Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Prelude 1997-2002

Comments

• Options
    obiwankenobi1obiwankenobi1 Member Posts: 290
    Sphinxy, Sphinxy, SPHINXY!!

Why did you not proceed to blow the doors off the dude??? If that ever happened to me, I would give it all I could to try to beat the
    f*#@er in a race!!

That is why my buddy icon on AIM is a picture of one dude blowing the other dude away with a shotgun and a caption that says "Kill Bad Drivers"

Next time, put the pedal the medal and make the fool look bad!!!

Obi
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,438
    Yup, almost time! Today's my last day of work in the advertising industry. I'll be tooling around in the Saab for another week or so. I've still got to have it looked at by an insurance adjuster, fixed by a shdy body shop in The Bronx, have a rep from Saab leasing come look at it, then it will be time to turn it in.

My SH will start to see daily action soon! I know it is going to take somewhat of a physical beating being parked on the streets and all, but it is a Honda and it is meant to take some abuse. I can't wait!

To humor myself the other night, I checked out the rates at some garages in my neighborhood. There's a garage next door to me that charges $475 per month (plus 18.25% NYC parking tax). Another garage up the block from me only charges $425 per month (plus NYC parking tax).

This is one of the boards I will be checking in regularly on (once or twice a week if I can). Maybe the 1000th post will be when I break the VTEC cherry:)

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    sphinx99sphinx99 Member Posts: 776
    "Why did you not proceed to blow the doors off the dude???"

Because (a) it's suburb street traffic in the morning and (b) I'm not that great of a driver. I can drive quick but whenever I really try to hit 10/10ths on straight acceleration, I routinely botch something up - misshifting, dropping the clutch too sedately or too quickly, etc. I'll happily and humbly admit that right now, I am not a Formula One racecar driver. (Gimme some paddles and I might get closer though.)

I've often wondered why people go through all manner of mods to get an extra tenth or two when most of the people involved in this are, like me, mediocre drivers. I've been driving a stick for a couple of years now and I still make mistakes, haven't quite learned how to heel-and-toe or double-clutch, still don't always execute smooth shifts, and still botch shifts at redline. I'd love to take a performance driving course someday. Me + course + Prelude would be much faster than, say, Me + no course + S2000. Probably much safer too.

I wish you a long and enjoyable Prelude experience nyc :)

Vero, you had dinner last night about two miles north of where I live! As for servicing, I haven't spent much time at suburban honda. Bought the S2k at Victory (formerly Sunshine aka Rainclouds) and the lude at Troy Honda. Sunshine Honda was a ripoff place that treated my sister pretty badly during her '01 Civic buying experience. Now that they've rebadged themselves and ejected most of the sales staff, things seem to be better.

I never did get up to Troy Acura (or whatever) and see that NSX you saw. Man, what a dream car....
  • Options
    Question - I've been experimenting with launching and smooth shifting more lately, and I've noticed that I can't quite feel the VTEC engagement in first gear in the Prelude. Is there something I'm missing? Does it not engage, or do gearing or other factors act to minimize the effect?

I ask because I definitely feel it in 1st on the S2000 and I've definitely felt it on sequential sportshift Preludes as well. The car certainly doesn't feel sluggish in 1st, but I don't feel that characteristic bump or kick. It's loud and clear in 2nd and 3rd gear. (Not sure if I've ever gone that fast in 4th to feel it.)
  • Options
    himilerhimiler Member Posts: 1,209
    You're correct. The VTEC engagement in 1st is occurring, but the feel of its effect is minimized by the gearing.

Try revving your Prelude up slowly in 1st gear, and you'll hear and feel it around 5500RPM. For fun, mash the gas pedal as soon as you hear the changeover, and check out all the wheelspin!
  • Options
    blacktalonblacktalon Member Posts: 203
    Try launching at around 3000 and flooring it. I definitely feel the extra power between 5500 and redline, but at WOT in first gear, you'll zip through that RPM range very quickly...
  • Options
    himiler, you are right - I can't believe I could get a Prelude's tires to chirp at that speed, so far up in the rev range! It didn't feel healthy for the car, however--I felt the jolt run through the car and it felt uneasy about it.

I have what is definitely a beginners question, but it's one I've never bothered to ask before. I need to get the oil changed on my Prelude and (not having a lift or anything) would rather have it done at the dealer this time around. However I'd like to keep the cost to an absolute minimum and I'm aware that dealerships tend to tack on inspections, etc., and charge more. What should I ask for, just oil and filter change, nothing more? Do any of you (who want some control over the process but don't have the means to jack the car up and change it yoruself) supply your own oil? Is it cost-effective over typical dealer rates?

Just curious what ya'll do regarding oil changes. I'm running pure synthetic at this point, Mobil 1, but would be willing to try something else if it was suggested as superior...

(The reason for the cost cutting: engagement rings and wedding arrangements are much, much more expensive than I thought they'd be! We've been "sorta" planning it for a while, but now that I'm taking the time to put numbers to ideas and dreams, well, eek!)
  • Options
    That's another cool thing about the Prelude--you can actually light up the drive wheels after it's already rolling. Just watch out for that axle hop.

Oil changes:

I use dino-oil, and get a change every 3 weeks or 5,000 miles, whichever happens first. Since you'll be going slightly longer periods without changing your oil, and are already using sythetic, I'd suggest you stick with the synthetic oil.

My Honda dealer offers an "express oil change" for $21.95 (including filter), but I usually go to a Monro Muffler-Brake shop that I've been dealing with for 6+ years. An oil & filter swap there runs me $15.00, and I could bring my own oil (synthetic or otherwise) if I wanted to, in which case they'd just charge me for disposal, the filter, and $5.00 in labor. But, since I change so often, synthetic doesn't make $$ sense for me.

You might try asking around at different shops (Firestone, Monro, your dealer) what they'd charge you if you brought your own oil to the shop. That way, if you were to find a good deal on Mobil1 at a warehouse club, you could save some decent $$. Hell, you could even order a bunch of oil filters from http://manchesterhonda.com and save a few bucks there, too!

When I get the oil changed at the dealer, that's all they do, unless I otherwise specify. That said, because it's a PITA for me to arrange my work schedule around a trip to the dealer, I usually have them do some other minor service at the same time (brake caliper servicing, coolant flush & fill, tire rotation, etc.).

Another word of advice: "Elope"

It worked wonders for our finances!

• Options
    dudkadudka Member Posts: 451
    Hi, I am considering purchasing used 97 prelude. are there any inherent things i should watch out for in the vehicle. I am very familir with honda products, but my last exposure to prelude is an 88 prelude 4ws. Currently i own a 2001 cr-v and pretty much know it inside out.
    thanks for the input
    Dave
  • Options
    How many miles?

Does this '97 have a manual tranny or the Sportshift? If it has the SS, think about a different car (they tended to have trouble when driven hard). If it's a manual, just be sure that all the gears engage smoothly when shifting, without any grinding (there was some premature synchro wear in most early cars), and that the clutch doesn't slip under hard acceleration.

Also, listen for the infamous "shock-knock," which is caused by compressed bushings in the rear shock damping units -- it's not really a problem, just loud and annoying.

There was also a recall on the front ball joints, which were troublesome. Be sure the seller has proof of this repair, and check to see if any scheduled maintenance has been performed. If the car has been serviced at a local Honda shop, go and ask the shop's service manager for a service/repair history.

Before you buy, consider asking the seller to have a leakdown (compression) test done at a good shop, along with all the other stuff a qualified mechanic can give a high-sign on.

The 5G Prelude is a great car, but like any other used vehicle, you obviously need to know what you're buying.
  • Options
    dudkadudka Member Posts: 451
    i was considering this vehicle for my girlfriend, we test drove the car, the radiator top mounts were broken, the rear did click-clank, the clutch was unusually stiff for a hydraulic clutch. even though i thought the price was right my girlfriend did not see why she should spend 10K on a used car when she could get a brand new ford focus plus 0.0% financing.
    thanks for pointers :-)
  • Options
    glad to see you guys are still keeping things going while I'm gone:)

just wanted to let you all knoe the damage cause to my Saab by rear ending a Hyundai at less than 5mph: The front bumper cap needs to be replaced (and obviously repainted), the entire front bumper assembly has to be replaced (Clips, not sure what else this involves), the radiator cracked and has to be replaced (I did drive the car for 100 miles with ZERO coolant because I couldn't open the hood:), the radiator brace has to be replaced, and the horns pushed back into the AC Condenser which is dented and has to be replaced. Total damage is a hair over $3000! All I've got to pay is my $500 deductable and insurance takes care of the rest. Thank you know who for full coverage.

Since I dropped my Saab off tonight for service tonight, tomorrow I will be driving my Prelude to and from work:) (BIG GRIN). Tomorrow will also be my Prelude's first night on the street (just a little nervous).

Sphinx99: I agree with you that I am a better than average driver, but am far from a pro. The Prelude is the first manual tranny car I've ever owned (and I'll NEVER go back to slushboxes) I will be getting quite familiar with my clutch when I start atempting to parallel park tomorrow night.

I love driving to work every day and not taking the subway! It will get even better once the Prelude becomes my daily driver!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    Yo! How's the new job working out?

No big surprise on the $$ amount for your Saab -- a guy recently bumped the rear of our Subaru, and it was nearly $1300 for just a bumper cover and paint! And people wonder why insurance costs so much in NY...

Have fun with your SH, doing the daily grind. I'm about to roll up on 80,000 miles in my car, and it still goes like stink (of course).
  • Options
    I took the lude out on a grand tour of Chicago for the past several days. Other than parking it in the various sketchy areas where some of my friends live, it performed flawlessly. Unfortunately I had to waste $40 on a club because one of my friends lives in a not-so-hot neighborhood filled with souped up Integras and Civics. Having to park a freshly detailed silver SH (STOCK) in that land of modded Hondas had me feeling very nervous. I was convinced that I'd wake up in the morning, go downstairs and find the engine missing, or worse. He thought the Club would provide sufficient deterrent for the 8 hours it'd be sitting there on the street.

I'm having a serious problem with the car that just emerged last night. When I remove the key from the ignition, Prelude thinks the key is still in the ignition. Therefore, if the doors are open, the chime keeps ringing and the car doors won't lock. I can close the door and the chimes will stop, but then I can't lock the door with the automatic fob thingy.

I need to head out to the car and see if the gremlin disappeared overnight. Otherwise, I will be experiencing my first "problem" with a Prelude in about seven years of owning them... eek!

I assume nobody has heard of this particular thing happening on the Prelude?
  • Options
    jsh139jsh139 Member Posts: 42
    Not on a lude, but the same thing happened with my Eclipse. It would go away if I pushed on the ignition lock (where the key goes :). It would make this "click" noise. Never did fix it. Sold it like that.
  • Options
    Dealer advised that it might be a piece of dust that got lodged into the keyhole. He said this happens every now and then. He suggested grabbing a can of compressed air and trying to blow loose whatever may be stuck in there. If that fails, the next step may prove to be much more invasive...
  • Options
    It's mad at you for parking it in a bad neighborhood! That has GOT to be it!!

Obi
  • Options
    I wouldn't blame it. Even the BMWs had grapefruit launchers wherever it was that I stayed. (Well, one did.)
  • Options
    In addition to the damage I described above, the body shop found some more damage once they took the car apart. One fog light assembly has to be replaced, the headlight wiper motors and arms need to be replaced, there was some frame damage, and there's a dent in the hood that neccessitates fixing and repainting. Oh well, what's another $1800? So that brings the grand total of my 5mph accident to almost $5000. Can you imagine if I was going faster and the air bags deployed and the front fenders were dented?

So I've been driving for a little over 10 years and up until a few weeks ago I managed to not cause an accident. Up until tonight I managed to not get a speeding ticket in that time frame either. So after crawling through bumper to bumper traffic for about 20 minutes, some road opened up before a toll plaza and I was actually able to get the car out of second gear. I was driving about 70mph with the flow of traffic and got nailed by an unmarked NYC highway patrolman. You say, oh, 15 over isn't too bad. Alas, due to the dense population of my fair city, the posted speed limit is 50mph! It was raining out and I wasn't weaving in and out of traffic like a lunatic, just comfortably cruising. Oh well, let that be the worst thing to ever happen to me in my Prelude.

My car just hit the 900 mile mark tonight. I'm cathcing up to you himiler, slowly but surely:) I absolutely love the car. The handling amazes me on a daily basis. I'm still taking it easy (slowly pushing up to the magical 5200 RPM mark). The Prelude is a comfortable highway cruiser and is very easy to drive in traffic. I saw a guy in a red 4th gen with exhaust, no spoiler, and altezza lights fly by me, hit the hazzards, and wave out the sunroof to me the other night. The other morning I got the thumbs up from a guy in a black 5th gen w/o spoiler. Of course I always return the gesture. I can't tell you all how happy I am that my dealer was able to locate this car for me. I hope to get many (10?) years of enjoyment out of it.

My new job is absolutely wonderful. I look forward to going to work every day (not just because I get to drive the SH). I feel very lucky that I get to work for my father and that I've got such a great opportunity.

• Options
    mdirectormdirector Member Posts: 1
    First post – I’ll apologize in advance for any stupid question(s) and long post.

Now that the kids are a bit older and we have a new Rendevous for the major payloads, my wife has decided she’d like a sport coupe for her 3 day a week commute and Monday night golf outings. Long story short, all the research I’ve done (price range/ reliability/ handling/ owner sat) points to Honda. And – ooh la la – sounds like a blast to drive from what I’m reading on the boards..

Originally decided to look at 99 Accord Coupes, when I came across what appears to be a pretty clean 98 Prelude (private sale - I believe its an SH, but not sure yet – seeing on Sat and the listing didn’t say) with 48k miles (young couple, new kids/no room). Says wife adhered to recommended maint w/ records/ back forth to work primarily. Asking $14.9k.

Questions:

· I saw comments related to the sport shifter (has it) – what is it and are issues widespread or spotty?
    · Requires Premium gas? Mileage expectations? Guess I have to ask owner, but I suspect like most average owners they probably ran regular… is that a deal killer?
    · Noticed 2 recalls (ball joints & electrical) and 34 TSB’s – obviously will chk to see if/what they have completed. Are recalls performed at no cost for 2nd owners as well, or only primary owners? (:-/
    · Any suggestions for warning signs / potential problems? Things to watch for?

I have to admit I love the look and what I have read. Can’t wait to drive it. Trying not to make an emotional decision, but an informed one (for a change ;-))

Any and all comments/suggestions welcomed.
  • Options
    kenjabikenjabi Member Posts: 76
    I'll answer what I can for you.

The Sport Shift is basically Prelude's version of an automatic transmission. You can put it in a "manual" mode where you can up or down shift at your leisure, but it's still not the same as a good 'ole manual stick shift. Also, if the car has this, then it's definitely NOT an SH (those only came w/ 5 speed manuals).

It does require Premium gas. I haven't tested mileage in a while, but last I checked I got around 25 mpg in "spirited" suburban DC driving. I THINK that if the original owner ran regular and you start putting premium in, it should be ok. Hopefully the owner actually read on the instrument gauge where it says "Premium fuel only", and you won't have to worry about it.

I don't know the answer to your question about recalls, but as for warning signs, I know people here have talked about the rear suspension "thumping" when going over speed bumps or unusually bumpy roads. I think that's normal, although I barely notice it if it's there on mine. Also, keep in mind it's a front wheel drive with a 200hp engine, so you'll probably feel a little torque steer (though I've felt worse).

Good luck, and if you get the car I'm sure you won't be disappointed!
  • Options
    27-31 mpg on the highway (depending on my right foot). Never run an octane lower than 91, if you can help it. If the car has been fed a steady diet of less than 91, there is the chance that there could have been some fuel pre-ignition (depending on how the car was driven). Given the fact it was a commuter-mobile (with the auto tranny), it's a safe bet the car was never run that hard, and should be undamaged.

Unless you absolutely must have the autobox, avoid it. Too many problems with this type of Honda tranny are surfacing: even Acura TL/CL buyers with the SportShift are having troubles and experiencing higher-than-average failure rates. In an attempt to resolve these issues, Acura has extended tranny warranties out to the 100,000-mile mark for their owners with SS trouble.

Even Honda has done out-of-warranty rebuilds for Prelude owners on a case-by-case basis, so there's a general acknowledgment of the potential for problems.

Good luck!
  • Options
    Unfortunately venting the keyhole with compressed air didn't fix the problem I was having earlier. The car still thinks that there is a key in the ignition at all times. The steering column will be going in for surgery tomorrow afternooon... first Prelude service. *sigh*

On a trip out of town recently (550 miles, 75mph on highways) I averaged 28mpg both ways. The engine was spinning just a tad south of 4k rpm.
  • Options
    I hit 1000 miles on the way home from work yesterday. unfortunately it was in traffic and I didn't get a chance to open it up. I'm still waiting patiently:)

I picked up my Saab from the body shop yesterday and am thoroughly impressed with the work that was done on the car. My theory on body shops is that 95% of them do sub-par to shotty work.

So after picking the Saab up from the body shop and having a little less than 800 miles to go until lease turn in, I figure I'll just drive it. Given the sombering experience of my recent speeding ticket on Tuesday and accident in the past month, I was driving on the cautious side (not old lady in a gold Camry slow, but 5-10mph over on the highway). I'm in the center and move left to pass a 1st generation lexus LS400 who is in the center lane (TOTHAMAX vanity plate). I get my fender ahead of him and hear a horn blowing. I look over and see the guy moving into my lane giving me the finger. I'll be the first person to admit if I've done something wrong, but I was driving along. The guy cuts me off, and I swerve into the left shoulder to avoid him. He speeds up to about 80 or 90mph and I'm recovering from my swerve and accidentally hit the brights. he slams on his brakes to the point that I see the rear end of his car lift up and I slammed on my brakes to the point that my ABS kicked in on the highway. I pulled into the far right lane when it was safe to do so and I see the guy swerve from the far left lane into the right lane. He gets off the exit in front of me, still giving me the finger. I still have no idea what prompted this guy's action. It left me pretty shaken up. Once I was able to stop shaking, I called the police from my cell phone. They said there is nothing they could do unless he hit me or an officer witnessed the event.

• Options
    I guess he takes his road rage TOTHAMAX, huh.
  • Options
    Looks like this guy in the White lexus should get together with the well mannered young gentleman you encountered in the White SH last week!

• Options
    No VTEC yet? What are you, some kind of monk?! Isn't the suspense killing you? If you're worried about another ticket, just floor it in second and then back off in third. JUST DO IT!

As for the jerk in the LS400 (old lady-mobile), I can pretty much guess what he takes to the max (and where he takes it)!
  • Options
    That's how stuff gets out of hand, resulting in loss of property or life.

I get jerked around every day by some shlub who thinks he/she rules the road, The best bet is to let it go and chuckle. Otherwise, you'll get an ulcer or something worse.
  • Options
    It irritates the hell out of me sometimes!!!

I JUST WANNA EXPLODE!!!! See? See how angry bad drivers make me? I am not even on the road and my blood is boiling.

I wonder if I have high blood pressure?

Obi
  • Options
    I can sympathize, but the fact remains that crappy drivers don't MAKE you angry, you just let yourself become enraged by them.

Focus on the important stuff, such as the fact that the bozo in the the other car didn't kill you as he/she cut you off without so much as a turn signal.

"The doctor is IN"
  • Options
    karl7777karl7777 Member Posts: 12
    I'm buying a new Accord. Not sure what to do with my 89 Prelude 2-dr S coupe 5-spd. 155k. One dealer offered $100 in trade-in.

No AC, no power anything (except brakes & steering), Am/Fm/Cassette.
    New radiator, timing belt, water pump, battery & cables, muffler, exhaust pipes, etc. No accidents while I've owned it (7 yrs).
    It's blue, has one rust spot about the size of a deck of cards.
    Power steering has a leak. After refilling, it lasts about 2 weeks.
    The big problem is the driver's side door has to be replaced. Doesn't open. Idiot mechanic tried to fix by welding lock in place.

Otherwise, I drive it to and from work with no problems.

I can't keep it for long after I get the new car because of insurance issues.
    Are there sportscar people who would jump at the chance to get their hands on an 89 Prelude even in the above condition? How do I find them?

thanks!
  • Options

I think I am starting to feel better already. How much do I owe you for the therapy session?
    ;-)

I think as long as I am not behind the wheel of a car, then I am fine. :-/

Obi
  • Options
    Maybe you could donate it and get some kind of write-off?

Try listing the car for sale as a "tuner's special--great potential" or maybe a "winter rat" and ask for $300-500. I'd bet it will make some kid a great first car (just don't mention the insurance).

Obi--no charge for a fellow road warrior.
  • Options
    linardlinard Member Posts: 59
    On Thursday at 430, my flawless Ficus Green Prelude was rear ended by a 95 Camry going 40. The Prelude was launched 20-25 feet into the intersection but thank goodness the light just changed so no cars were coming. The amazing thing is that the Prelude did really well in the accident, the trunk lid is almost undamaged, but the bumper structure and right rear quarter panel are goners (the bumper mounting point was pushed back 7 inches). The Camry, suprisingly, did much worse. The engine was pushed up against the firewall and the driver's side door was jammed since the whole front end collapsed. I had to pull on it pretty hard to get it to open. The driver's arms were lacerated from the airbag and the airbag doors on the wheel but at least her face and chest weren't injured. The Camry was so totalled that even the hazard lights wouldn't work. Some stupid driver started honking behind it 10 minutes later, not noticing the ambulance and police cars surround us, but then again, she was on her cell phone... I have to admit, the Prelude's a solid car, it didn't appear that the Camry and Prelude were in the same accident, the damage on the two cars was that different! However, it's going to take 4,000 to fix the Prelude (and they keep finding more damage) and I'm hoping it will look ok as I'm sure everyone knows how body shops are now. They're like huge factories, cranking out repairs. The one consolation is that while Allstate (I hate them) requests body shops to use "lesser" aftermarket parts in order to save costs, the body shop says they don't exist for the Prelude so OEM parts are the only way to go. So for the next three weeks, I am driving a Hyudai Accent with a whopping 92 horsepower. Took 12 seconds to get to 60! The funny thing is the body shop thought my car was a 2001, they were amazed at how wonderful the other parts of the car looked... Too bad Klasse doesn't protect against accidents!
  • Options
    I'm glad to hear that you're ok. $4000 in repairs sounds astonishingly low for a car that was rear-ended so hard...
  • Options
    linardlinard Member Posts: 59
    Yeah, I was completely surprised by the difference in damage between the Camry and the Prelude. I think the problem was the Camry hit the right 24 inches of the rear and came upon the intersection of two significant supporting structures in the Prelude. I'll post pics when I get them.

BTW - my tranny was acting up the day after and my moonroof wasn't opening and closing very well.
  • Options
    Glad to hear that you're OK and not injured. Rear ended at 40mph from a standstill, that's rough. $4000 is pretty low for a car that was rear ended at that speed. I recently rear ended someone going less than 5mph and caused alost $5K worth of damage to my Saab.

Speaking of my Saab, one week from today it goes back to the dealership and starting Friday morning, my Milano Red SH will be my daily driver. The suspense is killing me!

Happy Thanksgiving everybody!

• Options
    We just got 6+ inches of snow in the Detroit area. The Prelude wasn't happy at anything more than 10-15mph for much of it, but somehow it managed. What especially impressed me: whenever the tires seemed to lose a little traction (and this was often) the car's nose remained straight. The only problem was a brief but consistent veering to the right whenever accelerating from a stop. Might this indicate an alignment or other issue?
  • Options
    cowboy019cowboy019 Member Posts: 17
    I had the same problem with my old Integra running all-seasons in the snow. Always to the right... then I decided it might be because the street just slopes to the right. That was my theory at least.

It's been a rough winter so far, and the Prelude has impressed me tremendously. The thing I love in this car is that the steering is so responsive, I can adjust immediately, as soon as I sense the wheels losing their grip.

This car rules.
  • Options
    We got 9 inches of the white stuff dumped on us here in New York. Of course we get our first major snow storm in 2+ years and it has to be on the day I'm supposed to turn my lease in:( Oh well, I'm stuck with the Saab until Saturday (things could be worse:) Definitely Saturday night I'm going to be driving the Prelude full time.

I decided to come home with my Dad tonight so I don't have to hunt for a parking space on the street and dig my car out in the morning. So I had to move my Prelude from the driveway into the street when the plow guy came to do the driveway. I was pleasantly suprised at how easily it got moving with (The snow also isn't packed, but fresh). There was some wheel spin, but the car got going. It even made it up the driveway (steep) in second gear and was controlled when I drove it around my unplowed block. I'm still going to wait until next year to buy a set of winter wheels/tires.

• Options
    hgileshgiles Member Posts: 66
    What kind of tires are on your Preludes? I am buying winter or all-seasons for my 98 Prelude SH because it snowed here in St. Louis and I almost died driving on Bridgestone RE 730's. I knew I should not have done this, but I was a little naive about just how bad they would be.
  • Options
    I have the stock Bridgestones. I'm trying to get through this winter without dying. This is one of the few times where the car actually handles better with more people in it. The other week, with snow on the ground and three people inside and the trunk filled with stuff, the Prelude actually handled reasonably well.
  • Options
    cowboy019cowboy019 Member Posts: 17
    Goodyear Ultra Grips - highly recommended.
  • Options
    acgpsacgps Member Posts: 1
    My 95 5 spd Prelude Si is not idling as it should. It has 79000 miles on it. When idling the engine revs constantly from 1000 to 1500 rpms. It always does it when cold and sometimes does it after it has warmed up. During normal driving (in gear) there is no revving problem. The engine is strong. I really love this car. Any ideas what this problem might be?

Thanks
  • Options
    I'm no mechanic, but since the car is running fine otherwise, it might just be that your car needs the idle speed adjusted. I'd suggest you schedule an appointment with your local Honda shop -- they'll know the engine best.
  • Options
    Having recently switched over to my 195/60-15 Alpins, I can't believe how much steering feel my S-03's were filtering out. Although the levels of grip are far lower, the car's steering actually feels quicker. I'm not sure that I'll buy the S-03's again when they're worn out.

I'd love winter driving almost as much as summer driving if everyone else were equipped with proper tires. I'm always looking for the next guy to spin and wreck me, too. The Quaife sure helps things when roads are slick, but nothing beats the fun I have in my 2.5RS w/four Blizzaks. Wheee!
  • Options
    qxpqxp Member Posts: 2
    Alright, I live on the Gulf Coast, so I don't ever have to worry about snow tires ;)

But, I am glad to hear that the Prelude drives so well in the snow. What kind of tires do you run on your Prelude when it's not snowing out? And not for track usage. I've got to replace my Kumho Ecstas with something, and wanted a little advice.

• Options
    blacktalonblacktalon Member Posts: 203
    I have S-03 Pole Positions, and I love them. The grip is fantastic on both wet and dry roads, and I have to disagree with himiler, in that I haven't noticed any reduction in feedback with the S-03s vs. Arctic Alpins (which I use for winter driving). Though I run the stock size 205/50-16s for both, and that might have something to do with it.

To me, the feedback seems slightly, but noticeably, better with the S-03s than the stock RE92s -- and the grip and responsiveness are far superior...
  • Options
    chillenhondachillenhonda Member Posts: 105
    in response to "prelude problem". I have a 99 prelude and previously owned a 91 accord coupe. At about 125,000 miles the Accord's idle would fluctuate between 1000 and 2000 rpms if i did a few things 1) revved it while it was cold and warming up during the "fast idle" 2) was driving awhile at a set speed, like on the highway, and put it in neutral to coast or something. The prelude, with 60,000 miles does it, has done it 2 or 3 times since ive owned it (2 years). Both only do it when it is cold outside. Two dealers have told me that it has something to do with the cooling system, although they arent sure what. Sorry this wasnt of too much help.
  • Options
    axp696axp696 Member Posts: 90
    Looking through the 2001 models on Edmunds, the only difference I can find between the STD and Type SH is a limited slip differential. What else is there that justifies the $2000 difference?