Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

MB M-Class Owners: Meet the Members

124»

Comments

• Options
    needyouradviceneedyouradvice Member Posts: 7
    Hello. I have never posted before so please forgive me if I am violating posting protocol. And if I am posting in the wrong place, please let me know.

The M Class suvs look wonderful to me but I have read bad reviews regarding reliability issues so I am hesitant to buy one. I am afraid of buying an expensive lemon. I am a housewife in Houston. I rarely do freeway driving, most of my driving is from stop light to stop light, so performance is not an issue but reliability is. I am seeking an attractive, reliable midsized suv. I am trying to avoid Lexus b/c everyone in my neighborhood drives an RX or GX.

I'm also interested in the BMW 3x and Volvo xc90.

Again, please excuse my lack of forum savy. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions that you have to offer. Thank you in advance.
  • Options
    lorryfanlorryfan Member Posts: 76
    needyouradvice -

I own a 2002 ML 320 with about 31K miles and so far only minor issues, like exterior bulb going out/nasty smell from air vents (had to change the air filter). Having said that the ML has been plagued with all sorts of problems. My ML has attempted to stall three times at the stop light, luckily it held on. I had the dealer fixed other problems by installing a software that controls the vehicle so it wouldn't jerk when the lights turn green at the stop light.

The vehicle wobbles/vibrates when idling at times and this was attributed to an out of sync harmonic balancer (there was a recall for model years up to 01). The ML is also prone to squeals and squeaks; am not sure it's the same in the 06 model.

Other than what I've listed here, my ML has been pretty good, I love the ride and I love my car, but that's just only a tiny fraction of the story....others have reported consistent reliability problems and sure enough it's a prestigeous vehicle you wouldn't expect a long list of problems from a nameplate like Mercedes-Benz.

I know this probaly didn't help you, but you may or may not experience most of the problems reported here. I really like the Volvo xc90 since its very reliable. You may want to wait for the 07 model as MB is trying to fix most of the reported issues in the 06 model.

Good luck in your decision making....
  • Options
    needyouradviceneedyouradvice Member Posts: 7
    Thank you so much, Lorryfan, for taking the time to type out such great inside scoop for me. Your post is a tremendous help to me and I appreciate it!!!
  • Options
    Am glad I was able to help...
  • Options
    jerryrhoadsjerryrhoads Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 ML350 and the voice / beep don't seem to be working. I checked that the mute is off. Do I need a new DVD or is the NAV system getting ready to die?
  • Options
    jerryrhoads -

Is your ML still under warranty? if it is, then you may want to get the dealer to take care of the NAV issues before it's too late. Also am not sure if you are aware of the MB certified pre-owned warranty. This is an additional 2-year warranty, same as the 4yr/50k warranty that came with the vehicle. Get your dealer to do the MB 120-point inspection check and after that MB will extend the warranty to another 2years....This is not known to many MB owners and the dealer will not openly share this info with you....it doesn't matter whether you purchased the vehicle new or used.

Now back to your NAV system issues, I have read so many negative posts about the NAV and the problem you're experiencing could be due to a combination of many factors. MB's NAV system has been particulary plagued with defects and not so surprisingly the same issues have cropped up in the 06 models. Some owners are actually looking for older model NAVs to replace the new ones since they just don't work!!! I have not experienced this issue in my ML 320 so am not able to provide any technicalities as per the symptons you're seeing....Let your dealer handle that if your warranty is still good - otherwise get the free additional 2year warranty to cover that.

Good Luck...
  • Options
    jerryrhoadsjerryrhoads Member Posts: 2
    Apparently the Dealer has to re-program the NAV, according to mbusa is it should be free --I've heard anywhere from $56 to $150 USD. It appears the the Teleaid system is offline too. I have an extended warranty that will take me to 80K. Is it possible to extend after the 80K? Thank for the information
  • Options
    I have an extended warranty that will take me to 80K. Is it possible to extend after the 80K?

The MB CPO extendended warranty program is good for 2yr/100K miles whichever one comes first. So after your original warranty runs out, be sure to take advantage of this free EW....you may want to get all the paperwork done say a month prior to the original one running out.
  • Options
    loyalownerloyalowner Member Posts: 8
    I don't know if I'm too late to help you with your decision but here is my "two cents" worth. First, I am a loyal MB owner having just recently purchased my 6th MB in the last 10-12 years. I presently own a 2002 ML500 (SUV)and a 2005 E320CDI (diesel sedan), plus my mother has a 2002 E320 4-Matic. In the past I have had a 1994 E320 Wagon, 1992 400SE and a 1998 E320 4-Matic Wagon.

You need to decide what your priorities are. If you are not going to tow a trailer or do "serious" off roading then I would stay away from any "body on frame" type SUVs (like 2005 & earlier M-Class vehicles) - the ride is just too punishing (truck like) for my liking. If you still want that SUV image then do a "current" M-Class (unibody construction) as it will drive and feel more like a car than a truck. The best driving (and most fuel efficient) vehicle of the bunch will be an E-Class wagon (E320/E500 w/ or w/o 4-Matic). The most "exclusive" may be one of the new R-Class "cross over" vehicles - particularly if you need a legitimate 3rd-row seat. Both the E- and R- class have the 4-Matic system so you can get the AWD advantages without sacrificing the comfort and fuel efficiency you would give up in an M-Class.

Lexus vehicles don't impress me at all so I think you'll be happy with your decision to go with MB (Engineered Like No Other Car In The World!).

Loyal Owner
  • Options
    jimt172jimt172 Member Posts: 1
    I have coins stuck behind the ashtray..... actual ashtray liner removed...... using compartment for parking lot change. Some coins found their way behind the tray. Tray will not operate properly as long as coins are there. I cannot figure how the tray comes out. I would be grateful for any suggestions.
    Thanks,
    Jim
This discussion has been closed.