to tangle with me in my full size truck.&#148;

Sounds like you are getting a bit dramatic &#150; death mobiles! Your truck is not as safe as you think. If you tangle with a tree or semi you can still have a problem. Trucks also have a higher rollover rate. The insurance industry stats show that all vehicles have strengths and weaknesses when it comes to single car, multi car or rollovers.

&#147;Once the people of this country stop believing the Dem's scare tactics & bogus data on global warming. &#147;

Sorry, but you are wrong about the bogus data. The data is supporting increased GW by both man and nature. But after 8 years of an administration that doesn't want to hear the facts we are getting further behind in understanding the problem. We need to do more monitoring and put money into the science so we can understand what we might be facing. Can we make a change or do we need to ride out global warming? Solutions can only come after you really understand the problem.

&#147;We come to our sences, start drilling, ..&#148;

We are drilling. You need to read some of the industry oil and gas web sites and journals. They are drilling like crazy in North Dakota and other western states. They are also still trying to get the Thunder Horse rig going in the Gulf of Mexico. It should produce 250,000 bbl a day. But offshore oil is expensive. Costs can each $70 a barrel. The problem is the easy oil in the US and many parts of the world is GONE, GONE AND GONE. There are also numerous other problems that are preventing the oil industry from drilling more (worker shortages, engineer shortages, high cost of raw materials, rig shortages.....).

&#147;stop hurting our economy by staying dependant on the middle east for oil!&#148;

Not going to happen any time soon. The US increase its oil imports by 3.6 million barrels per day from 1996 to 2006. China increased their imports by 3.1 million barrels per day during the same period. We do not have nor will we have in the next ten years the capacity to produce enough home grown oil. :shades:
  • Options
    I'll take another angle at this (although I did enjoy both ehaase and avalon posts). I think GM will be fine. They already started research and development increasing fuel economy (Volt, hybrids, etc). They are doing a shotgun approach but It's an important step simply because their business model (at least in the Notrth American market) still relies on their pickups and SUVs for profit. By taking the initiative in this arena, they are setting themselves to be a leader in this area which leads to more profits down the road (technology sharing).

Ford simply does not have the cash to develop this type of technology. Plus they need to focus on just surviving. The new F150 is the most important vehicle ever for any company. the F150 is Fords cash cow esp. since the Explorer sales are in the toilet. i don't see how they can achieve the new standard without partnering with another company.

Chrysler...... I think they will be sold by this fall, either as parts or as a whole. They are looking to partner with another company to build a small car. Daimler emptied the tank before they sold to Cerebus. They are simply trimming the fat and making themselves "attractive" for potential buyers.

Global warming is for real and no I am not a bleeding heart liberal. Yes the earth has been warming since the ice age (the Sun) but our burning fossil fuel along with other practices is not helping the situation. (We are leaving our kids a nightmare to deal with) No one knows how much oil is available, accessible and more importantly, how expensive is it to get it. I posted in another forum here on Edmunds that GM had made significant progress in the 90s toward a viable electric car. But they were making so much money selling Silverados, Tahoes, Blazers, etc that they decided to stop development. Gas was $1.00 - $1.50 and no need to spend $xx billion to develop a technology that may or may not be needed. Hindsight is 20/20.

As a country, we got comfortable with the status quo. Gas was cheap and we all wanted SUVs. Who thought gas would ever reach $3? The positive thing is there appears to be several viable technologies to help meet the 35 mpg standards and more importantly, lessen our dependency on foreign oil. The Volt is exciting but Honda's hydrogen car is unbelievable. Toyota has great technology with their hybrids plus we'll see more diesel in the next few years. i agree with you regarding ethanol. The lobbyist earned their money on this one.

As I understand it, the manufacturers lineup has to meet 35 mpg not the individual vehicle. So if GM can build cars that get 40-50 mpg, they can still sell pickups that get 25 (I'm optimistic fuel economy will improve to this level if not higher). I think you'll see diesel and hybrid technology dominate the pickup arena for a while.
  • Options
    93gmcdrivermn93gmcdrivermn Member Posts: 24
    You failed to talk about two major reasons why we do not drill for more oil to lesson our dependance on OPEC. 1. Even if we could drill for lets say, 500,000 more barels a day. We have not built any refineries in this country to handle the output for what' 35years or so. I think a shortage of labor as you stated, would be nothing but a short term problem. We do not drill more for the same reason we do not use more of the cleanest energy of all. (Nuclear energy) That reason: Liberal Eco Nut Jobs! The ones that belong to the>Tree hugging, right or wrong, gain power at all cost, tax us to death, surrender monkey, N.A.F.T.A> backing, 'O' M. Lewinski baby, oral sex is sex? I didn't inhale! Universal Health Care$$$~ (DUMOCRITS) 2. I drove a Tractor/Trailor for 8 years and i'll take my chances in my full size Pickup 'Vs' a Tractor/Trailor any day of the week. Those ugly eco cars will leave you nothing but cramped! I fail to see how a average size man can fit in one of those little ugly cars? I'm 6-1' and 190-lbs and have a hard time getting out of my Monte Carlo. I look at people driving those cars on the road and shake my head thinking to myself. Fool's! What's that gas milage going to get you when your killed in a crash i walk away from in my full size truck? Now on to the Big Liberal Con Job! 'Global Warming' I remember in the 1970's it was 'Global Cooling' man's pollution was causing. Truth is, man does not know for sure and its real easy to pick and choose what environmental data to use or leave out. To reach the desired effect on the so called Global Warming models. Used For Conning the masses into fighting to Change pollicy & Laws, effecting economy, for the purpose of gaining power by weakening us over time. And God forbid impose there will uppon us all. 'Think it cant happen' I think it can and believe it is! The Arctic has gained 1/3 of the ice lossed just this year. No Hurricanes to speak of, we've had 24 days of -0 temps this winter in Minnesota that is average.
  • Options
    kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Well just to bring you into this century on a few subjects......

It is NOT the Dems or the enviro-greenies that were pushing for this increase in fuel economy. It was the Conservative Republican Administration of G W Bush that demanded the increase and pushed the Dems to pass the legislation. If you need verification look at the website of the White House and the 2007 State of the Union speech.

So lets put that silly idea aside. This has nothing to do whatsoever with any greenie idea. Now if it's not the 'Greenies' and it's not the 'Dems' and it is the current Administration then why do you think it was forced through so quickly? Any ideas?

Here's a hint: Ask yourself who does the Executive Branch rely upon to get its information in order to propose legislation? Hmmmm. Ask yourself this question then: Why would a Conservative Republican Administration run by two oilmen demand that Congress pass stricter fuel economy standards? Hmmmm.

Something doesn't make sense does it. What's going on here?

OK here's the last hint: The President created a comission back in 2001 to report on ways to reduce our usage of petro-fuel. That comission made its report to the President last July. It's first recommendation??? Take the American public out of its current SUVs and trucks and make them drive more efficient vehicles. Ask yourself WHY? Oh, it's not because Dubya suddenly saw the light and embraced everything his good buddy Al Gore has been promoting. :surprise:

Now you've entered the 21st Century. Think about why Dubya and his Veep are so hot on this subject?
  • Options
    If GM can really produce the Volt, and it really does get 60 mpg or better (and remember, CAFE compliance is based on a lab test with results that are 25% or more higher than what appears on the car's Monroney sticker), and they can manage to sell 100K or so every year, that will secure space in the lineup for a million or more gas-sucking pick-ups and SUVs making 18-20 mpg.

And those 18-20 mpg vehicles are such a good idea, huh? Sending billions of oil dollars overseas at a time when the dollar is this weak on the global market?

• Options
    kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Your hatred is getting in front of your brain.

Who has been running this government for the last 7 years - two oilmen.

If there was a need for additonal refinining capacity don't you think it would have been pushed through with this Administration and EPA run by it? But it wasn't. Now that's weird. Why wouldn't the Big Oil Companies get more refining capacity put into service since we will need to use an additonal 2-3 million bbl/day within the next 5-7 years.

Why would the oil companies NOT invest in making more money? Very strange.

Hint: They've been telling us but we have not been listening that the supply of oil is going DOWN and in the next decade it's likely to start to go down sharply. So why should they invest in new refinery capacity that can handle upto 23 million bbl/day when they see that they may only be able to source 19-20 million bbl / day. Why build excess capacity that's going to sit unused?

This is what you personally have to look forward to in the next 5-10 years. Your GMC gets about 15 mpg and uses about 25 gal to go about 375 miles. If the oil companies can't get enough oil to satisfy our growing population and millions of new drivers then we all will have to play nice and share. Instead of 25 gallon for your truck you might have to make do with only 20 gal or 15 gal once a week.

The oil companies are telling us that the easy oil is all gone and only the hardest oil is still to be developed. If they can't get it to us and there are more of us driving there's only one solution .... we all have to use less to share it with others.
This discussion has been closed.