Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

convert chevelle front brakes from drum to disc

w69chvyw69chvy Member Posts: 1
edited April 2014 in Chevrolet
Hello,
I have a 69 Chevelle Malibu with all drum brakes.
I purchased a 1970 Old Cutlass Supreme and removed the spindles, brake lines(rubber hoses)w/brackets, the proportioning valve and the lines down to the distribution block including the block. My question is: 1. Should I get the proportioning valve for a 69 Chevelle. 2. Do I get upper and lower ball joints for a 69 Chevelle.
3. The spindles are fine as far as I can tell. After checking the thickness on the rotors I think I might need new ones. The bearings seem fine. Should I replace? I hope I asked all! If not, any assistance is appreciated.
Wayne
w69chvy@swbell.net

Comments

• Options
    jgmilbergjgmilberg Member Posts: 872
    Go onto the GM a-body disc brake conversion topic. Mr_Shiftright "Disc Brake Upgrades for GM "A" Bodies" Mar 21, 2001 5:45pm

The ball joints and prop valve should be the same ask at the parts store, they will cross reference them for you. Get the master cylinder too, it is different from the all drum one. The cars are the same except for the sheetmetal, so it should interchange without a hitch.

Good luck. Could you tell me how much you paid for the set-up? I have a Cutlass S and want to do the same thing. Keep us informed as to how it goes.
This discussion has been closed.