Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    shady_treeshady_tree Member Posts: 3
    Seems pretty decent assuming its an automatic
  • Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Hate that Honda went down to 15" rolling stock from the 16" on the previous generation...love my 16"ers on my '06 LX...a composed, smooth ride and much better than my kids 15" ones on their cars. Honda needs to find other places to cut costs. Also don't like the steering wheel or the cheapy looking wheel covers. Do like the alloys on the higher trim levels though, much better than the 2010's or 2011's. A great compromise was the LX-S edition...nicer seat fabric with a leather wrapped steering wheel...classier looking to boot. From what I've seen, this Civic will probably be my last Honda! The Koreans seem to be like the Honda of the '90's, coming out with great cars that folks wanna buy...and the Elantra just blows the Civic out of the water...it is the new benchmark in the compact class!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    tuncerkahramantuncerkahraman Member Posts: 2
    Yes it is automatic.
  • Options
    chadomacchadomac Member Posts: 1
    I've been trying to get quotes by email so I don't have to deal with dealers at the dealership, and my best offer for a base model 2012 Civic with automatic transmission is $15,200 plus taxes and fees.

Does this number mean nothing until I see what their "fees" are? What do I need to watch out for? This is my first new car purchase and I was planning to ask for the "final total price" next.
  • Options
    stevenq99stevenq99 Member Posts: 36
    Seems like the interest rate is high or the DMV fees are high. Honda is running 1.9% the payment should be around 250
  • Options
    stevenq99stevenq99 Member Posts: 36
    edited December 2011
    remember a base civic has no AC, cruise, power locks or radio. Might want to specify a LX if you want those things.
  • Options
    civictorycivictory Member Posts: 73
    chadomac,

Be aware of dealer add-ons. Honda dealerships often refer to these as the "Protection Package" or "Pro Pack." What's included varies by dealership, but usually it's things like wheel locks, window tint, trunk tray, mud flaps, etc. The quotes you receive from dealerships often don't include the add-ons.

If there are add-ons you want, I would suggest either negotiating those (they're often over-priced from the dealer... it's a profit generator for them) or just tell the dealer you don't want any add-ons and purchase/install them on your own after you buy your car.

Good luck!
  • Options
    cars2luvcars2luv Member Posts: 4
    I just paid $16700 (including destination) + 7% + $399 doc fees + $299 (DMV fees) = 18500 Out the door price. Do you think it is good price?

This is for 2012 Civic LX Automatic
  • Options
    ken117ken117 Member Posts: 249
    You paid $399 for document fees! You do know this is nothing but pure profit to the dealer. All that is done for that money is for the dealer to have a $10 an hour administrative person take or send the documents, already completed by the F&I person, to the DMV. For fifty dollars this may be desireable but certainly not for $399.

Why car buyers pay such an outrageous amount to dealers, for basically nothing, is not explainable. I have never, ever run across a dealer who would lose a sale over a document fee.
  • Options
    rajinusrajinus Member Posts: 1
    $17900 + taxes and fees = 19950 OTD

purchased 8 year warranty for a $1000 more
  • Options
    maiden4evermaiden4ever Member Posts: 2
    Where in NJ did you get this car? I am too looking for 2012 Civic LX. So far received a quote for $16,710 w/o destination. Thanks.
  • Options
    newcar45newcar45 Member Posts: 15
    Got a OTD price quote through email of $19.2k.

Seems like a good price, but I'm surprised to see some people are getting prices even lower ($18.5k).
  • Options
    ksternosksternos Member Posts: 14
    Just got the bait & switch:

This morning, over the phone, Alexandra quoted me a price of $14,500 for a 2012 Honda Civic LX with manual transmission which she said would be arriving within a week. I called back to confirm that the quote was for an LX and she confirmed that fact. Since we had a great buying experience at this dealership in 2006, my husband and I drove 25 miles with the intention of buying the car. When it was time to talk about payment we were told that we had to pay an additional $995 for an "appearance" package which only included rubber door guard strips and pin striping tape. We explained that the price of $14,500 was what we were there for and that's the price that was quoted. After two attempts, the sales person said they will honor the price of $14,500 without the additional $995 package. The sales person then had us wait at least 30 minutes while our trade-in was valued. When he returned to us we were informed that the "big boss" will not allow the $995 to be dropped from the sale. We got up to walk out and he spoke to the "big boss" again who denied the request. I then spoke to the "big boss" himself, Eddie Amorin, the general sales manager and explained that I am a repeat customer and how disappointed I was that this wasn't working out. He told me that he never OK'd dropping the $995 and when I asked if the sales person lied to me his reply was "You must have misunderstood." He then told me to get out of the dealership and that he didn't care about wasting 2 hours of my time or the salesman's time.
  • Options
    abcdefghijkabcdefghijk Member Posts: 1
    Before you accuse him for paying a $400 dealer fee, you need to get your facts straight. Basically he's paying $16,700 plus $400 for a total of $17,100 for a 2012 Honda Civic LX automatic. Check all posts in this forum and no other people came even close to that number. It's just how dealers work their numbers so they can put that $400 in their pockets instantly. $17,100 is the price you should be caring. Hack, I didn't even see a person posting here could get a $17,100 plus dealer fees for the same car hes getting.

I just want to post here that my friend just signed a same deal as him for the exactly same car. $16,700+$400 plus sales tax and DMV from a different dealer. The exactly same 2012 civic lx auto. With 0.9% financing for 3 years thru Honda. Just want to let everybody know it's possible. I think it has something to do with this time of the year. Some dealers are pushing really hard to score few more sales for calendar year 2011.
  • Options
    I was only trying to negotiate on the OTD price, and i got $18500 in NJ and is not bad after doing a lot of research. He reduced the price of Car instead of dealer cost, which saved me a few more dollars on the tax.
  • Options
    hondawalahondawala Member Posts: 1
    I am from Texas, and I am interested in buying a 2012 Civic sedan- LX. I received a drive-out price of $19,000 (including tax, title, license, and other fees, etc). Does that seem like a good deal? Please post your comments.
  • Options
    newcar45newcar45 Member Posts: 15
    edited January 2012
    That sounds terrible! Sorry to hear you had such an awful experience.

I purchased my Honda Civic 2012 LX automatic last week sometime. Paid only $19.2k OTD for it.

In SoCal the tax and fees come to about 11% of the base price so I ended up getting a base price of $17,088. Pretty good deal, but I wouldn't be surprised if I could have gotten slightly better.

The original salesperson said I had to finance to get an OTD price of $19.2 and I basically balked. I remember reading that the salesperson can't require the buyer to finance or pay cash; it should not affect the negotiated sale price.

I had a hunch that the salesman messed up when he immediately followed up with another email after we got off the phone.

Fortunately, I had a few dealerships in SoCal who were offering to sell a Civic LX for $19.2k, and just went to another dealership. Hardly any negotiation; we spent more time picking out a color and there was some mixup finalizing the paperwork so we still waited a few hours.

They were very apologetic when we complained that we had been waiting for about an hour and got us done within 30 minutes, but I chalked it up to the fact that we had gotten a good deal and already paid. No offering of coffee, coke, or donuts to someone who paid so little.
  • Options
    veerenveeren Member Posts: 64
    Hello All,
    Firstly Happy New Year to all readers.
    I'm thank full to all the guys who write on these forums, i have contributed some as well.

Recently my wife got into accident (fortunately she is safe) and the other Civic 2005 LX got totaled.
    So we are in market again, and we were thinking of Civic again, we are looking at (mildly) used and new cars, looking at Craigslist and other places, looks like there is hardly any difference between used and new (honda) cars, so I'm thinking what should I do?

What are you guys suggest?

Cheers,
    Veeren
  • Options
    lynnske2012lynnske2012 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Veeren,

If you can afford it you will want to get a new car and include gap coverage since you have totaled a car before. I was glad I had that kind of coverage when I totaled a 2005 Malibu. It paid my car off for what was left dollar-wise.
    I have a new Civic, liking it much better than the 2007 Suzuki Forenza I traded in to get it. I felt like I was trading up to a luxury vehicle!
  • Options
    Hello lynnske2012,
    Thanks for your opinion, i got a used car today... its again a Honda Civic 2008 LX 4door, with 30K miles, for 11,600 + tax and fees, i know its not really too good a deal, but new car was costing around 17,500 minimum and i was thinking may be we should not put too much money into it.

Thanks
    Veeren
  • Options
    mem999mem999 Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking to buy one but I'm not sure what I should be paying? What's the price for a basic car and where in the Bay Area did you get your car (or recommend) getting the car?

Thank you
  • Options
    newbie2carsnewbie2cars Member Posts: 15
    Yay or nay? The EX-L is in Alabaster silver (my least fav color but oh well) and the dealer is giving a 18K OTD price. I'm a sucker for leather seats. But it also seems that I could go with a EX and get the leather seats installed afterwards? What are your thoughts?
  • Options
    msocie123msocie123 Member Posts: 2
    Looking to purchase a 2012 Honda Civic Coupe LX in the Union, NJ area. Please provide me with best pricing offers for this vehicle - What are the fees and the amounts I should pay?
    Any help is greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    uga91uga91 Member Posts: 1,065
    If this is your least favorite color, I say Nay. You've got to look at this car every day and it's worth a few more dollars to get the color you like.
  • Options
    uga91uga91 Member Posts: 1,065
    This is just a FYI...I know it's not new, but we just bought a 2010 Civic EX sedan with 33k miles for $15,800 yesterday in Buford, GA (metro Atlanta). Looking around at what's out there on used Civics, I am very happy with that price.
  • Options
    akash00akash00 Member Posts: 3
    hey... where in NJ did you buy this car from.
    you can email me - most wanted akash @ gmail .com
  • Options
    kimo6kimo6 Member Posts: 10
    I just purchased a 2012 civic coupe LX AT today. Total out of door is $17,800. No extend warranty, but got a lot of freebees. Is this a good deal?
  • Options
    where did you get this price? Can you itemize? How much is the TAX?
  • Options
    Metro Honda @ Union, NJ
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    It is in VA metro area. car charge IS $16990, plus $200 dealer fee, 3% sales tax and tags. The dealer has many civic LX in stock. total out of door is less than $17800. Seems a great markdown of CIVIC in the area. Another dealer easily agreed to sell at OTD price $18000 plus, even before further negotiation.
  • Options
    lgebertlgebert Member Posts: 3
    Just bought my college daughter a 4-dr silver 2012 LX automatic for $17124 plus tax and title transfer fees in Melbourne, Florida. Had to finance through Honda for that price (0.9% for 3 years) and also had to assign a $700 rebate on the finance back to the dealership. The Civic was a replacement for a Corolla that was a total loss in an accident, so my daughter had the cash to purchase the car, but we couldn't negotiate as good a price on a cash purchase - plus the interest rate couldn't be beat.

My husband likes the car so much that he is considering an EX-L to replace his 2002 Chevrolet truck. Curious as to what the EX-L's (with and without navigation) are selling for in central Florida.
  • Options
    buddlightbuddlight Member Posts: 1
    Hi Kimo,

Which dealership? Thanks!
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is hoping to find someone who recently bought a new car and took out a car loan for the first time in a few years.
    Please respond by Tuesday, February 7, 2012 with your daytime contact information and a few words about your experience.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    theslinktheslink Member Posts: 5
    Just bought a 2012 Honda Civic EX-L in Wisconsin for $22,166 OTD with 1.9% financing.
    Purchase price was $20,782.
    Sticker was $22,725.
  • Options
    That's a pretty good price. Does it have navigation?
  • Options
    No Nav. Only addition to the standard EX-L is all-season floor mats.
  • Options
    Virginia's Honda Tysons Corner and Maryland's Honda Pohanka
  • Options
    Even without the navigation, I think its a bit better than what they are asking down here.
  • Options
    Just got an email from a local dealer, the follwing is their quote. confirmed that the price is freight included. Anyone any ideas?

2012 Civic Sedans

Civic LX manual $14,721
    Civic LX auto $15,521 (Lease for only $163 with 0 down!)
    Civic HF auto $16,321
    Civic EX auto $17,371
    Civic EX Navi auto $18,871
    Civic EXL auto $18,821
    Civic EXL Navi auto $20,321
  • Options
    Prices are very good, just don't pay more than 100 dollars in doc fees, Taxes & Title fees are non-negotiable.
    Avoid extra equipment as well.

Thanks... happy buying
  • Options
    too bad. I already bought from another dealer. too rush. regretting.
  • Options
    You bought it, that means you got a better price than already quoted, so why the regret? M'i missing something?
  • Options
    After my purchase from another dealer, I got this dealer's price quote email. This good price really means bad to me because I lost a couple of thousands dollars compared with my purchase.
  • Options
    Those prices seem way too good to be true...are you sure there wasn't fine print indicating "with trade-in" or "with 10% down"?
  • Options
    I will feel better if the numbers were not true. But who know? Dealers are the most tricky ones in this world. You can not figure out whether there is hidden charge somewhere else. Anyway, I am not going to do advertising work for them:)
  • Options
    spartacus11_2spartacus11_2 Member Posts: 1
    What dealership is this list from and what city/state? I am looking at civics here in phoenix AZ.
    Thank you.
    Josh
  • Options
    It is a Virgina one. You can easily search online to find all competitive offers of these Northern Virginia dealers. Dont want to do advertising work for them. But can PM you if you really need the name.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Can you pls email or post the name of the dealer or just the exact location.
    if you want you can email me - mostwantedakash @ gmail.com thank you.
  • Options
    Emailed. Please check.
  • Options
    Thanks .. I confirmed with the dealer - they will add destination and handling charges on top of this price and these prices have anyway expired.