Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MX-5 Miata Accessories & Modifications

Comments

• jickybobjickybob Member Posts: 3
    Here is a link to a calculator because it is important that if you increase your wheel size or change the profile, that you have your speedometer re calculated or that you know you will not be going to same speed as your speedo claims because it will be changing the ratio... Here is the link

link title

go there and check it out!
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    That increases the unsprung weight substantially. I doubt the stock springs can even handle that much weight.

Here's what I mean - the stock 14"x6" rims weigh just 12 lbs or so. The BBS rims on some SE models weighed just *nine* pounds.

Even forged 17"s will probably weight close to double, maybe even more. You'll have to swap out the whole suspension else the wheel will be hopping up and down overwhelming the shocks that just can't handle that kind of unsprung weight.

I just think 17" is too radical. That's my opinion, anyway.

-juice
  • manybmwsmanybmws Member Posts: 347
    They should do the whole front. How much did they charge you?
    Any recommendations for a 2006 MX-5?
  • philmx5philmx5 Member Posts: 8
    They did the front of the hood, the front of the side fenders, the back of the mirrors, and under the door handles. $500. I think I got ripped-off. I assumed they would do the whole bumper but you know what happens when you assume. I was trying to get a feel for what is normal so I know whether to complain or not.
    COMPLAIN! I looked at my bumper cover at 3,000 miles and there are chips. For $500 they HAVE to do the entire front.

I had quotes ranging from $500 to $599 for mine. I will get it done after I take it out of Winter storage. I did it to my 530i - the entire front - 3 years ago and it has eliminated any front end scaring.
  • done37done37 Member Posts: 64
    Robbins from what I can tell is the major manufacturer of aftermarket soft tops. You can get cloth, vinyl and many different configurations. One of the configurations I am interested in is a zipperless glass window top. You can find them at MossMotors as well as other online websites. Miata.net is a great resource to access these different sites. They don't however have a forum thats as comprehensive as this one. Good luck! ;)
    That's what I got, Robbins zipperless. Vinyl material, glass window.

You do give up the option to drive with the "bikini top", i.e. all windows open but the top up.

I was OK with that.

-juice
    Hows that Zipperless top workin for ya. I am really close to buying one and other than only being able to go 2/3 bikini how do you feel about the construction, the up and down operation, and was it difficult to install? Your opinion would be most appreciated!
    To be honest, it's a little bit finicky. I installed it myself, so maybe that's why.

I had to add those two straps that pull one of the beams down while you are lowering the top. Some times it sort of snags on the vinyl, I have to manuall push the window glass down slightly to get it to go all the way down. That doesn't happen in warm weather because the vinyl is more flexible, but when it's cold and the vinyl is hard, it's tougher to get the top down.

That may be the non-professional install job, though, so it's hard to say.

There are a couple of minor wrinkles near the rear window, but no wind or water leaks, anything like that..

-juice
    That settles it. I am gettin the zipperless window. It seems to me those are all minor nuisances compared to zipping and unzipping the window every time. My wife wants cloth as well, which might help with fit during cold weather.

Thanks Juice! ;)
    Not sure if you can see them here, but just to the sides of the glass, they're kinda minor I guess. See how they flare out juuuuust a tad? I think I am being picky...

-juice
    Barely noticeable. Actually it looks great.
    Thanks. Did it myself.

Took a day to remove the old one, a day to put that on. Not an easy job! Get help if you do it yourself. Get a cordless drill to help, too.

-juice
  • oaktownoaktown Member Posts: 1
    I am all but set on buying an '07 PRHT.

I love almost everything about the car, but the Bose stereo in the GT was very disappointing. The speakers are clearly in need of an upgrade, but it is difficult to tell if the head unit will drive a good set of speakers effectively.

It also looks like it would be pretty difficult to add aftermarket units that would fit cleanly.

Any recommendations on audio upgrades?
  • jamesg34jamesg34 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I have an 06 MX-5 Miata, my question is, can the head light beam be adjusted-cars at night are flashing there lights.
    Can't get an answer from the dealer.
    Hi James, I can't figure why the dealer can't give you an answer. If you spoke with the salesman that sold you the car about the headlights and he didn't have or couldn't get the answer, then I would go straight to the service department. If its a safety issue, they have to provide resolution to your issue. I am sorry that I don't have an answer, I am bewildered as you. Good luck

Don
    I would not bother. I own a 2006 GT and with the right audio source - i.e. CD or Sat - it can sound pretty good. Believe it or not the Bass needs to be turned down to near 0, then you can crank volume up to 20+.

I have done many high-end, aftermarket audio upgrades from ADS etc. but I am pleased without an upgrade in the GT. I moastly listen to Sirius Sat.
  • jwollman99jwollman99 Member Posts: 2
    I've been waiting for the factory IPOD integration unit to be available for last couple months for my 2007 Mazda Miata w/PHTP, unfortunately because I also have Sirius installed the current version of this is not compatible.

Evidently, both the Sirius and IPOD integration unit use the same input so you can only use one or the other.

The dealer says that a new version for the IPOD integration unit that is compatible with a Sirius installation has currently just released in Japan and will be available soon.

Bummer, really looking forward to playing my IPOD in my new car but I guess I have to continue to wait.
    Will Mazda offer one?
  • rambaldrambald Member Posts: 1
    :cry: I just totaled my '95 Miata and have purchased a '00 as a replacement. A few years ago, I purchased (online) a factory type, permanent mounting, chrome luggage rack. I loved it, because it was functional, looked nice and allowed much more visibility (because of the low profile). Now, I can't find them anywhere. Can anyone help me?
  • erics6erics6 Member Posts: 684
    Miata.net has a lot of vendors... Moss, GoMiata, etc. I assume someone still makes one.
  • dcrislerdcrisler Member Posts: 118
    the reprogram the advanced keyless options... the owners manual was very clear about it. I had mine done and I love the feature.
  • tallcoolonenytallcooloneny Member Posts: 1
    Anybody know of a reputable source for a decent used hardtop for a '99 Miata? They seem to be hard to find.....
    Miata.net classified, Craigslist or your local junkyard. Prices range $800-$1500.
    Used, definitely. Even an 8 year old top was probably not used most of the time, so it's relative "age" is far lower.
  • terrypm1terrypm1 Member Posts: 79
    I have seen people add an air horn to the cars. The stock horn is kinda wimpy. One blast of the air horn and people will move out of your way.
    Some of those have a slight delay before you have sound.

I did replace my horn, but with a slightly louder "honk" rather than the wimpy OE "beep".
  • ggustaggusta Member Posts: 3
    I have a bicycling buddy whose only vehicle is a 2006 miata. There are very very limited options for bike racks. He has purchased what is apparently the only rack that specifically states it's for a miata. It's by Allen. Don't know the model.

Due to the flimsy fiberglass bumper, the clips will not hold on, ast he bumper flexes and releases the clip. It also sits the bike quite low to the ground.

Has anyone encountered a rack tha works better or have a solution? Our guy at the regular local bike shop advised the easiest solution may be to have a mechanic DRILL from underneath the vehicle into the steel/aluminum under the fiberglass bumper and affix some sort of eyelet to allow a stabe strong clipping to occur.

Apparently a hitch rack and of course a roof rack is not an option.

Please email directly with any known solutions.

[email protected]
    I'd suggest getting a hitch and adding a hitch bike rack. I think a couple of companies sell a hitches that fit the Miata.
    I've seen them, too, but I'm a bit torn.

Why? Well, officially, the Miata isn't rated for towing. A rack and a couple of bikes will probably put a good 100-120 lbs or so of tongue weight. Payload for mine is only 360 lbs to begin with, so with 2 people inside it's already overloaded.

Any how, companies do make hitches that fit. The tie-down hooks come off, and the hitch bolts in their place, behind the bumper.

I still would not recommend this. I'm 205 lbs, add the wife and we're over 300, add a bike rack and two bikes and we'd be well over the rated payload.
  • guitardaveguitardave Member Posts: 2
    I have a 90 Miata with the original stereo in it - I bought some speakers for the headrests hoping that would solve my problem - that being that the stereo is very tinney and sharp - well that didnt really help - I'm thinking that my next move is to install an aftermarket radio/cd changer - but my question is this - Is it possible to get good sound from a stereo in a convertible with the top down?

thanks
    Yes.

The OE stereo sends very little sound to the headrest speakers. They get much less wattage than the door speakers do. I've seen mods where people change that on Miata.net.
  • sher2327sher2327 Member Posts: 43
    Are splash guards necessary? If so, does the dealer have to order and install them or can you get them to match from someone other than Mazda and install yourself?
    Thanks
  • dpatersondpaterson Member Posts: 1
    I have a Brompton folding bike that sits on the passenger seat. Seat belt secures it. Check out http://www.foldabikes.com/ in the Bay area.
  • wilzapwilzap Member Posts: 107
    I'm going to order a set for mine,I asked the dealer about them and was told if I order them through him they will be covered on the warranty,My brother in law gets special pricing W/mazda through the Miata club he is with,I'm going to see if there is a big price difference and if there is I'm going to get them through my bro and put them on myself. when he gets back in town this weekend I'm going to have him look into this I will let you know the difference,I think its a good deal through him,I might join the club,always thought it would be kinda geeky but last weekend I took a fall colors drive with them and having 50 MX-5's on the roads together was kinda cool,unfortunately it rained.Oh and I think they are necessary to help against rock chips and other road trash/oils
  • sher2327sher2327 Member Posts: 43
    Thanks. I look forward to hearing from you!
  • thehighlifethehighlife Member Posts: 5
    I wanted to know what I can do to a miata (performance) for a cheap price. Just wanted to get 20 or so horsepower out of the engine. Any advice?
  • wilzapwilzap Member Posts: 107
    A K&N air filter ( which doesn't need to be replaced, just cleaned ) will get you a couple more HP and a little better MPG,they run about $45,and a higher preformance exhaust system may get you a few more, other than that, to get that much HP out of it I don't think it would easy or cheap..
    Thanks for the advice. I'll look into that. :)
    Whats the best lowering kit (for handling, performance, and some what comfortable) for a 1997 miata? Dont want to look like i cut the springs.
    Check out this vendor:

http://www.gomiata.com/

The aftermarket for these cars is strong...more stuff that I could ever buy in a lifetime.
    Thanks for that website it is the best one ive seen for miatas. What do you think of racing beat (the company in general)?
    I've heard of them, but never purchased anything, so I can't really tell you one way or the other.

I think I got my top from Go Miata. I'm still on their mailing list. Once in a while they have free shipping specials. Register so you get those types of offers.
    I'll look into that. Thanks for the help. :)
  • emcmx5emcmx5 Member Posts: 3
    Hi everyone- I'm from So. eastern centeral Calif in the Tehachapi mountain range which is 38 miles east of Bakersfield and 35 miles northwest of Palmdale and Lancaster Calif. My wife and I have a '06 MX-5 w/ auto trans. . .what a kick! I have installed a Kn Cold Air Filter-57A6023 which you can get from KN or order it from Auto Zone. This gives about 5-6 added hp. It is easy to install, TAKE YOUR TIME and read instructions carefully. I am running Royal Purple 5-20. No problems. I also run 36 psi in the Yoka's dvan A11A, the door sticker says 29 but in our type of driving we get an additional 3-4 miles/gal. My next set of tires are going to be General Altimax HP. Check out Tire Rack's site as well as Good-Win-Racing here in Calif-GREAT STUFF and Forum HAPPY MOTORING & ZOOOOOM ZOOOOM!
  • red1993red1993 Member Posts: 1
    Good Day, I just bought my first miata about 2 weeks ago and I am looking into some performance mods. I read about a few and then read about they were not worth the time and cash. need someones opinion. I want to do the following.: major tune up plug wires etc, But I read that the splitfire plugs recommended are bad news for the engine in that it misses ,bogs down and even the electrodes break. Headers -heard of only about 4 HP increase, Cold air intake but which one? I am in NC in a town near Charlotte My name is Earl. Any help appreciated! :)
  • emcmx5emcmx5 Member Posts: 3
    Hi Earl- -Here are some suggestions re 'tune-up'. I have found that if you stay with "NGK' brand plug wires and plugs you CAN'T go wrong. Look up 'NGK's' web site for plugs and wires. Cold air intake- KN 57A6023 for NC 2006 and up. Check out Good Win Racing for headers and exhaust(s). Also look at Miatamania.com for a full list of racing and performance stuff. Let us all know . ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOM ZOOOOOOOOOOOM.
  • tamie53tamie53 Member Posts: 1
    I have an old 1991 Mazda Miata an I really like it. But I would also like to fix it up with a new body kit. Is there any that are more recomended than others? keeping a low price range. (I'm also starting to like the hard tops). Any advice would be great the more i learn the better.
    -Thanks
  • dugldugl Member Posts: 10
    The tone of the stock exhaust on my 2008 seems to have a deep growl....deeper than a typical 4 cyl rice burner a 16 yr old might drive, but how much effect would removing the resonator tips have on the sound ? I'd rather have it deep & quieter than louder & tinny.
This discussion has been closed.